LA Marathon Course Preview: Miles 6.2 – 14

So we (being my friend Billy and myself) started out at the 10k mark of the LA Marathon this past weekend for our course preview of the race that is quickly approaching! If you missed the previous LA Marathon Course Previews, you can find miles 20-26.2 here and miles 14-20 here.

This was a little bit of a different area of the marathon. I think we spoiled ourselves starting backwards at the beach, and 26.2 miles away from the beach puts you in some nitty, gritty, interesting parts of town. I think the politically correct term ( and I’m NEVER politically correct ) would be ‘diverse’.

We started off at the 6.2 mile marker and it was sunny blue skies out. I was afraid of being a little cold so I wore my long sleeve lucy top and some champion spandex that I am testing out and will be posting a review on soon. Mile 6.2 is in a neighborhooded area. Slight downhill, nothing much to ‘highlight’ around these parts.

I thought I was doing so good, taking a picture of the Hollywood sign, yea, you can’t see it, but it’s there! It’s far, far back on the back mountain. This was the area we were in for a good portion of this run. Slight downhills and fairly easy terrain.

More neighborhooded areas/shops lined the street on this portion of the run. The highlight to this area was probably being whistled at by numerous people. Remind me not to wear booty shorts anymore. Billy was cracking up at me though, but I was very glad he was there with me… There isn’t much going on in this section so I took a picture of my shoes.

Sad, sad day for my pink Vomeros. Looks like I guess I needed more pink on those shoes. UGH. This will be discussed more in a post tomorrow. Now my shoes don’t say, “I’m cute and pink!” They say, “I’m a bloody mess and I maybe have lost a toe.”

For some reason I thought this painted poster on the side of a building was HILARIOUS. Billy didn’t really understand why but I HAD to have a picture by it. What is that giant monkey! For real service! I loved it.

Mile 8 of this part of the course was more of the same. Nothing too spectacular as you cruise toward the exciting part of this part of the course. We should have probably started from the beginning. That would have made this part less boring!

We ran through Thai Town, which was alright, there were some random shrines lining the sidewalks. One thing that really surprised me throughout the course today was how many people were out and about wandering the streets. Whether they were homeless, or just out shopping or cruising the town there were people EVERYWHERE!

Little did I know that we would get closer to the Hollywood sign!

So this is my new favorite picture! I am running on the Walk of Fame, which is kind of cool, right in front of the Pantages theater! I just saw “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” there and it was really cool to see it and Billy ran out into the street to take this super cool picture!

We were starting to get closer and closer to the hub of Hollywood, you could tell by all the people out and about, walking around. We were at mile 11 right before everything went crazy and we reached Grauman’s Chinese Theater and the freak show began… well I guess it started with seeing this gem:

Billy was obsessed with this building. He couldn’t stop staring at it and talking about it. He is a budding scientologist. Okay, he’s not, but it was interesting to me too, do people live in the building? So strange. I also like the sign that highlights the building on the side and all the posters covering the windows about the books out right now. Creeeeeepy! Then I made a fool of myself again via video.

Then we were surrounded by street performers, tourists and homeless people. That guy in the picture in the bottom right was painting this huge wild colored picture of a Tiger. He had a little dish out saying he needed money for Art. We continued to run along the walk of Fame and I felt bad running on people’s stars. Oh well. Billy said it wasn’t bad.

Billy catching me being a little overwhelmed again as we entered the area of Hollywood and Highland. Another big shopping/touristy/bustling area with tons of people. It was almost entertaining though, because as I ran by I think everyone was looking at us like we were freaks and I was looking at everyone else like they were freaks! I guess it was a freak fest.

I have never been to Grauman’s Chinese Theater before so that was pretty cool to see. It’s a once in your lifetime thing, I personally think. Seeing the hand prints were cool though and I wanted to put my hands in one celebs!

I chose Matt Damon! Because he’s hot! I put my feet in Will Smith’s feet and they were HUGE compared to my little baby running shoes. There were so many tourists and freaks out there. Street performers mostly, some guy dressed up as Shrek, some guy as Charlie Chaplain, some guy as spiderman. I’m just not into those things, they freak me out. Then Shrek called me beautiful. That was really cool. NOT.

I hope Mickey Mouse likes bloody shoes! There were a lot of ‘well-known’ stars in front of the theater, whereas before the theater there were ones like Liberace, and some other random names I’d never heard of. In front of the theater though there were a lot of names I’ve heard of. Including… MICHAEL JACKSON! This guy really wanted to take it to the next level and pay his respects to the King of Pop, and I snapped this little gem.

Way to pay your respects bro.. Now, pull up your pants, or get ones that fit. Ha, ha, I found it hilarious but sorry if you are now disturbed.

Then I got super freaked out by Samuel L. Jackson. I had some weird feeling it was a homeless person who would jump out at me and scare me and if there’s one thing I hate more than lettuce it’s getting scared and being jumpy. I swore this was another street performer, but luckily, Samuel never moved.

I always hear about things going on here! Now I’ve seen it! Check that one off the list!

Then we got to mile 12 and it was a pretty boring area after we left the tourist area of Hollywood Blvd.

More of the previous type street area to run through. I also noticed on this run that the streets were not as well paved. There maybe be some areas where you want to watch your footing and make sure that you pay attention to the street in front of you.

Then we were back at mile 14. Where we started last week on Sunset Blvd. Mostly, I would say a lot of the area we ran this past weekend had a night slight decline which is nice especially at that early of the marathon, when all systems are still working and not shutting down on you just yet. :)

45 Responses to LA Marathon Course Preview: Miles 6.2 – 14

1. Looks like a fun and colorful run! Thanks for taking the time to take all of those entertaining photos!

2. Sarah says:

Your run looks awesome! and I looove lucy tops! They fit great and are super cute! can’t wait to read your review!

3. Somehow I always make it to your site RIGHT as you post. Haha!

This is seriously my DREAM race. Wow… I can’t believe all the amazing sites you pass!

4. Lauren says:

Hey! I know you have probably mentioned this 3482384 times already on your blog, but what brand are your shorts? And what is the inseam length? I need to start stocking up on summer running shorts, and am really hating the Nike tempos that I’ve been running in!

5. Morgan says:

I am seriously loving your whole series of the L.A. Marathon pre-marathon! So fun! B.o.B and I are doing a 22 miler on the Gasparilla course next week and I can’t wait! Dress rehearsal anyone?!!? We will def be channeling you in spirit!

6. Vic says:

You’re so cute! You’re going to own that race!

7. Anna says:

I can’t believe you live and get to run so close to so many famous things I have only seen in movies! So….what was your favorite 10k of the race? Also, not to be creepy but are the champion shorts the ones you wore when Nike came to the running store? I think I’m thinking of doing a course review like this for a local marathon but KS is sooo boring it will be like so we passed another cow…

8. Jocelyn says:

Youre poor bloody foot! Looks like the first half of this run was pretty boring! I hate when people give cat calls! So rude! Fun to see the down town area! :)

9. Melissa says:

How fun! Super cool that you get to run through so many cool spots.

And your poor toe/shoe!!!

10. sarah says:

I love that shot of you running by Pantages Theater, so cool!!! And I was laughing reading this part of the race report. Sounds like it was quite the experience. Samuel L would have freaked me out too!

11. Jacklyn says:

This looks like such a fun race! Love the pictures. That monkey one is hilarious. I almost just spit out all my coffee. haha. Also, I share your fear of wax forms. Come on, who likes those anyway. DId you see on the Today show where Al Roker stood in a awax museum and scared people by moving? Terrifying. I own’t get within arms reach of them.

12. Kirbey says:

Where did you get that yellow top? I love it!

13. Shannon says:

Thanks for showing us around! :) That’s pretty awesome – I love seeing pictures of different places like this.

Now tell us, what on earth happened to your foot?!

14. Glenn Jones says:

This is exactly why I am running this race! What a way to see this great city of ours.

“Diverse”. I need to remember that PC term. It will all be cool as long as we don’t have another Rodney King just before the race….

15. joerunfordom says:

Danica – love your race course previews! Great stuff. I think LA in 2011 is going to move from pencil to ink on my race calendar for next year.

Trip out in March is set for the 8th and 9th to LA – I’ll be in touch soon!

Best, Joe

16. J says:

Looking good girl!! Love the course preview! Wish i was in cali!

17. aron says:

omg that is the BEST pic of you running on the stars :) LOVE it!

18. RoadBunner says:

So I’m glad to hear this course isn’t TOTALLY wonderful all 26.2 miles because now I don’t feel so bad I haven’t signed up yet! Kidding, kidding…

First off, I said it on FB, but I LOVE That photo of you and the Stomp! Totally awesome.

You and Billy should get some sort of VIP treatment or free entry to LA because you’re making me want to run this race! I’ve never really been to LA (just Anaheim, really) and I’d love to play tourist while I run. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen the Hollywood sign.

Still working on logistics but I want to sign up!!

19. Nikki says:

“I felt bad running on people’s stars.” Hilarious! That reminds me of “don’t step on the crack or you’ll break your mother’s back.” That being said, I LOVE the picture of you running on stars and when we’re there next week we may have to go there just to copy you. Just so you know.

Oh and the Michael Jackson “tribute?” Literally made me spit my apple at my computer. Oops :)

20. Of all the hats they could have given Samuel L. Jackson–that one!! I would have been just as freaked.

Such a fun way to get your running in… Most jealous!

21. Marlene says:

Once again, your course preview post & pics are awesome and hilarious. Looks like a cool place to run, even with all the freaks. :)

I hope your toes are okay, girl!

22. Heather says:

How cool to get to run by all that fun hollywood stuff! How NOT cool about the butt crack. ggrroosss! I am loving the mickey mouse pic. He is my hero!

23. cyberHag says:

Nice shots! On more block on Hollywood Blvd and you would have hit my gym- La Fitness! It is right after the Orange Ave turn off.

24. nicole says:

your hilarous.

sam scares me too. those wax people are SO creepy. Seriously! gahhh i’m freaked out by looking at it!

take care of your toes sis!! love you!!!

p.s. i love the yellow top..sexy!

25. KatieA. says:

Hilarious! Great preview…again, sadly, I wish I was running it with you :)

26. ShutupandRun says:

Course looks nice; sorry about the bloody shoe. And nice crack!

27. Billy Burger says:

I need to work on my Sam Jackson.

Hehe…good times as always kid. One measly 10K to go!!!

28. Sydney Hunter says:

CUTE TOP!!!! I love that yellow! Good color on you. I like this post!!!! :)

29. Alisa says:

Awesome tour of the marathon course and of touristy hollywood.

I totally agree with the comments about the yellow top–LOVE IT.

30. Jack Rosenfeld says:

That photo of you running in front of the Pantages is an amazing photo. Great shot.

Thanks for documenting the course for all of us.

31. I love your outfit and your photos–they are super cute! And I hope your foot/toes/shoes are okay… That picture looked kind of scary.

32. Wendy says:

I am loving your LA Marathon installments! I’ll be running LA next month and it’s so much fun to see the route with you and your friend. Too funny! The marathon organizers should see this and hire you to help publicize the event!

33. Sheridan says:

thanks for this detailed preview of the course! you are going to own it. I am running it and it will be my first marathon so I love reading all your posts. by the way I will be the one who finished dead last but I will finish!

34. carpeviam says:

You have me so excited to run this marathon. Thank you for the photos!

35. Love you so very much friend! I love your previews of the LA Marathon – it looks like you had a great time. Sorry I have been a bad reader lately :/

36. liane says:

I loved the picture of you running in front of the Pantages theater.
    That I think it’s awesome that you did the run in stages and got to to stop and check the sights out before hand. If I ran that marathon without a pre-visit, I’d have the worst time ever as I’d be stopping and gawking at the sights.
    What am I saying? I’d have a slow time whatever the situation in a marathon ;)

37. Zoe says:

Ohmygosh, I’m dying laughing about the wax figure of “Sam.” And Billy’s voice.

Hilarious!

Seriously, Danica…you need to tape those little piggies of yours! What’s up? And you can totally rock those Champion booty shorts too. I got a pair from them and I’m not sure if I can pull them off like you can…

38. Stuart says:

You guys crack me up! Fancy being scared of lettuce!

39. The previews have been awesome! Almost makes me want to run there -except maybe for the sketchy parts. But down by the ocean definitely!!!

PS: where did you buy your shirt?

40. Jon Holmes says:

Thanks for that. Very interesting. Coming over from Tokyo to run my first Marathon in 20 years!Should be `fun`. Good luck with your own race.

41. Bert says:

Excellent tour of the LA Marathon course, so entertaining. Even the written stuff. The pic of the plumber paying homage to Michael Jackson cracked me up.

42. Pingback: Lucy Review | Chic Runner

43. Very cool post lady! I LOVE that picture of you in front of the Pantages.

44. Jamie says:

Scientology isn’t fake. Their craziness is 100% real.

:-)