Surf City Half Marathon Race Report

This past weekend was Surf City Half Marathon and also my friend Kristin’s Birthday! Friday night after I went to the Expo and it poured rain and they were sucking water up with vacuums, I met up with Kristin and my running twin, Aron for dinner in Huntington Beach. It was super delicious and so fun catching up with everyone and seeing everyone out of running clothes. I was so excited so many people came down for the race!

Then before I knew it, it was race morning. I didn’t take my own advice, and wasn’t prepared for the morning. I was so tired the night before I conked out pretty early and slept well through the night. I realized I had a pink long sleeve and was awoken to my alarm and immediately tensed in bed and listened for rain. There was none! I checked the weather, texted a few people and then decided that I would have to leave my warm cocoon of a bed and get ready. I had no idea what to wear or if I was going to wear my new shoes or not. Finally I opted for the long sleeve pink shirt that I had forgotten about and my Nike Booty  Shorts (to all those who ask about the shorts… there is a post coming up soon dedicated to booty shorts) I did my hair in the usual buns and got them nice and secure. I drove over to my cousins house and she drove me and her sister down there. Her sister was running the 5k. Ignore the weird smile. Thanks.

Finally she took off, and Billy and I met up after I told him about the gem of a parking spot. We got all our gear together and I decided to give my blood stained Nike’s one more spin before retiring them. They had just a few too many miles on them, so I knew after this race they would be shot. We meandered around a while and saw our friend and speed demon Charlie before the race.

Then I had to go to the bathroom SUPER bad so we went back to the port-a-potties and Billy took this horrific video of me.

Then we got locked outside the starting area and had to wait until Wave 4 to start. It took forever until we started and I tried to find Aron and Kristin, but it was so packed and we had to climb over the fence but we were still stuck in Wave 4. Here is where we are starting the race from Billy’s camera.

We started HAULING to try to find them. Mile 2 was easily in the low 7′s and we passed a few blobs of pace groups. It seemed like it was swarming with people around the pace groups so we had to run on sidewalk to go around them. We turned the corner a little after mile 2 and found them at the porta potties! I was so happy to see them! Kristin had on the cutest shirt and it got so many “Happy Birthdays!” all day and it was so fun to catch up and ease into a good pace and be relaxed.

The course is pretty flat for the most part. There are a few small hills but they are mostly in the beginning so it’s not too bad. We ran together and it was so clear out you could see all the way to the mountains and they were covered in snow. It was a great day for a race.

We all planned on wearing pink and it was so fun running with friends. I love running races like this, the miles just ticked by pretty quickly and before we knew it we were entering the area for the long out and back around mile 6.

There was some lady who was wearing pink like us and we all were talking to her. We were just enjoying each others’ company and the nice day out. We talked to a few runner’s around us and each other about running and upcoming races.

Then Billy took some fun pictures of us from the front. Yea, I  made a horrible face.

Aron and Kristin! Soooo glad they came down here to run the race! :)

Then we started on the out and back section of the race. It was a long way out. I forget how long it feels like. I started to feel a little tired so I decided to take a risk and take some sharkies. They are pretty delicious and I really liked them and they didn’t upset my stomach. Win! Here Billy snapped a great pic of me trying to shove some sharkies down my throat.

It was seriously a great day to be out running. After I ate the sharkies I started to feel a little better and knew I wouldn’t boink. Perhaps maybe next time I should eat more than a banana before a race, or at least not forget my jelly beans. I got a little bit warm in my long sleeve by the end though. The sun was out shining brightly!

Here is a video of some of the flooding that occured at mile 8. There was a median and everyone had to run on it to not go into the water.

The stretch into the finish line about mile 9. I remember this mile last year this is right around when I realized I wasn’t going to get my PR and how disappointed it felt in myself. This race was much different though because I was having so much fun talking with everyone and just cruising along and taking pictures. It’s so much different when you know it’s just for fun and you can enjoy running.

It was right around here my feet started hurting a little bit. I knew that my foot was bleeding yet again, but, surprise, surprise, it was the other foot and a completely different toe. RIP Nikes. RIP.

I also saw this, which I’ve seen before but I seriously have so much respect and this totally reminds me how lucky I truly am to run and to be able to do whatever I want. The woman on the lefts shirt says Blind Runner and the guy next to her was her ‘Guide Dog’. It’s people who get out there and just run because they love it is what keeps inspiring me.

The course is pretty and the waves and beach were nice to look at along the course for the last little section.

Here’s a video of a lot of how the course looked:

Then at mile 10 we saw this woman rubbing another woman’s butt. That was interesting. I think she had a cramp but just the way they were standing and holding each other was hilarious and I had to take a picture.

Right around mile 12 I started to feel really good and I wanted to get in a little bit more ‘hard work’ during the race so Billy and I took off in front of Aron and Kristin. I finished with a 7:40 mile and was happy that I pushed it the last mile. I finished with a time of 1:54:21 and I was glad I came in right under 2.

After Billy and I finished the race we met back up and then waited for Aron and Kristin but we never saw them again. Sad, sad, but it was great running with them and I loved catching up and being able to see them! Then we walked back down the street to meet up with my cousins to go home.

Billy and I at the finish line of the Surf City Half Marathon. Another fun race run together!

And I leave you with this gem. Oddly Enough, it was another toe on the other foot that bleed this time. Oh well, I have some new shoes to try out and they are not Nikes so we’ll see how it goes! It should either stop the bleeding or it will continue to bleed so we’ll find out. I need to retire the Nikes though and there seemed to be no better time to try out a new shoe! I am still not sold on the Surf City race but I was glad this experience was better than last year!

46 Responses to Surf City Half Marathon Race Report

1. Morgan says:

What a great recap, ya’ll seriously look like you just had such a great time! So fun to be able to run with great friends!

The blind runner is so inspiring! I am always in awe when I see something like that out on the course. During the Chicago Marathon there was a guy running with crutches!!! 26.2 on crutches!!!

And finally… your toes… they just mystify me beyond belief.

2. Vic says:

How cute are y’all in your pink? Precious. And now I want to try Sharkies… the name is just so cute, they have to be good!

Congrats on an “easy” sub-2 half… I’ll be struggling to the finish at my first half this weekend, and my ideal goal is around 2:15, so you are a rockstar in my book!

3. Marlene says:

Awesome report, as always! I love rolling over your images because you give them the funniest names – “buttcramp”, “behinds”. Yes, I am odd…

Congrats on another half, a fun race and a strong finish!

4. Woohoo for another half! :o)

And seriously a blind runner!?!? That’s crazy and so inspiring!!!

Oh and the ladies doing the butt rub thing….AHAHAHAH!!!! ROFL!

5. Heather says:

OMG the women rubbing the other woman’s butt, HILARIOUS!
    sorry about the bloody toe! Makes me sad, I love my vomeros.
    great job in the race, glad it didn’t rain!

6. Laura says:

Hey Danica,
    Regarding the Blind Runner and Guide Dog… In my running group, I actually am the guide dog for one of our blind runners. I run tethered to him on our trail runs this season. This is the second season I’ve run with him. Last season I just ran with him at the track, but this season has been the long runs and will most likely be the track too.
    We have two deaf runners in our group too.
    They are all pretty impressive going out there to run. It makes me thankful to be as blessed as I am to offer my eyes and ears to them on the trail.
    Laura

7. aron says:

so so so fun!!! I LOVE running with you :) still sad we didnt see each other at the end :(

lol the butt rubbing – i forgot about that. HILARIOUS. too bad you didn’t get a pic of the look on billys face ;)

8. Kelly says:

Sounds and looks like you had a great race and a great time! Now you don’t have feelings of hate for Surf City?! :) Great job!

9. Niki says:

Great recap!! Love all the pics and videos!!

10. Haha great post! I don’t think I’ll look as cheerful as you and your girlies when I finish my half marathon though.

11. sarah says:

Looks like a great run and beautiful day too! Glad you had a better time this year. :)

12. Billy Burger says:

Ahhh…the butt rubbing girls! Totally forgot about that. SO glad you got that pic though…hilarious.

I’m really glad everything came together for us that day. So fun running with you, Kristen and Aron.

Time to view the port-a-pottie video 30 more x’s.

13. Madison says:

Some of those pictures were too funny! Congrats on another race… and good luck with your new shoes!

14. joerunfordom says:

Danica – there is really nothing better than a “Chic Runner” race report – awesome, awesome job.

Really amazing about the blind runner and her companion – man, how inspiring.

Thanks for all you do and good luck with your switch to a new type of shoe!

Best from Austin,

Joe

15. David says:

I didn’t realize how over-excited I’d gotten about the future post you talked about in the beginning until I came crashing down when I saw the blind lady running. Not gonna lie, I teared up. Truly motivational…I wish I could show that to my friends who are perfectly able but unwilling to push themselves! I would love to be a guide…how awesome to be the one who helps another reach their goal! Great recap…makes me want to do a destination run in CA!

16. kristen says:

Awesome picutres yet again and I love the vids. I’m so glad you had such a better experince this time and it looks like you acheived your goal of having fun!!!

17. Leigh says:

Love your race recaps…you always make running a half marathon like tonnes of fun!

18. RoadBunner says:

Thanks for the fun recap!! I am glad teh weather turned in your favor. Man, your poor toes :(

19. Punk Rock Runner says:

Another awesome blog post filled with great pictures. So glad I was able to say hello (twice) on the course.

All the best,

Ron

20. ilovesteaks says:

Look at those poor marathoners running the opposite direction of the finish line! Now why wasn’t Billy wearing a pink top?

21. StephanieC says:

As always, inspirational and hilarious. Congrats on making it a fun day.

22. nicole says:

great job sweetie!!! looks like you had lots of fun! im jealous of your girlfriend run! i want to run a fun race with you like that!!! :) miss you monkey! xoxo

23. Jocelyn says:

You’re poor feet! Still seems like a fun run and a good race to just relax and enjoy friends! GREAT JOB GIRL!! I always love how you wear your hair

24. Lisa says:

I’m glad you had fun!

I think the blind runner and her guide dog were running the marathon! I saw them in the first part of my race. Amazing!

I would have fit right in with the color combo. I also had on a hot pink shirt. One of these days we will run into each other at a race. I am thinking about running LA instead of Catalina. The logistics of Catalina are daunting. Your preview has made LA look like a lot of fun.

1:54 is a GREAT time for a race that you ran just for fun. Congrats!

25. J says:

I love the videos! Looks so nice there with the palm trees and sun!! I can’t believe there was a blind runner!

26. cyberHag says:

Seriously that is freaky that your toes bleed like that. Please change shoes or go to the DR. Otherwise I am bedazzling your wheelchair now!

27. Rachael says:

I need to look into these sharkie things …

Uh, laughed so hard when you came bounding out of the bathroom!

I have that fila jacket your cousin is wearing, got it at kohls for 13 bucks, holla!

Great race report!

28. The high road: amazing recap! inspiring Danica, inspiring blind runner, way to go!

Low road: you made coming out of a portapotty look like the most fun part of the day–love it!!

29. Glenn Jones says:

Great RR Danica! I looked for you guys out on the course, but I showed up late (yup – thought I would try to sleep a little longer) so had to jump into one of the waves way way way back.

You look like you had soo much fun! What a great way to cap a beautiful day! Say though – isn’t that an orange bib?

30. Jamie says:

Glad you were able to over come “Surf Shitty” and now its “Surf City” again =)))
    I love your pics… lol so cute! Looks like you had a great time!

31. Your poor toes!
    Congratulations on another great race!

32. Jodi says:

Great race report! Glad you had a much better time this year :) Lots of fun being at the races with you, thanks for your support! xoxo

33. marsha says:

LOVED the Blind runner and guide dog!! I’ve been around blindness my whole life (both parents etc) and think it’s awesome she ran the half!
    Great recap!

34. Great recap, as always! Sorry about your toe. :( What is up with your toes anyway? Do you know why they bleed?

35. CharmCityKim says:

Yowza! That is quite a bloody toe!

As always – you make me want to run! :-) Unfortunately, the east coast has been hit with a crazy snowstorm so I’m trapped in my house.

I’ll just live vicariously through your pictures.

36. Gretchen says:

Hey! This is probably TMI, but I have the same problem with my toes bleeding sometimes (I sent you a twitter msg about pointless pedicures, if you remember!)…anyway, I’ve found that one of my toenails will cut into the side of my toe, causing the bleeding. I can typically keep things under control if I keep the nail SUPER short.

Hah, I cannot believe I just shared that, but it took me MONTHS to figure out why I was having such problems…

Good luck and enjoy your new KSWISS shoes (love them!). Hopefully the shoe change will help!

37. Tara says:

For some reason I love the pic of you trying to shove a Sharkie in your mouth! hahahaha I love the watermelon kind :) great job and cranking out another 13.1! ♥

38. Stuart says:

Your toes are just freekin weird…and that’s all I have to say!

Love the pics!

39. Becky says:

I ran the Surf City HM also this weekend, it was fun. Of course, I am not as fast as you. I came in at 2:32:44 which was a little slower for me. I am also running LA, my first full marathon. Congrats on the great finish, loved the pix and the RR. You are an inspiration.

40. Alisa says:

Looks like it was a fun race.

41. ZeroToBoston says:

Bloody toes… excellent.

- ZeroToBoston

42. Yay! Great job on another half!

Stop bleeding from the toes, woman! WTF?

♥♥♥

43. Pingback: Surf City Half Race Report « Still Running

44. OreMan says:

Nice work. Great blog. Keep up the good work you are doing!

45. brenda says:

Just wondering if you could tell me the best california (preferrably Southern Californis marathon to run. I would love to run along the ocean as much as possible.

46. Pingback: The finished new room! | Chic Runner