Fun times with Pepper Spray

People have been asking about my new Pepper Spray and where I got it and how I run with it. Some have even asked why I would need pepper spray. Well since I’m no Karate Kid and not all my paths are filled with rainbows and daisies, I would much rather be safe than sorry.There are some ‘come as you are areas’ of the LBC, and when you run over 10 miles anywhere, that puts you pretty far away from your home. Believe me, I’ve thought about what I would do if I got attacked.

Scream. Though I don’t know if that would help, actually I highly doubt that would help.

Kick and Bite. I have considered both of these to be somewhat valid options, minus the fact that I’d probably get punched in the face and that would just ruin my teeth and I’d just start crying. Kicking is a good option though because my legs are fairly strong. Running can do that for you.

I’ve considered punching, but I know that would be worthless so that isn’t even in my bad of tricks. I figure why waste my energy on that when I know it is going to do nothing.

Then I thought about getting a taser, but that just sounds more fun than I’m sure it actually is and I just know I would taser myself. I think the thought of having a taser is pretty hilarious though.

The next best thing? PEPPER SPRAY! Now, I hope to never have to use this, but I’d rather be over-prepared than under-prepared. So I wanted to let you all know that now I’m carrying my iFitness belt and inside my belt I put the smallest pepper spray I could find. I also have attached it to the belt and flipped it up into the belt to keep it from bouncing and it works perfectly. I feel much safer with it and I’m glad I run with it now.

Someone asked me where I find pepper spray like mine that is small enough to run with, well I have some versions in my A-store as well!

First we have the Sabre Pepper Spray for $7.35 and it comes in pink or black :)

Then we have the Jogger Pepper Spray for $10.50 and it comes in black.

Also, the World’s Hottest Police Spray for $8.70 in black.

The Pepper Mace Jogger Spray is the last option and it comes with a little jogging strap that you can put on your hand when running and it’s $7.00.

Last and best, in my opinion we have the Sabre Pink Pepper Spray with keychain for $8.00.

Though I haven’t had to use my pepper spray yet, I want to be prepared if anytime comes and be sure that I am safe out while running!

35 Responses to Fun times with Pepper Spray

1. Gregg says:

A lot of my friends carry pepper spray on their keys/wallets and recently one of my friends found a way to accidentally spray herself. Sometimes I wonder how people make it as far in life.

2. Shannon says:

I just told my husband the other day how I needed a new thing of pepper spray and how awesome it would be if it were pink!

3. Ally says:

My MIL got me pepper spray last year when I started running a lot and I didn’t really want to take it with me because at the time I was running along a pretty busy nice little running path and it’s pretty safe. But, now when I do my early morning runs (especially in the winter when NO ONE is out) I stick it in my little SpiBelt. I’ve never had to use it, and am pretty confident I would actually spray myself instead of the attacker, I still feel safer with it!

And, sadly, mine is NOT pink.

4. Spamboy says:

Good post!

I know the point of the post is to discuss pepper sprays. But one of the best safety measures is to run in groups. I see many women jogging along before and after daylight, and it worries me.

I’ve heard people discount pepper sprays, saying that they’re just as likely to be used against you by an attacker who takes control of it. I’m not sure I buy that without hearing evidence — carrying the canister in your hand should make any woman a quick enough draw that they’d get the shot off.

5. Sarah says:

I was attacked by two off-leash German shepherds last year…very scary and I wish I’d had something with me for protection. I did have my cell phone, but that wasn’t too helpful during the actual encounter. :)

6. Naomi says:

Do you run with your pepper spray in-hand, finger on button, ready to push if attacked? Or do you keep it in your iFitness belt?

7. J says:

I have heard that hitting an attacker in the throat is the best thing. It is better than the groin because the next is really delicate and it hurts if you get hit there. Plus it can be in easy reach if someone is grabbing you.

8. Marlene says:

too funny that they come in PINK! glad you’re being safe!!

9. I agree, better safe than sorry! Mario likes to scare me and say if I got attacked to just remember that it could be the last fight I ever have, so fight like a mofo. :-/ scary but helpful. My mom’s advice is go for the eyes and crotch. LOL.

Oh, I have the regular black sabre one.

SAND THE FLOOR!

10. eca says:

Good info! I’d love to believe that my Madison is always safe, but that isn’t always true. It does get hard to always be in a safe familiar place if you don’t want to keep doing loops.

11. Page says:

I have the mini pink one and it works great because you can easily attach it to your keys for when you are not running, and just want to be a safe bad ass in general!

12. so i carry a 1 million volt taser in my purse…is that bad? hehe you can’t really tase youself because you have to flip an on/off switch on THEN hold down the button to do the actual tasing. :)

13. Beth B. says:

Danica – thanks for sharing; your message is a good reminder to all of us to Be Safe! You never know. Be aware of your surroundings and people nearby. Always let someone know where you are going and when you are expected back. Also – RoadID is a great idea for the worst case scenario. Get the kind that goes on your shoe and you are never without ID.

14. Morgan says:

I have the same one you do… now let me ask you this… is it just me or at first glance does it kinda sorta make you think of a handheld, electronic personal pleasure device?!?!? LOL! I’ve had people make comments before. Stay safe!

15. I once heard it said that if you’re ever attacked instead of yelling rape, you should yell FIRE!!!! Apparently it attracts way more attention. Go figure.

You know I’ve given the pepper spray thing some thought but I’m pretty well convinced it’s illegal in Canada. Although pepper spray is okay. Something about the ridonculous size of the container. No sneak attacks and all.

16. Oblivion says:

Just curious, do you practice drawing it and aiming? You augtta.

17. Abby says:

My husband is concerned for my safety as well.. he has suggested sawed off shot gones, numchucks, and ninja stars.

I, however, like the pink pepper spray with key chain!

18. Rebecca Jo says:

I totally need to get some of this! I live out in the country & run on some scary, empty country roads… seriously, there are like deer bones on the side of the road… I like the kind that wraps around the hand.. nice!

19. Carol says:

great article Danica! and thanks for your email earlier this wk. I am ordering the pink keychain one- better safe than sorry!

20. RoadBunner says:

Your post couldn’t have come at a better time. I have been thinking recently about getting pepper spray.

If any normal-sized man wanted to attack me, I’m afraid they could probably take me. My friend in high school used to grab both my wrists with ONE Of his hands and try as I might I could NOT get my hands free. And we were just playing so he wasn’t even being rough with me. So I figure if guy-hands can do that, there’s pretty much nothing I can do.

My boyfriend has coached me to kick a lot since I run. For me, too, punches would be a big joke. The BF also taught me to clasp both my hands together (remember F=ma from school?) and then thrust upwards at a guy’s adam’s apple if he is on top of you. Also I’m told to thrust upwards at their noses. I would also go for the eyes.

Anyhow, I’m thinking I should carry something on me. I’ve always been hesitant because I think I’d just spray myself. Or get overpowered and sprayed by the attacker. Pepper spray makes sense for dogs but not sure I’d have the where-with-all to get it out in time for a human attack.

Anyhow, I’m thinking about all this now.

I’m reading a book now, “The Gift of Fear” which is sort of freaking me out, but also good to learn about trusting your intuition and stuff.

LOL at your taser idea!!

pepper spray twinnies!! :)

22. Laurie says:

So what is your advice for bad weather marathons??? I have the country music half on Saturday and weather is looking horrid!!!!

23. Diana says:

I always carry pepper spray with me. Ever since I got bit by the dog! What ever makes you feel safe is worth it.

24. Kate Tate says:

my man got me a 10% one for xmas. love it. have it on me at all times in my spi belt. when i see creepers, i take it out and keep it in hand. love the looks i get when doing that!

25. Lori says:

I’ve often thought about this. My question is – if it’s in your belt and takes you “5 minutes” to get to to use, what good will it do? Could you really get it out in time? I don’t want to carry something in my hand though.

26. Glenn Jones says:

Remember – practice using your spray! If you’ve ever been in a situation requiring its use, things are happning fast and furious. You won’t have time to look and make sure you’re pointing the spray in the right direction, find the trigger, and spray.

And this is something that even us guys should consider. Wednesday night the NBPD found a *guy* runner unconcious next to Corona del Mar High School. He is in a coma at Hoag. No word on what happened, but these days anything is possible…

27. I carry mine in my hand with the key ring looped over my finger. It’s a pain in the ass honestly, but the trail I used to run was pretty desolate at times and a bit creeptastic.

Also, when a man would run past me, I would put it prominently in my hand so he could see that I was carrying it. I know, I’m nuts. LOL

Stay stafe chica! :)

28. Leanne says:

Do you feel its safer to run on streets (sidewalks) or in a area with little or no car traffic like a park? We have a park down the street from our house that has 6 miles of trails through wooded area. I dont know why but I think I would feel safer on main road. Ugh, I need to be brave so I can get off the treadmill.

29. Valerie says:

I use the Jogger. It fits in my SpiBelt or I will wrap it around the actual belt, since it has a velro handle. I think it’s pretty easy to get to if I had to use it. I get a little more nervous about the stray dogs than an attacker. For $8, why not?

30. Runner5260 says:

Ahh I bought pepper spray last year but never take it with me! I know I probably should, especially for my really early or really late runs when I’m by myself–but I never think about it until I’m a few miles in. Either way, it’s probably not doing much good for me hanging out in a drawer somewhere in my apartment.

My friend took a self-defense class a while ago, and she said there are actually CLASSES on how to use pepper spray. I was surprised because I thought it would be self explanatory, but maybe not?

Anyway if I ever do end up bringing it with me on my runs – which I should start getting in the habit – and actually end up using it, hopefully I won’t spray myself in the face or anything..

31. Stuart says:

…and here’s hoping you never have to!

Good PSA!

32. Sharon says:

So glad to hear you encourage runners to carry pepper spray. Hot Walkers are one pound dumbbells that can also be used when walking/jogging, they have the pepper spray built into the end and so the runner is always prepared to spray. I am bookmarking your page to share.

33. Cindy says:

Actually, there is something new out that is now legal for citizens use called the Pepperball Hotshot Pepper Gun. Supposed to be even better than pepper spray!

34. I just ordered the jogger spray this morning, right before I came across this post. I recently started my marathon training schedule in the wee hours of the morning and my SO decided that I needed to install this app on my phone so that I could check in with him periodically to let him know where I was on my route and if I was safe or not.

Turns out this app shows you where all the (convicted) pervs are in the area. Talk about SCARY! I run past a convicted kidnapper/rapist every day and upon discovering that, I felt that I absolutely needed to have some form of protection. At least the app has a button I can put real quick that send an alert to my family, letting them know that I’m in danger. That’s not quite enough though…

35. TheDreadedWoodenSpoon says:

My sister carries hers on a retractible reel, like you’d use for a work badge, so it’s always at the ready.