20 turned into 16.5

This weekend I really wanted to get in a 20 miler in preparation for the LA marathon which is two weeks away. I had been pumping myself up all week because I hadn’t had a great long run in a long time. I always started feeling really tired and sluggish around mile 8 on my recent training runs, which is a problem when you are running 26.2 miles. I at least wanted to feel strong. I took a resting week of miles in preparation so I wouldn’t be tired. Finally Saturday came and rain was the in forecast. I knew if I didn’t get up early I would have to start my run in the rain which would not work well for me mentally. The weather.com hourly forecast said it was going to start raining most likely around 9 am. I knew if I got up early it would be just towards the end of my run and I would rather run 3 miles in the rain than 20.

I got up at 5:30 on Saturday morning, ate an Oh Yeah! Bar and got my stuff ready. I was going to try to eat sharkies on this run. I tried them ¬†at the Surf City Half, and really wanted to see if they would work for me. We all know I have ‘fueling’ problems :) and they worked during Surf City so I thought I would try them out on a longer run. I packed everything up and took off. I was feeling great once mile four started and I totally fell into the ‘zone.’ That can be my biggest problem, I never get into the mode where I can just keep going and it’s constantly a battle if I don’t get into the ‘zone’. I can find the zone a lot easier on the shorter runs I do, but long runs sometimes I am too all over the place and can’t relax. I actually thought about a post that I wanted to do while running called the anatomy of a long run and where my mind is during the different miles, so look for that a little later this week.

I started off with my handheld (which I will discuss soon!) and my double iFitness belt (another review coming you way, but you can see my previous review of it here), which held my iPhone in a plastic bag in case of rain, my 2 bags of sharkies and I had my garmin and iPod loaded up. The beginning was fine, I just started off and went my planned route. I had a small hill in the beginning but was feeling good. Mile 4, hit the zone no problem and was in the zone for about 4 miles. I ran through a lot of residential areas and did an out and back because I knew if I was doing loops by my house I would be tempted to stop. At mile 10 I turned around and took a little bathroom stop at mile 12. From mile 12 to 16 I started to feel really strong, but it started to sprinkle just a little bit. The entire time during my run I could look into the horizon and saw the big gray clouds up ahead of me. It was crazy how I literally felt like I was running into the storm.

The air around me was changing and I could feel the temperature dropping. I saw leaves starting to swirl in the wind and I knew the storm was quickly approaching. I have never been in weather like that before that changed so drastically so quickly. I powered up a final hill and I knew that I was feeling great and could have finished the 20 miler if it didn’t start dumping down water. All of a sudden I was running under a tree and by the time I was about to leave the cover of the branches it was POURING, and mind you this tree was not huge. I would call it ‘flash flood’ pouring. It was crazy how much water came down so quickly and accumulated everywhere. I looked around while I was under the tree and realized it would be in my best interest to call DJ and have her come get me.

Being the good roomie that she is, she came right over and picked me up on the corner. If I wasn’t feeling as good as I was, I would have not cut it short, but I also was worried about the safety of Claude the Garmin and my iPod. It was funny too because when I pulled out my phone to call her, she texted me about 2 minutes earlier, OMG! Stay Alive!! Which I realized was right when it started the downpour at our house and it took it two minutes to get to where I was, four miles away. Anyways, for the safety of electronics and my health I called it short. Last thing I need is for those to crap out right before LA. Since I felt confident in my efforts I called her. I’m a little bummed that I didn’t get in the full 20 miler, but I feel great about my training and miles. By the end of my run the only thing that was really sore were the bottoms of my feet. I think they are a still getting used to the Kswizzles, but I am happy to report that there was no blood, and only one bathroom stop. The sharkies are delicious and I am confident in taking them with me to LA. They are so good I want to pack them in my lunch!

So, it wasn’t a full 20 miler, but I am glad that I got in the miles and felt so good doing them. I was able to fall back into the zone from miles 12-16, but the sudden downpour, which, as me and DJ discussed later, happened at precisely 9 am on the nose, was a little bit too crazy for me. I’m glad I have my health, my iPod and Garmin are fully functioning and I was just missing my confidence, which was what that run made me gain back. What’s done is done, now it’s taper and race time!

Yesterday I ran a bunch of errands and then went to the gym and swam 1000 meters. I swam the last 8 laps really hard and really pushed myself and focused on my arms. I feel great today so I’m glad to know that I am still in good shape. :)

40 Responses to 20 turned into 16.5

1. Cristina says:

Ouch. Good thing you escaped the nasty weather before all hell broke loose!

2. Laura Scholz says:

Wow–that weather looks nasty! So glad you called your roomie to pick you up! That’s great that you were in the zone and had such an amazing run. We will both rock our marathons in two weeks!

3. Heather says:

wow that weather looks so scary! sorry you didn’t get the full 20 in but 16 good miles is still great!

4. Vic says:

I think you made the right decision to cut the run short. I’m glad you did so awesomely!

5. Page says:

You still kicked booty! Can’t wait to see ya in two weeks!

6. Great job on your long run! That’s insane about the weather — that’s the thing I hate about living in my area — the weather is always in the way of my running. You’ll still ROCK the marathon :)

7. Meh, don’t sweat the 20 turned 16…it’s NOT like dating, cause if it was, you might be accused of sleeping with a minor and end up in jail! =)

Seriously, you did the smart thing and didn’t get yourself sick or have Claude die on you or some other thing which would have caused major stress two weeks before LAM!

‘Cause LAM should takes precedence over all other endeavors right now. You will rock LAM! This Lam is calling it, so it will be so!

BTW, this Lam also rocked his race yesterday so I think it’s a good sign for your LAM!

YOU ROCK girlie so make it happen! Haha!

8. Elizabeth says:

Having a great long run is the best! Don’t worry about the distance–you’re tapering anyway. Good luck at the marathon.

9. Shannon says:

You def made the right decision! Can you imagine how much it would cost to replace a Garmin and an iPhone?! Ack!

10. Sam says:

Claude will survive in the rain. But you won’t survive in lightning. That was a scary-looking shot. Wind, rain, whatever … I don’t mind. But I don’t mess around with lightning. Good call cutting it short and being safe. You’ll be fine for LA. This year is different, but typically, for a goal race, 17 is what I run two weeks out. You’ll be fine.

11. eca says:

What a scary looking storm! I’m not looking forward to the storms starting soon–snow I can handle, but pouring rain and lightning is a different story.

Good to hear that the run still went well, though!

12. Alisa says:

A year ago I woulda called a ride too but if I called for a ride every time I ran in the rain or pouring rain, I’d never run =).

Glad you don’t have to deal with that too often. Way to go roomie!

You’ll be totally fine at LA, you have a good base and you have strong leggies…just stay mentally strong and you got it in the bag.

13. L.A. Daze says:

Your Garmin would have been fine :) It can withstand a torrential downpour. It can also withstand up to a meter of depth for 30 minutes. I made the mistake of wearing it during my OWS yesterday. It’s still alive and doing well because I was done with my swim in about 14 minutes, but i’m never doing that again!

14. Marlene says:

Got to love those hourly forecasts! Glad you got rescued… definitely not safe staying out there. You put in 16+ solid miles and could have obviously kept going so WAY TO GO!

15. Glad you didn’t die out there in the storm! Great job on 16.5, girl! Just go out there and kick LAM’s booty!

16. J says:

Wow – those storms that come on quick can be scary! I have gotten caught in those more than once! Great job on the 16.5 miles!

17. ilovesteaks says:

Are you sure you’re holding the bottle right? I think you should run without gadgets next time when there’s a possibility of rain. Try not to pass me too early in LA! :)

18. Joel says:

Hi, just recently I’ve stumbled on your site and I find it fun to read! I just started running a few races and you actually informed me of the OC Hope and Harmony run. Did you make the race? It was soooo wet outside!

19. Ms.V says:

Just finished my 20 miler yesterday too. LOVE taper time!

Good call on stopping the run. It sounded CRAZY…

20. Tara says:

sharkie looooovvvvvveeeeeee!!!! man they are the BEST! each time you eat one at LA just think of me cheering you on! :) nice job on getting the miles you got done before the downpour!

21. rachael says:

Can’t fight mother nature!

22. You never know what the weather will be like on race day so it’s sometimes nice to be able to run in a storm… as long as it isn’t lightning!!!

23. Kelly says:

You will totally be fine for LA!!! I’m glad you picked your life and claude’s life over four miles.

24. Morgan says:

Good call cutting the run short, that sky looks so scary! I am slowly growing accustomed to running in the rain but that sky would’ve sent me packing for sure! You have a strong base so I have no doubt you’ll do just fine for L.A. just keep that confidence and make sure you crank out your remaining runs.

25. Good decesion cutting the run short, don’t want to get sick before the big race! I can’t wait to hear more about sharkies and the handheld…I have problems properly fueling too :(

26. I’m glad your roommate came to pick you up–that weather looks and sounds nasty! I’m hoping to do a marathon sometime soon, and am looking into different fuels. I like my Bloks, don’t care for gels (I hate being a sticky mess!), and have some Sharkies that I’m going to try soon. I mean, who wouldn’t love a fuel named Sharkies?! :P

Yikes! That weather looks so scary! I’m glad you were okay!

Like i said before 16.5 is better than a wet soppy 20 any day!!

You will rock LA!!!

28. Layla says:

That’s great about finding “the zone”! But I think it was a good call to end there, since the bottoms of your feet were already tired — who knows what four miles of water would have done to them.

For what it’s worth, Claude would have been OK. I’ve taken my Garmin in the rain, sometimes without long sleeves over it, and it’s come through like a champ. One time was a 10-miler in a solid DOWNPOUR. I’m not sure about the iPod, though!

29. cyberHag says:

Yeah Momma! So glad to hear it! you are gonna rock that race. I don’t think I will be able to find you in the run crowd but I will be looking anyway. I will be behind you in the 10.5′s;-)

30. Stacey says:

Great Run!! Despite that crazy storm and I will say I would have run for cover for the safety of my electronics too! :)

Hey can you link us to these sharkies you keep talking about too?? :)

Good Luck with the LA marathon!

31. Those are some fierce looking clouds!! Good move on the whole going back home!

I think I would have totally freaked out if I were you…..mainly cause I’m terrified of lightning. Must have something to do with the time I lived in Paris and lightning struck my residence. Did I mention I lived on the top floor?!?! The earth moved, it sounded like a bomb went off, and there was a blinding flash of light!!!

Fun times in the city of lights! lol

32. Rachael says:

I need to try out those sharkies! They sound delish!

I did a 10K a few weeks ago in a downpour. The only electronic I had on me was my Garmin. I felt like I had basically dunked into a swimming pool with all my clothes and gear on and then started running … squishy shoes are a funny feeling …

33. Ann says:

I had one of those last spring. But no one to come get me. It poured so hard that I was literally running in ankle deep water for a good portion of the run. Oh, and my ipod broke. It was a shuffle but still I was totally bummed. I love running in the rain but that was just too much.

You are going to rock the marathon. No worries about cutting it short. And all of those bad long runs? Well, they will just make the marathon even better. Can’t wait to hear how you do.

34. Glenn Jones says:

At least you had a legit reason for stopping. Unlike me – I just kinda wimp out…

35. RoadBunner says:

Great job! Those clouds in that last picture look totally scary! My ipod shuffle died on me when I took it out on my pouring 13 miler the other week. It has since started working again, but it was pretty crappy when it died at mile 7 and I still had 6 more music-less miles to go.

36. Janeen says:

Yowzah! Glad you stayed safe, D. Sounds like you are ready for LA. I’m getting amped for you!

37. Felice says:

Whoa. Smart to cut it short. Glad you felt good out there!

38. Ron says:

Yeah I would have definitely done the same. A little sprinkle here and there is okay, but when it starts to get scary that means it’s pretty much time to pack it up. Good luck at LA.

39. Bonnie says:

Im terrified of lightning and so I totally think you did the right thing with those clouds!