Curling with a Straightener

So I get a ton of questions about curling my hair with a straightener. It’s all I ever curl my hair with. So I finally got around to making a video of it. Here are a few reminders.

I hate my voice.

I look like a freak.

Anyways, the key is to pull your hair through the straightener while you turn the straightener. I have found that if I just blow dry my hair and then curl it this way, it takes about 15 minutes less than straightening it all since it’s okay if there are kinks and it’s messy. I’ve been doing this since my freshman year of college. I can’t even use a curling iron to curl it with big curls! They always come out droopy.

The tighter you turn the straightener the more tight the curls will be, the looser you turn it the bigger the curls will be. I usually try to go right inbetween and just mix it up with all different ones since the finished product is just curly anyway. So without further ado. Here’s the video. I started off with just blow dried hair. I didn’t use a brush to blow dry it, just made sure it was totally dry which takes me about 10 minutes. Then I just curl it like so.

Here are some pictures:

This is a little bit tighter of a curl, you can tell on the right side how it’s more corkscrew than just wavy. So I would have had to turn the straightener more to make it like that.

This is a very loose curl. This would be turning the straightener once and pulling it through my hair.

This is another big loose curl. You can make it larger and a longer curl by starting more at the top of the head if you want too. If you start higher up you can get more volume in the curl.

I hope that was helpful to anyone who has asked me how I always curl my hair!

40 Responses to Curling with a Straightener

1. tricia says:

seriously wouldnt have ever thought to use a straightner for curls. too cool, I’m going to try it

2. Adam says:

I don’t think anyone likes their voice on video.

I could never be a girl. Or, if I were, I’d go all G.I. Jane w/ my hair. I could pull it off, right?

3. Nichole says:

You make it look easy. My hair gets all the little kinks in it. Janky curls, lol.

Yours are gorgeous!

4. Jocelyn says:

As a girl, I appreciate this tip!! I am so trying thing :)

5. jennifer in ks says:

Another trick for adding body at the roots is to gently rat the hair at the roots and then apply the iron for just a couple of seconds. Doing this “sets” the body. Then proceed with straightening or curling.
    Thanks for sharing your technique.

6. @kimikay says:

can’t wait to try this!

7. Carla says:

I totally want to try this now!

8. Billy says:

Why did I watch this all the way through even though it’s of absolutely no use for me?

My favorite part was when you put chunks of hair in your mouth to hold in place. Good stuff.

9. Rachael says:

So I’m one of the people that has asked you at some point about how to do this. I get it now, but I don’t think my straightener would work well since it is flat all the way around, this is my straightener: sedu 1.5 and so I’m going to try this anyways, but I don’t think I’ll get very far haha! Which straighter do you use?

10. Leigh says:

You make it look so easy! I suck at doing anything with my hair besides flat ironing it.

11. Naomi says:

i love it! i actually had my cousin and her friends sit me down and show me a lesson on how to do it. you’re right, the tighter the grip of the iron, the tighter the curl will turn out. the only problem i have is that it hurts when the iron pulls. any suggestions on what brand of iron to use?

12. Cute video! :)

And on a random observation – your hair is CRAZY straight!!!!

13. Robyn says:

I can’t believe how well that works! I’ve never tried it but I def will. I love when I get my hair curly.

14. This was an awesome video! Thanks for the demonstration because I am such a visual leaner:p I really have to try this when I get my hair grown out again:)

15. Colleen says:

My sister does her hair like this all the time too, and you’re right that it’s way easier/faster than using a curling iron! I also used to do wedding videos so I saw this done several times with brides getting ready. I really need to get a straitener so I can do it.

16. The Waspy Redhead says:

Thank you for the lesson! This reminds me of when you’re wrapping a package and use scissors to curl the ribbon.

17. Erin says:

omg girl, thank you SO much for making this video! Seriously, I’m so bad at curling with hair with my straightener, so thanks for making this little video for us! You’re awesome!

18. PinkSass says:

You make it look so easy. I’m going to have to try this although I think my straightner is too big.

19. Jacklyn says:

You are a lifesaver. My hair is so long now and I have no idea what to do with it! Agh. I’m definitely going to give this a try!

20. MB says:

This is great…what kind of straightener do you have? I think I would pull out half my hair trying this with the ghetto straightener i use

21. Nina says:

My favorite parts: 1. You putting your hair in your mouth. I do that, too! 2. “If it looks bad, that’s ok because it’s just curly and no one can tell”

XOXOXO

22. Allison says:

Funny because I have very curly hair and can’t imagine using the straightening iron to curl it even more :) Check out my new health and beauty blog Running With Mascara

23. Angela says:

I CANNOT get over how easy you can do that!!!! Now, because of you, I will be standing in front of my mirror for the next 4,364,843 hours trying to do that to my hair! haha :)

I love my CHI and my sexy curls it makes me! I love your danica voice and your video! you are so beautiful! :)

25. Very helpful! Thanks so much!

26. Kate Tate says:

that was awesome! loved seeing how you did it. i use hot rollers so the curls are always huge. i need to get one of these flat irons and give it a whirl!

27. J says:

You are so cute! Seriously! Thanks for sharing this! I have tried to curl my hair with curlers but it usually just ends up falling out cause my hair naturally just wants to be straight!! I may have to try this on my hair!

28. Nicki says:

THANK YOU for posting this video!!!! Even though my hair is short I’m going to try this tomorrow! I’m never that good at experimenting with hair styles, and I need all the help I can get! :)

29. Thanks for sharing. You have such beautiful hair!

30. ashley says:

wow! you’re awesome at that.. what brand straightener is that?

31. lilly says:

thanks for sharing the video! I like the part where you put your hair in your mouth haha, i’ve done that too! you made it look so easy. I would also like to know what kind of straightener you use, does anyone do this with a larger straightener?

32. Awesome! I’ve always wondered how to do this! You make it look super easy, too…so I might actually try it! :0)

33. Audrey says:

You’re so cute! I love the straightening iron method – I feel it gives a more natural wave. Makes me wish I had hair again :P

You know, I have a hair curling video, too! I recorded my friend teaching us how she curls her hair (with a curling iron). Maybe I’ll post it on my blog one of these days. (I’m updating it again!)

34. Love this! Thanks for sharing your secret. I need to run out and get myself a straightener today.

35. Page says:

Seriously. Amazing. I am going to try this and if I can’t get it right, I’m making you do my hair this weekend ;)

See you sooooooooooon!

36. TriGirl says:

Tres cool! Which brand of straightener do you use?

37. Andi says:

Love the curls :) they’re my fav

38. Kelly says:

I love doing this too! Thanks for sharing your video!

39. Lizzy says:

I attempted to do this for my anniversary dinner on Saturday! Thanks for doing this. : )

40. April says:

Cool video! What type of iron do you have? I used to have a chi and lost it. Now have a sedu…i think i liked my chi better.