Last 6.2 miles of the LA Marathon

First off, my thoughts and prayers go out to those in Haiti. I was watching the news this morning and the devastating pictures really reminded me that I am so lucky to be alive, to have the ability to do the things I love and to keep smiling. Please remember to pray for those as they search for more survivors and try to pick up the pieces from this earthquake.

So I temped you all with a big announcement that would be revealed today. It’s pretty ironic that I post this today, since it’s raining here, and these pictures all are showcasing the gorgeous weather we had this past weekend. Well, I was on the fence about it for some time, but finally decided that I will be running the LA Marathon this year, on March 21 in Los Angeles! This will be one of the biggest races that I’ve ever ran and I’m excited about it, well, most of the time I’m excited about it. At first, I didn’t feel like I would be ready to run it, and pending any knee injuries that may come up, I will be running my fifth marathon in less than a year. Yup, I’ve lost it! This also means my training for Surf City will be adjusted, and I will be talking about that in an upcoming post as well.

There are many great things about the LA Marathon though, especially them changing the course this year. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I really wanted to sign up and run it because it was the first year on the new course. It looks amazing and since I am a crazy person, my friend Billy and I decided that we would showcase what the course has to offer, with videos and pictures while running different parts of it. This past weekend, after riding around and cheering on my bike at the 13.1 Marathon, we ran the last 10k of the LA Marathon. Talk about day of workout. I was EXHAUSTED when I finally got home that evening. Also, I smelled pretty badly. So anyways, onward to the end of the LA Marathon. If these pictures on this beautiful day don’t make you want to run the course this year, check your pulse. It was gorgeous out!

Mile 20 is right in front of a hospital. There was a small incline and speed bumps throughout the area, but it was still pretty. This will be the part of the course when I start talking to myself and thinking about how it’s only a 10k to go. Yea, longest 10k of my life!

Running through the hospital grounds. It was weird being in there, I felt like I was doing something illegal, but it was a nice area and the streets were very wide and easy to maneuver. A lot of tangents to run though, and I’m not so good at running tangents.

Speed checked by radar? Good thing I wasn’t running fast! HA! There was a lot of grass throughout the grounds of mile 20 and it was very well maintained.

Then you go over to the VA Medical Center grounds which again is another well taken care of area with grass and wide streets. There is a slight hill leading up to mile 21 which is going to be annoying at that point of the race! It wasn’t too long though and it was cool to see the murals on the walls going under this tunnel.

Mile 21 is mostly just a run through a park like setting even though it’s the VA Medical Center. It was pretty cool seeing the area since I’ve never been around up there much. The streets are perfect for runners and it should be easy to get through any crowds, though there aren’t many crowds at mile 21. Then around mile 21.4, you exit the medical center and go out to the land of the wealthy. These streets aren’t as wide but they really are pretty and it’s fun to see all the buildings and shops around. There is a large grass median that many run on too. That is where we ran most of our trip down San Vicente Blvd.

Running on the grass is good for my knees and shins. It was a nice day out, but as you can tell below, it was NOT cold!

73 degrees? In January? Come on! Come run LA with me! :) It was fun to see all the fitness fanatics out running, cycling and people out walking too. I hope a lot of people come out and cheer for the race, because cheering is just as important as running. It was a very nice area and it is very well maintained.

Running down towards Palisades park. The streets became much wider and the path on the green belt was also a little bit less lush, so it wasn’t hard to find footing. I will most likely be staying all on the street during the race though.

We reached mile 22 and entered the land of nice houses and nice cars. Sheesh louise! Very interesting to see everything going on around me. I tell you, I must have ADD while running, I can get distracted by staring at the most random things ever.

26.2 anyone? This was a street sign for 26th street. Ahh, blue skies, nothing but blueeeeeee skies, waiting for me!

Now, a short video clip for your enjoyment.

Mile 23, and I was tired! It was a great day, but starting our run after biking around and not eating was maybe not the brightest idea I’ve ever had. We were still running on the median and it was still a great fun day though.

Enter prestigious Brentwood! Beautiful houses to look at throughout this part of the course. They seemed to all be out of movies, and it’s so fun to think about who might live inside of them!

Mile 24 and pretty much more of the same. Nice houses, nice cars all around, people running, walking and biking. We started to run in the shade on the sidewalk at this point because it was warm out.

Cheese for the camera! Billy and I being stupid right around Mile 24.

Then we hit the jackpot. It was gorgeous and we were right in Palisades Park, which is, as Billy calls it, a runner’s mecca. It is a palm tree lined, overlooking the ocean, fitness people everywhere, southern California cliche of a park. Though the race will be staying on the street, it was nice to run through here and see the sights that this park that runs next to the street offers.

Another video, where I might mention something about my mecca or the holy land, or I just sound completely stupid…

Running through Palisades Park was a blast! Everyone was so friendly and it was one of those moments when I just looked around and thought to myself how beautiful everything was.

Palisades Park, is, as Billy said, AMAZING! I can’t believe I’ve never ran through here before. I loved all the palm trees on the path! It was so pretty out! I hope to make the drive to run up here more often.

Ahhhh best picture of the day! So LA!

Chuggin’ in to the finish! We were so close, so hungry, so hot, and so tired! We both discussed how we somehow felt like we ran a full marathon!

I made Billy run fast, he was not happy with me :)

Finally! Finito! The race ends right at Ocean and Santa Monica Blvd. Oh, and yes, that is a homeless man chilling behind us.

Mile 26.2!

So, the day was pretty much amazing and getting to the finish of the last 6.2 was totally worth it! I can’t wait to run more of the course and share it with you guys. Stay tuned because I’m hoping to get in all 26.2 miles before race day with more fun videos and pictures!

See you in LA!

59 Responses to Last 6.2 miles of the LA Marathon

1. diana says:

Billy keeps beating you with his posts! Again, you two are too cute and so much fun.

2. Jaime says:

Congrats on your upcoming marathon!!!

3. Kelly says:

I love how one minute you are randomly talking about the holy land and the next looking at your phone lol! You crack me up! I’m so jealous of the beautiful weather you had this weekend.

4. Kelly says:

Oh and congrats on running the LA Marathon, sorry got distracted by the sweet videos and forgot the main topic at hand. :)

5. You are a total marathon maniac! :-)

Have you ever considered coaching people to run marathons? You’re very inspirational!

6. Lacey says:

what a great idea!!!!! soundsn exciting and i really enjoyed the “tour” :) also the color of your shirt is by far one of my favorite colors ever!

7. I LOVE that you guys did this! I spied you guys at mile 23 during my run! Right before the Brentwood sign! :) I wish I was doing the LA marathon, I love the course! Hopefully they will keep it for next year. This year I am training for the San Francisco marathon, my first!!!

8. Vic says:

Congrats on the decision to run another marathon! The course looks beautiful. You are looking amazing, lady, you have legs for days.

9. KatieA. says:

I love to watch you and Billy together – you crack me up! Congrats on your next marathon – if it wasn’t so close to Boston I would be there in a heartbeat!!!

10. LyndsAU says:

you are so cute :) good job!! and yay for the LA Marathon. You are a machine!! Love ya!

11. Morgan says:

This was a really neat idea! How fun! I don’t know whether to be excited for you or come over there and take your tempature?!?!? LOL! Nah you know I’m excited for you girl! Can’t wait to read all about it!

12. Danica – congratulations! You are goingto have a great experience and I can hardly wait for your race report. Good luck with your training and take care of that balky knee!

(I’m running my first ever half next Sunday as part of my Boston training … you are to thank as you’ve encouraged me to race more and not only load up for Marathons).

Best from Austin!

Joe

13. Galina says:

Hey Danica! See you at the LA Marathon on March 21! Should I be looking for a pink tutu in a crowd?:)
    How about the Big Sur Marathon in April? It’s a fantastic race. Once you run it, you become addicted to it. It’s simply the best race! Good luck with your training.

14. Liana says:

Awesome! Thanks to you and Billy for sharing the last 10k. This year’s LA Marathon is going to be so fun. I’ll see you there.

15. Tiffany says:

LA!! You go girl!! And you look amazing, as always…

16. Marlene says:

The vids are awesome, as always. What a fun way to familiarize yourselves with the last 6.2. Congrats on your decision to run marathon # 5! Sounds like a good one.

17. Billy Burger says:

Haha…after all that trouble and planning, you’d BETTER be running it!

Seriously, it’s going to be a blast. And I’m gonna be like TMZ on Lindsey during the race. Pics/videos galore. LA will be one big-ass block party that day.

HOLY LAND!!! Bring on Part Two!

18. Awesome pics and video! I am so missing LA right now. My brother and I were talking about comoing out for another visit soon. Your pictures sealed the deal. I MUST do it. SO pretty!!

19. Amy says:

When I lived in LA, I lived near the VA center, and when I started running, that’s where I ran! there was a HUUUGE hill (although I’m sure now, I would just laugh at it) that I had to run up to get to where Wilshire & San Vicente hook up, and it killed me every time! I am so jealous that you’re doing LA this year! WAAH!

20. Rachael says:

You two are hilarious! Question: where were you guys hiding the little signs that said mile this and mile that? I mean, I don’t often bring along crisp white sheets of paper on my average 10K. Not usually …

21. Denise says:

I’ll be running a marathon the same day in Virginia! Good luck with training.

22. Madison says:

That is so great that you decided to run LA. You are sure living up to your marathon manic membership. I will be out there too!

23. carpeviam says:

NO WAY! I’ll be running the LA marathong TOO!!!

Let’s meet up!

And, thanks for the photo-doc of the final 6.2!

24. Sarah says:

WOW love the pics and video! Too fun. You definitely make me want to come to LA to run if I ever do a marathon. :)

25. Madison says:

The course looks B-e-a-utiful! Have fun!

26. Marci says:

I am running LA (well 90% sure) this year since it is the tail end of my March break. Hope I get to meet you again! I loovvee the pictures, thanks! How would you compare to CIM. it looks flat, but I like some elevation change.

27. Marci says:

PS – what time of day did you run, that’s warm and it worries me for March. (cold weather runner – opposite of you!)

28. Miguel says:

I’m also signed up for LA!
    Boy after checking that 73* temp, I’m starting to get a little concerned. I figure I’ll be training in the 40s for the next 2 months out here in Nor Cal. I may die in LA

29. Zoë says:

Awesome, Danica!!! Looks like the LA Marathon should be fun!

30. cyberHag says:

Yeah glad you can join us! Team Bowling For Boobies.com still has a spot for you;-)

31. Heather says:

how beautiful! I wish i lived somewhere like that!

32. Ms.V says:

I knew you were running this. I just knew. good job on the pics. Can’t wait!

33. Dominic says:

So happy to know you will be running it with me! This will be my first Marathon and its good to know ill be surrounded by inspirational people such as yourself!! See you on the street :)

34. Kelly says:

Just wanted to give you a shout out…came across your blog while researching half marathons…and you are an inspiration! Great job tracking the course…it has been beautiful here in so cal! I am from Carlsbad area and am running my first half marathon since 2001 on the 24th! Keep your posts coming, I love reading them!

35. Wow, thanks for posting that!! How cool to see what the end of the race will be like!! (And in case I don’t quite make it all the way to the end I guess I’ll know what I missed LOL). See you there :)

36. Alisa says:

This looks like an awesome last 6.2 for a marathon. I gotta say I’m totally jealous that it was 73 and so sunny!

Yay for the holy land.

i’m excited for you but I also think you’re bat sh$t crazy! 3 marathons in one year was enough for me I can’t imagine 5!!!!!!!!!!

PS You just did your first brick workout. (i.e. bike then run…come on you know you wanna do a tri)

37. elizabeth says:

Ahhh! Palisades Park to San Vicente is my daily run :) I’m a VERY lucky girl!

38. Punk Rock Runner says:

Wow. I had no idea THIS was going to be your BIG announcement. You’re so good at keeping a secret ;-) I guess now I have to run the damn thing…..

39. Billy Burger says:

I know, really…who saw THIS coming? (GASP)

;)

40. Nicole Y. says:

Super cute post! I love it! It looks beautiful out there. You’ll do great in LA, I can’t wait to hear all about it!
    Keep the videos coming, they’re hilarious!

Im so jealous of your beautiful weather! im so excited your running yet another marathon! your are so bA! love you!!

42. Sarah says:

Great photos – I love all the palm trees and warm weather! It’s 28 degrees here and not a palm tree in sight! Good luck with your training!

43. Rachel says:

thanks for the preview! i’ll be out there too, can’t wait to see the new course! im doing surf city half too, so im looking forward to seeing how you’re adjusting your training for LA : )

44. OK, even though it wasn’t a full marathon… did you really run 6 miles in those sunglasses??? what brand??

45. X-country2 says:

I can’t believe people live like that. It’s soooo not Nebraska in January.

46. AHAHAHAH – the whole “If I were Islamic this would be like my trip to the Holy Land” thing killed me! Hilarious!!!

You’re funny dude! :oP

47. Christina says:

Wow! I’m jealous, it’s 19 degrees here now. Good luck!

48. Glenn Jones says:

Just our luck – it will probably be pouring rain on March 21st….

49. David says:

ha! the pics are funny… you should check out this Dutch blog http://runningfromcamera.blogspot.com/

you could definitely submit some of these to this guy!

50. Holy crap, you’re running a marathon again…in March? I’d say you were crazy, but looking at those beautiful pictures, I guess I can’t blame you!

Now I guess we have a marathon training plan to discuss…