FINALLY

So I’m finally starting to get back into running. I ran my long run for the weekend Friday afternoon after I got off work and I felt pretty decent the entire time and I finally found the ‘zone’ that I couldn’t get myself to hit for so long. The period where you can just run and nothing hurts and you are just kind of zoinked out. It’s the best part about running and when you start running longer distances, and you can’t seem to hit that zone, it becomes a little difficult. Finally I found myself there again.

On Saturday I went to the gym, got in a quick mile and did some weights and biked 5 miles. We did some heavy lifting aka moving and kept it pretty low key this weekend which was great because when I woke up for my morning run this morning I was actually ready to go and knew I wouldn’t have any trouble getting in my 8 miles again this morning. It was a little bit drizzly out this morning but I wore my LA Marathon hat and pumped up my jams and just went out there and ran. I also stopped for 10 minutes and did 200 sit ups and 50 push ups. I finally am feeling like myself again.

When I got home I was shocked to see my pace was at 8:19 for the 8 miles. I felt like I was running hard, heck I even had to slow myself down at certain points, but I didn’t know I was running that hard.

As I was running this morning I was thinking about my sluggy life over the past twoish months and it made me realize something. It’s not that much of a brain buster but I was just thinking that the only person who can motivate myself is myself. I can read a million blogs about BQing, and racing and running. I can watch a ton of movies about running and racing. I can go through my old pictures and I can go out and run, but if I don’t want to, it’s not going to fare well. This morning I wanted to. Finally. The feeling is back!

And now my back is sore from all those push ups. But a good sore!

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

21 Comments

• Reply OreMan

That’s a good cognition – only you can motivate yourself. However, when you run out of ideas how to motivate yourself further (but not out of wish to do it), all that stuff (movies, blogs, etc.) can turn out to be very helpful..

May 17, 2010 at 9:44 am
  • Reply GregSJ

As another person who is just getting back into running again I agree that only you can motivate yourself but find that company helps a lot too. Having running partners to get me out the door has pushed me through many slumps in motivation. The hard part is finding the right people.

May 17, 2010 at 10:08 am
  • Reply Jaime

Congratulations on finally being “back!” I agree that you have to want it. I don’t think I’m there mentally, so I’m definitely enjoying shorter distances for the time-being.

May 17, 2010 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Jaime

Congratulations on finally being “back!” I agree that you have to want it and motivate yourself. I don’t think I’m there mentally, so I’m definitely enjoying shorter distances for the time-being.

May 17, 2010 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Erin

8:19 average for 8 miles! I have felt the same way for about a month – no desire to get out there. Glad you are making it out of the sluggish zone, hopefully I will be right behind you :)

May 17, 2010 at 10:54 am
  • Reply Tara

Great morning run my friend! I am with ya…motivation can only come from within! Can’t wait to see you soon ♥

May 17, 2010 at 11:16 am
  • Reply x-country2

Woo hoo! Welcome back.

May 17, 2010 at 11:24 am
  • Reply Felice

Yay for getting the feeling back! Hope it stays :-)

May 17, 2010 at 11:41 am
  • Reply Jennifer

Great job on finding the zone again! It’s all about motivation and inspiration feeling great. Keep it up!

May 17, 2010 at 11:45 am
  • Reply Ally

YAY!! I’ve been in the running funk for a few weeks now. Forced myself to get up and run with a buddy so I was accountable and wouldn’t back out–it was hard, first long run in weeks (9 miles) and it was in the evil, evil Texas summer heat and humidity. It was freaking HARD, and, I felt ‘off’ because I was so slow. Instead of beating myself up over my slower than usual pace, I reminded myself that I got up and ran. I did something. Now, I’m not 100% back to my running self, but, getting there.

Glad to hear you are too!

May 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm
  • Reply aron

yayyyyyyy!! the BEST feeling :)

can’t wait to run with you this weekend!!!!

May 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm
  • Reply Kerrie @ Mom vs. Marathon

That IS the best part of running! My 18-miler was like that. I just sort of zoned out and ran and it was GREAT!

So glad you’ve found your “pace” and you’re getting back out there!

May 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm
  • Reply christina cadden

Today was the first day I ran and did not get tired once.

May 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm
  • Reply Heather (runningwithsass.com)

wow you are so fast, good job!

May 17, 2010 at 6:25 pm
  • Reply The Laminator

Nice! I’m glad you got that running loving feeling back! So what and when is the next one? =)

May 17, 2010 at 7:53 pm
  • Reply Stuart

Yay…here’s for getting in the groove!

May 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm
  • Reply Jess

I know what you mean. I’ve been missing that feeling for a long time and it’s slooowly starting to come back. I wish it would hurry it’s sweet self up though.

May 18, 2010 at 8:50 am
  • Reply Glenn Jones

I know your feelings all too well. It’s been tough since LAM. I think it’s in the air. Like you, my motivation is starting to flicker again.

May 18, 2010 at 9:24 am
  • Reply Emily

I’m finally back to running, too, after my knee injury hiatus. Although I’m nowhere near 8 miles at an 8:19 pace. Good for you!

May 19, 2010 at 8:36 am
  • Reply Jacklyn

Yeah! Congrats for getting back into it! I am doing that next week after a whole month of NOTHING because of piriformis. Boo. I can’t wait till I find the zone again!

May 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm
  • Reply Marathon Maritza

Guess you’re too busy being a hoochie to run.

Hahahaha just kidding! Great runs buddy! Way to get back on the work-out wagon!

May 20, 2010 at 8:42 am