Dear Legs.

Dear Legs,

We have spent 24 wonderful years together. We have been through thick and thin together. Kind of. Thankfully, you never got too thick, and all this running has surely helped you out. You are nice and long and treat me well and get me to many places. I am so thankful to have you. Luckily, you have never been broken or majorly hurt, which is a big plus! You know how to pedal on my beach cruiser, you have gotten me running over 800 miles this year alone, and gotten me through three marathons and numerous other races. We did that together little buddies! I know I told you after the San Diego Marathon I wouldn’t make you got the 26.2 distance ever again. I’m sorry I lied to you, I didn’t know what I was talking about at the time. I’m sorry I took advantage of you and if you didn’t know it, we have one more to go this year. One more! We can do it! Together!

And oh by the way, that 26.2er? It’s this weekend? Yay?! Please don’t give me that look. I’m sorry, I thought not telling you until it got really close would make it seem better. Bad idea?

Right now you are reminding me of two tree stumps stuck in the mud. I feel like every run I’m trying to drag you out of quicksand and you are stuck, stuck, stuck. Every time I run you seem to be really mad at me, when I thought we were friends here. I mean you can’t really go that far, we’re in this together. I know I don’t take the very best care of you that I could. I know, I know, I should stretch more or maybe at all, that might be beneficial. A warm up lap would also make a big difference but sometimes I just don’t have time. I could cool down, but I just… I have no really good excuse, but yea. I know you don’t like icing my ankles but it’s good for you! See, I do care about you! I know I bruise like a peach, and often times my legs are a minefield of little black splotches, but seriously, I don’t mean to be the biggest klutz and bump into everything, including my bed, my desk, my door frame and numerous walls in my house. I apologize! I’m sorry that I don’t use Theragesic as much as I should, and that I don’t get longer massages.

And those ice baths you hate? Seriously, they are so helpful! I am freezing too! Oh, now your bringing up the past? I know you took some pretty intense hits when I played soccer in high school, those girls were crazy! It’s not all completely my fault. And about running the hurdles in high school, yea, I got the knees pretty beat up on the 100s. The 300s were tough too. I realize.  I have beat you up in the past but at least I rarely wear heels! You have to give me some credit here.

I do appreciate you though, seriously. This year you have taken me great places. I never even guessed I would have run a full marathon in 2009, none the less closing in on my fourth one of the year this weekend. I remember running the Kaiser Half and PR-ing and feeling great the entire race! Then at Surf City we had a little hiccup together, but we made it through. Then we made it through that insane 6 day, 18 week (NEVER AGAIN) training plan for San Diego. Sadly, San Diego was a bad, bad day but we don’t discuss that day anymore thankfully. Then we rested and came back better than ever and romped Long Beach! Do you remember how great that felt? I know you loved running the streets of Long Beach. Come on! One more this year, we can do it together.

I know, I left out Malibu for a reason. That was a tough day, and yes, I know you were ashamed of that tutu. You looked good in it, but those chafe marks it left were a little hideous.  Those hills were pretty brutal and I do apologize, we were not prepared for that. That’s why we’ve been traveling on the different paths we have been. So we can get in a little more hill time and get a little stronger. I know you can make it another marathon, so dig deep here. We’ve been running hills so we won’t be so tired come mile 24 this weekend.

I promise if you get me through this weekend I will do anything for you! Wait, you want me to stop running? Well, what can we compromise on? I will get an extra long massage after CIM. I will ice you super well, and guess what, after CIM we can take a nice long break! Maybe, about a week sound good? We won’t run another marathon for at least three months! That’s how many marathons you’ve run in the LAST three months! We can go back to the track and work on speed work. I know you’d like that. Maybe we’ll run a short 5k! I know you love a good 5k.

I know, this weekend, kind of snuck up on us, huh? Can you pull your act together and stop feeling like you got ran over though? Please? I would really appreciate it!

Also, want to know a secret? I really want to start swimming… Just shhhhh don’t tell my arms. :)

32 Responses to Dear Legs.

Cute post girl! I can’t wait to meet you & hang out alllll weekend!!!!! :) i’ll have a lil chitchat with your legs when i see them– they better behave! your arms cant do everything!

:)xoxo

2. Jenn says:

What a cute post. I love everything about it…and I didn’t realize you ran your first full in 2009 – and are doing your FOURTH of the year. That’s amazing and is SERIOUSLY inspirational as I’m train fo rmy first full!

Bestof luck this weekend…I’m headed to Memphis to do a measly 1/2 :)

3. Dutch says:

Hilarious! My arms and legs have secret meetings to discuss their hatred of me!

4. Vic says:

Sooo cute! GOOD LUCK this weekend!

5. Morgan says:

I am seriously LMAO at this post. I did a similiar apology letter to my legs after the Gasparilla Half way back when in March… they kinda sorta listened. I hope this letter gets through to them and they run you to the Finish line of another great marathon! Good luck girl!!!

6. Amanda says:

That was awesome!! Good luck this weekend!

7. Don’t tell us you’re about to start getting interested in triathalons? You’re going to have all of your readers trying to keep up! Good luck on 26.2 again!

8. Kelly says:

Loved this! You’ll rock this weekend. I’ll be sending you happy thoughts.

9. Galina says:

Funny but true…Hey, good luck this Sunday! I’ll be thinking about you while running my 26.2 in Santa Barbara. This will be my 10th. I am thankful for my legs that have taken me this far.

10. Denise says:

my legs felt like fire hydrants the week before the marathon i just did…but on race day, they pulled through!! felt like a million bucks. you will too!

11. Rick says:

Your so funny.Good luck this weekend. I hope your two little friends cooperate on the 26.2.

12. Hethir says:

Hey, so proud of how far you and your legs have come. Best of luck this weekend. You are the fourth chika I am holding great racing energy for.

13. Marlene says:

LOL, hilarious letter! I hope those legs show you some mercy this weekend.

Swimming, huh??

14. I confess. I read this out loud to my legs and pretended I wrote it to them. I changed a few deets.

May the force be with us on Sunday. And our little legs too.

p.s. Hurry your ass up and get here already, I miss yoooouuuuu!!!

15. KatieA. says:

I laughed out loud at this one! Maybe your legs can talk to my legs when we finally get to see one another this weekend! Yay!
    Seriously though, freaking out a bit. That damn yellow singlet better be worth it! :)

16. aron says:

SWIMMING?!?!?! but you hate the water! lol

yayyyy come on legs! one more to go then time for a breaky! cant wait to see youuuuu <3

17. Jenn says:

You make me laugh. I pity your T-rex arms already!

18. Go rock your race ChicRunner! Yay for nice strong legs!
    I’m starting swimming classes after my marathon next week too!

19. So cute. Love your writing!

20. GirlonRaw says:

Brillaint post! I follow you on twitter but now I have added you to my blogroll. I am getting comfy and going to catch up on other posts :)

Love your blog design too. You deffo are chic darling x

21. Jessica says:

Very funny post! I, too, ran hurdles in high school…totally biffed it one day and scraped up my knees like a 5 year old learning to ride a 2 wheeler, too.

22. Jill says:

Great article!!! Very fun. Run like the wind this weekend – it’s going to be awesome!!

23. Joy says:

Very cute :)

Have a great run this weekend. Good luck!!!

24. Alisa says:

Nice! Those legs will appreciate the break but they’ve been troopers.

P.S. I LOVED the tutus!!!!

25. Bri says:

love this postt! I am a runner myself and i hope to run a marathon one day! I am a cross country and track runner and i absolutly love running! so i toally agree with everything you have said here!

26. Colleen says:

Yeah swimming!! Your arms will LOVE you. :)

Good luck this weekend!

27. Cory says:

Swimming, biking and running. You know what that sounds like. And you’ve been telling us you don’t like water.

Good luck this weekend.

28. cyberHag says:

So you are going for the Triathalon! lol

29. RoadBunner says:

ONE week off?! THREE months ’til another marathon. I think your legs need someone to renegotiate their contract :)

30. Ms.V says:

adorable. hope to see you there!

31. I love this! Can I print it and show it to my wimpy newbie runner legs?

BTW, definitely take up the swimming. The arms and legs don’t talk much because they’re in different cliques. Arms are much less prone to fits of inertia or tantrums, mine swim like fish even though my legs act like trunks.

Good luck on the 26.2, you’ll kill it!

32. Tara says:

Swimming through the water like little…uhhhhh HAHAHAHA you’re legs will get it together for Sunday I just know it! Then time for some well deserved TLC :)