Porta-Potty Blue was my color at CIM

So perhaps you followed along on my festive marathon run yesterday via twitter.

Then you know I got sicky mcthrowup pooperson.

Life goes on. The race was going well. Mile 12 came and I knew I was getting sick. Mile 13.1 and the fun began. Then it was my goal to just finish the race. I finished in 4:22:32. Not my best time, but not the worst. I threw up three times, one time in front of fireman, which was epic and went to the bathroom twice. If I had to pee, I would say, I went pee twice. So, yea think about that one. And, no, I don’t know what made me sick, or I wouldn’t have done it. I think all signs are pointing to the course drink though.

The race is done, and I did it. I still completed my goal of running three marathons in three months! That’s all that I wanted. I don’t feel bad about my time and I don’t feel upset like I did after San Diego.

This race was REALLY tough, at mile 10 my legs were KILLING me. They were like “Hi! We JUST ran Malibu! We are done now.” They were so cold that they were frozen. Oh and yes, it was FREEZING. I NEVER warmed up, another struggle. Alas, the full race report will probably be up on Wenesday, and it will be pretty craptastic, but humerous none the less I’m hopeful for. But as for now, you can go read the “cold weather running comments” and enter to win the Zensah shirt, which I DID end up wearing yesterday and am SO thankful I did. I am going to announce the winner tomorrow.

Right now I’m really sore. Sore in places that I haven’t been sore before. I think it’s the cold, mixed with three marathons in three months, mixed with just being run down. I’m excited because today is the first time I’ve taken the day off work after a marathon and I’m going to spend time with my friends in San Fran for the day.

Someone asked me, “Why do you keep running if you get sick all the time?”

All I could think of is, “Why do you ride a bike if you know there’s a chance you can fall off? Why drive a car if you know there’s a chance you can get in an accident?”

Running is what I do and something I love. I’m thankful I can do it, and though it was a tough race for me, it’s done. I ran three marathons in three months.

dk

72 Responses to Porta-Potty Blue was my color at CIM

1. Joy says:

Nicely done!!! Great job on the finish with all the puke & poo & whathaveyou. You should get double credit for that :)

2. Awesome job!!! Congrats on meeting your goals!

3. Pam says:

Congrats on finishing 3! Now take some well deserved time off and rest!

4. pen says:

I’m sorry you had a rough run this weekend! But, you’re a maniac now! :) Congrats on that lovely marathon maniac accomplishment!!!

5. I saw your tweets during the race and sorry to hear that you got sick but happy to hear that you pushed through and finished! what a champ! :) That is awesome… go rest your legs and have fun with your friends. You deserve it!

6. Zoe says:

3 marathons in 3 months…HECK YES!! Congrats on that awesome accomplishment. You didn’t give up, despite some serious tummy trouble, so you deserve wicked props! YOU DID IT! Woot! :) Hugs!

7. Michaela says:

You rock. Way to power through! And the Ultima was harsh. I trained with it on my long runs to prepare myself for CIM, and the first time I took it, I seriously almost crapped my pants — no joke!!

You did awesome. And even with all the barfing and pooping, you still kicked my ass by a good 30 minutes! Like I said, you rock!!

8. You are a great runner. Wishing you a speedy recovery and many more great marathons!

I will never have an excuse to stop running anymore (excepting broken bones I guess)……

Goed gedaan (Well done) mevrouw Kooiman!

Dutch guy here, preparing for 50 km Eco Trail de Paris (France :-))

9. Amy Reinink says:

So sorry to hear about the stomach troubles. I had a similar race back in October, and though I was terribly disappointed with my time, I’m unbelievably proud of the fact that I finished despite it all. Nice job on a gutsy race that was difficult in ways you never would’ve anticipated!

10. Felice says:

So sorry you got sick :-( that’s a bummer. But, you finished! And, yeah, 3 marathons in 3 months is quite the accomplishment!

11. Nikki says:

Way to go! 3 marathons in 3 months. Hardcore! I’m in awe! I think you have to be a runner to understand why we love it. We had a saying at my university that applies to running too, I think: “From the inside looking out you can’t explain it; from the outside looking in you can’t understand it.”

12. Alisa says:

Way to go! You finished and with a smile to boot.

I don’t envy you and your sickness but I’ve been there too, it’s soooooo not fun.

Your leggies have earned a very well deserved break!

13. You should invest in Port-o-potty stock. :)

I HEART YOU! YOU ROCK! WAY TO KICK THE SAC IN THE GONADS!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

14. Liana says:

You really ROCK, girl. I feel you when you say you just keep running, because it’s what you love and what you do. Congrats for finishing and for showing me how it’s done – to just do it.

15. Jamie says:

sorry to hear about your troubles…i actually had the same troubles in Vegas for the half marathon….you rock for these marathons in 3 months!!

16. Susan says:

Great job and love your blog. I ran the CIM also – my goal was not to get swept which I made by several minutes. It was so cold and the wind was brutal! My bf was trying to qualify and had been sick all week. He started cramping up at mile 12 and eventually his whole body seized in mile 16 and he fell into the bushes! He took the bus back and now we’re signed up for LA in March to try again.

17. Tami says:

i was laughing when you kept saying you were cold, i live in New Hampshire, I only ran 7 miles on Sunday but it was 30 and we had 6 inches of snow.

glad you did the 3/3, you win some you lose some but you did what you set out to do

18. Amanda says:

So sorry you got sick. You’re a trooper for sticking it out and finishing!

19. ilovesteaks says:

You and me both. I didn’t get to hurl, but boy did I get familiar with the portapotties… almost 1 visit every mile from mile 16 to the finish. I sprung a leak! So when’s your next race you maniac?! :)

20. Tara says:

I just wanted to let you know there were 69 comments before I left this….lol

sorry you were a mcthrowup pooperson, but I’m glad we got to be sicky maniacs together! ♥ you & chin up butter cup ’cause we ain’t got to run a marathon for AWHILE!!!! holllllaaaaaa

21. Ms.V says:

I saw those pink ribbons yanno.

You are very inspirational girl…congrats.

22. Ann says: