Porta-Potty Blue was my color at CIM

So perhaps you followed along on my festive marathon run yesterday via twitter.

Then you know I got sicky mcthrowup pooperson.

Life goes on. The race was going well. Mile 12 came and I knew I was getting sick. Mile 13.1 and the fun began. Then it was my goal to just finish the race. I finished in 4:22:32. Not my best time, but not the worst. I threw up three times, one time in front of fireman, which was epic and went to the bathroom twice. If I had to¬†pee, I would say, I went pee twice. So, yea think about that one. And, no, I don’t know what made me sick, or I wouldn’t have done it. I think all signs are pointing to the course drink though.

The race is done, and I did it. I still completed my goal of running three marathons in three months! That’s all that I wanted. I don’t feel bad about my time and I don’t feel upset like I did after San Diego.

This race was REALLY tough, at mile 10 my legs were KILLING me. They were like “Hi! We JUST ran Malibu! We are done now.” They were so cold that they were frozen. Oh and yes, it was FREEZING. I NEVER warmed up, another struggle. Alas, the full race report will probably be up on Wenesday, and it will be pretty craptastic, but humerous none the less I’m hopeful for. But as for now, you can go read the “cold weather running comments” and enter to win the Zensah shirt, which I DID end up wearing yesterday and am SO thankful I did. I am going to announce the winner tomorrow.

Right now I’m really sore. Sore in places that I haven’t been sore before. I think it’s the cold, mixed with three marathons in three months, mixed with just being run down. I’m excited because today is the first time I’ve taken the day off work after a marathon and I’m going to spend time with my friends in San Fran for the day.

Someone asked me, “Why do you keep running if you get sick all the time?”

All I could think of is, “Why do you ride a bike if you know there’s a chance you can fall off? Why drive a car if you know there’s a chance you can get in an accident?”

Running is what I do and something I love. I’m thankful I can do it, and though it was a tough race for me, it’s done. I ran three marathons in three months.

dk

72 Responses to Porta-Potty Blue was my color at CIM

1. Katie A. says:

Great job out there! You did awesome in those horrid awful conditions! Congrats Maniac!

2. Jenn says:

Huge congrats to you! I was following your race on twitter and was cheering you on from afar. Since finding your blog, you’ve totally become my running inspiration.

Again, Congrats!!!

3. Vic says:

CONGRATS on finishing! You poor thing. Sorry you got sick. Enjoy your day off and REST!

4. Jose says:

I was reading your updates (while me and my friends lagged far behind you) and felt your pain during barf city. That drink was horrid! It caused my buddy to get an upset stomach and I hurled around the 15 mile mark. Rule # something about marathon day: never experiment with new stuff. Even something as simple as electrolyte drink!
    Glad you had SOME fun in my town though! Congrats on the MM Jersey!

5. Amy says:

Congrats MANIAC!!!!

Welcome to the club. :)

6. Monica C. says:

Wow! You are amazing! Marathon #4, you get sick, it’s freeszing cold, and you STILL finished in 4:22. Great job!! I hope you get some good rest – guess you’re going to need it for whatever you have in store for 2010!

7. Kelly says:

You are my hero! Congrats on being a Maniac!

8. beanarita says:

Congrats on 3 marathons in 3 months! Your awesome and crazy at the same time!

9. Janis says:

Congrats! I hope your tummy’s feeling better soon!

10. Was the fireman cute? Did he at least see if you were okay? :-)

And congrats on becoming a marathon maniac!!

11. Yay! Three marathons in three months is still so good even if the last was a doosey!Not every body can say they did that. I am twitter illiterate and forgot to check for updates but I am going to read them now- Good job!

12. angela says:

You are AWESOME!! A friend of mine also ran the CIM yesterday and had a very similar experience! Enjoy your rest!!

13. Shannon says:

Congrats on being a Maniac!!! Girl you are awesome!

14. Leiane says:

Awww–sorry about you getting sick. I told my husband that if I were trying to run a marathon and had to go to the porto, I probably would have just collapsed…I would have still been in there! Good job…way to persevere!

15. Denise says:

Oh, so sorry to hear you got sick. But congrats on sticking with it and staying tough!

16. Ellie says:

Congratulations on finishing another marathon. That is a huge accomplishment, and you should be very proud that you finished despite being sick. I don’t know if I would have. I love your blog!

17. Amy says:

It was a hard day out there– I didn’t take any of the sports drink but I heard it was kind of nasty.

Great job and so nice to meet you!

18. Congrats on a job well done, friend!

I don’t think of you as someone who gets “sick all the time.” I think your body was just telling you to rest. Which I’m sure you’re doing now. Shit happens (quite literally). I’m glad you completed it and that you’re safe. I’m looking forward to the running report – I bet it will be good! :-) Have a fun day off!

19. Oh and about the sports drink… was it a new brand or something? Did you drink it before the race? xoxo

20. I am sorry you got sick during your marathon. Hope you feel better today.

21. Marlene says:

Congrats you Maniac! Sorry to hear that you were sick, but big kudos for pushing through.

22. Madison says:

Congrats on another great run! That is AWESOME that you pushed through the sickness!

23. I’m sorry you got sick Dani! I think you’re tough for sticking with it even through your GI issues! I’m going to have to read your race report carefully to figure out a not-get-sick-on-marathon-day plan for you!

Rest up and feel better for now, you marathon maniac!

24. Melanie says:

Girl, you made it to the finish line and that’s what counts! We never know how race day is going to go, and I think you did great all things considered! You’ve definitely challenged yourself with the 3 marathons, and I think you really did well at accomplishing that goal. Now feel better and take a little time off to recover so that you feel great for whatever challenge you make for yourself next! :)

25. Stevi says:

Again, congrats Danica!!!! Yes crap happens, but seriously you are one tough gal and you have proven it for the world to see.

Many of men would have DNF’ed, but you kept going, and showed some damn guts in the process.

Oh,and thanks for taking away any ability for your readers to use getting “sick” in the port-a-potties as a reason not to finish a marathon. So I think I now have this list of what can be done during marathoning:
    1. tweeting
    2. texting
    3. pictures
    4. video’s of other runners
    5. video’s of yourself
    6. vomiting
    7. port-a-john stops (many)
    8. tutu’s
    9. hair-in-buns (looking super chic)
    10. Freezing cold (you can still move your butt 26.2 miles).
    Anything else?

26. Jess says:

Sick or not, you’re still my hero for finishing! Great job pushing through the all the crap (literally…)

27. Sam says:

Run enough of them and they won’t all be what you want. But you got the medal and a DNQ (did not quit). Nice job toughing it out. Now go get your Maniac #!!!

28. Tanya says:

I ran CIM on Sunday too and it was so cold that it really did a number on me too. Miles 13-19 were like being in a wind tunnel! I never got warm either.
    This was my first marathon and I was cold and miserable the whole time, so I feel your pain.

29. Niki says:

Girl you are awesome!! Congrats on being a Marathon Maniac!!

30. Sydney says:

WOW, congrats! 4:22 is an AWESOME TIME!!!!!!! AND 3 marathons in 3 months is incredible. You are an inspiration!

31. I’m sorry you got sick again

But you are still the QUEEN of awesome! A bad case of the pukes and poops will never take that away from you! :)

32. Joerunfordom says:

Danica –

So sorry to hear about what happened out on the course. I’m so proud of you for finishing it out strong and completing 3 marathons in 3 months. Great, great job.

I always say that the courage to start is harder to come by than the courage to finish – but I think you proved yesterday just how very courageous you are.

Thanks for being you – can’t wait to hear what you have up next.

33. J says:

So sorry to hear about your stomach problems during the race. I hate it when my stomach hurts while running. But you did complete your 3rd marathon in three months and that is an awesome accomplishment!

34. Kristen says:

Congrats on 3 marathons in 3 months!!! I don’t think I could do it at my best- so being sick is just out of the question!
    4 marathons in a year- Congrats!!

35. Morgan says:

1. Sh*t happens.
    2. So does puke.
    3. You are a MANIAC!!!
    4. ROCK ON GIRL! Congrats!!!
    5. REST!!!

36. Caroline says:

3 marathons in 3 months, that’s incredible! Congratulations!

37. Ally says:

Way to kick another marathon’s ass! Even if it wasn’t perfect, you went out there, you did it and you finished. So sorry you got sik–that’s the worst. Way to go, you Maniac!!! Whoo!

38. Jenny says:

What the heck was the race drink??? Please share, so we can stay away from it!

Congrats on your marathon. Man, everybody better watch out when you get your “on” day, because a 4:22 when you have to stop and get sick? Wow!

39. x-country2 says:

You still look cute as a button!

40. aron says:

hey another one down girl!!! you are awesome and now a MANIAC!!! so glad i got to celebrate with you too and that you came up here to run! booo to sucky races, but whatev, you finished and are moving on :) love you!

fu*kin EPC. your so amazing! i had a FABULOUS time with your crazy hilarious ass this weekend. seriously ill need a danica fix every once in a while. who else am i gonna wake up at 3am post marathon and scream f*ck my life with? no one understands like you! much love babe! your da bomb! xoxoxoxoxoxoxxo

p.s. way to continue running after barfing 3 times and having bathroom issues… i would have quit. fml.

42. Marci says:

Congrats on becoming a maniac!! It was nice meeting you this morning!

43. Brandon says:

You said Poo-Person… that’s funny. Sux you got sick, Kelly and I were feeling for you here from Austin. When do you get your awesome Hulk-a-Maniac shirt? I mean Marathon-a-Maniac… Congratulations superwoman, you deserve it for not quitting out there.

44. well i think you are ah-mazing. four marathons this year?!? my hat is off to you girlie!

45. Sarah says:

Aw, Danica…congrats on finishing! I think you’re so amazing for running 3 marathons and not to mention running like a superstar while being so sick! Rest up and take it easy; feel better soon!

46. cyberHag says:

Yup you are a MANIAC! I spend my entire life between nausea and motion sickness so I feel your pain sister!

47. Betsy says:

so proud of you m’dear. you are officially a MANIAC! smile :)

48. Ann says:

Hey Marathon-Maniac-Manica,
    congratulations on finishing a marathon running feeling sick, and I agree, considered your numerous stops you ran it hard.
    Yes rule number 1 in the marathon bible is NEVER try something new on raceday and also not the day before! That’s why I usually carry a minimum of my own electrolytes with me and I’m always trying out their drinks and gu’s before the race (you can always find it on the website as a given or as a sponsor and if not, don’t hesitate to ask for it in email).
    I’m proud to know you ManicaDanica.
    (btw. Santa Barbara was cold also but it went well and I ran a Boston Qualifyer 3:56)

49. Christina DiStefano says:

You rock girl!!

50. simi says:

You go girl! You inspire me to start running :) Thanks!