it’s been asked constantly… BOOTY SHORT TIME!

Many people ask me about the shorts I wear when I race. They are normally a blend of spandex and another stretchy material, which I have found over the past year works best for racing. If you get complete spandex shorts, expect them to ride up. As in you will pull them down the entire time you are running. My go-to’s, up until recently, were spandex Nike team shorts. They were about an inch inseam and I wore a medium. I like how they were slightly banded on the edges, that really seemed to keep them down. Recently, I have realized that my Nike shorts have seen better days and the spandex of the shorts was losing it’s snap. So therefore the Nikes will be retired. Sheesh Nikes are just getting retired all over the place aren’t they! No more Nike shoes, no more Nike shorts. I did recently find a new pair that I really like though. There are a few things to keep in mind when you are looking for booty shorts.

I love these Under Armour shorts even though they are a tad longer. I love the waist and how they fit. They aren’t SUPER spandexy. It’s that good blend. :) I wore these in an LA Marathon preview if you want to see them in action.

First thing is TRY THEM ON before buying them. There are many pairs that I’ve looked at and then tried on and went, “NOPE!” Things on the hanger can look a lot different on your body and some times things that look great on the hanger do NOT look great on and vice versa. Also, it’s hard to try to run in shorts while in the dressing room but what I’ve found that works to see if they move and expose is to do some simple stretches. Try to do things that would possibly make the shorts ride up. Sounds strange, but you don’t want to be 8 miles into a long run and your butt is hanging out for the world to see. Believe me, I’ve been there and it’s awkward.

These are my nikes that I wear often for races. These are also the ones that seem to have lost their elasticity after too many wears. Sad day. But I do like how the waist is lower and the inseam is pretty small. I wore these in many race reports.

Secondly, make sure that you check out the fabric. You don’t want to get something cotton or see through. I have seen a lot of girls wearing leggings that you can get anywhere, mostly target or forever 21, to the gym. Guess what lovelies, these are SEE THROUGH. I only wear those underneath dresses and long tanks for a reason, so the world doesn’t get exposed to my butt! So check and make sure fabric isn’t see through by putting your hand under the fabric and stretching it over. If you see any color of skin, just imagine that when your doing your work out at the gym and that fabric is stretched over your butt. Don’t give people a free show. Secondly, Cotton isn’t dry-wicking so when you sweat on your butt, aka swamp butt, it’s going to show up. Spandex blend is a little more forgiving when it comes to showing sweat. Keep that in mind when picking out colors too. I found a pair of light green booty shorts that I really liked, then when I realized sweat would show in them I opted against them. Perhaps not buying them though still haunts me to this day. :/

These are made by Champion and these are SMALL. The waist goes rather high though, which I don’t like. I have a few pairs with a high waist and I’m not the biggest fan. I wore these for my LA Marathon route preview if you want to see them in action.

Thirdly, notice where they hit on your inner thigh area. This is the area where chafing might occur, so make sure that they don’t ride up in that area. Also make sure that there is enough fabric there that if your thighs touch, mine do, then they won’t be rubbing skin on skin. If they are a little shorter, body glide like a champ or Vaseline that area and you’ll be just as golden. Remember, booty shorts WILL ride up just a tad so you have to take that into consideration when purchasing a pair. If you like a longer pair, get a longer pair, if you want them ridiculously short, like the ones I wore in Long Beach, go for it. It’s all about what you are comfortable in and what you want. Make sure that the shorts are not too tight and remember that they will roll up a little bit at the bottom of the shorts when you run as well. I like to wear mine just a little bit higher than normal too, but I wear normal shorts VERY low, so I don’t know where the ‘normal’ place to wear them is. I also make sure that they don’t move when I jump or stretch my legs as if I’m running a hill. They can creep up during those times.

The biggest thing to think about when rocking the booty shorts is to not worry about what other people think. I RARELY wear mine to the gym because I feel that wearing them to the gym might just be taking it to a weird level of booty short dedication, but about 95% of my runs are done in booty shorts. I feel much more comfortable in them and for me, they are fun to run in. They aren’t for everyone, but if you want to try them out, go for it! Don’t be scared of the spandex! When you think about wearing them, don’t think BUT, they won’t look good on me, or BUT they won’t fit right. Think instead, my BUTT will look great! Confidence, Confidence, Confidence, if you have that, you’ll turn heads!

Here are some links that can help you find the perfect pair of spandex for you.

Road Runner Sports 3.5 inch inseam Shorts

Pearl Izumi Low Rise Shorts

Pearl Izumi Longer Shorts

Puma Knee Shorts

New Balance 3 inch inseam Shorts

Puma Essential Fitted Shorts

Asics Stride Shorts

Hope that helps answer all the bootylicious questions out there!

39 Responses to it’s been asked constantly… BOOTY SHORT TIME!

1. Jess says:

I had a pair of Under Armour ones that I loved several years ago, but finally wore out. I plan to hit up the UA Outlet when I’m home with my momma in April to stock up on some new ones.

Three cheers for booty shorts making our booties look hot!

2. Mel says:

I’m too scared to run in shorts. I wear running skorts instead! :D

3. Heather says:

my butt is huge compared to the rest of my body and I am just not brave enough! Maybe one day. But I will stick to my running skirts for now. But great review/guide!

4. Oblivion says:

I’d say “BEST. ARTICLE. EVER!” BUT it needs better pics. ;)

For any of your other male readers, I have to give mad props to UnderArmour Long Box Jocks undershorts. When I dropped $20 or whatever on my first pair, I thought, “These should come with a kiss.” Or something to that effect. After my first few long runs in them, I bought 2 more pairs without a second though of the price. Nothing is ever out of place. Even in the rain, thigh-rub is a non issue (I have one shorter pair, and I have to be careful those don’t roll/creep up). I wear them any time I’m active now – great for snowboarding.

With those ‘under,’ it really doesn’t matter what I wear on top. Though short-shorts would look pretty silly. :D

5. Tiffany says:

Great post! I found finding the perfect shorts to the the hardest thing when I was doing the 3-Day. You want something comfortable since you are going to be in them (and moving) for quite some time!

6. Kristen says:

If you are planning on taking a loan out against your 401(k), I suggest the LuLu Lemon shorts… I wasn’t really into “booty” shorts until I got these. They aren’t as short as yours, but these are SUPER comfortable and never ride up. They even have a fun little hidden pocket in the front for your phone. Not to mention the fabric is heavenly. Perfect thickness that it hides anything that you might not want to show…
    They have shorter ones as well, I just have these because I like a little length and they are amazing!

7. Sesa says:

I usually wear knee-length leggings, but after reading your blog I started looking for booty shorts!

I’m looking for a pair that doesn’t dig into my stomach or ride up my bum, so your list is so helpful. Time for some online shopping!

8. Don’t you do any reviews on men’s shorts?! Geez :-)

9. David says:

Definitely agree with Oblivion’s entire comment above ;)

and best line: “Don’t give people a free show.”

lol great post!

:) Love this bootylicious post!! :)

11. LOVE this! Thank you – it’s so helpful. Question, do you wear these during everyday runs or just for races? Right now, I’m in the market for some shorts (maybe not “booty” shorts) for my runs. Got any suggestions?

12. Nicki says:

YAY!!! I’ve been waiting for this post! Love it!! And I second your advice on the leggings… more girls should be aware of what they’re wearing! :)

Thanks for the advice and opinions!

13. tommy2shoes says:

Danica you are to much! ;) Loved the post

14. aron says:

yayyy! I just ordered some from Lucy so we will see how it goes. I might have to test them out against some of your other suggestions. EEK.

15. Marlene says:

I definitely need new shorts this summer… thanks for all the ideas!

LOL @ the see-through tights. What are people thinking?@

16. Morgan says:

Your love and attention to detail for the booty shorts is so inspiring! LOL! I always think of you when I rock my shorty-short booty shorts… I “channel my inner Chic Runner”! :)

17. RoadBunner says:

While I’ve worn capri tights/tights I have never run in little booty shorts. Not sure I have the confidence to pull that off! I also never realized there was such an in depth science to booty short selection :) Well, you rock them, that is for sure!

18. Diddy says:

Haha I’m that girl at the gym and on my runs wearing those Forever 21 leggings. I’m definitely aware I’m giving a peep show but I can’t afford real running tights. I’ll make the investment soon.

I love this post! :)

19. Robyn says:

So true about the cheapy leggings. My Forever 21 ones are so see-through. Do you ever have chafing issues wearing short shorts with your thighs rubbing at all? Or are you blessed with thigh separation haha.

20. AWESOME!!! Currently I am loving the Kswiss run short! They are perfect!

21. Alisa says:

Oh girl you crazy!

I could not imagine!!!!! I have a pair of “booty” shorts that I’ve never even worn around my husband =).

22. What do I do to get a free show?

23. POM says:

You’re so cute. I wish I could wear booty shorts, but cellulite and a fat tummy don’t quite work with ‘em. ha ha.

24. ShutupandRun says:

Is 43 too old for the booty short?

25. Great post! My spandex shorts ride up ALL THE TIME. Hate it. Maybe it’s because there not the good blend? I dunno but I NEED to find a good pair of shorts for this running season and then I’ll probably buy 2 or 3 pairs!

26. Jocelyn says:

Booty booty booty booty rockin every were. I have too much shame to run in booty shorts. And chaffing like whoa. You go girl!

27. GirlonRaw says:

Hey timely post on this one. I’ve tracked back to you as well as I wrote about workout wear today. Thanks for the info :))

28. Jamie says:

Say what you want about see through booty shorts, but when they are that short and tight, they aren’t hiding too much either way. ;-)

Kudos to you for going with what is most comfortable to you. Too few of us do that.

29. Susan says:

I love my booty shorts! They’re so comfy and freeing…and they don’t look too shabby either!

30. Glenn Jones says:

I bounced over here from Google Reader just to see all the inappropriate comments. I’ve go to say, I’m disappointed ;-)

31. Meg T says:

I need to try some booty shorts. My shorts have definitely gotten shorter the longer I’ve been running. And I hate those puffy track shorts that make your hips look huge.

32. kristen says:

You go girl. I can’t rock the booty shorts – but you sure can!

33. Kirbey says:

Haha you have started a trend! I love my booty shorts!

34. This was highly entertaining and more informative than I expected for a dude. I’ll pass along to my female runner friends. LONG LIVE BOOTY SHORTS!

35. Once upon a time I said you’d have to pay me good money to ever catch me in a pair of running tights! Now I have a pair of the short ones and want many many many more!!!

Maybe one day I’ll say the same thing about booty shorts! :)

36. Lululemon makes a few different pairs of booty shorts, technically they’re for yoga but they’re the same fabric as the ones you’re talking about, they have a low waist, and they don’t ride up. A tad pricey, but they last forever and it’s the perfect fit on me. Thanks for sharing the booty short love!

37. nyflygirl says:

i too have a pair of uber-short nike shorts which in warmer temps, are my go-to shorts for races and absolutely love them!! they’ve held up two years so far and hope they’ll hold up longer, but great to see other recommendations just in case…

38. eca says:

Finally…I’ve been searching all over to find some great shorts for my May half-marathon. Now it’s time to load up on a few pairs and test them out. So excited for the booty shorts!