2009 Races and Medals

So as I said yesterday in the video post, I am really going to have reflective posts every day this week about what I think this year has meant to me running wise and how ‘far’ I’ve come. This post I’ve taken pictures of all the medals I’ve got this year. Some were earned by placing in a race, but most were just from running the given race.

I started off the year running in the Kaiser Half Marathon in Irvine, CA and finished in 1:48:43, which was about a nine minute PR from my first half marathon ever in October. I really enjoyed that race and had a lot of fun that day. Then I ran in the Surf City half marathon. I really hated this race, and that’s why this year I hopefully can have revenge come February.

Surf City Half Marathon

1:46:00

Then I ran the Race on the Base 10k, which was a fun smaller race. I actually placed 3rd in my Age Group but didn’t have the best race. That was the race where I really realized I didn’t like 10ks.

Race On The Base 10k

49:54

Somehow I got sucked into running a trail run. I liked to think of this trail run as the march of death. It was a 25k (15 miles) and I was DEAD after that for a good week. The hills of Malibu killed me. But, I did complete the Malibu Creek 25k in 3:38:51. Then we had the glorious San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon aka the worst race ever. Ah, what memories. Oddly enough this is also hands down the ugliest medal I have too. Really? A wind-surfer? Yuck. I hate you San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon.

San Diego Marathon ( My first Marathon )

4:28:38

I was going to run a half marathon in March, but had a crazy cough so I opted out and ran the 5k instead in the Wine Country 5k in Paso Robles. I was an idiot and lost the key to the car and had to loop back around mid-race to find it. I also wasn’t wearing my garmin, so I am pretty sure I finished around 27:05. It’s a funny story though.

In April I ran the Seal Beach 10k. I also took this race to a weird new level by running 2 miles to the start, running the race and then running the 2 miles back home. I finished with a time of 50:34 for that race.

Then I went up to San Francisco to complete the CA Dreamin’ series, which was the reason I ran my first half marathon back in October of 2008, in Long Beach. I ran Surf City in February, and then completed the series with the San Francisco half in July. It was a blast and really got me back into thinking about running another marathon.

San Francisco Half Marathon

2:02:45

Since I completed the CA Dreamin’ Series I got one of my favorite medals, this BEAST!

Then I ran a 5k at Angel Stadium for fun with a friend. It was really a fun course and I placed first in my age group!

Guy Poncy Memorial 5k

23:39

Then, as you all know, I ran the Long Beach Marathon looking for redemption and had the best day of my life. It was everything I’ve ever wanted and I love the medal from that race. It was the star of my small Christmas tree this year.

Long Beach Marathon

3:55:37

Then I ran the Nike Human Race 10k, which was fun and not very competitive, and I really enjoyed the race.

USC Human Race 10k

48:59

Then we had the Heroes for Hope 10k, where I also placed first in my age group. I really pushed myself that race and it paid off. I got a new PR!

Heroes for Hope 10k

47:45

Shortly after that I ran the Malibu Marathon, in a tutu. It was a fun but tiring race and that is where I started to deteriorate health wise. Too many races! ha ha.

Malibu Marathon

4:14:01

I finished off the year with the California International Marathon in Sacramento which was the demise of me. Seriously. So cold. That is the only way I can describe that race. But I finished, and became a Marathon Maniac!

California International Marathon

4:22:32

Compared to 2008, where I ran ONE half marathon, and ONE 5k, I guess you can say that I went a little race crazy!

I raced two 5ks (3.1 miles), four 10ks (6.2 miles), 3 half marathons (13.1 miles), one 25k (15 miles) and four full marathons (26.2 miles).

So overall, this year has been a great year full of many medals from many different events. I can’t wait to reveal what races I want to run next year!

35 Responses to 2009 Races and Medals

1. Great post! Looks like you had a fantastic year! I really want to run Surf City JUST for that medal! They are always so cute!

Have a happy New Year!!

2. Morgan says:

OOOooooo look at all that Bling!!! I still think you are absolutely insane for those last few races you did but hey now you are a maniac and I PRAY you don’t do that to your body again! :) Cheers to a great year girl!!!

3. Magda @MagdaCG says:

You had a fantastic running year! CONGRATS on completing your first marathon and then completing 3 more! YOU ROCK!!! Are you a Marathon Maniac yet? I’m #1911! SO.MUCH.FUN!! Wishing you a KICK @SS 2010!

4. Bella says:

Wow, that’s a lot of races for one year. Congrats on the great results!

5. Madison says:

Wow! Congrats on an amazing year! 4 Marathons?!? You deserve the “maniac” title!

6. Danica – wow, what a year. Amazing all of the miles you covered, people you met and friends you made – you remain a great source of motivation as I tackle this 2 marathon in 2 weeks battle for my friend this spring.

Thanks for all you do! Have a wonderful New Year.

Joe

7. Wow!! What an amazing year of races you had! I would be sooo proud of myself if I were you :) You’re awesome and once again you are super motivating. I can’t wait to hear what next year holds for you! My first half is coming up Jan 17…so close!!

8. nicole says:

2009 was a great year of races for you D! I’m so proud of you! You kicked butt! :)

9. Stuart says:

Nice set of bling! Malibu Creek…fun times!

I like the Guy Pocy medal!

10. What an amazing year of accomplishments! Isn’t it amazing looking at all of that bling lined up together and knowing that YOU did all of it?! You are a maniac!! I can’t wait to hear what you’ve got planned in 2010!

11. Alisa says:

This is a great post. I have something similar lined up in my drafts pile.

You were definitely a maniac this year. I love the “beast” medal, so pretty! Maybe in 2011 I’ll come down for Surf City.

Can’t wait to hear what your plans are for 2010!

12. Kristen says:

Wow! You were busier than I knew this year! Congrats on a lot of huge successes! :)

13. Angielou Harris says:

Wow — what a year for you! And it has been such a pleasure following your trials and tribulations on chicrunner! Looking forward to an even more exciting 2010!

…and that’s an ugly kitesurfer, not an ugly windsurfer ;-)

14. Kelly says:

So much bling in your life! You had an amazing year I hope you are just as successful next year! Can’t wait to see what 2010 has in store for you.

15. David says:

wow…not that girls can’t run fast, but your times are incredible! definitely something to be proud of! (or is it ‘something of which to be proud’? the tiny hairs on my neck just stood straight up as i subconciously felt my junior high english teacher slapping me on the neck with her ruler for ending a sentence with a preposition.

but yeah–congrats! what was the temperature for the Sac-run?

16. You did SO many races this year, wow girl! You rock!

17. Astro says:

Congrats on a great year. Keep healthy so you do not wear out at the end of 2010.

Fortune telling – I see a Boston qualifying in your future without you actually trying for it.

18. Betsy says:

10Ks are EVIL!!!!! I’m with you on that one.

What a year for you though! Well done :)

19. Great post, ChicRunner…and all your medals look so colorful and pretty! I’m so jealous that you can get such nice bling for 10ks and half marathons! Here in NY, we get a banana and a bagel if we’re lucky…Haha! Great job on running so well this year! I know there’ll be more awesomeness to come next year! Can’t wait!

20. x-country2 says:

It wasn’t necessarily a “race”, but your walk for breast cancer is one of your greatest 2009 accomplishments, in my opinion. :o)

21. Sydney Hunter says:

Cool post! It is funny how we carry such bad memories with us about particular races. I feel the same way about the OC Marathon as the way you do about the SD Rock and Roll. At least we have some good ones to make up for it!

22. Love it! I might have to “borrow” your idea for a post!

23. Marlene says:

That is some serious bling! What a year!

24. Felice says:

Great job in 2009! Love all the medals pics.

25. Sara says:

Loved seeing all your medals! That is a hUge accomplishment!!! sorta funny.. I did a 1/2 marathon and a 5k in 2009, same amount as your 2008, however, I know my 2010 will not reflect your 2009! :) That is AMAZING!

26. liane says:

Wow, that is a serious amount of races you completed this year! Congrats! :)

27. carpeviam says:

Love this post! So fun to see your accomplishments!

28. Ms.V says:

WHAT A CUTE POST.

29. Rinus says:

WOW, you run a lot of marathons this year, goodjob marathoner!.
    you wil run more marathons in 2010 and maiby a ultra trail run ;-).
    Run whit fun and have a good run year 2010.
    Rinus.

30. loved this post- I’ve never even met you, but I was so proud just reading your year in review. You are unreal woman. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.

31. KatieA. says:

I can totally relate: 2009 was the year of the races for me! I too, got burnt out. You did awesome this year: keep this post handy so that you can pull it out when your having motivation trouble! :)

32. Elle says:

Wow! What a busy year you’ve had… encourages me to finally one that marathon myself!

33. I love all your medals!! You have such a drive that inspires me to get back into Marathons! Happy New Year!

34. Sasha says:

Congrats on all your accomplishments this year! So fun to see it all it one post. Happy New Year!

35. Lisa says:

That’s a LOT of medals for one year! I want that California Dreamin’ medal! :-)