Little Debbie’s Little Disappointments

So in hopes to eat ‘healthier’, relative to me, which means not eating fast food like it’s my 2nd job, I have been packing my lunch every day to bring to work. I have two lunch bags that I choose from, which I enjoy, and I also went to the market to get some lunch foods for my new lunch packing routine. Now, this reminds me of going to elementary, middle and high school and when I brought my lunch to school. This lunch included a bag of chips, a sandwich, a cookie or some type of ‘dessert’, some type of granola bar and fruit of some sort. Today, not much has changed in my lunch, most of the time it’s some type of fruit cup, a sandwich of some sort or instead of a sandwich, I’ll get crazy and bring a Cup-o-Noodle, or leftover Macaroni and Cheese from the night before, a bag of chips, a granola bar, and the ‘dessert’. I have been known to eat some cinnamon graham crackers as well. I know, I eat like I’m 12.

When shopping at the market, I search high and low for things to put in my lunch that will keep me full for the day. I also try to switch it up from day to day. I think I might have something called food ADD because I get really bored with eating the same things. I also don’t eat salad. I am not a rabbit, so I will not be eating LEAVES. So most of the time I either have a chicken sandwich with pepper jack cheese, or a peanut butter and jelly. Thrilling. I like to either get Pop Chips, Sun Chips, or on occasion Doritos, “Tacos at Midnight” or Cheetos “Puffs”. For the dessert, I found these little gems the other day while in Target. I was super excited to try them out, you know, the box looks appealing and I perhaps may be one to judge a book by it’s cover.

I thought, this would be a perfect addition to my lunch for my dessert! I am not the biggest chocolate person, but I knew that I could try these out, see if I ended up liking them, and 100 calories sounds good on paper. I used to LOVE Little Debbie stuff when I was a kid and she never disappointed before. Those oatmeal cookies with the frosting in the middle, Holy Toledo, those were the BEST. I would trade anything for those bad boys at lunch time. The other morning, I’m packing my lunch, getting everything ready, and I open the box for the first time. Imagine my extreme disappointment when THIS fell into my hand.

Excuse me? Miss Little Debbie? What is THAT? I understand obviously, I bought the 100 calorie pack, and that means portion control, and let’s all be real for a second, a cake for 100 calories? How true can this be? Well obviously it can’t be true! This little guy is SUPER tiny. I mean, I pretty was like, welp, that was pointless. Here’s a picture of it at my desk next to the normal sized pen I use.

I seriously laughed at these little things, then I ate it, and it was just as disappointing. You broke my heart Little Debbie. Just give me my cookie next time!

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

• Reply aquadump

even though i see your rationale, it hurts to see you slam my shorty. she has gotten me through so many runs and bike rides with her cosmic powers.

January 8, 2010 at 8:09 am
  • Reply Mel

Wow! This is about as disappointing as chips and crackers now sold in 100 calorie packs. VERY. :p I’m not thrilled eating “cookies” that now qualify as crackers. :p

I prefer oatmeal cream pies as well…

January 8, 2010 at 8:09 am
  • Reply Ally

Those are teeny!! I eat like I’m a kid too–I love me some graham crackers. When I’m at my parents house I totally raid my little sisters food stash–it has the good stuff!

January 8, 2010 at 8:17 am
  • Reply Leiane

How do you manage to have leftover macaroni and cheese?
    Do you like Teddy Grahams? They are quite tasty and relatively low in calories. I like to dismember them individually, saving the tummies for last!

January 8, 2010 at 8:21 am
  • Reply Jen

Love your lunch packing routine! Too cute (I know I always say that about your posts but it’s true). Keep up the good work sans the cheap crappy Lil Debbie’s. You work out enough. Go for the real stuff while you can! :)

January 8, 2010 at 8:24 am
  • Reply Jen (reluctntrunner)

January 8, 2010 at 8:24 am
  • Reply Madison (madisonruns)

That is too frickin’ funny. I will know not to buy those!

January 8, 2010 at 8:43 am
  • Reply Spamboy

Little Debbie lost my love years ago, when they changed the recipe of their Swiss Cake Rolls so that you couldn’t easily unroll them anymore. Completely ruined my sense of slow-eating satisfaction. :)

I can’t wait for them to develop the 100-calorie peanut butter pack (should be thimble-sized).

January 8, 2010 at 9:09 am
  • Reply Luann

What did you do with the remaining Little Debbies?

January 8, 2010 at 9:15 am
  • Reply Kelly

Well I guess they are called “Little Debbie”

January 8, 2010 at 9:18 am
  • Reply Luann

Sadly, I would have done the same thing. It’s a sickness. ha!

January 8, 2010 at 9:26 am
  • Reply Julia

I’ve always been disappointed by the 100 cal packs too. I stopped buying them because you don’t get much bang for your buck. I was usually left craving for more!
    And I def eat like a twelve yr old too; i AM making an effort to incorporate veggies though, and reluctantly, finally enter the adult eating world :)

January 8, 2010 at 10:02 am
  • Reply x-country2

Ha! Reminds me of when I tried the 100 calorie cupcakes. Exact same reaction. I dumped out a pack, and they were the size of quarters! WFT?

January 8, 2010 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Thomas

now that is funny. More packaging than product.

January 8, 2010 at 10:18 am
  • Reply Karla

Wow so disappointing for little debbie 100 calorie packs! Next time just fudge up the calories for the REAL oatmeal cream pies! I love those the best too!

January 8, 2010 at 10:25 am
  • Reply nicole

i’ll take the little debbie christmas tree cakes that are like 1245435693445723 calories. :) so good!

way to go with packing ur lunch and being a better eater! every time i think ooo i want taco bell, i think danica would NOT approve! i’m so glad we are little workout/eating buddies! yay us!!

January 8, 2010 at 10:28 am
  • Reply Amy

Stacy’s “Simply naked” pita chips!!

January 8, 2010 at 10:40 am
  • Reply carpeviam

So tiny. It’s like the “fun” size candy bars. There is nothing “fun” about them!

But, I like that you add a dessert with each lunch. ;)

January 8, 2010 at 10:54 am
  • Reply Ian

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You (and the other ladies who commented) are making it sound like size IS important. I was explicitly told that it’s not!

January 8, 2010 at 11:19 am
  • Reply Melissa

i totally want a Little Debbie Oatmeal Pie cookie now!!!

January 8, 2010 at 11:36 am
  • Reply Morgan

I’m not a salad eater either! Do people think you’re crazy too? I always forgo the salad at lunch and they look at me like I’m an alien! LOL!

Um I thought it looked small but next to the pen… OMG! LOL!!!

January 8, 2010 at 11:49 am
  • Reply David

If you still eat like a kid, then I’m sure you remember eating lunchables! Well they’ve got a slightly-more grown up version of it now…
    The turkey/cheddar sub meal is only 360 calories, has plenty of carbs for a workout, and ELEVEN grams of protein! Not bad for a boxed lunch… Also has apple sauce, nilla wafers and a water packed inside…and they’re cheap!

January 8, 2010 at 11:54 am
  • Reply Joe Run For Dom

Danica – so, so funny! I have a close friend that works in Advertising on the Little Debbie account – can’t wait to share your blog post with them. They may need to go up to 150 calories and you can have three bites …

January 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm
  • Reply David Griner

Hey Danica, greetings from the Little Debbie social media team (and Joe’s friend)! So sorry to hear you weren’t happy with the 100 calorie snacks. I’d love to help make it up to you. Drop me an e-mail at and I’ll see what I can do!

Also, we really do appreciate the feedback. We’ve got some changes in the works, and it always help to know what our customers think of newer products like these.

All my best,
    David Griner
    Social media coordinator,
    Little Debbie

January 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm
  • Reply Shannon

Oh wow, love how the Little Debbie ppl commented! :)

I pack my lunch daily too. This week I’ve been switching things up by bringing Lite String Cheese and the Nature Valley Oats and Honey Bars. Sometimes I’ll pack a dessert too – a fun size candy bar! LOL

January 8, 2010 at 1:09 pm
  • Reply Mike

Will Danica sell out for a crate of tiny snack cakes? Tune in tomorrow for the next episode!

January 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm
  • Reply LyndsAU

i eat like im 12 too :) ha

January 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm
  • Reply Rachael

I would be the one to pack 3 in my lunch and pretend I was still eating 100 calories.

I stopped buying all the 100 calorie stuff last year when I realized it wasn’t doing much for my appetite other then making me more hungry!

January 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm
  • Reply Jose

This blog post just got REAL!

January 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm
  • Reply Billy Burger

haha…LOVE it!

props to the Little Debbie peeps for responding!

January 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm
  • Reply Tara Gibson

oh my goodness! That is hilarious they responded!

January 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm
  • Reply Spamboy

Wait…Little Debbie’s not just one, real person?! (childhood hopes/dreams now shattered)

At least we have Betty Crocker, right? (echo)

January 8, 2010 at 2:27 pm
  • Reply ONeener

Ok, now I have sweet-tooth cravings like nobody’s business :) Swiss Rolls, Oatmeal Creme Pies, Snack Cakes… WOW! Pretty cool the Little Debbie folks commented, too! Nice work, Danica- way to lay it out there :)

January 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm
  • Reply Jodi

Mmm, I remember those Oatmeal Cookies – though I wasn’t as lucky as you to get them in my lunch! Way to go, bettering the snack cakes of America, one tiny piece at a time!

January 8, 2010 at 3:07 pm
  • Reply Oblivion

I love the idea of the 100 cal packs. Nothing like a 2×4 to the head to realize just how much we generally overeat (products packages 2.5 servings per, etc.).

January 8, 2010 at 3:09 pm
  • Reply Heather

I used to eat the 100 cal packs or the weight watcher snacks all the time. You get so excited about coffee cake muffins for 100 calories….open them and its pure disappointment. It ends up being a waste of money because they are so tiny

January 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm
  • Reply Joe Run For Dom

David G. – you guys are the best! Thanks for taking good care of my friend Danica. You guys are great – stay warm in Al!

January 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Lara

Ok, chica, we gotta get you eating more like a grown-up. I understand you don’t like leaves. That being said, you’re missing out on some awesome things. How about making a quinoa salad with fresh tomatos, red peppers, and chopped cilantro? Forget Little Debbie. She’ll only break your heart. You need to be strong and move on. (I too, used to live for the oatmeal cream pies. Sigh…)

January 8, 2010 at 4:36 pm
  • Reply Sydney Hunter

HAHAHAAH that is so funny it is TINY compared to the pen!

January 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm
  • Reply kristen

Major bummer. Thanks for the heads up.

January 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm
  • Reply Zoe

I got the lemon cakes and was disappointed by the size too. :( But they were tasty!

Great job bringing your lunch to work!

January 8, 2010 at 8:02 pm
  • Reply Carolina Girl

Wow, that is so weird/awesome/creepy that Little Debbie read this and responded! I hope you get some good stuff! And by good, I mean something bigger than a peanut! haha

January 8, 2010 at 8:21 pm
  • Reply ilovesteaks

I’d stick to Hostess products… Twinkies, Ding Dongs, and Ho Hos. And if you want to be healthy, they have fruit pies! =)

January 9, 2010 at 8:48 pm
  • Reply Pam

I stopped buying the 100 cal. packs too…so small. I find that if I pack an apple or orange I am held over for the rest of the day…and then you can pack something sweet (although I find the apple is usually sweet enough for me) Or you can go heavier on the calories on everything else and end with a jello cup or if you like chocolate I enjoy the van./choc jello pudding cups..they also come in a bunch of other flavors but I am old school…don’t change something if it is not broken. I tried the Boston Creme pie pudding but really if I want Boston Creme pie it needs to come in a triangle form not a pudding…. Great job on packing your lunch!

January 10, 2010 at 8:42 am
  • Reply Kirby @ Good Gals Inc

Oh my gosh this is so funny!! I totally know what you mean though! Sometimes, what is the point of even making the little 100 calorie deals if it’s the size of a penny!!!

January 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm
  • Reply laurel

Your post is making this preggo hungry!

I have gotten really good at packing my lunch now. It’s gotten to the point where I feel really guilty if I spend any money on lunch. It’s a great habit to get into.

January 10, 2010 at 8:29 pm
  • Reply Hick Run Chick

So this isn’t really a comment about the little debbie post (but really? Little Debbie? Wayyyy better and wayyyy healthier sugar highs out there! lol You should try the black bean brownies on the Dr. Oz website! Yumm!)…. but was that YOU I saw standing on a median at the LA 13.1 run today in Santa Monica wearing a pink tutu? :) If so, then thanks for the smile!

January 10, 2010 at 11:28 pm
  • Reply Tara

hahaha it’s SO tiny!!! I think I could eat that in one bite! CHOMP!

January 11, 2010 at 11:41 am
  • Reply Marathon Maritza

I’m not gonna be happy until Debbie HERSELF addresses this issue. Those things are TEENY!!!!!!!

January 11, 2010 at 2:01 pm
  • Reply rachel

I felt the same way about the brownies! Those things are the size of postage stamps!!

January 11, 2010 at 8:26 pm