Goals for Surf City

So last year we all may or may not remember my wonderful race I had at Surf City, or what I lovingly refer to as Surf Shitty. I had a horrible race and was really upset with myself for a long time after that. I was on a PR mad streak before that race and I wanted to PR at Surf City. Looking back I realized that I was dumb and that wasn’t very ‘me’. Looking back always makes you realize that it wasn’t THAT important and that you will get another chance at things. Though I still have yet to break my PR in the half, the remainder of my year last year was taken up with marathons… and will someone remind me how THAT happened? Back to Surf City, I always talk about how  time is not important to me (relatively speaking) and at last year’s Surf City race, I, just like so many, got way too caught up in times and pr’s and the pressure of it all and cracked when I didn’t hit my goal time. My time goal for that race was anything under 1:46:00. That could mean 1:45:59 or 1:45:45, but what did I end up with? 1:46:00. Literally :00. Wow.

Earlier this year I plotted revenge on the course and started training pretty hardcore to smash my PR. Alas, it rained for what seemed like 200 days, errr seven, and also I have begun training for the LA Marathon. So PR plan went right out the window and  I’m at peace with that. Then my friend and running twin, Aron, told me she was running the race and a bunch of my other friends are coming down for the race  and we could run it the same way we ran San Fran last year, which was one of my FAVORITE races just because I ran it with so many great friends. Sniff, Sniff, getting emotional here. I love all my girls in San Fran and miss them a lot and having Kristen and Aron here this weekend will be a blast! I’m super excited to enjoy the run and just go out and cruise and piddle fart around on the course taking pictures and stupid videos. We still have a time goal of sub-2, which should be attainable, but I know this race will get me amp’ed up for the LA Marathon and I’m excited to go out and just enjoy myself, run and smile.

This time the race will not consist of me hating the entire race, scowling at everyone around me, being a giant grump and so obsessed with my time that I can’t even function but it will be different. It will consist of me wearing my beloved monkey buns with big bows, my favorite color to run in, pink, and being surrounded by some of my favorite people while laughing and having a great time. Which is what racing should be. Also, the weather heard my complaining earlier in the week and I am crossing my fingers the storm travels on the path as planned and will be gone by Sunday morning!

With only 10% of precipitation chance, that is looking much better. We wouldn’t want any of my witchiness to melt while running now would we? Now storm just stay on course and get out of town by Sunday and everything will be wonderful! Then we have Super bowl, where I don’t really care who wins, but I am partial to both Manning brothers, and since my boy Eli won it in 2008, it’d be cool to see Payton win it this year. Then again, I love Reggie Bush and would love to see the Saints win it for New Orleans. Here’s why I love Reggie, and this is the most ‘girl in sports’ reasoning. I love the show Keeping up with the Kardashians, therefore, I love Kim Kardashian, therefore, I was devastated when she and Reggie broke up, and am so happy they are back together, thus, I love Reggie and hope he wins the Super Bowl. Also, he went to USC and that is my fave college team. I know, too many weird connections. Most of all I just hope it’s a good game!

Last night I got in a good 3.5 miler and also ran in different Saucony shoes (sorry I don’t remember the make, but I wanted to try the Ride2’s and they had none) that I tried at the local running store trial night. I’ll have a post up next week about them on the Examiner site, but THERE WAS NO BLOOD. So, I am leaning towards getting new shoes but it’s just a very hard decision.

So cheers to friends, a fun weekend, running a half marathon for fun and a great football game!

P.S. If you are in the Long Beach area next weekend be sure to check out this Valentine’s Day 5k! I’m considering running it. Check it out Here!

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

35 Comments

• Reply Billy Burger

Sweetness! I too am happy for no rain in the forecast. And I too will be running this for fun (w/ a sub-2 in mind…gotta maintain SOME respectability).

Hope we both have a kickass weekend – see ya Sunday Danica!

February 5, 2010 at 8:04 am
  • Reply aron

we are going to have a blast!!! i cant wait to run with you again – hey maybe billy will even join us again too!!! see you SOON!

February 5, 2010 at 8:07 am
  • Reply TorontoGirloutWest

Sounds like a great attitude – have a blast!!!!

February 5, 2010 at 8:18 am
  • Reply Robyn @wannabewriterrunner

Good luck, can’t wait to hear all about it!!

February 5, 2010 at 8:23 am
  • Reply Lisa

Have a fantastic time on Sunday! I am glad you posted this… I am going to try not to obsess about my time and quest for the sub-four marathon and have a good time.

I’ll look for you guys to say hi.

Good luck!

February 5, 2010 at 8:33 am
  • Reply Jocelyn

Good luck and have fun at surf city! I’m sure it will a lot of fun! :D I’m for the Saints because they haven’t own a super bowl (and I work in sports. If they win we would get better sales).

February 5, 2010 at 8:34 am
  • Reply J

Running races with good friends really is the best! I hope you have a great race and enjoy every mile!!

February 5, 2010 at 8:50 am
  • Reply Marlene

I’ll bet the Saucony peeps would have been surprised if you returned with bloody shoes. :)

Have fun this weekend!

February 5, 2010 at 8:52 am
  • Reply Madeline

It’s awesome that you’re really evaluating the approach you take to each race and can change your priorities from timing to fun.
    And in terms of weather…the hour-by-hour chart for my local weather has a snow icon from 3pm today until 5pm tomorrow. I’m currently stocking up on new dvds.
    Quick question, though. Do you shop at a runner-specific store, or do you feel like a sports authority or dick’s sporting goods does the job as long as you feel good in the shoes?

February 5, 2010 at 9:00 am
  • Reply Morgan

Have a blast this weekend, live it up with the girls and lets see some genuine Chic Runner smiles at the finish line!!! No Surf Shitty this year! :) LOL!

February 5, 2010 at 9:04 am
  • Reply Kelly

Enjoy your race on Sunday, and YES, just have fun!!!! Can’t wait to hear all about it! And Go SAINTS! :)

February 5, 2010 at 9:06 am
  • Reply Laura

Hey Danica!
    I saw your tweet about the new shoes. I tweeted back but 140 characters isn’t enough to tell you how much I LOVE the Saucony Rides. I’ve been running in them for 3+ years now and won’t run in anything else. First of all, I have HUGE feet… yes, huge… a size 11!!! And my toes are the biggest part. They are really long so the wide toe-box on the Saucony’s really works for me. Knock on wood – I’ve never had a blister, lost a toe nail or have any other issues with these shoes – again, KNOCK ON WOOD!! But like I said, I can’t say enough good things. I’ve run in the Rides and the Ride2s and they are both great shoes. I highly recommend you give them a try for a while. :)
    Laura

February 5, 2010 at 9:09 am
  • Reply Amy

Good luck this weekend and have fun!!!

And P.S. if it does rain make sure you wear form fitting clothes (I’ve ran my share of races in the rain. Including a full marathon, which I PRed in).

Crossing my fingers for a dry race for you though! :)

February 5, 2010 at 9:11 am
  • Reply Heather

GO SAINTS! I am from the New Orleans area and I am UBER excited about the game Sunday!

February 5, 2010 at 9:28 am
  • Reply sarah

Have a great run this weekend! I hope the rain stays away! :)

February 5, 2010 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Jenny

Those sound like great goals for Surf City!! Take time to enjoy yourself, can’t wait for your report!

February 5, 2010 at 11:28 am
  • Reply Steel Springs

Have a great time this weekend! It sounds like you’re planning to have a blast. I hope the rain stays away!

February 5, 2010 at 12:12 pm
  • Reply diana

You are going to have a fantastic weekend. I would like to see Payton win, he is just so goofy you gotta like him:)

February 5, 2010 at 12:14 pm
  • Reply Ms.V

HAHA I look forward to another Monkey Buns post. Remember how much fun you had at SF…it’s awesome you’re going for that!

Have fun!

February 5, 2010 at 1:15 pm
  • Reply Jodi

Ewwww I cannot believe you posted that awful picture of us! Well, awful of me anyway. For the love of God take it down ha ha ha

Or at least promise to take one with me this Sunday and post it on your race recap :D

February 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm
  • Reply Tara

waaahhhhhh I will miss seeing your face this weekend lover! have a great time and I can’t wait to hear all about it! ♥

February 5, 2010 at 2:15 pm
  • Reply Jacklyn

Have fun, kick some ass and have a great race :)

February 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm
  • Reply rinus

Goodluck whit the half marathon and have fun!.
    Rinus.

February 5, 2010 at 4:05 pm
  • Reply Carla

You’re complaining of rain? DC NEVER gets snow, I’m training for a half marathon in March, and so far we’re in the third snow storm this winter, now waiting for 20-30″ to snow on us overnight :(

It’s really really hard to run when it’s snowing (I end up going much slower to avoid slipping…), but even worse to run in the un-plowed trails after they ice over…

And to think I use to complain about rain too!

February 5, 2010 at 4:58 pm
  • Reply acokertx

Have a great race, will look forward to your race recap. Am hoping to run Surf City sometime, the medals are awesome!

February 5, 2010 at 6:05 pm
  • Reply Patricia (Run Foodie Run)

Awesome run! Oh how I wish I had the weather you have for Boston training! :P I miss California sooo much! I’m from the SF Bay Area and love the weather up there, perfect for running! Good luck with training! :)

February 5, 2010 at 7:08 pm
  • Reply Nicole

kick butt this weekend sweetie! mostly just have fun! wish i could be there running and having fun with you!!! miss you koozie kooo!!

February 5, 2010 at 7:59 pm
  • Reply Tiffany

Yay!! Have a great weekend! No rain, fun, football…sounds great!!

February 6, 2010 at 8:17 am
  • Reply Kerrie @ Mom vs. Marathon

Good luck!

PS: I’ll be interested to see what you think of the Sauconys. I just got some Hurricane11s. The jury’s still out, though.

February 6, 2010 at 9:26 am
  • Reply Jen (reluctntrunner)

Good plan! In my book, even your ‘goofing around’ time is fast! Have fun with your friends and take lots of pics for us to see!

February 6, 2010 at 9:38 am
  • Reply Stuart

Fingers crossed on the rain…I am three cities up in Redondo Sunday morning!

Have a “Super Surf” this year!

February 6, 2010 at 10:25 am
  • Reply RoadBunner

Have a great time this weekend!! Sounds like there is no way you can’t :)

February 6, 2010 at 5:36 pm
  • Reply Felice

Good luck and have lots and lots of fun!!

February 6, 2010 at 7:34 pm
  • Reply Mike

Good luck and I hope to see you out there. I’m so glad there’s no rain! I’m definitely going to celebrate with a beer at the tent! Mmmm, low cal beer.

February 7, 2010 at 6:56 am
  • Reply joerunfordom

Back to the scene of the crime Danica! Good for you. Looks like the weather is cooperating – can’t wait for the race report.

Kick some assphalt out there.

Best from Austin!