That thing on your head

So I have a weird issue with hats. I’m not totally sold on them. I have about 10 running hats and I hate wearing them. I do know that with my awesome sun spots on my face I need to wear some sun protection and hats are good option along with sunscreen (that I am obsessed with) but I just feel like they look so weird! I am down to wear any baseball hat but for long distances they don’t work so well since they are cotton-y, but why do running hats form to your head so much?

I think they get so poofy in the front part of the hat that it looks like I’m holding something underneath there. Maybe they just don’t form to my head well since I have the ponytail and a lot of hair? Does anyone else have these hat feelings? I feel like I should try a visor or something. I used to run in visors in high school a lot because I got sun poisoning all the time due to acne medication I took and I loved running in visors.

I shall search out a visor and return with a comparison of them both.

Yesterday I ran a 6.5 mile tempo run. My first tempo run in about 5 years. Awesomely sucked it up. So tomorrow I shall redeem myself on my 15 miler. Hopefully. :)

29 Responses to That thing on your head

1. Lindsay says:

Okay you are way to cute!!! Good luck finding a visor!

2. Hey Danica–

The fact is that most running hats really are terrible. They’re often too shallow and tend to look really, really bad (read, “dorky” on most people). I have, however, found one that I really like that I’ve own and have used for quite a while. It’s by Nike and it’s called the “NikeFIT” cap. It’s super-light, dry-wicking, and does not form fit/look small and dorky. Coming from someone who wears his hair long at times, I would definitely suggest the men’s version for someone like you with a lot of hair. Unfortunately, I am not finding my model online anywhere at the moment to send you a link. If I find a link, I’ll send it your way. Also, I think a local running store here in Philly sells them. If you want, I could pick one up and send it your way. If you don’t like it, you could send it back to me and I’ll happily have another to wear on the run.

3. Katie D says:

Aw — I have the “RUN happy” hat and wear it every time I run (its like my lucky charm!) I call it lucky because I was lucky to get it for free from the Fleet Feet in Hoboken. Also, I love what it says. At first, wearing hats weren’t very comfortable for me, but I got used to it and now prefer wearing a hat instead of sunglasses on a sunny day. It keeps the sweat from running in my eyes and keeps the sun from burning my face. Keep trying and you’ll find a hat you love just as much as I love mine!

4. Sara says:

Agreed. I dislike running hats because I think they look funny. Sometimes (in rainy weather) I will wear a baseball cap, but I always feel like it blocks my peripheral vision when I am crossing streets. I know hats are good sun protectors but I just can’t bring myself to get one

5. Visors all the way. I hate hats too but ever since I started using visors, I haven’t looked back. “Headsweats” brand seems to be the best one I’ve used and most popular among runners and triathletes. Just my 2 cents. Happy running!

@ironmancarlitos

6. RoadBunner says:

You have the RUN HAPPY hat?! *DIES of jealousy* !!!!! I really hope Brooks makes these again.

Okay, so I highly suggest you try Headsweats hats. They are my most favorite running hat. I’ve got probably almost 20 of them. They form to your head (which I’m confused from your post if that is what you want or don’t want). They also make visors.

I wear a hat every single time I go out for a run. It started mainly when I cut bangs years ago to keep the hair out of my face. But now I love it for that plus the sun protection, if it rains it keeps water out of my face, if it is dark I can put my headlamp up there. LOVE hats :)

7. mrs. darling says:

THANK YOU. i HATE running hats! they are so dorky and fit weird. i always run in a visor. i used to have an under armour visor that i loved but the velcro stopped being sticky after about a year. i have to get the visors that have the buckle at the back…it’s perfect, sucks up all the sweat so it doesn’t drip into my eyes and everything. visors are my running BFF.

8. Although not the best, I do like running hats. I did a review of mine a while back. I’m paranoid about getting something on my scalp after having a biopsy done on a mole. And I find it great to help keep sun outta my eyes!

9. Serious. I love hats, but hate running hats. They suck.

10. Carla says:

I love Nike visors! I bought another brand at REI that I hated because I couldn’t adjust the velcro on the back tight enough to fit my head — it flops when I run, so it was a waste of money.

I have no issues with running hats though, they fit my head fine, but I always make sure to put my ponytail through the hole on the back, they stay put better that way. (Here’s me after 8 miles — the hat still fits fine: http://irunyourun.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/p6301713.jpg?w=500&h=375)

11. Jessica says:

I don’t enjoy hats. I look terrible in them and I think I sweat more with them on.

12. I think those hats look cute on you! But if you don’t like, go back to the visors chica!

What’s tempo running by the way? I’m new to “being a runner” so I dunno that term yet!

13. Bill says:

I don’t like hats because I don’t like anything trapping heat, but I’ve found “running” hats to be okay in that regard. I need to try a visor. My issue is sweat dripping down my forehead. I bought a hat by Halo that has the Halo thing stitched on the front. It feels weird but does the trick and keeps me from looking like a 70s throwback. Girls can get away with the headband.

14. Laina says:

The trick is to wear your ponytail a little lower on your head and then it will fit through the hole in the back of the hat and make the hat fit better on your head. Also the hats with the velcro in the back are the easiest to put over a pony. I wear my hats every time I run and love them!!!

15. Shelley B says:

I love your run happy hat! And I think you look cute in it.

I prefer visors, but being a pale-skinned blonde, my part actually gets sunburned, so I need the hat. I like my Underarmour runner’s hat the best, but dang, $25 is a lot to shell out for a dumb hat.

16. Aj says:

I am new running hat convert – with my haircut the only way I was comfy running was with about a billion pins PLUS a dorky headband. I sweat something fierce (gross, I know) and the sweat messes with my earbuds making them fall out unless I wear something on my head. A hat is much less dorky (although I’ll admit still a little dorky, but then I’m a huge dork myself) but I did find a NikeFIT, mentioned above, at the USC bookstore and I’m in love. Plus I get to represent the Trojan fam when I run..Fight On!

Good luck on your 15 miler tomorrow!

17. Nike makes some great visors – I have a few. Of course pretty much everything Nike does is amazeballs. :o) I understand your hat frustrations but you are right, gotta protect that face!

18. Pam says:

I hate hats in general, so I have never tried a running hat. I have recently started wearing a visor and love it. It keeps the sweat and sun out of my eyes.

19. Heather says:

I agree running hats are weird. I run in baseball caps for shorter runs and visors for longer runs.

20. That’s why I run with a bandana! One day I’ll give you a dissertation on why that’s the best headgear EVER! Heehee =)

21. Jen says:

I agree that running hats look weird. But they’re necessary for keeping the hot sun out of our faces. I prefer wearing a visor b/c heat can escape instead of being trapped under your hat.

22. Glenn Jones says:

The reason they form to your head is to wick the moisture away. Baseball caps don’t do that so much. And I see you’re going to try a visor. I’ve always worn a hat when it’s sunny out. The one thing a visor won’t do is keep the top of you head from getting sunburnt.

I tried to wear hats… and sometimes i do… but i dont always because that poof in the front of them drives me crazy and i feel like i look like i’m 5….. sigh

24. Kim says:

I am not a runner, but used to workout a lot. I absolutely love the Under Armour hat! I need to buy a spare because if this one ever gets lost, I will die! Completely conforms to your head and breathes AND it has a small bill so it doesn’t look awkward. I just throw it in the washer and hang to dry. I have thrown out every other baseball hat I owned, this is the one! Good luck finding one!

25. Jenn says:

I think you look cute in the hats!! But I totally know how you feel. I always wear a hat when running outdoors, even though I look a little dorky in them. I just feel like I’m more incognito, lol. I hate when people (men) yell comments when I’m running. If I have a hat on, I just tilt my head down and ignore them. Silly, but true. :)

26. Sarah says:

I hate my hats too:)

27. LauRN says:

I’ve tried a lot of running hats & I LOVE the Nike Dri-FIT Featherlite Men’s Hat. The women’s version looks akward. I copied the link below if you want to check them out. :)

28. Audrey says:

I like running caps mostly because it keeps my hair out of my face. And then the hole in the back serves as my ponytail holder. When my hair was longer, I would then wear it in a bun to keep it from bouncing around but now I’ve got just a little “tuft” (?) that hangs out.

I also like the shade it provides b/c I can’t seem to deal with sunglasses when I’m running, even sport ones.

I wear the Nike women caps which work fine for me. I know Sandra swears by those headsweats hats. (I think that’s what they’re called).