20 miler. CHECK!

So FINALLY I got in a decent 20 miler. I haven’t had that in… probably almost a year. The night before I laid really low and got prepared for it. Since I’m a giant klutz, I also totally jammed my knee into the corner of our ottoman in our living room. An awesome insta-bruise was there and now I have a giant knot on it, but I was nervous that it would be really sore when I woke up, but it wasn’t. I was also nervous about the tummy issues.

So before bed I took one Imodium. Slept a solid 6.5 hours and woke up ready to go. I was a little nervous but I wanted to do loops a park that has a mile long loop by my house. Why I thought this was a brilliant idea, I don’t know. So off I went after taking another Imodium and salt pill before starting. At mile 6 I ate half a peanut butter and jelly and took another salt pill. I drank water each mile. Then I was at mile 12, and ate another peanut butter and jelly and took my last salt pill. Around mile 18 I started getting really tired but just kept telling myself to keep pushing through and that I was almost there. I ran REALLY slow, but I wanted to conserve energy so that I wouldn’t be completely dead at the end. It worked and I finished with walking only about three minutes. I didn’t have any bathroom issues and fueled properly, for once!

YES! The downside was the HORRIBLE tan lines I acquired! Ugh!My back is even worse since I was wearing a tank with a weird back design and now it’s like lines all over the place. I am going to the lake in two weeks and this is going to look awesome in a bathing suit. ha ha. Oh well.

The rest of the day was spent, after an icebath of course, running around town doing some errands. I dropped some dinero at the good old forever 21, where they had these awesome sweaters on sale! They are the perfect ‘longer fall sweater for layering’ in my opinion.

And the best part is that they are longer so they work with leggings without your butt being out there. So I picked up some and I saw this but am still on the fence about it. I have it in a 3/4 sleeve option and love it, so I might end up getting it as well.

I’m such a sweater girl. I would rather wear a tank with a sweater over top of it any day of the week.

Then I had the most delicious dinner ever yesterday too. I have this new thing that I was taught by a co-worker of putting avocados in my cottage cheese. You just scoop some out and mix it together and it’s delicious! :)

That’s a little spinach and cheese stuffed salmon! YUM! :) Overall it was a great weekend and I’m still stoked that I got my 20 miler done. I needed that for confidence and I actually am not sore at all, besides the bruise and knot on my knee.

17 Responses to 20 miler. CHECK!

1. Felice says:

Nice job on that 20! Glad it was a good one. Dinner looks good, too :-)

2. Kelly says:

awesome job on the 20! love the cardigans :)

3. Congrats on your 20 miles. Question for you: Do you think the salt pills help you?

4. Billy says:

*high five* to not crapping in your shorts!

5. joerunfordom says:

Danica – now that sounds like an amazing Sunday – rocking a 20-miler, kick-butt shopping trip and a great dinner.

That is great, great stuff. short of the last .20 of a marathon – I love the final mile of my 20-milers in training.

Such a rush of satisfaction getting that workout crossed off of the refrigerator.

Congratulations! You are rocking this training cycle.

Best from Austin! Joe

6. Stacy says:

Avocado and cottage cheese?!? LOL I’m still not sold. Congrats on doing a 20 miler :)

7. Matt says:

Congrats on 20 miles! That is awesome!

8. Jessica says:

Great job on the run!! That dinner looks yummy…makes me want to whip up some guac.

Love the 20 miler DONE! So proud of you D!!! your gonna kick some marathon butt! I love the sweaters also! time to hit up forever! :)

10. Stuart says:

Gotta love the Zebra tan!

hmm hmm sexy!

11. nice run.

I tried imodium out on my 18 mile run and it worked pretty well for me too. I might try the one before bed next long run – I took 2 about 30 minutes before my run and had only minor issues.

12. J says:

Congrats on the awesome 20 miler! Glad you didn’t have any problems! I have been trying to eat more avocado! Looks so good!

13. Hey that’s my avocado dip recipe! Avocado, cottage cheese, garlic salt and some red pepper flakes!

Love the sweaters and good job on the 20 miler!

14. Tara says:

awesome job girl! that dinner looks amazing…yum!

15. Congrats on your 20! Good for you that you got it done!

16. jeri says:

great job on knocking that 20 miler out! and now I have to have the grey and white cardi. Damn you. :p

17. t says:

Ok….I’m doing my first full in October (I did my first half in April). I’ve done two 20-milers and plan to do two more. I’m still NERVOUS about making that 6 mile jump and I keep thinking I should do a 22. An experienced friend thinks I’m crazy. I’m slow (10 min miles), and I just don’t want to collapse at 24+ on race day. What do ya’ll think,,, should I do a 22?