Days like this

Days like today remind me that I’m thankful to be alive. I’m thankful to have the family and friends that pepper my life with happiness. I cannot believe my life is what it is. I’ve done so many things I never though possible and sometimes when I think about all the things I’ve accomplished it blows my mind. I’ve ran 5 marathons, and I never really wanted to run one. I have some of the best friends a girl could ask for and their love for me means the world to me. I am happier than I ever have been in my life and I know I am in control of that happiness. I look around at pictures in my room and smile at all the memories that I have made throughout my life. I could have never guessed this would be my life, or that I would ever be where I am today, but I am so incredibly lucky to have gotten here.

But it’s days like today when I am reminded that a giant piece of my heart is missing. That the memories that I made for the first twenty years of my life would be different from April 6, 2006 forward. But before I get tripped up on how much I miss her, and how much I wish she was still here, waiting for me at the finish lines of one of my races, wanting to know how my training was going and calling to see if I was okay after a long day of work, I realize how incredibly blessed I was to have her for the twenty years that I did.

It would be selfish of me to think anything else. Her attitude made the sassy, independent, stubborn, caring person I am today. I will forever be grateful for my mom being a part of my life. I will forever be grateful for her fighting cancer for four years and showing me who I wanted to be when I grew up. I miss her saying that she is proud of me the most, but I know that is so incredibly proud of me and what I’ve become.

Four years ago my life changed forever when my mom died of breast cancer. Four years ago I learned the definition of hurt and pain. But four years I started learning more about myself and who I was and what I wanted to stand for. I learned what was important and what I wanted to live for. I have you to thank for that, Mom. You’ve taught me more than any book ever could. You’ve taught me that life is short and I have to embrace special moments and live for today. That I should tell people I love them and do things I normally wouldn’t, and I’ve never been happier.

I will forever be grateful for the blessing you were and continue to be in my life, for the lessons you’ve taught me, and the love you shared with me, but I will forever miss you.

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

• Reply Melanie

Sending love your way girl. Beautiful post.

April 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm
  • Reply Kik

Sending an extra thought of comfort your way and keeping you in my thoughts. What a lovely post and a stunning mom, you are a legacy to be proud of.

April 6, 2010 at 7:14 pm
  • Reply Nicole

beautiful post, D <3

my heart is with you and your brother today. your friendship means alot to me and i am SO thankful to have met you and am SO thankful to have you apart of my life. your one of the most amazing people i have ever met and your mom helped mold you into my little kooie koo koo that i love to pieces!

if you ever need a shoulder, or someone to yell at or even someone to just talk to, i'm here for you… no matter what, always.

love & miss you… so much <3

April 6, 2010 at 7:28 pm
  • Reply Maggie

I love you so much sweet friend and your Momma is shining down so proud of you. She seems like she was an incredible woman, just like you. xoxoxoxo

April 6, 2010 at 7:30 pm
  • Reply Mrs Jetplane

Thoughts are with you friend. No doubt your mother is smiling down on you and so proud of what you’ve been doing this past yr or so. You’ve found your happiness and that is a parent’s wish for their child. Stay Strong….you’re a rockstar…

April 6, 2010 at 7:45 pm
  • Reply The Laminator

You know D, you have your mom’s fighting spirit. You show that everyday in all that you do! So sorry for your mom leaving you at such a critical age for a young women, but she obviously gave you everything you need to find happiness and success in this world!

Totally feeling you tonight, my friend. Take care!

April 6, 2010 at 8:42 pm
  • Reply Bambee

Thinking of you on such a tough anniversary. I haven’t lost a parent, but a child. I know that it is a similar loss and one that forever resonates in your heart and soul. You are an amazing young woman – your mom would be very proud.

April 6, 2010 at 11:50 pm
  • Reply Molly

I lost my dad when I was 15 and totally understand what you mean when somedays you just want them there to watch you graduate from college or just sit at the dinner table with them! The most important thing is that it puts life in perspective and makes you realize you are a heck of a lot stronger than you ever thought you were!

April 7, 2010 at 7:51 am
  • Reply April

Your mother would be so proud of you. What a touching tribute your post is to her memory. HUGS!!

April 7, 2010 at 10:26 am
  • Reply Heather (

love that sweet pic of you 2!

April 7, 2010 at 11:20 am
  • Reply Alina

Beautifully said, Danica. Your strength is inspiring. Xoxo

April 7, 2010 at 11:21 am
  • Reply Maria

This just brought tears to my eyes!! I can’t imagine how you feel.

April 7, 2010 at 5:23 pm
  • Reply Candice

What a precious post, Danica. My heart goes out to you because I can’t imagine what it’s like to lose a parent. Your mom obviously was very inspiring and your strength is so encouraging…you are making an impact on others, just like your mom made on you.

April 7, 2010 at 7:12 pm
  • Reply Lindsay

What a heartwarming post, so beautiful and touching! Thinking of you!

April 8, 2010 at 7:06 am
  • Reply Jess

Wow that brought tears to my eyes! Beautiful tribute to your mom, and no doubt she is so proud of you!

April 8, 2010 at 7:14 am
  • Reply Glenn Jones

Very touching Danica.

April 8, 2010 at 8:04 am
  • Reply southernwebgirl

If I had lost my mom at age 20, I don’t know where I would be today. You are so strong.

April 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm
  • Reply Kerrie @ Mom vs. Marathon

What a touching post. I’m sure your mom is proud of all that you’ve accomplished so far.

April 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm
  • Reply Molly

Oh Danica,
    I know your pain all too well! I lost my father to lung cancer on 3.8.2005, and not a day goes by that I don’t think of him. He was my #1 fan, and sometimes, as I cross the finish line of a race, the reminder that he is not there physically, still hits me like a ton of bricks. But I truly believe in trying to find the silver lining in every situation, and I am very grateful to have had him for my first 23 years of my life! We are lucky people to have had such wonderful parents, even if it was for a short while.

April 9, 2010 at 8:32 pm