Surf City Training plan + Day UNO!

So when I “trained” for the Long Beach full marathon I followed a plan that was strictly just running and just easy miles. I never did any speed work, or any real type of cross-training, just simply ran the mileage, and it worked well for me. I obviously hit my goal of going sub-four in a marathon with the time of 3:55:37. I cannot tell you enough how important having a plan that caters to your life is. You need to make training work for you, not the other way around. I am a very vocal training plan hater. I get really burnt out running so much and trying to hit times and it makes me really disappointed in myself if I can’t hit them specifically.

I think I feel this way because of my training in track and cross country during high school and the pressure that I put on myself. I raced and ran as hard as I could for all four years of high school. I played soccer in between seasons and I just was constantly on the go and in intense training. So I think, for myself, running is mostly about enjoying it right now. When I tried to previously follow a more strict plan like this for the San Diego Marathon I got really burnt out and didn’t want to run, even when race day came.  So since I already have a decent base for the half, I am going to work for these next 46 more days at kicking my own butt as hard as I possibly can. This is a pretty hardcore training plan if you know me and the training plans I’ve followed before.

I made up this training plan with the help of a few people but mostly wrote it myself with what I feel comfortable with. I also really like the options that I have given myself, if I feel good to do a recovery run, I can run a recovery run or if I am a little sore then I can do a swim and yoga. Swimming these distances, for myself, is going to be a challenge and I am not going to let myself stop when swimming, just like in a race. So it will still be a great workout and will increase my lung capacity. So without further ado, I give you my training plan for Surf City!

Ohhh the colors! You want to see it big and pretty though, don’t you! You want to know that this little girl who hates training plans and likes to dilly dally her way through runs with no particular plan in mind is going to kick her own butt? Who started this training plan on the TRACK this morning? Well here you go! I’ve also, with the help of some wonderful people at work, added a new function to my blog, behold, LIGHTBOX!

To view my Surf City Training Plan Click on this link!

Holy COW that is incredible RIGHT!? The fact it popped up and the beauty that is my training plan! So after you looked at the plan you’ve realized that the days are mostly the same every week. Sundays I will be swimming, Monday is a rest day, Tuesday is a track workout, Wednesday is recovery running or swimming and yoga, Thursday is a faster longer mileage day, and Friday is a rest day with Saturday being my ‘long run’ or mileage day. Then we start again on swimming on Sundays. Also, here is the key for the abbreviations I did on the plan.

WU – Warm up

CD – Cool down

400 – 1 lap around the track

800 – 2 laps around the track

Also, I plan to possibly have a virtual race the week of the 17th, but I will get more into that later, and if the week of the 10-16th, I’m starting to feel overwhelmed and burnt out, I will just take that week a little bit easier and do some easy mileage and easy swimming. If I feel good I will chug forward to the end of the plan.

For me, this plan in incredibly intense, but I’m excited to do it too. It will be a change for me, but I am also doing this in revenge for my Surf City time last year. I wanted to run a 1:45. Anytime in the 1:45  would have made me happy, I would have taken 1:45:59, but what did I run? A 1:46:00. Official time is including the :00. Really? Now, I know I say a lot of time that I don’t run for time, but this time it’s all out and I’m going to try my hardest to run hard and race hard. Racing 13.1 miles is a long way to push and race hard, but I want revenge on the stupid Surf City half marathon.

This morning was the first day I was suppose to go to the track. I woke up at 6 am and heard the wind whistling through our courtyard and a light drizzle. I do not run in the rain. I hate the wind, and I knew it was going to be cold. I almost, ALMOST, stayed in bed, but then I told myself to Harden the F up and get this done. I couldn’t skip my first day. Man up Danica! So off I went with my earwarmers, long sleeve and carpis. Glad I wore the earwarmers too, they were clutch. I warmed up pretty quickly and was back at the starting line for my first 800. It was a crazy feeling being back on the track, since I haven’t been on on running for a long, long time.

I started my track workout with a one mile warm up, 4 800 meters, aiming to hit the pace of 3:45 for each lap and then a lap (400) in between of recovery after each 800. Does that make sense?! My  paces for each 800 were: 3:18, 3:22, 3:34, 3:20. Yea, according to my plan I was suppose to hit 3:45… So we shall reevaluate that soon and work on getting my paces a little bit closer to where I am. I really wanted to just run this first one and see where I was in terms of time. I felt really tired after the first two. Like REALLY tired. My arms are still a bit sore from my attempt at swimming on Sunday so they were pretty useless in getting the end laps in the right numbers, and I really had to rely on my legs. The third one I was like just get this done and then you can slow jog. Finally it was the fourth one. 800 meters down, 600 meters to go, then it was only one lap left, then 300 meters, come on you did this with hurdles in high school, then it was a 200, and then a 100 and I was done. First track workout, CROSSED OFF THE SCHEDULE. I think tomorrow I will be doing some swimming. It was a lot to take on for only the first day but I did it and that’s all that counts!

Surf City, get ready for me because here I come, and this time you won’t be Surf Shitty!

Click on the photo, I dare you! :)

PS Big Thanks to Tommy, Lam, Tara and Aron for looking over my training schedule and reminding me that I CAN do it :)

25 Responses to Surf City Training plan + Day UNO!

1. This is an absolutely hardcore training schedule! Dang girl. I know you can do it because… umm HELLO YOU ARE A MANIAC! :) The best kind, of course.

2. Jacklyn says:

Look at all the fun things your blog can do. haha. This schedule is awesome. It’s hardcore but you’ll feel awesome accomplishing it. You’ve inspired me to do a marathon next year. Da da daaa. Training starts next week. Who starts marathon training over Christmas. Boo :)

3. Jamie says:

You are so hardcore Dragon! LOL
    I have a dumb question… 400 is one lap around a track? 800 would be 2? Sorry… I never ran track! Educate me please !

4. Colleen says:

Beautiful training schedule! I need to do one for myself. I might steal a little of yours though…

5. aron says:

of course you can do it girl!!! I cant wait to be there to see it happen too – wooooo!!!

awesome job on the 800s today!! SPEEEEEDY!

6. Cory says:

Can’t believe you got up. I saw the wind this morning and jumped right back in bed.

7. Tara says:

you’re going to dominate Surf City and make that race your bitch! We will keep each other on track and become swimming pros together! great job on getting out there today..I overslept and will be doing my 800s tonight….FAIL

8. Morgan says:

Oooo it’s so colorful and the lightbox is so fancy! LOL! Rock on girl, you’ve got this!

9. Marci says:

You can do it!! You are super fast girl and can totally run a 1:45. Your plan looks great, you may want to try a few mile repeats in your speedwork (you may have them there, I glanced quickly), I found they add alot of stamina. Happy training!

10. Marci says:

Oh I also wanted to add, I like the colour blocking of your training plan. This is inspiring me to get a training plan in motion for the spring!

11. J says:

I like your training plan! I swim for pretty much the same reason you do! I like how it increases my lung capacity but i really have no desire to race swim. Its hard and I can’t breathe and then i panic. not fun!

12. Bill says:

Thanks for posting your plan. It’s reminded me I need to make my own. I missed my 1:45 target at the AFC Half in San Diego because I didn’t plan right for the last 2 miles uphill. With Surf being so flat, you’ll beat 1:46:00 easily. Good luck training!

13. Jamie says:

Dad did you leave money for pizza?
    I left a $20 on the counter.
    But dad that’s not enough… what if I WANT WINGS??!?!?!

Way to go with the 800s! I love your plan!! Its so pretty & looks perfect! I bet you will do fantastic! :) Cant wait to read another race report!

15. Caroline says:

I love your training schedule! So organized and pretty : ) Good luck!

16. carpeviam says:

Go get ‘em! Looks like a fun training plan. And certainly a fun one to look at! ;)

17. I just put together my marathon training plan for the Rock and Roll Marathon (in San Diego) as well! However, it is not nearly as fancy as your cool Lightbox feature!! Very nice!!

18. N.D. says:

you are truly a marathon maniac! my sister is going out for the 1/2 – she showed me the sweet medal!! :)

19. Jessica says:

Question…with your non-cross-training plan for the half, do you feel you were able to get all you could out of your race?? I’m thinking about training for a half, but have absolutely no time for any consistent cross-training. What did you like/dislike about that??

20. Araiz says:

Go Danica! What time do you need in the swimming pool to do the 2000 metres??

21. Stuart says:

Having read your plan it shows a real maturity in your running, however a couple of questions:

(1) Why are all your intervals 800m you might want to think about mixing it up 400, 800, 1000, 1200 and yes even 1600 distances. If you stick with 800m you’ll get very good at those and not much else

(2)Same question about your short tempo run, no variance in pace?

(3) No pace for your Long run?

(4) What’s your target time?

22. Glenn Jones says:

Great plan there Danica. I’m going to steal it and add it to my master plan spreadsheet. In fact I was thinking that after the L.A. Marathon, I’m going to give this long distance crap a rest and do more to get faster at shorter distance *and* core strengthening. Thanks for the plan!

23. I realize that most people commented on your training plan… I just wanted to say that I love your new Lightbox feature!! I clicked on your photo a couple of times because I was mesmerized by this fun pop-out feature!

24. Alisa says:

Hahaha no Surf Shitty for you this year.

25. Pingback: Goals for Surf City | Chic Runner