Running by Feel

A while back I posted a picture I took at the Surf City Half Marathon of a Blind Runner and their ‘guide dog’. I got a lot of comments about how inspiring it was and I have to say it was truly inspiring to me too. I think that seeing people overcome struggles is one of the most pivotal things that can happen in sports and I think that reading stories and seeing others achieving their goals is not only awe-inspiring but also humbling. It’s moments that happen where you realize how lucky you are. How sights and sounds are every day occurrences to us and might not be to everyone around us.

A reader left a comment that she was actually was a ‘guide dog’ in her track club and I was immediately interested. I wanted to hear more of her story and how she took part in the events! So below is her story and how she works with Joe a blind runner. Read on about Laura and be inspired!

Have you ever thought “I wonder what it would be like to be blind?” or “I wonder what it would be like to be deaf?” I know I have, and as a runner I can’t imagine doing my sport without either my sight or hearing.

For the past several months I’ve had the pleasure of being a “guide dog” for Joe, a blind runner in SacFIT running group. Joe is a 30 something runner who lost his sight in his teens due to a disorder where the retina’s detached in his eyes.  Since then he’s been blind but lives by the motto that he’s going to fall down and he’s going to bump into people, but he will get up and keep trying.  Joe is an active participant in Goalball, a Paralympics sport designed for blind athletes.  He’s played in many countries and just recently went to the Lake Placid, NY for the Paralympics team tryouts.

My running relationship with Joe started at the track workouts in Fall 2009 when our head coach paired us up.  Now trust me, I was very apprehensive about running with Joe at first.  I had seen him run with our head coach before, but still, having someone’s direction in your hands, even when you’re just running around an oval can seem daunting.  But I thought, “Why not give it a shot?”

When Joe and I run we are tethered together by stretchy phone cord.  I have one end and he has the other and he runs just off my right shoulder.  He’s able to keep pace with me by running next to me, listening to my feet and bumping my arm every once in a while to be sure he’s still in the right place.  I give him cues like when we are going into a turn and when we are coming out or if he’s drifting too far away I give the cord a slight tug and he moves back into place.  I give him a heads up if we are going to fast or too slow, but he pretty much just runs along side and keeps pace.

On the trail runs it’s pretty much the same thing, except there are many more variables such as trail conditions, bikes, holes, when to fuel and drink water, etc. Joe and I still run tethered together, he stays on the trail while I run in the dirt on the side.  As a group we yell cues for bikes, potholes, etc. so he pretty much knows everything that’s going on while we are out there.  We also do hand signals to assist the two deaf runners in our group.

I have come to really enjoy my time on the trail with Joe.  We discuss many different issues and he teaches me a lot about the things he’s been through and how he’s working to help the blind community.  I also feel good in helping him to achieve his goals.  He’s hoping to run a half marathon this year with our training group.  Last year he ran the California International Marathon relay, which he said he really enjoyed. My goal is to just provide the best running environment possible for Joe so he can achieve his goals. I’m proud of him for coming out, putting himself out there and running. He’s an inspiration to me and many other people in our training group.

Thanks for Sharing Laura! :) I found the story to be interesting and I hope you did too. Today is a rest day for me and tomorrow morning I have 5 miles. Thankfully the weather has been wonderful all week!

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

• Reply Punk Rock Runner

Great post. Reminds me that maybe the rain and traffic really aren’t that bad today. Inspired.

March 3, 2010 at 9:15 am
  • Reply Jose

A few of my friends are in Sac Fit and they are the nicest bunch of folks.

A very inspiring story and always fun to find local Sacramento area/ nor cal runners via your blog Danica!

March 3, 2010 at 9:21 am
  • Reply Erin

What a wonderful story! It certainly helps put things into perspective when I am having a down day!

March 3, 2010 at 9:51 am
  • Reply Marathon Maritza

I love this amazing and inspiring story! The running community really is a ‘community’ and I love to hear stories about runners giving to others. We see a lot of fundraising out there as a way of giving (which is great) but it’s much more rare and incredible to hear about a runner giving a safe environment and guidance for another runner.

Awesome, D.

March 3, 2010 at 9:55 am
  • Reply Tara

This makes me so happy and is truly an inspiration! It’s an amazing thing Laura is doing for Joe and it really puts life into perspective.

March 3, 2010 at 10:01 am
  • Reply Morgan

This is SO awesome! Imagine how much you could learn from him and yourself. So inspiring! Great post, thanks for digging deeper for info and sharing!

March 3, 2010 at 10:17 am
  • Reply Kelly

What an inspirational story!

March 3, 2010 at 10:21 am
  • Reply David

Reminds me of when I used to run with an Italian Greyhound (before we knew he was going night-blind)…the kind of trust they put in their ‘guide’ is amazing. This little dog had no arm bumping to see if he was still in the right place…he just fully trusted that the path I was guiding him on was a clear and safe path.

It’s great to see people out there doing this for other people though! Very inspirational to see how selfless Laura is… To give up running for PRs and personal goals in order to help someone less-fortunate simply DO a race…amazing. I’m in awe! These are the type of people the world needs more of!

March 3, 2010 at 10:55 am
  • Reply Marlene

Oh wow, what an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing!

March 3, 2010 at 11:17 am
  • Reply Laura Georgina

Wow. Laura is the bomb diggity! Really makes you feel inspired both by her running buddy and the goodness of so many people who donate their time and talents to helping others.

March 3, 2010 at 11:26 am
  • Reply Julie @ Wearing Mascara

What an awesome and inspiring story! :-) I work with deaf, blind, and deaf/blind students on a daily basis and they surprise me EVERY DAY. It definitely is motivation for us who have all of our senses. If they can do it, we can do it! :-)

March 3, 2010 at 11:32 am
  • Reply Robyn

That’s so incredible!! Laura, you’re awesome.

March 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm
  • Reply Ashley

i have tears in my eyes. apparently i have no excuse not to hit the pavement this afternoon. off i go. thanks for sharing this story.

March 3, 2010 at 1:32 pm
  • Reply Corina

No excuses now. Thanks for the inspiration!

March 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm
  • Reply Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly

WOW! WOW! WOW! That is the most inspiring story I have ever heard!

March 3, 2010 at 3:19 pm
  • Reply Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly

I tweeted this…it was too amazing!

March 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm
  • Reply Nicole @ Making Good Choices

This is so inspiring! What an amazing thing to do. Thanks for sharing this with us.

March 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm
  • Reply Nicole

I love this post!!! :) Melanie and I passed a man running the Chicago marathon that was blind! Super inspiring and amazing!

March 3, 2010 at 7:14 pm
  • Reply Heather

Wow this totally inspired me. I love this story!

March 3, 2010 at 7:23 pm
  • Reply The Laminator

That is so awesome and inspiring! Digging the story!

March 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm
  • Reply kristen

WOW. Great story. How could you ever feel overwhelmed with life when you have someone like Joe around?!! Very cool.

p.s. Danica – thanks for the heads up on the bars.

March 4, 2010 at 8:44 am
  • Reply Glenn Jones

Inspiring! Thanks for sharing Danica. Now that you work for ICR – you need to search out the guy who ran the Long Beach Marathon last year pushing his wife in the wheelchair. The whole friggin way. I passed him about mile 17. It was tough to run the next couple miles because the tears in my eyes kept getting in the way….

March 4, 2010 at 8:50 am
  • Reply Taylor

Awesome story- so inspirational! Thanks for sharing!

March 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm