Mileage for 2009 and last reflections

I started off the year with my Nike Plus recording all my running activities. When I realized that the Plus was a little shall we say, miscalculated, I decided it was time to up my game and purchase the big boy, the Garmin forerunner 305, thus Claude entered my life:

Yup, that’s the picture I took after the Long Beach Marathon. :) I really think that with Claude in my life, my running has improved simply by the fact that he is very accurate and also mostly very reliable. I can see my splits and distance easily and it’s very consistent. So, keeping track of my running before Claude with the Nike Plus said that I ran 198.26 miles for the months of January through March. Then I got Claude and he stated that I ran 596.46 miles for the remainder of the year. Now, I know I’ve ran some without Claude so I’m giving myself 50 free miles where I didn’t keep track of everything. That puts me roughly at 844.72, so I’m rounding up and saying I ran 850 miles this year. It’s relatively not that many, but I’m happy with the number.

I am not that anal about keeping track of mileage and that is perhaps one of my goals for the year of 2010. We’ll see, that post is up tomorrow, since it’s the first day of 2010, I will start it off right with some goals!

I think overall, this year I pretty much knocked it out of the park. I wasn’t even planning to run a marathon at the beginning of the year. I wanted to wait until 2010. Then I ran not one, not two, not three, but four, the last three being in the last three months of the year. So what made me go crazy?

I can’t answer that. I guess I just got the itch. Deep down, I knew I could do it, it was the matter of just getting it done. I always say that everyone can run, and it’s true. Running is completely a mental sport. Believe me, when I was at mile 19 and throwing up during CIM, I didn’t want to keep running. I didn’t want to keep going, but it was mind over matter. I HAD to do it. You too can do it, anyone can. It was one of those things where I just kind of went, “Okay, get it done.” It wasn’t easy, it wasn’t always fun, nor warm, but I did it. I still can’t believe I did that. Why did I want to do it? Maybe that will come to me someday, as for now, I thought it would be fun, and who knew if I would ever run three marathons that closely together again in my life.

It was a great year of injury-free running and I got my sub-four in the Long Beach marathon. That made me incredibly happy. Funny thing was though, it was never my 2009 goal, but now that I have it, it’s all I’ve ever wanted. That day continues to remind me that running is magical. Setting out to accomplish a goal is something that many chose not to do, and though it wasn’t my initial goal, somehow along the way, I knew I could do it, and accomplishing it meant everything to me.

People always are talking about Boston. When are you going to qualify. You are so fast. You can do it no problem. Well, here is my answer concerning Boston. I ran hard for four years of my life in high school. I was constantly training, constantly pushing myself and bettering myself as a runner. I was always at that threshold where it’s “go all out until you puke” running. I worked out year round, playing soccer, running cross country and track and during the summer training for cross-country. Right now, I honestly have no desire to train for Boston and attempt to qualify. Right now, for me, running is about enjoying every step I’m allowed to take, and pushing myself forward. Maybe next year I’ll get that drive and intense desire to try to qualify, but for me, right now, I love running for no particular reason besides just being able to do it. I have my sub-four, and until I have the dream for Boston, I’m so incredibly happy with that sub-four.

Entering 2010, it will be my 10th year running. That’s a long time. I have spent a huge part of my life running, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Running gives my mind peace, gives my body something to do and allows me to feel and explore my emotions when I’m completely by myself. It has brought me the ability to experience so many different types of emotions. From complete happiness and joy, to defeat and failure, but in the end, I always come back to it. It’s always there for me when I need to just lace up my shoes and head out and that is what I love about running. Not every run will be great, and not every run will be horrible, but it’s the ones that teach you something about yourself, that you couldn’t have learned any other way, those are the memorable ones.

Here’s to the good, the best, the fast, the soggy, the fun, the craptastic and the horrible runs that I have to look forward too in 2010. Cheers!

20 Responses to Mileage for 2009 and last reflections

1. nicole says:

Cheers!!!

Heres to more slumber parties and lots of crazy girl talks in 2010!!! Oh and some races too!!!

I hope i can see you again!! I’m so happy we met this year!!! Neither one of us had goals to run a marathon this year… we BOTH did and we BOTH sub 4d!!! Id say thats amazing team work!!! heheehe

love youuuuu!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

2. Tara says:

Here’s to an amazing 2010! I’m so glad we’ve been able to run so many races…all be some craptastic…together! I love you! Can’t wait for LB 2010 ♥

3. Lara says:

Deciding on the spur of the moment to do 3 marathons, when you weren’t planning on doing ANY, is what I call AWESOME. The true spirit of running resides in you, my dear, and I love it!! And, yay for Claude! That’s what I wanted for Christmas this year. Maybe next year!

4. David says:

well-written! couldn’t have put it any better…running is my escape from work, bills, people, etc…it’s my tiny part of the day to just zone out and listen to great music!

and it sounds like i’ve had a better experience with nike+ than most, thankfully. once i callobrated it, it’s been incredibly accurate for months and months (for a non-GPS device) and their website is very motivating, i think!

5. cyberHag says:

Craptastic! My favorite and frequent kind! lol Happy New Year Momma! You rock;-)
    *subliminal message- not so subtle- LA MARATHON wants you!)

6. Natalie says:

Happy New Year, Danica! You really had an amazing year and I can’t wait to see what happens in 2010! You’re seriously such an inspiration. :)

7. Nice recap, ChicRunner! I’ve enjoyed sharing in your running adventures this year! You’ve had a fantastic year and you have a right to be proud.

As for Boston, I agree with you. It’s not that big of a deal and there will always be goals to shoot for even afterwards. You’ll get there in your time, when you’re ready. In the meantime, enjoy your running and have a very happy New Year!

8. Ann says:

For Boston you can just wait until you’re my age, then you just have to run sub4 to qualify, isn’t that great!?
    Thanks for getting to know you in Malibu and hope to see you out on the trails one day with Billy (he runs in my Sunday trailgroup), you should really try that, it’s a great way to enjoy running without the competitive edge. Have a great injury free and healthy 2010, a.

9. Galina says:

Happy New Year, Danica!

10. Happy New Year Danica – thanks for all of your help in 2009 – hoping our paths cross in 2010.

Take care,

Joe

11. Alina says:

Danica, You’re such an inspiration! Keep up the blogging and happy running. Happy New Year.

12. Glenn Jones says:

Danica – these past few posts have been the *coolest* ones. You’ve had the best of years and it’s been neat looking back an enjoying all your success. Thanks for taking the time and sharing with us.

I’m sure I’ll be seeing you around. Until then, have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

13. Denise says:

You had a great 2009! Congrats on well beyond your goals. Happy new year.

14. Marlene says:

What a great tribute to this sport. Here’s hoping that 2010 brings even more good things your way. Happy New Year!

15. Alisa says:

Staying happy that’s what it’s all about!

Glad you found Claude and your sub-4!!

16. Happy New Years amiga! 

17. CJ says:

Glad you had a great 2009 in running. Wishing you all the best in 2010!!

CJ

18. Shannon says:

Happy New Year! I’m hosting a giveaway that you may be interested in!

19. LyndsAU says:

You are awesome :) And one of my biggest running inspirations :) Here’s to 2010… and hopefully one day running a race together :) HUGS

20. Jess says:

Danica, I found your blog through one of my friends at work here in North Carolina and I just wanted to let you know how much you have inspired me to “get back out there” this year. Like you, I too ran cross country and track in high school and have run sporadically since then, but I really want to make it a part of my life on a regular basis again. I do half marathons here and there, but after reading your blog, I think one of my problems is that I get so obsessed with the training plan for my races that I get burnt out….and then don’t run AT ALL for months at a time until I sign up for another one. Not good. Your blog is so real and it makes me think that I too can do it…I can be a “runner” again! Thanks for that and good luck in all that you do this year. Can’t wait to read about your coming adventures in running!