Finding New Routes

Drumroll Pleeeeeease! The lucky winners of the bottles of TriSlide are comments 46 and 60! Funny because 6 is my lucky number. Sidenote: Camarillo Marathon will be my 6th Marathon. EEEE excited.

Anyways, Nobel for Lit and someone I’ve met in real life, Naomi are the Winners!!! Congrats Guys. Seriously, I was laughing at all the stories of your pet peeves while running! I know I hate people who don’t say hi and when they walk in a row of 5 but some of your guys are the best. My biggest pet peeve, having a poopy run! Anyways, onward to finding some new routes!

Moving to a new area means that I must take off on new routes to find my mileage and where I’m comfortable running. Luckily, I’m still within a 10 minute drive to the beach if I want to run there, but I really love a lot of the area I have to run around my house. There are a lot of parks and, this sound really lame, but since I am trying to get my plants to grow and I’m into looking at houses and what people have done to their front yards, it’s almost fun to me to run around and see what everyone else is doing! I love looking and different houses. So the new fun thing I do?

Map my route on my hand before going:

I can’t even tell you how many times I get lost or miss a turn so I try to write everything out before I leave the house. I have to use a sharpie or it will wear off on the run and for some reason I can usually only find a yucky one that barely works, thus the artwork above. I try to shorten names and words to make it smaller too.

Along the routes though I have found some great spots! The other day I was running and saw a woman emerge from a fence and saw a whole little area back behind the neighborhood. I would call it a “greenbelt”. It’s awesome! I LOVE running back there. It’s seriously another world and the trail is all dirt so it’s easy on the knees too. I took some awesome pictures of the new area.

The trail is so nice and shady. It is a really grassy area and just blooming with different types of flowers and grasses.

I just love the area. I was so surprised it was tucked away back there! There are usually other people back there too, walking dogs, running or just enjoying the day. It’s such a nice little gem.

A big plant that is full of purple flowers. I couldn’t believe how great all the flowers were back there. Wait, why do flowers grow without being gardened and mine aren’t?!

I wish I could capture these flowers true color on my phone. They are such a bright purple and look so cool. I think they are going out of season since it’s getting warmer, but I’ve never seen anything like them.

Then, my most favorite part of the route, the poppies! These poppies are SO big, the biggest I’ve ever seen and just bloom everywhere along the path. I love seeing them and they are so feathery and light looking.

So even though I moved a little inland, it looks like I’m finding some good routes! That greenbelt is somewhere I run so often and I just love it back there! For more information on this greenbelt click here.

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

• Reply Jodi

Ooh, this looks nice! I want to run there, how do I get there?!

July 8, 2010 at 10:12 am
  • Reply Kelly

Glad you found some new routes. Ones that don’t look like you’ll get shanked on unlike the previous road you posted. :)

July 8, 2010 at 10:15 am
  • Reply Ray

Hmm..thought I have to create an account to post, which is why I commented via Twitter. Those streets are very familiar since I live nearby. Where is that trail and how long is it?

July 8, 2010 at 10:18 am
  • Reply Nobel4Lit (A Case of the Runs)

Wow, cool! I can’t wait to use the TriGlide… I’ll do a review of it on my blog as well!

July 8, 2010 at 10:23 am
  • Reply nicole

I love your gem of a new running area you found! i cant wait to explore long beach when i come to visit!!!!! :)

July 8, 2010 at 10:36 am
  • Reply J

I love new running new routes but I always get worried I will get lost. Two years ago I was doing a long run and made a wrong turn and had to back track. I never thought of writing the route on my hand lol.

July 8, 2010 at 10:41 am
  • Reply Marlene

Sounds like you are having fun exploring the new digs! What a nice trail! And LOL at jotting your route on your hand in marker!!

July 8, 2010 at 10:48 am
  • Reply Tara

love the new route! Looks so pretty with all those flowers!

July 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm
  • Reply joerunfordom

Danica – Looks like you found some great new areas to explore on your runs – that trail looks completely “runneriffic” – anything but asphalt and pavement will help those legs keep their spring. So happy for you.

Just hit country number three this past week training this year and I’m up to I think 11 states and 21 different cities this year I have run in.

I love new routes as it really turns running into the adventure that it should be – you gotta stop to smell the flowers. (Not really stop, but you know what I mean).

Best from Austin, Joe

July 8, 2010 at 1:22 pm
  • Reply TorontoGirloutWest

That dirt running path looks brilliant! Nice views, safe, green, and easy on the knees. Sounds like a major score! :o)

July 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm
  • Reply Katie Heddleston

The sharpie idea is a great one.. I’ve been tempted to bring one to write down my splits on my hand since I don’t have a fancy GPS thing yet. I just look at my watch when I know it’s a mile mark and pray that I remember them all!

July 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm
  • Reply Heather

what a beautiful trail!

July 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm
  • Reply run4may

I do the same thing- write on my hand before nonfamiliar routes. The path looks great for running.

July 8, 2010 at 4:10 pm
  • Reply Kyle

So…how do I find out what comment number I was? haha

July 8, 2010 at 6:21 pm
  • Reply Kevin

The purple flowers look like a butterfly bush ( We have one in our yard and attracts tons of monarch butterflies. They are relatively easy to grow and maintain if you need some color/wildlife at your new place. :)

July 8, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  • Reply Jeff

Marathon training over the winter required some creativity with putting together long runs that weren’t boring or repetitive. For out 17 miler, I suggested we run the route of a local 10 miler race backwards and thrown in a subdivision that i noticed to add some miles. Now this was way out in the country and the route led us in one side of the neighborhood and out the other but required about 8 different terms. My partner just laughed when i pulled the piece of paper out of my pocket ever intersection to make sure which way we went. Still we got lost once.

July 9, 2010 at 4:22 pm
  • Reply Newlywed Next Door

Love the hand directions! Such pretty flowers in the LBC!

July 13, 2010 at 8:42 am
  • Reply Michael Bretanha

Howdy I’m new here.
    I’m all amped up to meet my new gal pal for a run at this “green belt.”
    It’s frustrating that you post all this info on this place, but no directions? Or even a hint???
    What is the purpose of blogging about it then???
    If I wasn’t on a time schedule to pick a location out in-between LBC and L.A, then I wouldn’t be so concerned. Lol
    Please tell is where this “gem” is located.
    Happy running peeps!!!

June 11, 2014 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Richard

Here is some more information on the butterfly bush.

October 23, 2014 at 12:35 pm