Timing Changes

The other day I traveled to Target and picked up a stop watch that I could wear while running. Though I love Claude, my garmin, I have decided to see if I would do better running for ‘time’ for a while. I have seen a few people using this technique and I think I’m going to give it a shot because I know my basic pace, which is usually anywhere from a 7:30 to a 10:00 mile. Instead of going out and running a specific amount of miles, which I think personally can be overwhelming at times, I am going to run for a given amount of time.

Quite nice looking for a ten dollar watch if I do say so myself. So instead of running 4 miles, I will run for 40ish minutes and so forth. I am going to try to be consistent in running more about good “minutes” than hitting a certain mileage, if that makes  sense. It’s funny because I use the map my run tool sometimes to map my run and yesterday after I ran for 45 minutes, I thought to myself, that felt like 4 miles. I got home and it was 4.2 miles.

I really hope this works for me and I think it will work well for my ‘break’ and easing myself back into running. Yesterday I tried it for the first time and it was nice to not be so concerned with my mileage and more concerned with how long I was running for. I am going to re-break-up my workout routine to make sure that I’m hitting the gym 2-3 days a week and running 2-3 days a week. If I only work out four days a week, I’m okay with that. If I wind up working out six days a week, score. I know I work best when I don’t follow a strict plan, so until I start training for my next race, which at this point, my next full Marathon will be the Camarillo Marathon in October, but other than that I have nothing on my schedule. AT ALL. Not going to lie, it feels nice.

Though last night my friend called and told me he will be running the Seal Beach 10k. It perked my interest. We’ll see. Sometimes races on a whim are the best ones and running with friends is my favorite thing to do. So back to training, I will probably ramp up training starting mid July for Camarillo and will make sure I’m fully prepped this time for number 6! I might want to do a 5k soon, I’m missing the shorter distances a tad, so we’ll see if I find one around here that looks somewhat enjoyable. Well, as enjoyable as a 5k, run like your going to throw up, can be.

I am finishing up making decisions for graduate school and excited about my options there. On a completely unrelated note, how awesome is it that baseball is back?

Tomorrow is round two of Adoption April!

29 Responses to Timing Changes

1. JuanRCM says:

Garmin doesn’t have a simple stopwatch feature (seriously, I don’t have one)? Or would you just find it too distracting to easily see how far you went?

2. Tara says:

Your Garmin can be used just like a stopwatch and only show the time if you set your screens up a certain way, but I kind of like the old fashion watch :) It’s all I used when I was 1st training and sometimes a small change makes a world of difference. Sounds like this will work well for you :)

3. Vic says:

Do the 10k! Do the 10k! I’m running one on Sunday :)

I like your run for time plan. I did that for my half marathon – I ran for time during the week and for distance on my weekend long run.

4. Erika says:

I have always prefered to run by time rather than distance. There are some routes that I know the distance and others I run that I have no clue as to how long they are. I just like getting lost in time.

5. I ran yesterday for the first time in almost 14 months without my garmin! it was so freeing lol!! good job!

6. J says:

I think this is a great idea and Love the new watch! It is really good to just get out there and run and I know that following a plan is hard for me and I tend to over train. Running races spontaneously prolly is a great idea for you!! I hope you run it!

7. Erin says:

Ha! Dude, I have the exact same watch! Except, I think your band is clear-ish? Mine is grey-ish. Score. It stays on my wrist at all times. Best $10 investment, ever.

8. Jacklyn says:

Absolutely agree! I just have an ironman watch and it is nice to run on time instead of mapping out the mileage.

9. Marlene says:

Nice watch! ;) I’ll be interested to hear how you like running for time.

10. Jocelyn says:

I use to run for time too. Its such a nice break from always trying to get X amounts of miles in!

11. I love running without my Garmin (sometimes even without a time, just a route or just to go) so I’m glad you are refocusing on your love of running by feel. I think it’s a great plan.

12. Morgan says:

When I trained for Chicago last year I didn’t have a garmin and my nike+ was all but useless. I basically had a time frame in mind for each run and tried to stick to that. Good luck with your experiment!!! :)

13. Doc says:

I’m doing the Seal Beach 10k too. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I overheard people saying that there is no same-day registration on Sat, so you may want to register today or tomorrow at packet pick-up. Enjoy!
    -Doc (aka, RobotSurgeon on Twitter)

14. nicole says:

What a great idea! :) I think i might try something like that too! :)

Cant wait to hear how it goes!

15. BostonRunner says:

It’s the BEST that Baseball’s back!
    Sometimes I switch it up and run for time too.. it’s a nice change.

16. Allison says:

I totally get too focused on my pace and that really seems to ruin a run for me sometimes. It sucks. I have debated not wearing my garmin, or giving it to my husband to wear. I just enjoy syncing it up and having the info in my computer so I can agonize over my stats way too much. ;)

And one more question for you, if you don’t mind — my husband and I are heading out to the LA area this summer so I can complete an internship and I’ve been trying to find a good schedule of races for the late May – early August timeframe. Have any suggestions?

17. Jessica says:

Since I don’t have a Garmin, that’s basically what I do…map out my run and then run with a stopwatch. I have a basic idea of how far I need to go and I keep track of my time. Then I get on Daily Mile and figure out what my pace is. It’s like the cheap version of a Garmin!

18. How come you can’t just hide the mileage by changing the display setting on Claude. You had to find yourself a Claude replacement? Wow…just wow!

Haha! I’m just teasing. Your new watch looks much prettier so I understand. Truly I do. We can do fashion over function for a while. Just don’t toss Claude into a can yet…okay?

On another note, baseball is awesome! Just sayin’ =)

19. Ann says:

I usually only run with Garmin once a week on my long run in the weekend. Once in a while I use it for my tempo run during week, but mostly I go out just like that and run by feeling. Good luck with the new toy!

20. the dawn says:

running is like most relationships: to keep the fire alive it’s important to switch it up every now and then.

way to be creative and strengthen your commitment to running by finding new ways to weather the rough times!

21. Astro says:

go CARDS!!!!

22. X-country2 says:

God bless Target.

23. Alisa says:

I love my regular lap watch. It’s great for running for time. I do most of my brick runs for time only.

24. OreMan says:

I run without my Garmin yesterday as well. First time since.. I don’t even remember.. Quite a sense of freedom :)

25. Jeff says:

In the army we ran for time and effort. We didnt concentrate on anything like mileage. Of course they werent concerned with anything over 4 or 5 miles. I always saw it as anything less than 6 miles you should go for time and speed anything longer than 6 should be slow and steady to reach the miles you desire. But regardless GOOD LUCK :)

26. Katie A. says:

You know, this is my plan for after Big Sur – I think that running for time is really just as important. In fact, I have been reading Ian & Julia’s blog (they’re pros up in Oregon with Nike) and most of their runs are for time and pace, not miles at all.
    I love target! Happy Friday!

27. When I first started running again in July, I just ran for time. I know what you mean about tracking mileage and stuff. I think this is a great idea and hope it works for you!

28. Glenn Jones says:

Take a deep breath Danica. That’s baseball you smell in the air!

29. katherine says:

I’m so glad I found your website! I, too, find that running for time can really help heal a damaged running mindset. I recently broke out of a running rut by doing the same thing. It worked wonders!