Round Dos of Training!

So we are starting off round 2. Well it started last week. The first part of the training round was all about getting back into a routine, which it seems that I can finally beat the battle of the sheets in the morning and have been able to get up to do training runs. I fell off the bandwagon a little bit during the weekend of the fourth (read: partied too hard and didn’t do my long run, God Bless America) and was a little worried about my long 15 miler that I had this past Saturday. I went to bed nice and early on Friday, got everything all set for me to go in the morning.

I decided enough was enough and I was going to take Imodium before my run to hopefully curb the upset stomach problems. I took one pill before bed and then one when I got up the next morning. I also opted for taking salt, which I think is one of the problems I had at the LA Marathon. I was dehydrated from the Imodium that I had taken so I cramped and died a death over those 26.2 miles. Sadly, no where around here sells salt pills and I wasn’t up to drive 3o minutes to get some. So I found the little salt packets at Chick-fil-a and just planned on using those. I loaded up my ipod and when I woke up the next morning I decided I should drive down to Huntington Beach and just cruise along the beach path, which is what I usually did when training last year for Long Beach.

I got to the spot, strapped on the trusty iFitness belt and off I went. It was a good run to start off with and I constantly was reminding myself to slow down since it was a long run. I ate my peanut butter and jelly sandwich at mile 6 and took salt before I left, at mile 6, and at mile 12 when I ate another sandwich as well. I haven’t had a run like that in forever. Nothing was hurting, I was just in the zone and the miles kept ticking away. I drank at almost every mile since the path I was on had drinking fountains and my playlist was kicking serious tail! It was a GREAT run and a great confidence booster! And I knew I was running well so I was excited to check out my splits:

That hasn’t happened in FOREVER and it was awesome to run that fast and feel that strong. My last miles were even my fastest. The last mile I just kept thinking, push, push to the end! You’re almost there! It was an awesome run and I wasn’t sick at all and my music just kept me going.

Tomorrow I have an 8.5 mile recovery run and then again a faster more ‘tempo’ run on Thursday. The chart above is my new plan and for this second round of training which, as you can tell is all about upping the mileage. I ran a total of 52.7 miles in June and in July I’ve already ran 43.2 miles and it’s only the 12th!

So now I’m pumped and feeling good once again. Here’s to training round number 2! Pile on those miles. :)

Also, tomorrow I have an awesome recap of All Star Sunday and the MLB Celebrity Softball game that I was so lucky to attend yesterday!

20 Responses to Round Dos of Training!

1. Page says:

I see a BQ in your future speedster! YAY!

2. Way to be! Don’t you just love when everything goes right on a run?!

3. Marlene says:

Well you seem to have found something that works for you. AWESOME RUN!

4. Kelly says:

yay for good runs! and no bathroom stops :)

5. 7:57!?!? :oO Remember how you said you were going super slow during the LA Marathon and I said your super slow is my “Weeeee!!!! I’m going FAST!!!” lol I wasn’t kidding.

You’re speedy. I would like to think my legs are capable of going that fast. Maybe one day! :o)

6. Chris says:

Congrats on the in-the-zone run, hoping to stumble on a few of those myself.
    Also congrats on a great set of splits – that’s an awesome 15-miler!

7. Tara says:

great job out there girl! That was a veru solid run speedster! Glad you felt good and has no tummy issues! we need to get you some salt tabs though :)

8. RoadBunner says:

What a great run! I am glad you’ve found what to do to curb your tummy issues! I remember at races in NYC they had those salt packs at the finish.

9. Aj says:

glad you got your bathroom issues figured out! so you took salt packs instead of a salt pill? i told you i thought it would be salty! how did that go?

as always, your mileage and pace is super motivating. i worked on my training schedule this weekend and referred back to what you’ve posted for a lot of help! thanks for sharing!

10. Jacklyn says:

Go girl! I am just getting back into training so this is super motivating for me! I can’t wait till I’m feeling strong again and not wussy. HA.

11. Glad you found a way to stop crapping your pants on your runs! WIN!!!

Seriously though, awesome awesome splits!!!

12. That’s fast! I’m starting my “round 2″ today as well. I spent about a month getting into a routine as injury-free as possible, and today, hello marathon training!

great job on the run D!!! :) so proud of you! I love runs like that– order some salt capsules online & you will lurve them… i do! :)

14. Shelley B says:

What an amazing run!!! Looks like pre-planning actually pays off…I will have to take your advice!

15. Heather says:

wow you are so hardcore. I can’t even run one mile at that pace.

16. So happy that you had a good 15! Sub 8-min last mile is huge! No stopping the ChicRunner now…Watch out…coming through… =)

17. Anna says:

Wow! That’s awesome! This motivates me to try harder and plan ahead.

18. Stuart says:

I am still looking for the running donts!

;-)

19. Twitter had a tweet on Discount Sportsman Store Ammunition that lead me hear for some reason. Not sure what this has to do with what I was looking for.