Miles 14 through 20 of the LA Marathon!

So this tour through the streets of LA for the LA Marathon course preview might as well be called the Billy and Danica show it seems. If you missed last weekend’s tour of miles 20-26.2, check it out! Billy’s report is also a little bit more technical, and you can find it here as well. It’s pretty hilarious to see us running around town and though many of you may not believe this, I NEVER go to LA, like, never, ever. The traffic to get up there is usually horrendous so I don’t even deal with it. After this run though I’m starting to want to venture out to try out some new fun places up there! Since I never travel up there, seeing the sites for me is like almost being a tourist up there! It get so excited to see everything and I’m sure Billy is almost tired of me saying, “Oh, that’s where it is!” It’s funny because I always hear about stuff on the news or hear about concerts going on, but I have no idea where in LA things are. Welp, here we are at mile 14 ready to start our journey to mile 20 again!

The day started out great, it was warm, the sun was out and it looks like Billy was ready to race? After loading up all our stuff we were ready to take off. Many asked how we got our mile number signs last time, well Billy wears a backpack while running and he carries all our crap, which includes mile marker signs, water bottle, camera and my child, the iPhone. THANK YOU SHERPA!!!!

Claude seemed to be a little nervous and it took him a really long time to figure out what was going on! Poor little guy couldn’t find satellite for the life of him! Finally he found it and we took off down Sunset Blvd!

Starting out at Mile 14 on the Sunset Strip. There is a lot going on down this street, including many intimate venues for concerts and bars and well known ‘places’ where celebs hang out. Tons of stores, eclectic places to hang out, and people watching to be had. All I wanted to see was a celebrity and I didn’t see one the entire day! Unlike last week when I saw Tim Robbins on a bike while I was riding around wearing a tutu.

This is in front of the Whiskey a Go-Go. It’s a pretty cool bar and they have a lot of cool shows there. I’ve never been inside but I’ve heard about it a lot and a lot of people play there, seemed cool.

The Troubadour also has a lot of smaller shows and seems like it’s a fun venue. From the like three concerts I’ve ever been to in my life, I really enjoyed the smaller shows. Perhaps one of these days I’ll make up there for a concert.

At mile 14.5 there is a pretty steady downhill as you can tell. It is nice because most of the streets are very wide and seem to be able to take on a large crowd of people, perfect for the marathon route.

I love the signs in Beverly Hills. Everything seems so nice and uppity. I definitely don’t belong there! There were again, like last week’s route, tons of really nice houses, and lots of cool sidewalks to run on and a grassy median in the center of the street. We veered to the sidewalks though because I don’t like the grass, Billy complained.

Mile 15 was at Santa Monica Blvd and all I could think of was that one song that goes, “When the sun comes up over Santa Monica Blvd…” The sun was just coming up over the buildings and it was a nice area to be running in. We stayed mostly on the sidewalks at this part too.

Then we entered the area that was mostly residential again. Not the most exciting area, but it was alright and I knew that Rodeo Drive was coming up and I was excited to run down that!

We passed in front of a huge, very nice fire station, this art sculpture looking thing, the Beverly Hills Courthouse and then we were at mile 16. As you can tell the clouds were moving in but it was still fairly warm out. We were getting close to Rodeo Drive!

Billy caught me looking up and down the street at all the expensive stores that line Rodeo Drive. It’s crazy how many stores are down there and how nice everything looks. So different and I couldn’t believe I was running down Rodeo Drive looking like a little bum. I do think the oversized sunglasses helped though!

Me trying to look everywhere to see everything and take in as much as I could while running. There was Hermes, Jimmy Choo, Versace, Chanel, Harry Winston, Cartier, everything you see in all those fashion magazines. It reminded me how poor I am.

Those huge Chanel Bags. AHHHHHH. The window displays we ran by were even crazy! It was so fun to see everything though, and Billy and I ran slow so we could look at everything around us.

Yup, who would have ever guessed I would be running down Rodeo drive, and not because I  stole something?! There were so many great things to keep us looking in every direction.

There was a little trolley sitting on one of the side streets so we took a picture by it. I thought it was so cute that it said Deck the Hills! Oh Beverly Hills, you are a place all of your own.

There’s the little mini side street where only people can walk and we decided to walk through it just for fun, it’s really short. There are the high-high name stores on this street and just looking in the windows was crazy. They had guards at the doors and it seemed insane that people could actually buy things from these stores.

Trying to take a double picture to capture both of us on the little mini side street. It’s like another world in there. You can see the Tiffany and Co. guard in the background.

um… OBVIOUSLY this was a must have picture, minus the fact that I’m not dressed cute, but oh well. T&Co. :) <3 By the time we drove by later the big doors were open!

Mile 17 is actually right after Rodeo Drive just a bit but you are still in an area surrounded by some really nice stores. Obviously, you can see the Neiman Marcus behind me. There was a Saks and some other stores too that were bigger than the stores on Rodeo.

Then, as we went on Sunday, the Golden Globes were being held! I thought for sure this would equal some celebs, but alas they were not out yet! This is the police and security setting up for the award show. We weren’t allowed to run down this street, Billy even asked, but it was cool to see all the news trucks and people getting ready.

Then we ran down and found out that we were right on target! This was the first time we’ve ever seen these mile markers and I got so excited to see them! Mile 18 is in front of a big shopping area with a restaurant called Pink Taco and Gulf Stream and a few others. I have never been there but it looks like a fun place to go. There is a slight uphill right around mile 18 as well. Along the course, this is the biggest uphill I’ve seen thus far.

Billy and I were starting to get hungry AGAIN… so therefore we contemplated getting fries from an upcoming McDonalds for about five minutes, we went back and forth on it for some time, actually. We opted to pass the McDonalds though. Then we talked about the Chicken Sandwiches and decided that after our run we were getting food because we were both starving. We also realized along our route we ran, we passed by a total of three Subways. Weird, but true fact.

Mile 19 and at this point I was thinking, YAY! one more mile to mile 20! It’s a fairly flat area and there isn’t too much exciting going on the course at this point. Just a commercialish with some apartments and random stores on the side of the road.

Finally mile 20! Our starting point last week. It was starting to get cold at this point and the storm that is coming in and suppose to stay all week seemed to be arriving. I’m glad we got our miles in before I was freezing and stuck in the middle of LA in pouring rain and booty shorts.

It took us so long to take this picture because we had to run into the middle of the street and there were cars driving by. Then it didn’t even turn out right. Oh well!

The food pains in my stomach made me turn angry!

Finally we went to Dupars, this delicious place at the Grove. Shocker, I’ve never been there either. Well this place has incredible pancakes and I got some chicken strips too! They were SO good. Chicken strips are my favorite and I basically get them everywhere I go. Another great course route preview with great weather! By the time we left Dupars it was just starting to sprinkle so I had to make the drive home in the rain. Luckily, I got home safe and changed into my sweats and just to show you that not everything in CA is always sunny, here is the weather forecast this week.

So looks like we got the course done just in time for the torrential downpour! Stay tuned for the next preview Miles 8-14 that hopefully might take place next weekend pending rain and scheduling. So far though, the course is fairly flat with a few small uphills and some decent downhills. I am excited to run it come race day! Hope you enjoyed it!

44 Responses to Miles 14 through 20 of the LA Marathon!

1. LOVE the pics – especially the jumping one! Also, RODEO DRIVE?! Gosh I want to visit so bad. All I can thinking about is Pretty Woman!

2. Girl, your legs are SICK. I hate you! Just kidding of course! Love the photos. That food looks TDF.

3. Marlene says:

Ahhh, lifestyles of the rich and famous….

Looks like you two were having a hoot, as always. Looks like a beautiful route!

4. Madeline says:

i WISH that the weather where i am looked like that! in PA this week, the high is 48 and then its supposed to rain and snow. boo. luckily i applied to UCLA for grad school, so maybe that will come through. how are your applications going? all my deadlines (for english lit) were in december.

5. What a lovely posh route! Don’t know what I love more–the location or the after-run food….

6. x-country2 says:

Looks like a fun day.

7. Jocelyn says:

What a fun second of town to run through! Kind of makes me want to run the LA Marathon!

8. Brandi says:

What a fun race this is going to be! Amazing to see all things Beverly Hills! I’ve never been to Cali and you read about all the cool/hip places around there and to see you running by them is awesome!

9. Kristy says:

Don’t know if you ever venture over the Orange Curtain, but there is a Gulfstream in Corona del Mar as well where celebrities are frequently seen…mostly sports celebs though, I’ve seen Garrett Anderson and Torii Hunter there…

10. Billy Burger says:

This course is gonna kick ass people!

Great times as always lil caucasian sista.

11. Kelly says:

Looks like it’s going to be an awesome race!

12. Morgan says:

Seriously this looks like ya’ll had so much fun! B.o.B and I are doing a run of part of the Gasparilla course in a couple weeks and I can’t wait. There’s a very long windy stretch and I want some practice!

13. Tara says:

oh man how I want one of your fries in that pic! LOVE Rodeo Drive! Perhaps I will have to make a special appearance this year ;) ♥

14. Shannon says:

Who takes the pictures of both of yall? Do you ask random ppl on the street? :D

Also, I’ve heard Pink Taco is good, but I’ve never even been to one.

Maybe one day I’ll make it to CA and see some of those fancy smancy buildings! My hubs went to San Fran 2 years ago and took pictures of some of them for me! LOL

15. Muffy says:

What a great post! I love your photos and videos. It’s so exciting that you are running the LA Marathon! What an accomplishment!!! HUGE!

16. Auntcookie0109 says:

Ok too funny! love the videos and pics!

17. RoadBunner says:

I am seriously thinking of doing the LA Marathon, too!!

What time are you guys going out there? There is hardly any traffic in any of the photos!

18. Amanda says:

Ahh! Your pictures make me envious and make me want to train to run this next year!! What fantastic scenery, hills or not, ahh the gray day here does not compare.

19. naomi says:

I love that you call your iPhone “your child.” Were these pics taken with the iPhone? If so, very nice quality shots!

20. KatieA. says:

The weather was perfect right until it rained – so SoCal! I have to ask…how do you get back? Do you one of you leave your car at the end and one of you drive to the start? I can’t figure it out!

21. aron says:

LOVE these posts!!! so fun :) makes me very sad im not running it this year :( wahhh

22. Ms.V says:

Dang girl. Nice QUAD action!!

Hold up. Can I bring my credit card down Rodeo Drive?

Nice job.

23. Stuart says:

FRICK! QUALITY! LMFAO!

Great job to the pair of you!

24. Punk Rock Runner says:

Best LA Marathon tour guide EVER!! LAM should give you a free entry and lots of free stuff ;-) Not cool calling out your Garmin like that. I’m sure it’s never happened to him before.

25. Miguel says:

So which is better Tommy’s or Dupar’s? Seems like forever since Ihad a Tommy burger

26. Nice route! You guys looked like you were having so much fun! I’m so excited to run my first marathon this year! You give me inspiration! Keep it up girl!!!

Jen

27. rinus says:

Running whitt fun!, i like that and nice movie and pics, i like your blog!.
    Rinus.

28. Jessica says:

If it makes you feel any better, it’s a snowy 25 here…

You should have totally rocked that Weezer song when you went through Beverly Hills. It’s in my head now!

29. Heather says:

wow rodeo drive looks ridiculous! I would feel so out of place! I am with you, how do people afford to shop there?!?

30. I can’t believe you didn’t see any celebs. Bummer!

And your legs are sick. I miss my running legs.. =(

31. such a cool post! I had no interest in the LA Marathon (no particular reason) until I saw all of this…it looks awesome and really get to run through a lot of the cool LA areas! AWESOME…THANKS!

32. carpeviam says:

You’re getting me SO excited to run this in 9.5 short weeks! Yay!

33. Madeline says:

UCLA is being prude and their website says not to expect responses until March/April. So much for California’s free love.

Are you applying to programs around you, in order to keep living and working where you are?

Also, def updated my blog after you commented. I am sorry you had to see what a bad blogger I am…I just pictured the face my mom used to make when she saw how dirty my room was in high school. Whoooops, blog neglect!

34. Tara says:

Great post! I met some friends at my first marathon who live near LA and we are all planning on running it in 2011. Thanks for all the pictures! I LOVE your sunglasses! Where did you get them?

35. jamie says:

I love your LA Marathon mile previews. Oh and BTW how fun to run in Beverly Hills. Plenty to look at =) I would have a hard time not stopping to shop! LOL Maybe you will spot some celebs.
    MMMMMM I heart chicken strips w/ ranch! Have you mixed your ranch w/ BBQ OMG that = heaven!

36. rachel says:

what kind of backpack is billy wearing? i’d love to buy a pack that i could run in without a ton of bouncing and jostling.

thanks!

37. Alisa says:

I remember the first time I ever went to Beverly Hills. It is in a world of it’s own for sure.

Great course preview. It’s awesome that you’re close by and can run on the course prior to the race. I always like to know what’s ahead =).

38. cyberHag says:

Thank you. You just sold out the La Marathon;-) They should be paying you too. I will be your agent.

39. cat says:

i’m running miles 1-19 this sunday with a group of people, do you have turn by turn directions? would you email me? thanks!!

40. Page says:

Why are you so friggin cute! Love love love it!

41. liane says:

Oh man, that was fantastic! I loved your comment about not being able to meet your husband Ryan Reynolds. You could have just ducked inside of Tiffany & Co for him to pick up your ring ;)

Too bad they didn’t let you run down the street in front of the golden globes, like you said, it was too early for the stars! that would have made for some good pics, running in front of the red carpet :)

42. You are too adorable! This makes me want to come visit LA!

43. Pingback: LA Marathon Course Preview: Miles 6.2 – 14 | Chic Runner

44. Frank says:

Great documentary of the course. Very helpful too.
    You should have won the oscar for “Live Action Short”.

Good luck in the race!