LA Marathon Expo aka the first Expo I worked with my new job

So on Friday I had to work the Expo for the LA Marathon with my new job, Run Racing (formerly ICR). We had a booth for the LA County Half Marathon, the Long Beach ICB Marathon and then the OC Marathon. Since I started in the middle of February it’s been go-go-go getting ready for the LA Marathon and the Expo. It was overwhelming but great and I do love my new job! The people I work with are hilarious and being busy 24/7 is the way that I work the best. We had to re-design our fliers for two events, get our expo booth totally redesigned, re-brand ourselves including new email addresses, new business cards and update websites and plan, plan, plan. It was fantastic and seeing everything come together was the best feeling! I really liked how the booth came out and felt that it was a great way to showcase the important features of both races.

These were the two expo booths that I worked on for Run Racing. The Long Beach ICB Marathon is on the right hand side and the LA County half is on the left hand side. I am so grateful to our graphic designer and everyone who was working so hard on getting these done. They looked so awesome.

The Long Beach ICB Marathon and Half Marathon backdrop up close.

The LA County Half Marathon backdrop up close.

I left my house at 7 am Friday morning and got to the expo around 9 after sitting in traffic for two hours. Two hours to go 31 miles. Annoying to say the least. Once we got there we set everything up it was a great day for an expo. The sun was out and people were already milling around at 10, even though it didn’t start until 11! We were inside a tent and it stayed a nice temperature all day. I had a few fun visitors too at the tent and having people stop by and introduce themselves was really cool!

This is Andrea, we oddly enough have the same last name and have ran so many of the same races but never met! I have a very strange last name, since us Dutch people are weirdos and seem to love vowels, and it’s NOT common, so imagine my surprise when I found her on a lot of the same race results! We finally met at the expo and it was so fun to meet another girl with my last name…. and how crazy is it that we look so much alike. We seriously could be sisters! She ran the marathon with her group “We Rock”, which is a group that works with kids to encourage them to run. A huge group of them ran LA the next day!

The remarkable and encouraging Chris Shauble came by and said hello. He is hilarious and his kind words mean so much to me. He was jumping around and super excited to be there per usual. Good to see you Chris!

My friend Nina stopped by and she rocked LA the next day.  Her and her husband are some of the most hospitable and nice people I have ever met, and they are both amazing cooks. :)

Then, I finally got to meet Ms. V, who is from a small town that I used to know all too well called Ripon! She is a crack up and though she is a Dodger lover, she is still great in my book! I was so happy to finally meet her in real life.

I also got to finally meet Lisa, we talk on twitter often! She is super sweet and meeting her was another great aspect of my day! :)

Then, Andy Baldwin, of Bachelor fame, and another twitter friend stopped by and said hello as well. He is super nice and I was glad we finally got to meet.

Myself, Andy, Lisa and another great friend Lori all stopped by.

Then Emil spent some time at the booth and some other maniacs made appearances! Meeting more maniacs was super exciting since I was going to wear my maniacs jersey for the LA Marathon. I love the running community and what everyone does for each other.

It was different being on the ‘other side’ of the expo and answering questions about different races. You get a lot of the same questions, but it’s fun and exhausting all at the same time. You are on your feet for a long time, but I love talking about the races, especially Long Beach. So many people are so kind and it was great working the expo. There are many more in my future and if you are going to be there please stop by and say hello! The expo lasted all day until 8 pm and then I met up with some friends right around the corner for dinner around 8:45 pm. It was great, but I was exhausted.

Finally, I left for home and got back around 10:30. I got sucked into a Dog Whisperer with Shea and looking at more baby clothes she made. I knew that I would be tired from being on my feet all day but I was glad that I got to meet so many great people and that I had officially worked my first expo.

Saturday, luckily, I had the day off the expo since I was running Sunday, so I took it fairly easy. My brother was throwing a birthday party for his roommate so I stopped by his house for a bit and then went out to dinner and just relaxed. I was pretty calm and felt okay about Sunday at that point. I went to bed at 10 and slept well.

Tomorrow the longest race recap of your life awaits you.

I ran 15 minutes this morning and I am going to swim 2000 meters after work today. I really need to work on my consistency. Lesson learned.

32 Responses to LA Marathon Expo aka the first Expo I worked with my new job

1. Tara says:

The booth looked really good and SO many peeps came to visit! Heellllloooo Andy ;)

2. Jessica says:

I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog and all your race recaps! I have promised myself, and put it on my bucket list to make it out to California to run a couple races. I am from Ohio, so the chance to come out there would be amazing. Keep up the great work lady!! :D

3. Shannon says:

Sounds like you had fun working your first expo!

Are you working on a post about the races you hope to do in the future…such as the Little Rock Marathon?? :D

4. Billy Burger says:

Them’s some good lookin’ people right there – gotta love LA!

I know it was a long day, but glad you got that expo experience in. Dinner was fun too, although you missed the German beer + sausages after.

Great job again on Sunday kid!

5. Adam says:

So, I don’t comment a lot, but I had to say… You and Andrea could totally be sisters! It must be something about that Dutch heritage.

6. ilovesteaks says:

You’re going to get sick of seeing me at race expos! Are we still on to do Little Rock? :D

7. How fun! I love your job and all the interesting people you got to meet is awesome! Can’t wait for the recap tomorrow – your recaps are the best!

8. I loved all the pictures and I do have to comment on one fact: you have AWESOME hair!

9. Chelsey says:

I love reading your blog!!
    A small town named Ripon? Where is this small town?
    Because I’m currently sitting in the small town of Ripon, WI. (But somehow I’m thinking you weren’t talked about the Wisconsin town…)

10. Vic says:

Look at you go! Awesome job at your first expo (and race, yeah, that too) :)

11. Marlene says:

Congrats on working your first expo! Glad to hear everything went well, though BUSY! Looking forward to that recap…

12. David says:

i would take the day off tomorrow and just say “see Billy’s race recap here!” lol not that you won’t write a good one, but his is a lot about you (and with tons of great pictures)!

13. David says:

i take it back. i actually can’t wait to read yours! ;)

14. Hilary says:

That looks like such a fun job. Congrats on the new gig!

15. RoadBunner says:

Ooh, great expo report! Sad I didn’t go to the expo. Easy way to meet up with you this past weekend. You are going to be an expo celebrity. Do your coworkers think it is funny SO many people know you?

16. aron says:

soo fun!!! that is a GREAT way to get to meet up with all the people at the expo, just work at a booth all day :) lol. maybe i will come sit with you while you work at sfm.

cant wait for your report!

17. Jess says:

I didn’t realize you had gotten a new job. I totally missed that memo. Fail.

But it sounds like a pretty awesome gig if you get to work at race expos and meet lots of fun runner people!

18. heids says:

I can’t believe how much you and Andrea look alike and can’t wait for tomorrows recap!

19. liane says:

Very cool that you got to meet up with a lot of runners and bloggers :)

20. Rinus says:

Nice meeting whit runners and the expo looks good and a good job to do!.
    And dutch, not so easy, al zeg ik het zelf ;-).
    Rinus.

21. Yay! So glad you had a good first expo experience and that you got to meet so many people! You did good, D!

22. Samantha says:

What a fun day!! Looks like a nice day and a nice expo to be at!

23. BostonRunner says:

Sounds like you had fun working your first expo! Seems like suuuchh a cool job!
    You and Andrea could totally be related, that’s so funny!

24. Jessica says:

I saw on Access Hollywood that Shia LaBouef ran the LA Marathon, too.

25. Sarah says:

Congrats on a successful event! It must be so rewarding working for a company that you believe in and have a passion for! Do you happen to know if there is a sister company or similar running company in Seattle? I have been very inspired by your change of positions in the past month! If you know of anything in WA please let me know at [email protected]

26. Jocelyn says:

I want you job. But I’m sure you get that a lot! Congrats at a successful expo! :D

27. I really enjoyed reading this post and thinking about life on the other side of the racing fence. Looking forward to reading your race recap soon.

28. I kind of LOVE the signage – especially the LA County one! You guys did an awesome job re-branding!!!

29. Candice says:

Great job on the booths! What an awesome job.

I can’t wait for the race recap!! Your recaps always inspire me to get out there and run:)

30. Tasha says:

Your booth looks awesome for the expo and it seems like such a fun (and exhausting day)! Can’t wait to hear about the race!

31. Kelli says:

Your booth looks great! That’s awesome you got to meet so many people!

32. Kelly says:

Hi,
    I live in thE Oc. Newport Beach and came a across your blog here. I’m interested in becoming a maniac. I’m 32 yrs. Run a lot :) Your new job looks great. Was wondering more and maybe you could tell me how to get involved etcc…. I’m in sales for a retail store now but my passion of running keeps doors open. Could you tell me more, thanks- Kelly