LA Marathon miles 1-6.2

I met up with my good friend Billy yesterday to finish the course preview that we’ve been working on for a while. If you missed the other parts of the course preview you can find them here. Miles 6.2 to Mile 14, Mile 14 to Mile 20, Mile 20 to Mile 26.2.

This is pretty much hands down no questions asked the hardest part of the course. There are quite a few hills and it’s pretty tiring, but it’s also still at the beginning of the course, so I realize that I would still be feeling fresh and I’d rather this more bland part of the course be at the beginning than at the end. Now that I’ve ran the whole course, I’m really looking forward to the end of the race. I know what’s coming and I’m excited to have run the course and I think it will benefit me a lot.

We started off seeing this street randomly and had to take a picture! Marathon Street right off Sunset Blvd where the marathon route goes.

The first mile is actually inside Dodger Stadium, but since the Dodgers are incredibly lame, and I look like a troublemaker, they wouldn’t let us in to take the picture or run that part of the course. Boo-hoo. Oh well,  we got kind of close, the closest I ever want to be at Dodger’s stadium.

Billy wanted to take a starting line picture and was devastated we couldn’t get into the area where the race actually started. I told him that I was not going to jail for this, so he would have to deal.

This is a hill that everyone will run up after the first mile. As I said before the area is pretty hilly. You are coming out of Dodger Stadium and run up a rather large hill then have a fairly large downhill after. I am not the biggest fan of the downhill since it hurts and there were some downhills to tackle on this section. We had gotten all the way down the downhill and Billy all of a sudden said, “Oh crap! The phones!”

He had taken our phones out and LEFT them on the transformer box back in front of the stadium. Him and I sprinted back over the hill and down the hill we just ran up only to find them perfectly fine. I about killed Billy.

Phewf. Safe and sound. Billy would have seriously died if that child was gone when we returned over the hill. Finally, we were off!

After mile 1 there wasn’t much going on the course to see. It’s an interesting area to say the least and let’s just say I’m glad that there will be huge pack running the LA Marathon during this part of the course.

There was a freeway overpass that we ran over and the snow on the mountains in the background was beautiful! I don’t know if there will be much snow come marathon day, but it was still pretty. It was pretty hot when Billy and I were running though, which was unexpected.  I was scared I was going to be cold!

After another relatively large downhill we entered the entrance to Chinatown. It was a cool little area but you don’t run through it, just past the entrance.

Then we were already at mile 3 and I decided to climb up a fire hydrant and risk my life. Another area with not much going on.

As we were running down the streets we saw that there was a catering company and with catering company trucks in LA that means FILMING! I was so excited, but the only person we saw was a Justin Gurarini look-alike and some cameras. I still got super, super excited and had to do the whole tourist thing.

I thought this sign was pretty cool, it’s a bunch of ‘sister cities’ of Los Angeles and showed how far away they are from Los Angeles.

Then, being a lame-o I had to take this picture in front of the huge, new Los Angeles Police Department building. Seeing this building also means you are starting up one of the largest and most daunting hills of the course. It’s a fairly long hill and once we got the top I was fairly winded. The top also holds a pretty cool feature of LA, the Walt Disney Concert Hall. On the way up to the top of the hill, you pass by this great lake of LA! Who knew that such a nice lake exists in Los Angeles?

Does anyone want to take a nice little dip in this beauty instead of finishing the marathon? Thought so! Keep running!

Here’s a video we took of how to text and run. :)

Here’s another video of us running up the hill and right as we are entering the Walt Disney Concert Hall area.

This is so a “I don’t even have words for this” moment. I told Billy that architecture normally doesn’t really do that much for me and I don’t notice much, but man, this building it simply amazing to look at. It is so cool to look at and I really was excited to get a more up close and personal look at it, since I’ve only seen it from the freeway since it was built.

Then mile 4 is right down the street from the concert hall. It was such a nice area once you are up that hill!

Mile 4 to Mile 5 was a whole lot of nothing as well. Just through some areas with a few more small hills. As I said before, this is the most hill-filled area of the course. Better here than at mile 20.

Finally we were approaching Sunset Blvd again and passed through Echo Park where there is actually a pretty lake in Los Angeles! It was such a nice day out, there were many people surrounding the lake and throughout Echo Park.

Somehow we lost the Mile 6 sign and so I just covered the .2 and made a little makeshift Mile 6 sign. It was at a busy intersection. It will be so different running the course without cars and being able to run in the street.

Right after the Mile 6 marker, I saw this pretty cool little fruit stand, since we were in a shady area there is no way I would be getting any fruit from this cart but I did find it to be funny and quirky so I had to take a picture.

Then we were back at the 10k mark! I was pretty happy to be done with the adventure for the day since it was pretty warm. I am ready to karate chop the LA Marathon! Though it’s by far the ‘hardest’ part of the course, I’m glad it’s in the beginning of the course and now that I’ve run the whole course I am glad that I will know what is coming with each section of the race.

Nothing like a post workout drink, like a…..

Slurpee!!! I was so thirsty and SO glad Slurpee was there to rescue me. I can’t wait to run the LA Marathon in 26 more days! I know that running the course for me was very helpful. Especially knowing what will come next and what points of the marathon I’m at and what parts I will struggle with will only be beneficial. Since this is a hill related post, check out the article I wrote about running hills on the Examiner. I love running hills and implementing them in your workouts helps out a ton when training!

Let’s do this LA Marathon! Tomorrow shall be a swell recap of my time in San Francisco!

49 Responses to LA Marathon miles 1-6.2

1. I love, love, love this post! You’re hilarious :)

2. Jocelyn says:

Glad you didn’t lose your phones! That would have been a major fail! And what do you mean you won’t go to jail for this! You should have broken in to dodgers stadium and run that baby! Great preview. LA marathon looks like a lot of fun :)

3. LawGirl says:

This was a great post, lots of interesting pictures. Props to him for catching you mid-jump!

How are you liking the K Swiss running shoes? I’m getting ready to get a new pair of running shoes and want to try out a new brand.

4. Love your race preview. I ran the LA marathon in 2004 (I think!) and it was the second hottest one ever. Not fun!

I hope you have a great race! I just found your blog…love it! Can’t wait to read more!

5. Bryan says:

Nice shoes!! Great review. Lucky on the phones!

6. The big question remains: will they have the Slurpee station open for you? And if not, could they be convinced by the photo?? (definitely yes on the latter)

7. Morgan says:

I seriously love that you did a mile by mile of the marathon course. So fun! Girl you are so ready to rock this!

8. Shannon says:

I saw that sign with all the sister cities and thought at first they were street signs – talk about feeling overwhelmed!!!

I love the little recaps of the miles!

9. andrea says:

you have a rainbow coming out of your hair!

i wish i was running this now! where do you suggest cheering for people with obnoxious signs?! :)

10. Dude, they didn’t let you in because you are an Angels fan. BARF.

Yay! Great finish to the race course preview, especially that slurpee! Whoo!

11. j says:

You are too cute for running in that headband! I love it.

12. Love this! I so want to run this someday and I’m happy that most hills are at the beginning rather than the end. That’s awesome. Are you using your iPhone for all these pics? Just curious because they look great!

13. Tara says:

1) iPhone FAIL Billy! dear lord who would leave their children on the street like that!?!
    2) There is a rainbow coming out of your head in that one picture in the park.
    3) I miss you already.

♥♥♥

14. you might be the cutest thing evah!! :)

15. You are so cute! Love the videos.

We are thinking about doing the Disneyland half marathon…have not run much since my last marathon, need to get moving again.

Thanks for the inspiration!

16. aron says:

yayyy love these posts :) you guys crack me up!

17. Kristin says:

Nice photos!!! I love all your commentary and the slurpee, yum! Can’t wait to read your SF recap :)

18. Jenny says:

You guys are funny :). I liked your marathon “series”! Can’t wait to hear about the whole thing!

19. Robyn says:

You’re gonna kick LA marathon’s booty!!

20. Marlene says:

Another great recap. I’m sure you’ll find it super beneficial to have run the entire course.

And when you get tired, just pretend your iphone is at the top of that hill!

21. Samantha says:

You are sooo cute!! I love all your posts!!

22. Heather says:

looks like a beautiful sunny day!
    I LOVE slurpees! AWESOME!

23. liane says:

For the actual race, do you think they will allow a troublemaker such as yourself into the stadium, or will they have an area set up in parking lot where troublemaking Angel fans will have to run their first portion of the marathon?

Also, I love the pink bow headband. Well, pretty much I love all the recaps :)

24. Katie A. says:

I have really really loved these posts! I wish I could do this with my next marathon! Awesome pics girly!

25. Lara says:

You’re obviously having WAY too much fun out there! Glad the phone-children were still where you left them and they hadn’t been abducted, the cute little twins…

26. Punk Rock Runner says:

Now that you’ve posted each and every mile I feel like I’ve already run the event. I guess there’s no need to actually run it anymore. Could you please mail me my medal?

Thanks D! You did an amazing job with this.

All the best,

Ron

27. carpeviam says:

Thanks for doing this! Can’t wait to run LA in a few weeks!

28. Samantha says:

Thanks for the blog comment! It made me blush :D

29. nicole says:

your a goof.

i love these posts.

i love your videos.

i love you. :)

oh and those shoes- super uber cute!!! i like your shorts too!!! lol

30. Billy Burger says:

Get it excited yo! Had a blast doing this with ya kid.

where’s our pic with Peter?

31. Billy Burger says:

why can’t I speak/write lately? fail. haha…

32. Henry says:

Not to be a hater, but that fruit stand is NOT in a shady area, nor is it a laughing matter — that fruit stand is absolutely, totally, freaking delicious. And there are several just like it in about a 1 mile radius.

(This is coming from a runner who honed his speed on those echo park hills and will be cruising through the LA marathon in a speedy 2:55! Trust me, try the fruit next time, ideally with some chili powder on top!)

33. trapper says:

Maybe L.A. should hit up it’s sisters for some much needed money….lol

Nice job covering the marathon….Did ya notice a leg rental store at the top of the hill? hehe

34. J says:

OMG you are hilarious! loved the videos – they made me giggle! It looks like a fun course except for that hill right at the beginning! What is that all about??

35. Sarah says:

love it – you are too funny! Can’t wait for the recap of the entire course! And you’re wearing different shorts this time!

36. Zoë says:

Quite a lot in the first 6.2 miles! You guys lucked out with your phones, too! 26 days and you’re going to kick LA’s arse. Woot! :)

37. Layla says:

This was so fantastic! I love the mid-air photos, and the “lake.” These posts make me want to run this race, even though I never even gave it a thought.

38. Kim says:

This is SO FUN! Even though I’m not doing it this year, I might have to do this with the Boston Marathon and then send it to my good friend that is running :) I love that you ended with a Slurpee!

39. x-country2 says:

I feel like I never need to go to LA again. I’ve seen all the good parts through you. :o)

you’re going to rock that race!

40. joerunfordom says:

Danica – your course previews are almost as good as your race reports – and that is saying something! Those hilly sections look like a tough start to the course, but I’ll tell you – it does give you a great chance to go out “slow” and not get too amped up and burn energy early.

I have a feeling come the latter portions of the course those :20 – :30 seconds you give up in the first 10K will be more than made up for at the end of the race.

Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks! Run for Dom and Chic Runner in the same place? Craziness!

Best from Austin, Joe

41. Glenn Jones says:

Thanks for the tour Danica! I am *really* happy that this part of the course is at the start! Hills and shady communities. Luckily we’ll be through this part of town long before the troublemakers are awake….

I’ll be running part of it this weekend doing the Chinatown Firecracker 10K. In fact, we get to run through Dodger Stadium, so I’ll try to snap a picture of the start line.

42. Alisa says:

I think anyone that lives in a city where there is a marathon should do one of these—a course preview from a blogger/runner perspective. This way you get the real deal on the course.

Seriously loved these recaps!

Boo to the Dodgers!

43. RoadBunner says:

I don’t know if you wrote it somewhere already, but are you planning to PR at LA? If you are, this preview will help you TONS. I was really familiar with a lot of the SFM course and that totally helped me on race day. Just mentally knowing where the tough spots are will help so much to get you through.

Thanks for doing this series! Because of you I signed up for the race and I’ll be rereading these posts before LA!

44. Pingback: Giving Out Some Awards

45. nd says:

the weather looks so nice I am totally jealous. This preview is so cute!

46. Katie says:

You totally look like Rachael Ray in that last picture! Love it.

47. I love this blog and will try to comment more.

Like others already said, I also love the hair bow/sunglasses. Your leg muscles are so ridiculous!

48. Pingback: PREVIEW-Mile 1 LA Marathon « Marathon Addicts