18 miles or bust. I went bust.

So I started off on my 18 miler this morning and by mile 2 my calves were killing me. Not a good sign on a long run. Some Backstory: I had tried out two different pairs of Brooks shoes recently. The Ghost and Glycerin. They both just didn’t fit right on my feet and by the end of the trial time (one pair went 15 miles, the other 20)Ā  they were killing me. Not a good sign and a review of them and the K-Swiss that I normally wear is in the works. I know my legs are a little bit sore from them but I thought I could easily make the long run by slowing down. I have never had calf problems ever so I knew it was related to the shoe. Here is where my leg is hurting. By the end of the run it even hurt to walk.

I could barely run an 11 minute mile pace. Last week I ran my 15 miler at 8:30ish pace. So something was very wrong. Even though I wore my old shoes I think my legs are just thrashed from the Brooks. So instead of running 18 miles for my long run. I ran 7 this morning, will run 7 on Saturday and 7 on Sunday. I’ll still be getting in some solid miles so that’s a plus. I need to really ice a lot and also ibuprofen and revive them. I’m working all weekend long so I know I’ll be on my feet, but I think not running in those shoes is best for me now. So, I’m going back to K-Swiss. I got the Brooks from work and though I would just test them out, but they obviously didn’t work with me! I think I am going to Keahou II, since right now I run in the Keahou and the Natural Runner and like them both.

So even though my run was cut a little short and a disappointing, I was there mentally. Oh well, it is what it is. At least I got to see some awesome rainbows this morning!

Rainbows over the Huntington Beach!

Here is Southern California, we use John Deere for a little something different. So kind of bummed that I didn’t get the whole run in, but I’d rather not be injured for the 2nd half of the San Francisco Marathon next weekend! It will be a fun race and I just want to have fun but I’d rather not be wanting to kill myself the entire time either.

Then after my morning run I have to do some work for Sea Festival here in Long Beach which included helping out at Kids with Special Needs Beach Day! I took some pictures and put them online! They are awesome and it was great to see so many kids enjoying the beach and taking rides on the boats. The rest of the weekend will be filled with sleeping and working the OC Fair 5k! We are getting some awesome stuff ready for Long Beach and I can’t wait to share it with you. Shhhh it will be our secret! :)

17 Responses to 18 miles or bust. I went bust.

1. danielle says:

I just switched away from Brooks and my calf/shin troubles vanished literally overnight. I wonder what it is about them?

2. Melissa says:

My Brooks killed my calves as well – i’m glad i’m not the only one! I don’t know which shoes to try next, though. Suggestions, fellow can’t-wear-Brooks-runners?

3. Allison says:

Sorry to hear your run was a bust, but the silver lining is that it’s just the shoes and not something going on with your legs! That looks like a gorgeous beach run. How early do you get out there? I left for a run at 7:20am yesterday and thought I was dying with the heat…

4. Page says:

Sorry to hear about your no bueno run :( Buuuuuut…I get to see your face is seven days, so I’d consider that a WIN!

5. Page says:

P.S. LONG LIVE VOMEROS ;)

6. Sorry to hear about your run, but at least you know the cause is the shoes. You will have a much better run next time! You win some you lose some, right?! :)

I cannot wear Brooks either, and just discovered a LIFESAVER of a shoe. Literally, I am in love. If you are neutral, give Mizuno Wave Rider’s a try. Am-a-zing shoe – no leg or shin pain whatsoever – and all around light, dependable, & responsive. Two enthusiastic thumbs up! I will be wearing them for many marathons to come :) (And PS – I swear I don’t work for Mizuno!)

8. Robyn says:

Oh no! I was thinking about getting Brooks but maybe now I’ll think twice. At least you’re still getting the mileage in this weekend even if it’s not the way you planned.

9. Krista says:

Ugh, I can’t wear Brooks either, they’re so uncomfortable! I have agree w/ Nicole above that I am a big Mizunos fan, and I like certain Asics sneaks as well. I like the ankle support. :)

10. RoadBunner says:

I’ve already told you, but I LOVE that tractor photo. Ha ha.

Sorry to hear your 18 miles didn’t go well :( Bah to the Brooks shoes (still want to wear that “Run Happy” hat? — ha ha :)

I run in three different types of shoes now and rotate them. One of them is not my fave and I’m going to be on the hunt soon for a replacement. Not looking forward to all that trial and error stuff.

11. nicole says:

I hope your legs get better soon dmoney! cant have you running in bad shoes!! good job on getting 7 in though… miss you!

12. Pam says:

Sorry to hear your Brooks are not working. I am in love with my Brooks Adrenaline 10 shoe (but it is a stability shoe so maybe that is the difference) I would say don’t go back to Vomeros..your toe was just horrible with them! I tried Adidas and thought they needed replacing way before other shoes. Hope you fall in love with a nice pair of shoes soon. :)

13. Laura says:

I am in a Brooks Adrenaline and having pain from the ankle up through the side of my shin. I can’t afford new shoes right now so I am toughing it out, but now that I see you post and the comments, what I thought was just me might be the shoes :( Dang it!

14. Stevi says:

I’m sorry the shoes caused such an issue. It can be scary to try something new and have it wreck your legs like that. It certainly sounds like it gave you a case of shin splints. If your calves are that tight try and find an Active Release Therapist in your area. It is amazing how quickly it get you back on the road, if you can’t roll your shins and calves twice a day on a foam roller to get those knots out. I’m thinking you may want to go back to your current shoes for the rest of this training.

15. Have you tried Mizunos? I changed from Brooks to Mizunos last year and am loving them. I use the waveriders and am going on pair #4.

16. Jacklyn says:

My legs would hurt there too when I ran for some reason. Compression socks (thanks to your advice :) and then icy hot did the trick. I don’t know what causes that but I feel ya!

17. Rainydayrunner says:

I’ve been having the same problems for a couple of months now… could it by my new Brooks? My earlier pair never did this! Well, back to the store (maybe they’ll take them back). Thanks!!