The finished new room!

So I’m not a designer, nor am I creative at all. It it really hard for me to envision things and I like a lot of masculine stuff when it comes to bedspreads and that type of thing. I didn’t want my room to be all about running and wanted to make it all bright and girly. Then I realized, guess what I do. I run. A lot. It’s what I do and it’s who I am. I’m a little bit of a tomboy in a lot of aspects too. So therefore I decided I would just make my room a true reflection of me, a runner.

This is my lovely bed! The wall behind my bed is painted gray but it almost came out with a blueish tint. It also matches a color in my LA Marathon print I got from The Restitution Press perfectly, which I love. It also gives it a little color as well. The bed is the same bed I’ve had and I added a new duvet cover from Walmart! I also got that pillow from Target that was snagged by Shea (forever grateful) and I got the chandelier pillow from TJ Maxx a long time ago. Yes, that is a dirty pink bear on the left side. :) It was from my mom when I was a baby when she was in New York at FAO Schwartz. She also got me that matching smaller one in the little bookshelf on the left side.

This is a close up of the picture, you can see more over here, when I first posted about it and going to the show in San Fran a while back. Just got a poster picture frame from Target and hung it above my bed.

This is the view from my bed into the backyard. See the little puppies bed on the patio steps and my dresser and TV. I love the sunlight and how it brightens and opens up my room.

This is next to my bed. I have a fan and then my favorite saying ever that the lovely Kate recommended to me and I purchased from Hijirik Studios on Etsy! That’s also the door to my closet.

This is also another little picture section that I have in my room. I tried to de-clutter my room and I think I did a good job. Now since my desk can go in the ‘office’ I have more room and I put some of my favorite pictures in there and then another picture of where I used to run down in Long Beach is hanging on the wall above it.

Then, this is my favorite part of my room! I put my bibs in a shadow box and put my medals on top of the bibs to create a place to have them all showcased and not look jank! I also linked all the medal’s to my race report if you wanted to read any of them.

Here is medal shadow box 1! I have a bunch of bibs in here for the background and also here are the medals from left to right: The Angel Stadium 5k that I placed first in my age group, The Heroes for Hope 10k that I placed first in my age group, The CA Dreamin Finishers medal, The Quench the fire 5k that I placed first in my age group, the Nike Human Race 10k finishers medal, the 2008 Long Beach Half Marathon Finishers medal (my first half!) The San Diego  Rock and Roll Marathon (my first full!) and then the 2010 Surf City Half Marathon Medal.

And here is shadow box number 2! I hung the La Palma Run For Fun 10k medal on the side since I just got it 4th of July weekend. But left to right in this one: 2009 California International Marathon medal, 2010 LA Marathon medal, 2009 Malibu Marathon medal, 2009 Surf City Half Marathon medal, 2009 Long Beach Marathon medal (my FAVORITE race! and now I work for them :) ), 2009 San Francisco Half Marathon medal, and Race on the Base 10k 3rd place age group medal.

I LOVE these shadow boxes and I feel like it’s a great way to show off my medals, which I am really proud of in my room that is artistic and somewhat creative, instead of just hanging them all on a rack. I also feel like they are much safer in the cases, not saying anyone is going to steal them, but safer against fading and dust!

I love my new room and how it turned out! I am a runner and I’m glad I decided to show this stuff off in my room.

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

35 Comments

• Reply Alex

Love the shadow boxes. What a great idea!

July 14, 2010 at 8:42 am
  • Reply Billy

Nicely done Danica…and not at all “jank” :)

July 14, 2010 at 8:46 am
  • Reply Sonja {ActiveFoodie}

I LOVE the shadow box medal idea! I’m crying a little on the inside because I didn’t keep my first few medals (or bibs) and now I wish I had that I am racing more! From now on I’m keeping them ALL, and I will honor them in the same way you have! I also LOVE that quote you have framed, it is so inspirational :)

July 14, 2010 at 8:47 am
  • Reply Muffy

WOW! Looks great!!!! FANTASTIC and FABULOUS!!!!

July 14, 2010 at 8:50 am
  • Reply Kelly

Love the shadow boxes! I’ve been meaning to do something with all my bibs and medals. This is perfect! Love your room!

July 14, 2010 at 9:07 am
  • Reply Jocelyn

SOOO Cute! You did a great job and are more than welcome to come design my bedroom :)
    Love the bibs/metal idea. Might have to steal that :)

July 14, 2010 at 9:10 am
  • Reply Jessica

I like the shadow box idea for race bibs & medals! Nice job on the decorations!

July 14, 2010 at 9:38 am
  • Reply Meghan

The shadow box idea is awesome! I never know what to do with my medals and can’t bear to throw my race bibs away. Great idea. That Etsy print is super cute too.

July 14, 2010 at 9:38 am
  • Reply Aj

You’re so cute! I love the room. And I’m absolutely dying over those shadow boxes. I’ve been wondering what to do with mine (they hang off my memory board, but then they sound like windchimes when we run the fan). I keep my bibs in my running journal, along with my goals and performance. But maybe I could cut up my race t-shirts for behind medals. Lord knows I’m not wearing them since they are so ill-fitting. Not jank at all (I love that word, use it ALL the dang time).

July 14, 2010 at 9:45 am
  • Reply Morgan

Love, love the shadow boxes! I know my weekend project now!

Just one question, because I too am not at all crafty, how do those medals stay up there?

July 14, 2010 at 9:50 am
  • Reply aron

LOVE it!!! i love that we have a few matching medals also <3

July 14, 2010 at 11:33 am
  • Reply Marlene

LOVE the room, Danica! Looks great!! Awesome medal showcasing too!

July 14, 2010 at 11:37 am
  • Reply Robyn

Love those shadowboxes!! I wish I had enough to make one, but maybe one day I’ll run in as many races as you:) The room looks fab!

July 14, 2010 at 11:55 am
  • Reply Shelley B

Your room looks great – I like your style. Loving (and coveting) the shadowboxes – hopefully I will earn my first medal on November 20th. Long way from all of your bling, but hey, you never know!

July 14, 2010 at 12:22 pm
  • Reply Lauren

Oooh! I’m moving and have been trying to figure out how to display my medals! My grandfather whittled (LEGIT) a medal holder for me, but I need more space since it only holds 5 medals…. where did you get your shadow boxes?

July 14, 2010 at 12:28 pm
  • Reply Pam

Love the room! I love the picture above the bed too! I have kept all my race bibs and now I am thinking maybe I should do something to show them off rather than just tack them on a corkboard in my guest bedroom. :)

July 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm
  • Reply dela1000

LOVE the shadow boxes!! That is such a great idea!

And that looks suspiciously like ESPN on the tube :-)

July 14, 2010 at 3:07 pm
  • Reply Heather

great post! your room is super cute. I love the idea of teh shadowboxes and bibs with medals. i may have to steal it!

July 14, 2010 at 3:40 pm
  • Reply Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly

I love you room…it’s perfect!

July 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm
  • Reply Nicole

I LOVE your room and what you did with it! cant wait to see it in person!!! :)

July 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm
  • Reply Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure

Great room!! Love the shadow box idea for your medal and bibs!! I may have to borrow your idea :)

July 14, 2010 at 5:15 pm
  • Reply Amber

VERY cute room!

1. I love that it looks outside!

2. I LOVE the bib/medal shadow box thing. I am SO doing that!!

July 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm
  • Reply Morgan

Love it! Especially the pic behind the bed and the medal/bib shadow box!!!

July 14, 2010 at 5:57 pm
  • Reply The Laminator

So…are you planning to make a shadow box @3 for your BQ marathon medal? Heehee =)

July 14, 2010 at 7:28 pm
  • Reply Janna (Janna's Keeping it Real)

Oh my gosh! I am so in love with your shadow boxes! What a great idea! My bibs are all just tucked away in my file cabinet. I think this should probably become a future project of mine though! :0)

July 14, 2010 at 9:54 pm
  • Reply shannon

Great idea! Displaying your medals and race numbers in a frame! I love it!

July 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm
  • Reply Katie Heddleston

I absolutely LOVE the shadow box idea!! And the fact that your bibs are the background is perfect! I’m running in my FIRST race next Saturday and already just seeing your awesome shadowboxes makes me want to run in more just so I can be crafty like that — hehe!

July 15, 2010 at 3:11 am
  • Reply runner26

what a fabulous way to display your medals & bibs!! and the rest of your room looks great ;)

July 15, 2010 at 6:56 am
  • Reply Alisa

I love it!

Justin did something similar for me for xmas with my running stuff, such a neat way to display that stuff.

I’m going to be all about the decorating in August when we move into the house.

July 15, 2010 at 7:36 am
  • Reply Sasha

Love your room! You did a great job decorating. I am the WORST at it myself!

July 16, 2010 at 3:42 am
  • Reply RoadBunner

I LOVE LOVE all of it! I am a huge fan of Etsy, too! You an find so many awesome wonderful things at affordable prices there.

July 17, 2010 at 3:48 pm
  • Reply Emily

New room looks great! I’m glad you decided to stay true to yourself. (P.S. I have the same “live what you love” print in my house!)

July 19, 2010 at 7:34 am
  • Reply ChristinaRuns

The room looks AMAZING! I love the LA Marathon artwork and your medals!

July 20, 2010 at 7:54 am
  • Reply Milltini

I love it! It looks really great.

July 20, 2010 at 12:17 pm
  • Reply [jual bagtag|bagtag|bag tag|luggage tag|travel tag|souvenir|wedding souvenir]

Thank you various other useful internet site. The best place in addition may possibly I purchase that sort of facts coded in this type of perfect indicates? I’ve a problem that I’m at the moment working on, we have been receiving the style outside with regard to this sort of facts.

March 21, 2014 at 9:03 pm