The finished new room!

So I’m not a designer, nor am I creative at all. It it really hard for me to envision things and I like a lot of masculine stuff when it comes to bedspreads and that type of thing. I didn’t want my room to be all about running and wanted to make it all bright and girly. Then I realized, guess what I do. I run. A lot. It’s what I do and it’s who I am. I’m a little bit of a tomboy in a lot of aspects too. So therefore I decided I would just make my room a true reflection of me, a runner.

This is my lovely bed! The wall behind my bed is painted gray but it almost came out with a blueish tint. It also matches a color in my LA Marathon print I got from The Restitution Press perfectly, which I love. It also gives it a little color as well. The bed is the same bed I’ve had and I added a new duvet cover from Walmart! I also got that pillow from Target that was snagged by Shea (forever grateful) and I got the chandelier pillow from TJ Maxx a long time ago. Yes, that is a dirty pink bear on the left side. :) It was from my mom when I was a baby when she was in New York at FAO Schwartz. She also got me that matching smaller one in the little bookshelf on the left side.

This is a close up of the picture, you can see more over here, when I first posted about it and going to the show in San Fran a while back. Just got a poster picture frame from Target and hung it above my bed.

This is the view from my bed into the backyard. See the little puppies bed on the patio steps and my dresser and TV. I love the sunlight and how it brightens and opens up my room.

This is next to my bed. I have a fan and then my favorite saying ever that the lovely Kate recommended to me and I purchased from Hijirik Studios on Etsy! That’s also the door to my closet.

This is also another little picture section that I have in my room. I tried to de-clutter my room and I think I did a good job. Now since my desk can go in the ‘office’ I have more room and I put some of my favorite pictures in there and then another picture of where I used to run down in Long Beach is hanging on the wall above it.

Then, this is my favorite part of my room! I put my bibs in a shadow box and put my medals on top of the bibs to create a place to have them all showcased and not look jank! I also linked all the medal’s to my race report if you wanted to read any of them.

Here is medal shadow box 1! I have a bunch of bibs in here for the background and also here are the medals from left to right: The Angel Stadium 5k that I placed first in my age group, The Heroes for Hope 10k that I placed first in my age group, The CA Dreamin Finishers medal, The Quench the fire 5k that I placed first in my age group, the Nike Human Race 10k finishers medal, the 2008 Long Beach Half Marathon Finishers medal (my first half!) The San Diego  Rock and Roll Marathon (my first full!) and then the 2010 Surf City Half Marathon Medal.

And here is shadow box number 2! I hung the La Palma Run For Fun 10k medal on the side since I just got it 4th of July weekend. But left to right in this one: 2009 California International Marathon medal, 2010 LA Marathon medal, 2009 Malibu Marathon medal, 2009 Surf City Half Marathon medal, 2009 Long Beach Marathon medal (my FAVORITE race! and now I work for them :) ), 2009 San Francisco Half Marathon medal, and Race on the Base 10k 3rd place age group medal.

I LOVE these shadow boxes and I feel like it’s a great way to show off my medals, which I am really proud of in my room that is artistic and somewhat creative, instead of just hanging them all on a rack. I also feel like they are much safer in the cases, not saying anyone is going to steal them, but safer against fading and dust!

I love my new room and how it turned out! I am a runner and I’m glad I decided to show this stuff off in my room.

35 Responses to The finished new room!

1. Alex says:

Love the shadow boxes. What a great idea!

2. Billy says:

Nicely done Danica…and not at all “jank” :)

3. I LOVE the shadow box medal idea! I’m crying a little on the inside because I didn’t keep my first few medals (or bibs) and now I wish I had that I am racing more! From now on I’m keeping them ALL, and I will honor them in the same way you have! I also LOVE that quote you have framed, it is so inspirational :)

4. Muffy says:

WOW! Looks great!!!! FANTASTIC and FABULOUS!!!!

5. Kelly says:

Love the shadow boxes! I’ve been meaning to do something with all my bibs and medals. This is perfect! Love your room!

6. Jocelyn says:

SOOO Cute! You did a great job and are more than welcome to come design my bedroom :)
    Love the bibs/metal idea. Might have to steal that :)

7. Jessica says:

I like the shadow box idea for race bibs & medals! Nice job on the decorations!

8. Meghan says:

The shadow box idea is awesome! I never know what to do with my medals and can’t bear to throw my race bibs away. Great idea. That Etsy print is super cute too.

9. Aj says:

You’re so cute! I love the room. And I’m absolutely dying over those shadow boxes. I’ve been wondering what to do with mine (they hang off my memory board, but then they sound like windchimes when we run the fan). I keep my bibs in my running journal, along with my goals and performance. But maybe I could cut up my race t-shirts for behind medals. Lord knows I’m not wearing them since they are so ill-fitting. Not jank at all (I love that word, use it ALL the dang time).

10. Morgan says:

Love, love the shadow boxes! I know my weekend project now!

Just one question, because I too am not at all crafty, how do those medals stay up there?

11. aron says:

LOVE it!!! i love that we have a few matching medals also <3

12. Marlene says:

LOVE the room, Danica! Looks great!! Awesome medal showcasing too!

13. Robyn says:

Love those shadowboxes!! I wish I had enough to make one, but maybe one day I’ll run in as many races as you:) The room looks fab!

14. Shelley B says:

Your room looks great – I like your style. Loving (and coveting) the shadowboxes – hopefully I will earn my first medal on November 20th. Long way from all of your bling, but hey, you never know!

15. Lauren says:

Oooh! I’m moving and have been trying to figure out how to display my medals! My grandfather whittled (LEGIT) a medal holder for me, but I need more space since it only holds 5 medals…. where did you get your shadow boxes?

16. Pam says:

Love the room! I love the picture above the bed too! I have kept all my race bibs and now I am thinking maybe I should do something to show them off rather than just tack them on a corkboard in my guest bedroom. :)

17. dela1000 says:

LOVE the shadow boxes!! That is such a great idea!

And that looks suspiciously like ESPN on the tube :-)

18. Heather says:

great post! your room is super cute. I love the idea of teh shadowboxes and bibs with medals. i may have to steal it!

19. I love you room…it’s perfect!

I LOVE your room and what you did with it! cant wait to see it in person!!! :)

21. Great room!! Love the shadow box idea for your medal and bibs!! I may have to borrow your idea :)

22. Amber says:

VERY cute room!

1. I love that it looks outside!

2. I LOVE the bib/medal shadow box thing. I am SO doing that!!

23. Morgan says:

Love it! Especially the pic behind the bed and the medal/bib shadow box!!!

24. So…are you planning to make a shadow box @3 for your BQ marathon medal? Heehee =)

25. Oh my gosh! I am so in love with your shadow boxes! What a great idea! My bibs are all just tucked away in my file cabinet. I think this should probably become a future project of mine though! :0)

26. shannon says:

Great idea! Displaying your medals and race numbers in a frame! I love it!

27. I absolutely LOVE the shadow box idea!! And the fact that your bibs are the background is perfect! I’m running in my FIRST race next Saturday and already just seeing your awesome shadowboxes makes me want to run in more just so I can be crafty like that — hehe!

28. runner26 says:

what a fabulous way to display your medals & bibs!! and the rest of your room looks great ;)

29. Alisa says:

I love it!

Justin did something similar for me for xmas with my running stuff, such a neat way to display that stuff.

I’m going to be all about the decorating in August when we move into the house.

30. Sasha says:

Love your room! You did a great job decorating. I am the WORST at it myself!

31. RoadBunner says:

I LOVE LOVE all of it! I am a huge fan of Etsy, too! You an find so many awesome wonderful things at affordable prices there.

32. Emily says:

New room looks great! I’m glad you decided to stay true to yourself. (P.S. I have the same “live what you love” print in my house!)

33. The room looks AMAZING! I love the LA Marathon artwork and your medals!

34. Milltini says:

I love it! It looks really great.

35. Thank you various other useful internet site. The best place in addition may possibly I purchase that sort of facts coded in this type of perfect indicates? I’ve a problem that I’m at the moment working on, we have been receiving the style outside with regard to this sort of facts.