You just rubbed me the WRONG way

So I’m down with the whole ‘We’re Tagless’ thing. You know, tags make you chafe and it seems like everyone is steering away from them. It’s awesome. It’s awesome until you realize that they STILL have tags. Um, so what’s the point people? The whole tagless thing doesn’t work if you had tags!

I realized this after a recent run in my Lucy shorts that I love. I usually only wear them for about a 3-6 mile run because I opt for booty shorts for runs longer than that, but I wanted to wear them. I get about to mile 6 and I realize there is going to be an issue. It’s that moment when you realize you are chafing and there is nothing you can do about it. It’s awkward because you know it’s happening and you’re going to have to keep going. Chafing hurts like nothing else and it just keeps getting worse as you go. It’s literally rubbing your skin off. Awesome tags. Awesome.

So then this is what I see when I got these shorts. Yay! Tagless shorts. Cool! I love shorts with no tags because then they don’t rub and chafe.

Then this is what happened.

Tag hidden on the leg totally chafed me! I was really bummed about this and imagine my surprise when I realized that something was rubbing me the wrong way and then I looked to see what it was and it was a tag. Kind of annoying, especially since I think the whole tagless thing was so that there were no tags? I just maybe don’t understand. We all know that now this is a giant scab on my leg too. Even better. Ugh, chafing is seriously the worst.

So I took a picture of the tagless cool tech printed tag and then the hidden leg tag. I guess I am going to have to double check things before I go out. Sometimes on longer runs thing that you’ve never had problems with before blow up in your face. Hence my saddness in the lucy shorts. Now the tag is ripped out I will have to give them a second try, but I wonder, why print the tag and then stick another on inside the short. I then went on the hunt for another ‘tagless’ option, which were my new Nike booty shorts. They have the printed tag and a tag as well. Weird, but at least this tag is right next to the other printed tag and I can just cut it out easily!

Love that it’s the worst sewing job I’ve ever seen too. Awesome Nike. So I guess the moral of the story is to check your tags before taking off! Chafing sucks.

On a good note, I am right on track with my training and haven’t missed a run. Yesterday on my hardest day of the week I got in a good 6 miler. My paces were those of a bell curves. 9:06 (I’m sooo tired why did I get up this early! I can’t run fast in the mornings.) 8:46 (Starting to feel better. I can do this.) 8:14 (Weeee back in the groove) 7:46 (I am going too fast! I can’t keep this up for the rest of the run!) 8:18 (Ahhh this is much better) 8:23 (Finally back home! Now give me some water!) So that was promising. I feel okay about that run. :) Tomorrow I’ve got another ‘quicker’ run and I am going to do it in the morning so it won’t be so hot.

19 Responses to You just rubbed me the WRONG way

1. Kerri says:

I’ve had this happen too! my knee pants had a tag right at the back of my leg where it bends, awesome for chafing. What are they thinking?

2. That is so annoying! I had chafing a few weeks ago, but it’s because I went for a hike. In a skirt. With no shorts underneath. Forrest Fire! haha

3. Adam says:

Oh yeah, even at the risk of cutting a hole in my shirt/pants whatever I ALWAYS cut out any tags. ANNOYING

4. ilovesteaks says:

I have a scab from Seattle. I think it’s time to invest in Bodyglide.

5. I have some spandex from adidas that I absolutely love and they literally have no tags… do you have an adidas near by?? I feel like shirts have been more true to the “tagless” name than shorts… but they are definitely out there!

I’m a new follower to your blog and am enjoying it very much!

6. Ally says:

Chafing sucks! I’ve got biggish legs so my damn thighs rub together–gross!! And you’re right, it’s the worst when you realize it, but, of course, can’t fix it. Boo!

7. Sara says:

Being in the garment industry I understand the need for multiple tags. One being your “Mail label” and is required to state size, country of origin, and other major info. The other being your “care label” and required to state (often in multiple languages for athletic wear)all suggested care info.
    Boo – hiss for your chafing (hope you heal fast) and here’s to hoping we as an industry can get a faster move on developing tag less care layouts. (my guess is it’s still cheaper for manufacturers to order standard care labels for their garments…)
    In the mean time just (carefully) cut out those pesky little tags!

8. david says:

Thankfully I never encounter this type of tag-chaffing, but man I think you’ve stumbled upon an industry-wide secret! Why claim tagless but not actually BE tagless?! Sounds like false advertising, which is against runner’s law! Oh…and federal law too.

Hopefully your blog post will be a nice, non-lawsuit way of making the industry aware that female runners everywhere are on to their deceiving ways and that they need to change!

I despise tags too!!! urgh! sorry about ur owie! chafing sucks! love u!

10. J says:

Hilarious! But also not cool about the tags. I honestly hate chafing too – it hurts!

11. Samantha says:

It’s totally ridiculous, you’re right. What’s the point? That’s the worst too – when you’re in the middle of a long run and realize something’s rubbing you the wrong way and there’s nothing to be done! Have a great day!

12. Page says:

Damn those tagless tags!

P.S. I have a feeling you will be getting an email from Lucy very soon ;)

13. Morgan says:

Awww man that is a bummer! You should email them this post and complain for false advertising!

14. Stuart says:

Friction sucks…

…so does gravity!

15. Ugh, chaffing sucks! I got new tank tops yesterday and around mile 7 yesterday the seem starting rubbing against my stomach strangely. It was the worst! Too bad I got three of them – I guess they’ll be restricted to shorter runs from here on out. :/

16. Kim says:

My Grandma’s secret for chaffing and/or sweating in hidden areas=cornstarch.

17. Glenn Jones says:

As you have no doubt seen, us guy have a similar problem with shirts. I have some I can wear – as long as I’m running less than an hour and a half. If I try to push it, get out theround bandaids!