Somedays

Sometimes, when your lucky, everything clicks when your running. The shoes fit right as if they were tied just to fit your foot. The knees don’t hurt and that twinge that sometimes you feel in your lower back magically disappears. Your hair blows perfectly behind you and the soft breeze seems to embrace you and push you forward as the sun lights the path ahead of you. It’s the perfect temperature that it’s warm enough to wear short sleeves. The sunglasses stay on your face instead of slipping and sliding down your nose constantly.

Everyone is friendly, your legs move effortlessly and every breath is easy to your lungs. You gulp in air and feel like you are running on a cloud. You look around you and realize that you are really just running. You’re enjoying every step and everything just comes so naturally. These are the remarkable moments that I think once you experience them running, you get hooked. They are ever so rare, but when you catch a glimmer of these perfect running moments, it fills your heart with joy and puts a spring in your step. Every now and then everything just seems to have a shine, all the crosswalks are protected and even the drivers look twice before making a turn.

You’re splits are perfect, the consistency of your steps are a rhythm to your ear that only you understand. Everything just falls into place. You sigh a breath of relief as you run, wondering if this is really your life. You can breathe every day. You can move your fingers and wiggle your toes. You can put one foot in front of each other, over and over again, until the miles click away, the sun sets and you get lost in the run. You don’t know where your going, but once you get there, you’ll turn around and head home. Wondering if it was all a dream or if a perfect run does exist.

It’s these moments that I run for. It’s the run that is effortless and before you know it, your back home, wondering, did I really just run that far? Nothing aches, and it seems like you were only out meandering the streets, crossing sidewalks and waving to friendly bikers just mere moments ago.

Those days, whenever they happen, make it worth it.

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

15 Comments

• Reply Tara

then there are the days you fall flat on your face….hahaha

I love perfect runs that seem effortless and everyone around is smiling and happy :)

can’t wait to see you soon ♥♥♥

July 22, 2010 at 9:52 am
  • Reply Tiffany

I have a question. I’m either going to get a gym membership or a Garmin, which one would you recommend? Although I do enjoy running outside more, there seem to be a lot of days in the summer where it feels too humid for real enjoyable running, not to mention all the thunderstorms we’ve had lately. So I’m leaning towards gym membership. The bonus with that is that I can work out the rest of my body as well.

As for the Garmin, I’ve always thought that it would improve my marathon time if I trained with one, but then again, not sure if I need one at this point in time.

Since you have both, which do you find more useful for your running and fitness overall.

July 22, 2010 at 9:58 am
  • Reply aron

those are the days i run for too <3

July 22, 2010 at 10:03 am
  • Reply Bekah @ runtrackmind

Nothing more perfect than running in the zone!

July 22, 2010 at 10:21 am
  • Reply Middle Name Marie

I love those days–I am hoping for one on my long run this weekend.

BTW–I put out an all call for running music on my blog yesterday. I want to make the ultimate playlist. A lot of comments directed me to your blog–they say you know a thing or two about tunes.

July 22, 2010 at 10:22 am
  • Reply Sarah

OMG reading this gave me an itch so badly to pick up and go for a run. (unfortunately It’ll have to wait until after work)

This was beautiful – to a casual reader it sounds like a magical place – to those of us who’ve been there… a reminder of why we do what we do :)

Thank you!

July 22, 2010 at 11:19 am
  • Reply Carolina Girl

Those are the days that I long for too! The perfect run…perfect temps…and the perfect toot to propel you forward! jk hahaha

July 22, 2010 at 11:23 am
  • Reply abbi

Yep, love those days and I’ve definitely experienced them and it’s what keeps me wanting more.

July 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm
  • Reply nicole

love running days like that! <3

July 22, 2010 at 1:39 pm
  • Reply Jessica

Great entry!! Days like that are why we all keep on running!

July 22, 2010 at 1:56 pm
  • Reply Rebekah

Love it. Those are the days that make it all worth it.

July 22, 2010 at 3:21 pm
  • Reply ilovesteaks

Nope definitely not one of those days for me. I’m just sitting around getting fat and hoping that the calf has healed. :)

July 22, 2010 at 3:27 pm
  • Reply Scott

Totally agree with your post. On the other hand, it is the days that you feel crappy and step up to finish a race in a good time or a training run you thought you couldn’t that makes you so much more confident and mentally strong. I hate these days, but I have found they are important and make me enjoy the “perfect” days even more.

July 23, 2010 at 7:05 am
  • Reply Amy

Love it.

July 23, 2010 at 9:31 am
  • Reply Stuart

For someone who’s is poo on WwF you’re pretty damn eloquent!

Great post!