OC Hope and Harmony 5k and a long run

So I am excited to announce that my next and last race before the LA Marathon will be OC Hope and Harmony 5k! It takes place on February 27th and is at University of California, Irvine. I’m excited to get in some quick miles before LA and I totally believe in the cause that Beckstrand Cancer Foundation stands for. I love running smaller races and I know this race will be fun because a few girls I went to college with are running it too! If you are looking for a great race at the end of February this could be a little hidden gem and I’ll be there! You can read more about it from an article I posted to the Examiner about it here too, so you can get all the juicy details about the race. I’m excited, I haven’t ran a 5k in quite some time and I love going fast for very limited periods of time. :)

I also realized while running the Surf City Half Marathon that…maybe I do like running marathons too? I’m still thinking about this in my mind and mulling over the statement that I just threw out there. I think I’m a runner now who has started to think, we’ll might as well do the whole freakin’ thing and lets run the full, or let’s run a 5k. What has my life become. Crazy either way. We’ll see what I’m saying after LA, in.. um… yea, let’s not talk about how close that race is right now.

This past weekend I got in a 17 miler. Man, it’s been a long time since I ran that far. I figured though since I ran the half last weekend, that it was only four more miles. I can play sick mind games with myself. It was a great day out for a run and I was seemingly very inspired by watching the Olympics Friday night. I LOVE the Olympics and watch as much of them as I can. Saturday morning I was up and ready to go fairly early and did a 8 mile loop out and then passed by my house and took off on the beach path. I haven’t packed my fuel for my run and the whole ‘long run’ thing in a while. Everything seemed to go off without a hitch and I was excited to give my new K-Swiss shoes a pretty big test! Towards the end of my run I was REALLY tired and REALLY sore. It was getting warm and I forgot how it felt to be out there for so long.

Then I icebathed, napped for a little bit, showered up and prepared myself for the remainder of my day which included watching the Olympics, cleaning and preparing my picnic for Sunday! I’m such a little hopeless romantic and I made a pretty sweet picnic. It was a beautiful day on Sunday so everything was perfect for a picnic on the bluffs. After lunch somehow I ended up at a Scottish Festival at the Queen Mary, but it was such a nice day out.

Now I’m having some slight issues with my hip popping when I walk. Going to take it relatively easy this week and do some cross training and try to get it to pop back into place. What am I? 90? I think I will try to swim this week, but I’m hoping to feel better to go snowboarding again on Thursday and also I’m going to San Francisco on Friday for the weekend! I am so excited to see my friends up there.

Tomorrow, I have a guest post about running in cold weather, since there are many readers who are battling snow and slush on their running routes. Yea, today it’s suppose to be 76 here. So maybe that monthly rent is worth it :)

22 Responses to OC Hope and Harmony 5k and a long run

1. Jocelyn says:

Beckstrand Cancer Foundation is a great reason to run a 5k! good luck on it and I hope you have a lot of fun.
    Nice job on your 17 miler. I totally forgot fuel on my 12 miler yesterday was was feeling the effects of that.
    Glad you had a nice Vday :D

2. Chic Picnic!! :) Happy Belated VDay! Good luck in the 5K – can’t wait to see your fast time!

3. RunningBlonde says:

Good job on the 17 mile run, just after running your half last weekend. Yes, you are blessed to have such warm weather and so many races to participate in. The snow has been outrageous in Texas this year and has put the biggest damper on my training. Unlike most runners that just bundle up and run anyway, I have fibromyalgia and cannot tolerate the cold AT ALL, so it makes even getting out to go hit the treadmill hard. But, Spring will soon be here and we will all be running in little Danica shorts!

4. Kelly says:

Glad I will have someone with me in the old folks home.

5. aron says:

*gasp* did you just admit to liking marathons too!?!? :) well i would hope so girl, you are a maniac after all!

cant wait to see youuuuuuu <3

6. Erin says:

Honestly, you might be my hero. I just hope that someday I can say that I enjoy running (and get good enough) so much that I go out for a 17-miler one day. I am still working up to a 10-miler! Happy belated Valentine’s Day!

7. liane says:

Wow, 17 miles! that is so impressive! Someday I will get there, at this point 14 miles is the longest I’ve run!

8. eca says:

I love the mind games. Because clearly 4 more miles is nothing…

9. Heather says:

I love picnics, how fun! good job on your 17 miles. I don’t know if I will ever make it that far, I hope I can!

10. x-country2 says:

Adorable picnic. Were you dining along? ;o)

11. Sara says:

Hope your hip feels better soon… and I LOVE that little thin, wheat sandwich bread! I just had a sandwich on them for lunch :)

12. I don’t know which I like better – the zebra-print blanket or the hot pink trays!

13. Jessica says:

Have fun in the 5k!!!!

I love that sandwich bread!! Try it with sloppy joes!! It’s AMAZING!!!

14. Sarah says:

One more snowflake in the DC area and I’m moving to California…this winter is killing me. Have a great trip in SF and congrats on your 17-miler!

15. nicole says:

AHhh 76?!? I’m so jealous!!! Sounds like you had a great weekend and will be having another great weekend this weekend! JEALOUS!!! miss you!

16. Christina says:

Great job!! It snowed over 55 inches in 5 days here- no running outside for me :P

17. I’m glad to see you running a 5k and I’m looking forward to your race report. Btw, I’m incredibly jealous of your weather. UGH! Can we switch cities? I hope your hip feels better soon!

18. Glenn Jones says:

Dang! I wish I would have known about this race. It’s literally in my backyard! nstad I’ll slog across town to the Firecracker 10K in Chinatown. Sigh. I’ll have to get some dim sum afterwards.

19. Kirbey says:

Congrats on the new job! Wow, you really will be making a living doing exactly what you love!

20. Marlene says:

The way I see it, it’s okay to like marathons sometimes and not all the time. :) We runners are a crazy breed.

Great job on the long run and how cute is your picnic! (who’s the lucky guy???)

21. ilovesteaks says:

Did you have your picnic on top of your zebra snuggie? :) Does your 90 year old hip hurt? My 90 year old lower back has been killing me!

22. Tara says:

hip hip hooray for getting to spend a koo-filled weekend with you! and of course you love marathons you little maniac you! ♥♥♥