A Swelltering, Sweaty, Glowing Mess

So this might just be me, but when I run in the summer I feel like I’m getting so much more out of it. I usually do not like sweating, but when I work out, I want to sweat. A lot. I feel like it’s working better then, so bring on the summer months. If they say girls glisten and glow and don’t sweat, they are simply crazy. Some of my best runs  have been when I come home completely drenched and my shirt stuck to me. That’s just me though.

Then I have the conundrum of my laundry. What to do with laundry. Do you leave your sweaty clothes out to ‘dry’ for a little bit before putting them in the hamper? Do you put all your stinky sweaty laundry in with the same clothes that you wear normally? I used to just combine everything together that but I started to realize that things were getting overwhelmingly stinky! Thus entered another hamper!

I put two hampers next to each other in my closet and now wha-la I have one stinky yucky hamper and one regular clothes hamper. The thing I do to also help keep things a little bit cleaner is instead of just throwing super gross stuff RIGHT into the hamper and letting it rot in there, I try to air it out a little bit in advance, hanging things over the door handle or a hook for a couple hours and then throw it in the hamper. It seems to help out.

So therefore after a run, my bathroom always looks like this:

I’ve also tried the special ‘sports’ detergent, numerous kinds, but I honestly don’t feel like it doesn’t anything extra that regular laundry detergent doesn’t do and with the prices that it goes for, I’d rather just stick to the regular stuff.

What do you guys do with your laundry? Does it hang out to ‘dry’ for a bit or just go straight in the hamper? Do you find the sports detergents work? Does sweating more make you feel like you are getting more out of the workout, or am I the lone freak?

On the running side, I wasted 3 hours of my life last night watching the Bachelorette finale and After the Final Rose. Worthless! I couldn’t wake up early this morning so I’ve got 8.5 ‘hard’ miles after work today. I’m actually looking forward to it. I can’t believe it, but I’m almost onto Phase Three of my training for Camarillo, and it’s only 61 days away!

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

45 Comments

• Reply Nobel4Lit (A Case of the Runs)

Airing out definitely helps. Otherwise, there’s not much that can be done. I used to think it was just me, until I opened one of my boyfriend’s closet doors where his hamper is and yep… not just me.

I’ve tried some of those detergents (reviews can be found on my blog if you search for “Sport Wash”), but what I recently found might work better is that Tide Sports detergent w/Febreeze. I got a sample in the mail and loved it!

August 3, 2010 at 9:15 am
  • Reply Nobel4Lit (A Case of the Runs)

P.S. Also looking forward to Camarillo (half, though!)!

August 3, 2010 at 9:15 am
  • Reply Audrey

I carelessly toss the workout clothes on the floor of my room until they’re dry and then I toss them into the hamper with the rest of my clothes. I figure they’re all dirty anyway and they’re going to get cleaned so why not! :)

August 3, 2010 at 9:39 am
  • Reply J

I usually hang my clothes in my bathroom too! I have a hook on the back of the door so I put them there, let them dry then wash them later. I have tried to put them outside to dry after a workout but usually I forget.

August 3, 2010 at 9:44 am
  • Reply Nicole

i always dry my sweaty clothes out for a day before i throw them in the hamper. less stinky that way…. & if for some reason, all my clothes may be dirty, i dont have to dig through the hamper for a pair of shorts! ha. thats probably gross but its how i roll!

August 3, 2010 at 10:00 am
  • Reply Shannon

We usually put our active wear into a separate hamper, too. I’ve been meaning to pick up some of the sport’s detergent, but now that you said it doesn’t work, I think I’ll bypass that! Thx!

August 3, 2010 at 10:02 am
  • Reply Jaime Runs

I usually drape them over the edge of the hamper until they’re dry then drop them in with the rest of the dirty clothes.

August 3, 2010 at 10:31 am
  • Reply Jocelyn

I kind of lay my close out if they are really soaked. I have never had an issue with things mixing and continuing to smell bad. I do wash all my stuff about once a week so I am normally safe!

August 3, 2010 at 10:38 am
  • Reply Librarian on the Run

I try to drape or hang up sweaty clothes to dry before putting them in the hamper with all of my other clothes.

As for special detergent, I read in Bicycling Magazine that pouring some hydrogen peroxide into the washer works the same as sports detergent, so I tried it. The problem was that the magazine didn’t say how much to use, and the half a cup I did use didn’t do anything.

August 3, 2010 at 10:38 am
  • Reply Kali

I keep everything in a separate hamper far away from my other clothes. I tried airing my running clothes out in the bathroom once, but I live with my parents and they weren’t too happy about the smell!

August 3, 2010 at 10:55 am
  • Reply Marleah

You’re definitely not the only one who enjoys sweating when working out. I did an HIIT interval routine at the track this morning instead of my normal 3 miles around town. To finish up, I did some pushups and crunches on the sidewalk and left big sweat spots on the concrete!!

August 3, 2010 at 11:13 am
  • Reply Marathon Maritza

I loooooove getting good and sweaty (That’s what she said.)

I hang my clothes to dry (I have an over the door 5-hook thing specifically for it) but then I just dump them in the regular hamper with all the other stuff when they are dry. I agree with you the the sport detergents are not any different to me than the regular kind.

August 3, 2010 at 11:18 am
  • Reply Jessica

I usually let things dry out before putting them in the hamper. My bathtub looks like a running store display most days!

As for workouts, the sweatier, the better! I’ve noticed that the more I sweat, the more toned I am.

August 3, 2010 at 11:40 am
  • Reply Maura

I absolutely notice a difference with Penguin wash (or Nikwax’s tech wash). I didn’t like the residue that I got from Win detergent and I don’t think my clothes actually smelled clean. Detergents leave behind residues that interfere with the fabric’s performance.

August 3, 2010 at 11:49 am
  • Reply Missy

I hang out my running clothes before they go in the hamper, because they always seem to be drenched….also I feel like I’m working harder when I sweat more too! I haven’t tried any sport washes, so I’m not sure how those work.

August 3, 2010 at 12:08 pm
  • Reply aron

chris and i have two laundry baskets and one is devoted to workout clothes. i usually use WIN detergent but have been trying the tide sports one and it works pretty good too :)

August 3, 2010 at 12:14 pm
  • Reply TriGirl

I, too, keep all my sweaty workout clothes in a separate hamper. And believe me when I say sweaty… living down here in the South with the heat and the humidity (78 degrees with 94% humidity at 6 am SUCKS!) I can literally squeeze the sweat out of my clothes when I get back from a run. I know… TMI, right? Anyway, I always do a load of sweaty clothes at least every other day (even if it’s only a small load) and I have found that Tide Febreze Sport works wonders. In addition, I always rinse twice. :)

August 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm
  • Reply abbi

I leave mine out to dry and once dry goes in with everything else.

August 3, 2010 at 1:02 pm
  • Reply Tobi N

Because we have 2 kids at home, we do laundery pretty much nightly, so I just throw it straight into the washer, then later, I add other clothes to it and wash away! No special detergents either!

August 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm
  • Reply Tara

I always let my stuff airdry becasue otehrwise i fear it would get moldy and nasty in my hamper! Lol I also love to sweat and do feel like a good sweat session in the summer is amazing!

August 3, 2010 at 1:52 pm
  • Reply christina cadden

I live in Texas and I run usually about 4-5 when it is still 100+ degrees. I love it and I feel like when I sweat more I am getting more. However, I have to let my workout clothes dry before putting them in the hamper.

August 3, 2010 at 2:41 pm
  • Reply TorontoGirloutWest

I don’t mind the sweat so much as the fact I can’t get rid of the SMELL from the clothing! Even when they’re washed they just don’t end up as fresh as my non-running clothing.

And unfortunately they don’t sell sport detergents in Canada.

August 3, 2010 at 3:08 pm
  • Reply Pam

I usually leave mine on the bathroom floor until they have dried a bit..then the hamper with the rest of the dirties.

August 3, 2010 at 5:11 pm
  • Reply Shelley B

I hang everything to dry and then throw into my regular hamper. Haven’t tried the sports detergents yet but I would like to…then again, I’m really to cheap to buy a specialty product like that.

August 3, 2010 at 7:33 pm
  • Reply Katie D from Run Little Legs

I’ve been tossing my workout clothes in the hamper with the other regular clothes and noticed the same thing. Another hamper? You are a genius. Guess I’m off to Target tomorrow!

August 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm
  • Reply Ann

Mine go straight into a bucket with cold water and a bit of sport detergent to soak. Sometimes when they are really stinky I rinse them out with me in the shower, all this before I wash them. Also hanging them to dry outside in the wind makes them fresh as new. The UV kills all the bacteria.

August 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm
  • Reply Emily

Eel, I can’t wait that long! When Huz & I do a run, he tosses his moist laundry straight into the washer. I run the small load, with a scoop of Oxy Clean & regular detergent, once I get cleaned up. Then hang dry the delicate bits & we are good for our next run. Even having the skunky socks in my hamper was giving my closet a funk. None of that! I think my running wear is holding up well with the delicate cycle. Huz’s hat certainly is!
    Happy running!
    @emjohnston

August 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm
  • Reply Layla

I hang my clothes on the bathroom door knob, too. When they’re dry, they go in with the rest of my dirty clothes. But in the meantime I have to grab hold of the sweaty clothes to open the door, so maybe I should get a hook.

I tried a sample of the Penguin wash, and it seemed to work pretty well. But I’m cheap, and I’ve found that adding either vinegar or baking soda to the washing machine seems to work, too.

August 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm
  • Reply Courtney

I rinse mine out in the shower when I get home, then hang them. Once they’re dry, they go in the hamper.

August 4, 2010 at 5:04 am
  • Reply Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner

Nothing that I love more than coming home from a workout drenched! I usually let my stuff dry before throwing it in the laundry bag. I also usually wash my sports stuff separately and use the Sports Wash. So far it’s worked well.

August 4, 2010 at 6:56 am
  • Reply Stuart

Morning run, into the laundry bag inside the regular basket, then washed with Prowash and air dried overnight ready for the next day.

Was that wayyyyy TMI!

August 4, 2010 at 7:22 am
  • Reply Emily

I hang my stuff to dry, too. And I wash it separately with Tide sports detergent. I really do like the scent. And, yes, I do love a good sweat during a long summer run.

August 4, 2010 at 7:45 am
  • Reply Paul

I also hang my stuff to dry before throwing it in the hamper. I also have two hampers. One for regular everyday clothes and one for sports stuff/ moisture wicking fabric. The second hamper gets washed more frequently and then air dried and oddly enough, it seems like that one fills up faster. :/ You’d think I wore that stuff to work.

August 4, 2010 at 8:56 am
  • Reply Heather

I just wash all my stuff together. I have an awesome washing machine so everything comes out fresh and clean!

August 4, 2010 at 9:13 am
  • Reply Vera

I leave both mine and my husband’s sweaty messes hanging either over the shower/bathtub/towel rack to dry out if I can’t throw them into the washer right away. I do use the Tide with Febreeze sports wash. It makes a difference with my hubby’s clothes. Otherwise, I sometimes have to wash his shirts twice! LOL!

August 4, 2010 at 10:06 am
  • Reply Jamie

I keep everything in one hamper, but that is mostly because 90% of my laundry is all workout gear.

I do use Tide with febreeze, but mostly out of habit. I don’t know if it works better than regular Tide, but I don’t think it is any more expensive.

I tried the “hang dry” thing for a while, but even when dry, most technical fabric holds stink like nobody’s business! Straight in the door, strip and everything goes in the hamper.

For cycling stuff tho, I sometimes shower with it on and then hang dry. Spandex doesn’t do as well with multiple washings as coolmax does, so washing my bike shorts/jersey in the shower with body wash is my version of the gentle cycle. I just hang it on the bathroom door or curtain rod after. Plus, multitasking saves time!

August 4, 2010 at 10:24 am
  • Reply John at Hella Sound

Yup, I do the separate hamper thing—started that about 8 months ago, and it’s a very good thing. Then I try to wash that laundry as quick as possible. Because: nasty.

I also allowed myself to suckered into the “technical fabric detergent”. I’m not sure it works any better, really.

An ultrarunner friend said he puts his running clothes in the same hamper, but he sprinkles baby powder on top of each layer. I would think that’d gunk up the machine, but apparently it’s working for him.

August 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm
  • Reply Jenn

I hang most of my running clothes (shorts, tee, sports bras) on a small but dedicated dryer rack each day to let them dry out. I wear a “set” of clothes for about a week and then throw those ones in a separate hamper. I toss my running undies and socks into the running hamper every day. I started using the Tide with Febreze, and it works well for me!

August 5, 2010 at 5:56 am
  • Reply Bob

I hang my stuff in the laundry room to dry out a bit before entering the “general population” laundry hamper. I wash workout clothes with the regular laundry with regular laundry detergent.

August 5, 2010 at 8:14 am
  • Reply Julianne

I usually have 2 hampers in the laundry room… Betweeen Duane and me, with our running and his basketball we do laundry pretty frequently. i usually run out of socks or running shorts pretty fast. I usually rinse my running bra in the shower to prevent the stinkies from getting worse to AWFUL. hehe

August 5, 2010 at 10:31 am
  • Reply Aj

LOL! I thought we were the only ones with nasty workout clothes hanging everywhere in the apt! I got so embarassed, I started putting the dirty stuff on the shelf in the closet above the hamper…I’m we’re going to rewear (gross, I know but we have to pay for laundry! I figure stinky is stinky, plus most of my running is at home on the TM with just my partner and my cats to judge me). I do NOT rewear socks though, they get crunchy! Otherwise straight into the hamper, wet or not. Dirty clothes are dirty clothes, right?

August 5, 2010 at 2:51 pm
  • Reply Lauren

I scoop of Borax (http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about#laundry) in all my workout clothes loads. Amazing the difference!

August 6, 2010 at 11:19 am
  • Reply Sonja

Add a little white vinegar to your laundry and it gets any smells out……

August 9, 2010 at 6:57 am
  • Reply Kim

Use one cup of baking soda in each load, no matter the clothes. Takes out smells and mustiness. I buy the huge bag from Costco and pour into a gallon ice cream bucket with a measuring cup.

August 12, 2010 at 7:45 am
  • Reply Deborah Morrison

I put wet clothes on hanger to dry and then put in laundry hamper until wash day.

January 7, 2012 at 6:51 pm