Saying good bye to a friend.

Today my mood matches the dreary gray skies that have taken over California for the past few days. Last night my brother told me that my dog that I’ve had from 5th grade on, Cody, has cancer and has to be put to sleep. I’m very sad because he was a part of our family for so long. I also am sad becuase I think it’s one of the things I realized it would be really hard to say good bye too because he loved my Mom so much. He was her dog and they had a very special relationship. I knew this day would come but I also didn’t think that it would be so hard. I know all dogs go to Heaven though and I’m glad he won’t have to suffer while having cancer. I’ll miss you little buddy.

Trying to take a Christmas card picture with two dogs? Now that’s a challenge. He is a Shetland sheepdog and we got him at the pound when he was only one. He lived a good life and I’m glad he was a part of my life.

Hopefully next week the skies will clear and the sun will come back.

64 Responses to Saying good bye to a friend.

1. Kelly says:

I’m so sorry friend. Losing a pet is really hard. :(

2. Anna says:

Sorry about your loss! It is good to know that she won’t suffer though!

3. Shannon says:

Aw, I’m sorry! We had to put one of our dogs to sleep this past summer and it was so hard. I still miss him! But, I say a little prayer for him each night and hope that him and my Grammy are up in Heaven playing ball together. *hugs*

4. Jaime says:

I’m so sorry to hear about Cody. Pets really are a part of our families and it’s so difficult to deal with a loss of a family member. :(

5. Tara says:

I’m SO sorry :( My family has has to put seevral dogs down and it’s always such a hard thing to do. Cody lived a good life and will be going to a better place where he won’t suffer ♥ you!

6. Vic says:

I’m glad he had a good long life with you and your family. He will watch over you always :)

7. Amy says:

:( I’m sorry.

8. Julia says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your beloved puppy (they are ALWAYS puppies aren’t they?) I recently lost a pet too, and it was devastating. But as my mom says, he’s going to turn into a star who’s going to be your protector :)

9. Chrissy says:

I’m so sorry. Dogs are great friends and true companions. I know the day mine moves on will be one of the hardest I ever face. I’m thinking of you and of Cody today!

10. David says:

I know words can’t truly express the loss, but you’ve got 30-40 people (commenters) who are here for ya each day to get ya through it! Plus you’ve got cute pictures of the little guy that will help put a smile on your face and remind you of the great memories! Take care.

11. Jocelyn says:

So sorry to hear about this. Parting with a pet is never easy :(

12. Morgan says:

Sorry darling! Try to think about all the happy years you had with him and that he will no longer be in pain.

13. Mrs. D says:

So sorry for your loss! ((hugs))

14. Kate says:

I’m so, so sorry to hear about Cody… we had to put our dear Cassie to sleep 3 years ago after 15 years with us and it was one of the hardest things we’ve ever done. But you’re right – all dogs do go to heaven! I hope you have a relaxing and restorative weekend!

15. Lauren says:

I’m sorry Danica. Your mom will have a new buddy today and you have 2 angels looking over you now :)

16. Ally says:

I’m so, so sorry. We had to put our sweet sheltie to sleep last year (around this time, actually) and I know how hard it is. I’m so sorry. Sending hugs your way!

17. Erin F. says:

Ooohhh what a sweetheart he is, dogs are seriously the best. I’m so sorry, girl. But you’re right, all dogs DO go to heaven!

18. I was so sorry to hear about Cody. We had a shelty growing up. They are wonderful, loving dogs. Our shelty was named Tucker and he used to try to herd us when we were in the pool — he’d run around the pool as we swam, barking at us. And, he’d try to herd us when we were on our bikes, too!

Now we have boxers. In October, we lost AJ. He was only six and it turned out he had a heart condition. Unfortunately or fortunately (depends on how you look at it), he passed away in my arms. He was my dog. A mamma’s boy. His passing happened so quickly, I didn’t feel like I had a real chance to say goodbye. I still have not gotten over it. I’m glad your mom will be able to say goodbye, and be able to remember Cody in good health.

If you can’t tell, I’m a total dog person. I wonder if they know how much they mean to us…

19. Denise says:

I’ve been dealing with a sick cat for over a week and last week we thought it might be close to that time. Thankfully things are turning around. I know exactly what you’re going through. I’ve been a mess for days. hang in there and I’m sorry about your loss. :-(

20. Monica C. says:

I am so sorry. 2 1/2 years ago, I had to put my dog, Peace, to sleep. I’d had him for 15 years. I know it was for the best and he is in a better place, but I am still not over it. You’re in my prayers!

21. Sarah says:

So sorry to hear this. Sending hugs and thoughts your way.

22. Marlene says:

Oh no, I’m so sorry. :(

23. Nikki says:

Awww I’m so sorry :( Losing a childhood pet is SO hard. I lost my 18 year old cat about 2 years ago and I still miss her when I go home. I know Cody’s with your Mom now though and they’re happily playing together!

24. Kelly says:

Sorry to hear that :( At least he won’t have to suffer…and you WILL see him again! :) Prayers for you and your family.

25. aron says:

lots of love to you <3

26. Heather says:

I’m sorry to hear about your dog. In OCtober my parent shad to put down the cat I got in 5th grade, she was my cat and it was so sad.
    I was just telling a friend I wish animals lived longer like people do!

27. jamie says:

Cody’s such a pretty boy! Just be thankful you got to spend so many years w/ him. Your family made him a happy pup! =) I don’t know what I will do when my furbabies get old! Scares me =( Just have to love them as much as you can while they are here. They make life better!

28. Sydney Hunter says:

Sorry to hear about your dog. :( I love my dog like he is a human so I understand how you feel. Dogs are the best…think about all the good memories you have with him. The sun is coming out so hopefully that will “brighten” your day. ;)

29. KatieA. says:

I’m actually crying at my desk right now for you. I am soooo sorry for your loss, it is so hard to deal with a pet’s loss, and each time I do I tell myself I never want to feel like this again! Then we go and rescue another one :) I think the skys are going to clear soon, and you can believe that Cody isn’t suffering any more. Huggs to you my friend <3

30. Alex says:

I am so sorry. I would be devastated if that was Finley, so I know how you feel. Cheer up, my friend.

31. Alisa says:

So sad! My thoughts are with you.

32. Melissa says:

Much love to you and Cody. It sounds like he had a great life and a loving family. I hope the days get easier for you.

33. Felice says:

Serious, big time HUGS. That is really, really hard.

34. Emily says:

My thoughts are with you!

35. Oh hon.. I’m so sorry. We lost our family dog a year ago and it is so hard.. Thinking of you…

36. Zoë says:

Hi Danica. So sorry to hear about your doggie. But, it’s great to think that your Mom will have more company.

Hugs.
    Z

37. sara says:

so sorry to hear about this, Danica. i know how tough it is to lose a member of your family :( i hope Cody and your mom are having fun in heaven.

38. Heather says:

I so sorry to hear that. I too have to put my dog down. We are going this weekend to see if we can get more pain pills for him so he can pass at home instead of being stressed out at the vet.

Its horrible.

39. Pam says:

Sorry to hear about your dog. My mom’s dog (origanlly mine but she stole him) will probably not make it through the winter with all his aliments and we will probably have to put him down. Always hard. My mom’s yorkie was my first dog. he is going to be 17 years old in March so it is not like he hasn’t had a great dog life. Always hard since they are one of the family. I am sure he will be keeping your mom company :)

40. I am so sorry to hear about Cody! My older sister had to put one of her dogs down a few months ago…never an easy thing.

41. Madison says:

Hang in there Danica! He is beautiful.

42. RoadBunner says:

I am really sorry, Danica. I think you hit it on the nose, though… He had an awesome, lucky life and is probably kicking it with your mom right now.

((hugs)) Feel better soon.

43. Rick F. says:

Danica,
    My sympathies for your loss. I know that your memories will help you heavy heart. Losing a pet is the same as a loved one, they are part of the family.. Take care Rick

44. kristen says:

I’m sorry girl. He’s probably just loving all over your mom now :)! Keep your head up.

45. Janese says:

So sorry :(

*hugs*

46. Megan says:

So sorry, Danica! We’ve had to put two dogs to sleep and it really is like losing a family member. I will be praying for comfort for you!

47. I’m honestly heartbroken for you Danica. :o( Now that I have Daisy I can totally understand how you must feel. It’s a cruel irony that dogs have such a short life span relative to humans.

I’ll be praying for you and your doggy!

48. Niki says:

Oh girl, I’m so sorry! I know how tough it is to lose a pet. I know for me it truly was like losing a member of the family. My thoughts are with you!

49. Danica – I am so sorry to hear about your loss. The day we had to put our oldest of two Schipperkees down a few years ago was a dark, dark day. She was 17 at the time, had lived a long happy life and it was time, but it was still very, very hard.

After a few months I found myself remembering the great times we had far more than the sadness at the end. Today when I think of her – all I do is smile … she was the greatest little gift and I am so happy she was in my life.

Take care Danica – wishing you the best from here in TX.

Joe

50. CJ says:

I’m so sorry that you are losing such a wonderful family member. My heart goes out to you.

CJ