FINALLY

So I’m finally starting to get back into running. I ran my long run for the weekend Friday afternoon after I got off work and I felt pretty decent the entire time and I finally found the ‘zone’ that I couldn’t get myself to hit for so long. The period where you can just run and nothing hurts and you are just kind of zoinked out. It’s the best part about running and when you start running longer distances, and you can’t seem to hit that zone, it becomes a little difficult. Finally I found myself there again.

On Saturday I went to the gym, got in a quick mile and did some weights and biked 5 miles. We did some heavy lifting aka moving and kept it pretty low key this weekend which was great because when I woke up for my morning run this morning I was actually ready to go and knew I wouldn’t have any trouble getting in my 8 miles again this morning. It was a little bit drizzly out this morning but I wore my LA Marathon hat and pumped up my jams and just went out there and ran. I also stopped for 10 minutes and did 200 sit ups and 50 push ups. I finally am feeling like myself again.

When I got home I was shocked to see my pace was at 8:19 for the 8 miles. I felt like I was running hard, heck I even had to slow myself down at certain points, but I didn’t know I was running that hard.

As I was running this morning I was thinking about my sluggy life over the past twoish months and it made me realize something. It’s not that much of a brain buster but I was just thinking that the only person who can motivate myself is myself. I can read a million blogs about BQing, and racing and running. I can watch a ton of movies about running and racing. I can go through my old pictures and I can go out and run, but if I don’t want to, it’s not going to fare well. This morning I wanted to. Finally. The feeling is back!

And now my back is sore from all those push ups. But a good sore!

21 Responses to FINALLY

1. OreMan says:

That’s a good cognition – only you can motivate yourself. However, when you run out of ideas how to motivate yourself further (but not out of wish to do it), all that stuff (movies, blogs, etc.) can turn out to be very helpful..

2. GregSJ says:

As another person who is just getting back into running again I agree that only you can motivate yourself but find that company helps a lot too. Having running partners to get me out the door has pushed me through many slumps in motivation. The hard part is finding the right people.

3. Jaime says:

Congratulations on finally being “back!” I agree that you have to want it. I don’t think I’m there mentally, so I’m definitely enjoying shorter distances for the time-being.

4. Jaime says:

Congratulations on finally being “back!” I agree that you have to want it and motivate yourself. I don’t think I’m there mentally, so I’m definitely enjoying shorter distances for the time-being.

5. Erin says:

8:19 average for 8 miles! I have felt the same way for about a month – no desire to get out there. Glad you are making it out of the sluggish zone, hopefully I will be right behind you :)

6. Tara says:

Great morning run my friend! I am with ya…motivation can only come from within! Can’t wait to see you soon ♥

7. x-country2 says:

Woo hoo! Welcome back.

8. Felice says:

Yay for getting the feeling back! Hope it stays :-)

9. Jennifer says:

Great job on finding the zone again! It’s all about motivation and inspiration feeling great. Keep it up!

10. Ally says:

YAY!! I’ve been in the running funk for a few weeks now. Forced myself to get up and run with a buddy so I was accountable and wouldn’t back out–it was hard, first long run in weeks (9 miles) and it was in the evil, evil Texas summer heat and humidity. It was freaking HARD, and, I felt ‘off’ because I was so slow. Instead of beating myself up over my slower than usual pace, I reminded myself that I got up and ran. I did something. Now, I’m not 100% back to my running self, but, getting there.

Glad to hear you are too!

11. aron says:

yayyyyyyy!! the BEST feeling :)

can’t wait to run with you this weekend!!!!

12. That IS the best part of running! My 18-miler was like that. I just sort of zoned out and ran and it was GREAT!

So glad you’ve found your “pace” and you’re getting back out there!

13. Today was the first day I ran and did not get tired once.

14. wow you are so fast, good job!

15. Nice! I’m glad you got that running loving feeling back! So what and when is the next one? =)

16. Stuart says:

Yay…here’s for getting in the groove!

17. Jess says:

I know what you mean. I’ve been missing that feeling for a long time and it’s slooowly starting to come back. I wish it would hurry it’s sweet self up though.

18. Glenn Jones says:

I know your feelings all too well. It’s been tough since LAM. I think it’s in the air. Like you, my motivation is starting to flicker again.

19. Emily says:

I’m finally back to running, too, after my knee injury hiatus. Although I’m nowhere near 8 miles at an 8:19 pace. Good for you!

20. Jacklyn says:

Yeah! Congrats for getting back into it! I am doing that next week after a whole month of NOTHING because of piriformis. Boo. I can’t wait till I find the zone again!

21. Guess you’re too busy being a hoochie to run.

Hahahaha just kidding! Great runs buddy! Way to get back on the work-out wagon!