Curling with a Straightener

So I get a ton of questions about curling my hair with a straightener. It’s all I ever curl my hair with. So I finally got around to making a video of it. Here are a few reminders.

I hate my voice.

I look like a freak.

Anyways, the key is to pull your hair through the straightener while you turn the straightener. I have found that if I just blow dry my hair and then curl it this way, it takes about 15 minutes less than straightening it all since it’s okay if there are kinks and it’s messy. I’ve been doing this since my freshman year of college. I can’t even use a curling iron to curl it with big curls! They always come out droopy.

The tighter you turn the straightener the more tight the curls will be, the looser you turn it the bigger the curls will be. I usually try to go right inbetween and just mix it up with all different ones since the finished product is just curly anyway. So without further ado. Here’s the video. I started off with just blow dried hair. I didn’t use a brush to blow dry it, just made sure it was totally dry which takes me about 10 minutes. Then I just curl it like so.

Here are some pictures:

This is a little bit tighter of a curl, you can tell on the right side how it’s more corkscrew than just wavy. So I would have had to turn the straightener more to make it like that.

This is a very loose curl. This would be turning the straightener once and pulling it through my hair.

This is another big loose curl. You can make it larger and a longer curl by starting more at the top of the head if you want too. If you start higher up you can get more volume in the curl.

I hope that was helpful to anyone who has asked me how I always curl my hair!

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

41 Comments

• Reply tricia

seriously wouldnt have ever thought to use a straightner for curls. too cool, I’m going to try it

July 21, 2010 at 8:19 am
  • Reply Adam

I don’t think anyone likes their voice on video.

I could never be a girl. Or, if I were, I’d go all G.I. Jane w/ my hair. I could pull it off, right?

July 21, 2010 at 8:19 am
  • Reply Nichole

You make it look easy. My hair gets all the little kinks in it. Janky curls, lol.

Yours are gorgeous!

July 21, 2010 at 8:22 am
  • Reply Jocelyn

As a girl, I appreciate this tip!! I am so trying thing :)

July 21, 2010 at 8:24 am
  • Reply jennifer in ks

Another trick for adding body at the roots is to gently rat the hair at the roots and then apply the iron for just a couple of seconds. Doing this “sets” the body. Then proceed with straightening or curling.
    Thanks for sharing your technique.

July 21, 2010 at 8:50 am
  • Reply @kimikay

can’t wait to try this!

July 21, 2010 at 9:00 am
  • Reply Carla

I totally want to try this now!

July 21, 2010 at 9:20 am
  • Reply Billy

Why did I watch this all the way through even though it’s of absolutely no use for me?

My favorite part was when you put chunks of hair in your mouth to hold in place. Good stuff.

July 21, 2010 at 9:24 am
  • Reply Rachael

So I’m one of the people that has asked you at some point about how to do this. I get it now, but I don’t think my straightener would work well since it is flat all the way around, this is my straightener: sedu 1.5 and so I’m going to try this anyways, but I don’t think I’ll get very far haha! Which straighter do you use?

July 21, 2010 at 9:29 am
  • Reply Leigh

You make it look so easy! I suck at doing anything with my hair besides flat ironing it.

July 21, 2010 at 9:49 am
  • Reply Naomi

i love it! i actually had my cousin and her friends sit me down and show me a lesson on how to do it. you’re right, the tighter the grip of the iron, the tighter the curl will turn out. the only problem i have is that it hurts when the iron pulls. any suggestions on what brand of iron to use?

July 21, 2010 at 10:21 am
  • Reply TorontoGirloutWest

Cute video! :)

And on a random observation – your hair is CRAZY straight!!!!

July 21, 2010 at 10:42 am
  • Reply Robyn

I can’t believe how well that works! I’ve never tried it but I def will. I love when I get my hair curly.

July 21, 2010 at 11:11 am
  • Reply Cinderella's Slipper

This was an awesome video! Thanks for the demonstration because I am such a visual leaner:p I really have to try this when I get my hair grown out again:)

July 21, 2010 at 11:25 am
  • Reply Colleen

My sister does her hair like this all the time too, and you’re right that it’s way easier/faster than using a curling iron! I also used to do wedding videos so I saw this done several times with brides getting ready. I really need to get a straitener so I can do it.

July 21, 2010 at 11:37 am
  • Reply The Waspy Redhead

Thank you for the lesson! This reminds me of when you’re wrapping a package and use scissors to curl the ribbon.

July 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm
  • Reply Erin

omg girl, thank you SO much for making this video! Seriously, I’m so bad at curling with hair with my straightener, so thanks for making this little video for us! You’re awesome!

July 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm
  • Reply PinkSass

You make it look so easy. I’m going to have to try this although I think my straightner is too big.

July 21, 2010 at 1:07 pm
  • Reply Jacklyn

You are a lifesaver. My hair is so long now and I have no idea what to do with it! Agh. I’m definitely going to give this a try!

July 21, 2010 at 1:08 pm
  • Reply MB

This is great…what kind of straightener do you have? I think I would pull out half my hair trying this with the ghetto straightener i use

July 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm
  • Reply Nina

My favorite parts: 1. You putting your hair in your mouth. I do that, too! 2. “If it looks bad, that’s ok because it’s just curly and no one can tell”

XOXOXO

July 21, 2010 at 1:54 pm
  • Reply Allison

Funny because I have very curly hair and can’t imagine using the straightening iron to curl it even more :) Check out my new health and beauty blog Running With Mascara

July 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm
  • Reply Angela

I CANNOT get over how easy you can do that!!!! Now, because of you, I will be standing in front of my mirror for the next 4,364,843 hours trying to do that to my hair! haha :)

July 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm
  • Reply Nicole

I love my CHI and my sexy curls it makes me! I love your danica voice and your video! you are so beautiful! :)

July 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm
  • Reply christina cadden

Very helpful! Thanks so much!

July 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm
  • Reply Kate Tate

that was awesome! loved seeing how you did it. i use hot rollers so the curls are always huge. i need to get one of these flat irons and give it a whirl!

July 21, 2010 at 5:23 pm
  • Reply J

You are so cute! Seriously! Thanks for sharing this! I have tried to curl my hair with curlers but it usually just ends up falling out cause my hair naturally just wants to be straight!! I may have to try this on my hair!

July 21, 2010 at 5:51 pm
  • Reply Nicki

THANK YOU for posting this video!!!! Even though my hair is short I’m going to try this tomorrow! I’m never that good at experimenting with hair styles, and I need all the help I can get! :)

July 21, 2010 at 6:32 pm
  • Reply Pure2raw twins

Thanks for sharing. You have such beautiful hair!

July 21, 2010 at 8:05 pm
  • Reply ashley

wow! you’re awesome at that.. what brand straightener is that?

July 21, 2010 at 9:23 pm
  • Reply lilly

thanks for sharing the video! I like the part where you put your hair in your mouth haha, i’ve done that too! you made it look so easy. I would also like to know what kind of straightener you use, does anyone do this with a larger straightener?

July 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm
  • Reply Janna (Janna's Keeping it Real)

Awesome! I’ve always wondered how to do this! You make it look super easy, too…so I might actually try it! :0)

July 21, 2010 at 11:20 pm
  • Reply Audrey

You’re so cute! I love the straightening iron method – I feel it gives a more natural wave. Makes me wish I had hair again :P

You know, I have a hair curling video, too! I recorded my friend teaching us how she curls her hair (with a curling iron). Maybe I’ll post it on my blog one of these days. (I’m updating it again!)

July 22, 2010 at 1:03 am
  • Reply Kristina @goodnweird

Love this! Thanks for sharing your secret. I need to run out and get myself a straightener today.

July 22, 2010 at 7:16 am
  • Reply Page

Seriously. Amazing. I am going to try this and if I can’t get it right, I’m making you do my hair this weekend ;)

See you sooooooooooon!

July 22, 2010 at 7:59 am
  • Reply TriGirl

Tres cool! Which brand of straightener do you use?

July 22, 2010 at 4:52 pm
  • Reply Andi

Love the curls :) they’re my fav

July 22, 2010 at 5:56 pm
  • Reply Kelly

I love doing this too! Thanks for sharing your video!

July 25, 2010 at 6:38 am
  • Reply Lizzy

I attempted to do this for my anniversary dinner on Saturday! Thanks for doing this. : )

July 26, 2010 at 8:28 am
  • Reply April

Cool video! What type of iron do you have? I used to have a chi and lost it. Now have a sedu…i think i liked my chi better.

July 26, 2010 at 11:49 am
  • Reply Cindy cruel

Thanks for this great article. ıt ıs very ınformatıonal. I have straightener but I can’t use it like you. you look an expert . Maybe I will buy better one. I will try your tips.

September 19, 2015 at 1:42 pm