Seal Beach 10k Race Report

So I decided to sign up for the Seal Beach 10k last minute to run with some friends. Running with friends is one of my favorite things to do and I wasn’t going to pass up on the opportunity. I signed up Friday night and got my shirt and bib all ready for the next morning. I went to bed pretty early and didn’t have any real strategy for the race but was excited to go out and run and just have fun with the race. Since the LA Marathon I hadn’t run more than 15 miles, so I didn’t know what would happen. I had run the race last year and I knew it was a smaller family race. You can tell it’s a family race when strollers are lining up in the front. Grrrrr.

Anyways, I knew where to park since the race is relatively close to my house and I knew the area. I waited in line for the bathroom for about 15 minutes and then wandered around to find my friends.

Look who I found! I just kept looking for my friend Jeff’s baby blue headband in the crowd. We gathered in the very back of the pack and hung out and just chatted about the race. They are all super funny and we were laughing about lots of different characters at the race. The gun went off and we started about 5 minutes after the gun start, which wasn’t too bad at all. Once the race started there were a lot of people in the general vicinity but it was much more organized than last year. Being in the back and being the little retired greyhound racer I am, I started off slow, not knowing how I would feel. The first two miles I just cruised and passed some people. By mile 2 I realized, if I started to run a little bit faster I only had four miles to go. I decided I would run the next two miles fairly hard.

I ran really hard from mile 2-3 and it felt great. I thought it would be great to switch it up a tad and get in some speed work so I pushed a bit harder until mile 4. I decided at mile four after taking a quick drink that I would consistently run until I hit mile 5 and then I would start running faster again. As soon as I saw mile 5 I took off and felt great. It was such nice weather out and it was funny, people seemed surprised that I was passing them. Two guys looked at me saying, you go girl! I had great jams on and really turned it on the last mile. It was so fun and before I knew it, the I approached the 10k finish line and I was done.

I grabbed a few fliers after for some market research and waited around to find my friends. It was a great day for a race and minus a little hopping around people at the beginning, it was really fun and I really enjoyed myself. I realized that for me to excel in a 10k, I have to take off near the back of the pack and work my way towards the front. Minus leapfrogging some, I am much better and making myself work a little bit farther back in the race. I like the chase, what can I say. I came in at 49:48, which is about two minutes off my PR, but I am more than okay with that. I actually enjoyed running a 10k, which hasn’t ever happened before.

That course is so flat and so fast though, sheesh, if I would have trained, that is for sure a PR course! It was fun to go fast again and I look forward to another fun race. I want a medal now! :)

This morning I ran recovery for thirty minutes and felt good. I am a little worried about my foot but it held up alright and I am hoping it was just a fluke. I haven’t swam in a long time because it’s been a little rainy/chilly here, but I am looking forward to getting back to the pool and doing some weights soon. Shea and I have been busy looking at houses for a possible move, so that is taking up a lot of our time! We are excited though, we may have found something! :)

I also have been really busy at work, but I love my job. It’s so fun and crazy all the time. There are lots of new and exciting things that we are discussing and I can’t wait to share it with you guys. This weekend is another crazy time because it’s the Long Beach Grand Prix and I got tickets! I have never gone before and I can’t wait! Danica Patrick is racing on the day I’m going too and I’m so excited, I heard it’s so much fun. The weekend after that I leave to go to Canada for a week too!

21 Responses to Seal Beach 10k Race Report

1. Punk Rock Runner says:

I would love to run a 10K with the first number of my finish time being a 4. Nice race report speedy ;-)

2. great job in the race, thats a great time!

3. Leigh says:

Congratulations on the great 10K!

Where are you coming to in the Great White North? I live in Canada and love it!

4. Marlene says:

Congrats on the 10K. Way to have fun AND squeeze out some speed!

Have fun at the Grand Prix!

5. Lori says:

That 10k sounded awesome!
    I too will be at The Grand Prix. If you get into the garages go visit “Luczo Dragon Racing” team. My good friend is one of the car owners. I should be hanging out there. I would love to talk to you about running. I live on Maui. Hubby is originally from LBC.

6. BostonRunner says:

Great job on the 10K! I love flat and fast courses. Running with no particular plan in mind and for fun is the best : )

7. Ally says:

YAY for a great 10k! Aren’t the best races the ones where you just got to have fun? I ran a half over the weekend mainly for fun because I knew I wasn’t going to PR–funny thing was, I came in a minute over my PR. Had I actually trained, I would have PR’ed! Just goes to show how much of a difference taking stress out of the equation can make. At lease for me!

Canada? For a week? How fun? What part? I love BC, but haven’t been in ages. Safe travels!

8. Rebecca Jo says:

what an fantastic time for a 10k!!! You are awesome lady!

9. Andriana says:

Awesome job! Wish my 10K would have gone as well as yours. It was the complete opposite- hilly and slow.

10. Billy Burger says:

Nice job Danica! Pretty sure you had more fun last year running with me though. Pretty sure..

11. Awesome job on the 10K!!!!! Sounds like you ran a smart and pushed race and all based on feel….yay!

12. J says:

Great job on the 10k! I love flat courses! Hope you have fun at the Grand Prix and see lots of Danica Patrick!!

13. Cortney says:

I found your blog, hehe. Next year I’m totally doing the 10k with you crazy cats. Thanks for doing it with us, you def pumped us up, or atleast me! thanks!!

14. Congrats on the surprise 10K…you are a rockstar! :)

15. Crystal says:

Wow, sounds like it was a lot of fun! Like those guys said, “You go girl!!” :)

16. danica - ica says:

oh hai~~ been reading some entries and just wanted to say dat you are super sweet and superCute™and i like ur humor and attitude and love reading ur entries, V(^_^)V~!

i guess i will go to the creepers’ corner now and read some of ur older stuff…X_X~! (uhh yeah i hope thats not actually creepy, i just really, really, ridiculously wanna know more!!)

17. Tara says:

I am glad you enjoyed a 10K that didn’t involve any moments of death! Running with friends is always fun :)

18. Wohoooo Canada!!!!!!! Too bad I won’t be anywhere nearby! 

19. Yay, a 10K!
    Congrats on having fun.
    A 10K is definitely funner when you don’t have to run 20 miles before! Haha!

20. nicole says:

great job at the run D!! i love 10ks! not too short, not too long!! :)

21. super hot babe says:

Hey who is that guy in the blue head band? He is a hottie and I would love for him to sweat all over me. Let me know if he is available please!?!