Training Time!

So it’s that time again. Time to start training. This weekend I kicked it off with two hardcore gym workouts on Sunday and Monday evening and woke up early on Tuesday morning to run. Yup, that hasn’t happened in a while. I had six miles on my plate and my legs were HEAVY from the workouts I did at the gym. Good bye Social Life, Hello Marathon Training Schedule.

So for this training round I’m focusing on breaking up the workouts into four different segments. This segment I’m focusing on running 4 days a week. I really need to work on my discipline and working out consistently and I’m glad that this is my focus because it will put me back on track to complete the final two segments. . Here is the schedule for my first three weeks left.

After this segment I will make a new schedule that will focus on distance and then the final segment before the marathon will focus on speed. I know that I get burnt out really easily, so I made a point to not make the schedules before the time comes and I have to work on those. The new schedule will be like a surprise and I love surprises! The key is that r stands for recovery, h stands for hard or as fast as I can push myself and then l stands for long run, where I’ll just be running to get in some miles and loosen up my legs.

After yesterday morning’s run I felt really good and I really know that starting up training is a big commitment. I need to be much more diligent in my training. A lot of time it’s easy for me to not make it a priority but I know in order to not have another marathon turn out like the lackluster Danica didn’t train so well LA Marathon, I need to make training a goal and a top priority in my life. So, cheers to that and with that being said, here’s my race schedule for the rest of the year thus far.

La Palma 5k – July 4, 2010

San Francisco Half Marathon (the 2nd half) – July 24, 2010

Camarillo Marathon – October 3, 2010

Malibu Marathon – November 14, 2010

Surf City (half)  – February 11, 2011 *though I hate this race, if I run it for the third year in a row I will be a Longboard Legacy member, thus I’m running it yet again.

Little Rock Marathon (Arkansas) – March 6, 2011

LA Marathon – March 20, 2011

*if by some miracle, I qualify for Boston, I will most likely try to run Boston (April 18, 2011)

Big Sur Marathon – April 1, 2011

So I’ve got a lot going on until April next year, not to mention I’ll be working three races with work (The Long Beach ICB Marathon on Oct 17, 2010, The Dana Point Turkey Trot on Nov 25, 2010 and the LA County Half Marathon on Dec 12, 2010) It’s good to have plans though and I like the looks of this plan. So with that, it’s time to get serious. It’s time to do a little work and have the great pay off of some nice new medals in my case. It’s time to get back on the training train.

Lets do this.

40 Responses to Training Time!

1. Andee says:

haha I also hate Surf City but forcing myself to run it again next year just to be a longboard member.

2. ilovesteaks says:

I didn’t know you’re running the 2nd half of SF? Don’t run me over when you see me in the park, ok? :)

3. JT says:

With focus on discipline and that race schedule I don’t see why you won’t BQ! Excited you’re doing Malibu again this year!

4. Page says:

Jerk face! You are running SF and didn’t tell me! GASP!!!! Well at least I get to see your face then, at Long Beach and at Surf City…balla!

Also, LMK when you are signing up for Arkansas so we can get everything booked and ready to go you marathon maniac, you!

Here we goooo!!! YOU CAN DO IT!

5. Lori says:

Why do you guys not like Surf City?

On your rest days do you go to the gym? Or do you take the day completely off?

6. David says:

“goodbye social life”–no joke! it’s rough sometimes, but if you’re super competitive (like I guess we both are) you have to give up some to make goals happen! good luck D

7. Krista says:

I would LOVE to see you qualify for Boston!! :)

8. Shannon says:

Woohoo on Arkansas making the list! :) I hope we don’t let ya down!

9. Tara says:

ARKENSAAAAWWWWWW!!!! yeeeehhhaaawwwww! lol I am super excited for all your races and to follow your training my fellow maniac! Big Sur might be an epic shit show, but we will be there together ♥

10. Aj says:

damn girl, you’re an inspiration. nursing an injury right now, so seeing this training plan is making me excited to get back out there! can’t wait to know how you like big sur. i’m planning on running the half in 2011…cuz i’m too broke to sign up for more races this fall :(

crossing fingers you BQ this year!!!

11. Marlene says:

Looking good, Danica! Good luck with your training. I love seeing all those marathons on your calendar!

12. Lisa says:

Good luck with your training. Be careful not to increase your mileage too much too fast. A good rule of thumb is 10% a week in order to avoid injury. However, you are experienced at this, so you know your body.

I might see you at the Camarillo Marathon. I am pretty sure that will be my October marathon.

13. ida says:

Big Sur is AMAZING!! looks like you have a great game plan- good luck with training.

14. Jocelyn says:

Thats a lot of races to look forward too! Have fun!

Wow you are going to be busy!! Looking forward to reading all about your training!! You inspire me to get out there and run!

16. x-country2 says:

Love the colored plan. :o)

17. J says:

Looks like a great training plan! You have quite the racing schedule!!

18. Love the idea of just planning out each part of the training plan as it comes up. I just was working on mine (I’m also doing a marathon on Oct. 3) and definitely just had the good bye friends moment :)

19. Rebekah says:

Yay for the San Francisco Half! I’m running it too, but the first half.

Eeeeeeee!!! Sooooo exciting!!! I love the idea of ur training plan!! So very exciting &&& so much fun to look forward to!!! :-)

21. I just came across your blog, and I really love it! Good luck with your training regimen! I’ll be back to check on your progress!

22. Sarah says:

I didn’t know you will be in SF next month! I’m doing the first half. Maybe I’ll see you at the finish! ;)

23. Look at you go girl!

24. Beth says:

Hubby and I just drove the San Fran course for our date night over the weekend. : ) We are doing the full San Fran, Malibu, and Surf City. Your training schedule looks great!

25. Sweet, I’m running the 2nd half of the SF marathon too. I did the full last year but totally wussed out and signed up for the half this year. While being the less scenic half it is definitely the faster one.

26. kassy says:

DANNNNNICAAAA!

Your schedule sure is built on strength too! Marathons for almost every month? Whew!

runaholic.wordpress.com

27. Looks like we’ll be in some races together… like LA Marathon 2011. And I’m thinking about doing the Camarillo half! =)

28. Rachel says:

I love the idea of only mapping out training 3/4 weeks ahead of time… I’ve never tried that. I usually burn out on a training plan around 4/5 weeks so this would be a good idea for me. I’m excited about all the races that you’re running. I’m running my first 1/2 in two weeks…and I’m hoping I won’t lose my nerve for the Portland Marathon next year. I can’t wait for all the race reports!

29. Katherine says:

Training and running are two very different things. I’m so impressed by your plan- it shows discipline and motivation. Best luck with the training! blogging is a great way to keep motivation and accountability (as well as records) through it all
    Katherine

30. kristen says:

That looks like a fun schedule- can’t wait to read the race reports.

I think Boston sold out in November last year, so you may want to plan for Boston 2012!

31. Glenn Jones says:

Hmm. This is a great approach – mapping out a few weeks at a time. I did a 24 week plan once, and I think half the mental excercise was seeing how much was left everytime I updated my mileage. Maybe by laying out six weeks at a time it would be like a bunch of short plans strung together. Genius!

See you in (maybe) Long Beach and (maybe) Dana Point. Definitely not at Surf City. And maybe SF – I’m running the first half.

32. Emily says:

I wish I had a quarter of your ambition. You go, girl!

33. Jill says:

Danice- Set Boston as a goal!! There is nothing like it! You can do it!

34. April says:

you rock!! i just started reading your blog a few weeks ago, and you are so motivational. keep it up, girl! :)

35. Beth says:

ooo…I love all the colors! That sounds like a great plan to break up the training into different blocks and get to shake things up!

36. Tammy says:

Isn’t Big Sur marathon on May 1st, 2011? I was thinking on running it myself….

37. Tammy Eros says:

EEK! Coming to Arkansas? Hope you like the race, get your hills in! I will be doing it too…wear something LOUD so we can spot you!

38. Ann says:

Yes, Big Sur is two weeks after Boston next year, with Easter weekend in between. Hope to see you in both races Danica. I’m also in again for Malibu, tutu again?

39. Alisa says:

Holy cow lady that is a lot of races.

You won’t be disappointed in Big Sur from what justin has said, it looked gorgeous!!!

40. Stuart says:

Looks like we’re all starting about the same time!

err but there’s no trail races on that plan! What’s with that?!?