Lemme upgrade you!

This might not be the most exciting to some, but I just wanted to share about how much I appreciate the city of Long Beach replacing the jank drinking fountains that used to line the beach path I run along with THESE! First off, the old ones were pretty ghetto and looked like you could have contracted some disease just by taking a drink from them. Now, I’m no engineer but these new ones are AMAZING. When I was on my run the other day I saw them and I had to stop, I was that excited. Yes, I’m that lame. So I went over and inspected them.

THEY ARE GENIUS! First off, the fountain is on a slight, slight angle so the water drains down into the ‘base’ of the fountain. That is hollow so the water just flows right down to the bottom and then disperses to the area around the fountain. Since it’s along the beach path, a lot of sand is usually in the area which can soak the water right up.  This is about a hundred times better than the bird bath looking fountains that collected water for ages before. Also, the stainless steel seems like you can just power wash those bad boys down to keep them clean and germ free. They seem to be able to also withhold the elements of being on the beach as well. HOORAY City of Long Beach! Whoever designed these is brilliant!

Who knew I could get so excited about drinking fountains?

23 Responses to Lemme upgrade you!

1. Jocelyn says:

Even though I don’t live there, these are rather exciting. such a sexy water fountain!

2. Stevi says:

Awesome!

How I wish our dang park system would install more then one water fountain every 15 miles along our own paths.

:-)

3. ny wolve says:

Those look great. The ones in Central Park work OK (when they work),but are not nearly as chic. The Central Park ones also have little pools at the bottom for dogs. Nice.job Long Beach.

4. Laurie says:

Can’t wait for the IFitness belt give away!! I was thinking this morning, while by myself that I wish I could have brought my phone, but I was not going to carry it six miles!!! And yes, the simple pleasures like good water fountains!!!

5. Robyn says:

Wow those are impressive!

6. Ann says:

Cool! would be excited also having those along my running path!

7. here is a haiku for you:

New drinking fountains
    Will quench my thirst while I run
    So happy I’ll crump.

8. Marlene says:

There are NO public water fountains around here. Those look awesome – enjoy!

9. awesome! clean water is def. important. kudos!

10. Vic says:

Nice!!

We have a 10 mile loop around the lake here and there are lots of fountains… but seriously half of them are broken at any given time. Annoying. Especially when it’s 100 degrees. :(

11. Bill says:

Uhhhhh, you just got 10 comments about drinking fountains (this doesn’t count). What’s this world coming to? hahaha

12. x-country2 says:

Awesome. Nice work Long Beach. Nebraska hasn’t even heard of things like water fountains along running routes.

13. Madison says:

We still have those older bird bath type water fountains here in Irvine along the path I run on. It grosses me out beyond belief. After I take a drink sometimes I want to hurl. Gross spiderwebs and what-nots. But I am happy that at least they are there and I don’t have to act like a camel and carry a ton of water with me. I have major water fountain envy right about now.

14. Scott says:

We need those in NYC. Wait, first they need to turn them on in NYC then they need to change them to dual fountains.

15. RoadBunner says:

That is awesome. The ones in SF are the bird-bath types (and I’ve seen birds sitting on the clogged ones drinking!).

16. It is the little things that make a difference right?

17. liane says:

I understand your excitement!
    We have a 10K lake loop, with about 4 fountains, but during the cold months, they shut down the water, so from November to early March, none of the fountains work.
    I might have done giddy claps and a little dance when I discovered the water had been restored this month ;)

18. Jessica says:

My town’s drinking fountains are still closed from the winter. FAIL!

19. Katie A. says:

Yeah, I’m extremely jealous – enjoy them girly!! I’m stuck with a handheld :p

20. Glenn Jones says:

How cool are those? I agree with you about the old ones with the bowls that could be used as bird baths or even?????

Irvine and Newport need to get on the stick here. Man. To think what I used to take for granted.

this is exciting! i dont even have a flipping hose for water so one fountain would thrill me! i’m uber jealous!

22. cyberHag says:

Oh boy, could LA beach path use some of these!

23. Pingback: Becoming your own Sherpa | Chic Runner