Wrong side of the Bed + 4 miles

This morning I woke up in miserable, I hate my life, I don’t want to do anything today, grumpy, grouchy mood. Last night I couldn’t fall asleep, and when I did sleep it was awful. I was too hot, then I was too cold, then my blankets were not cooperating, and I kept waking up. I knew my 6:00 am wake up call would be much too early when I finally found myself drifting off at 1 am. My alarm went off and I grumbled. I didn’t want to get up. I didn’t want to run. I didn’t want to be sweaty and my legs are still sore from my race this weekend. Why did I have to run? I’ll just run tomorrow. Then one of my good friends Kelly reminded me that running would probably make me feel better. My friend Maritza told me this, “Finish each day & be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders & absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can.Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” -R.W. Emerson.

Okay! Okay! I need to run, I get it! I begrudgingly got out of bed.

I pulled on my puma shorts and my long sleeve tee and pulled my hair back into the regular ponytail. Once I started lacing up my new pink nike vomeros a small smile crept onto my face. At least I could wear my new shoes. I opened the front door and was greeted by bright blue skies and crisp air. I decided to run alongside the marina so I took off through the neighborhoods surrounding my house. Claude found satellite quickly and before I knew it I was at the marina and the water was a perfect reflection of the sky, it was like a mirror. The seagulls were flying above my head dotting the blue sky like little puffs of smoke. Okay, my life isn’t that bad.

I can run. I can breathe. I can get out of bed every morning. Sometimes it’s just all about putting one foot in front of the other. The crisp air allowed me to see a hint of my breath as I ran. My shadow showed my ponytail flying behind me, another comforting thing that I love to see when I run. People were friendly and my smile slowly grew as the garmin chirped away the miles. I passed the bay and saw the crew team, which always makes me smile. The firemen waved at me as I passed their station and they cleaned their truck. All the cars stopped for me at cross walks. Morning air filled my lungs and the sun shone down on me illuminating my path ahead. I saw two funny dogs playing with stuffed ducks on the front lawn of a goregous home.

My life may not be perfect, but it’s my life, and I’m so blessed to have a job, to have great friends who are there for me through everything, to have met so many wonderful people, to be able to write about whatever I want. I seriously can’t believe it. I was in such a bad mood, and yet my run made me realize that my pity party was going to be short lived. As I write this and listen to Arcade Fire, I realize that with each step I take, I take a path to a journey unknown, but I’m ready to embrace that journey.

Then I realized this weekend I’m running ANOTHER marathon. I CAN run another marathon. I get to run another marathon. Not only am I running another marathon, but I’m running it with two of my best friends, who live in northern california who I don’t see that often. I’m so lucky to have them in my life. I’m so lucky, I can run.

So that’s what I’ll keep doing. I’ll keep going. I’ll keep running.

IMG_2473

42 Responses to Wrong side of the Bed + 4 miles

1. Kyla Roma says:

I love how you turn this around & make this about how every day is a journey & a privilege. I did the same thing today with yoga, sometimes rolling out of bed to invest in yourself is the best way to get up on the right side of it.

2. Kelly says:

I’m glad I could be an inspiration because you inspire me every day to keep running and keep racing. Thanks for being such a great friend!

P.S. I too love Arcade Fire which just goes to show we are totally bff.

3. Janna says:

What a great outlook! :) your morning thus far sounds delightful! When things look down, just remember days like today, and that your post has inspired others and put a smile on their face, as well! Have a great remainder of your day, and thanks for the positive post!!!

4. PP&MS says:

Hang in there :) I hate days like that, but I am glad you found a way to get past it. I hope things get easier soon!

5. Yay! I’m glad you were feeling the quote today too…it was a day that I needed it as well.

I can get the grumps too and you are totally right – it’s about remembering how blessed we are to be healthy, alive, roofs over our heads, food on the table, and the love of family and friends. We are lucky.

Now let’s kick some marathon ass! (P.S. I’m actually more excited about our slumber party the night before than the race….is that bad??? Hahahaha!)

6. Brooke says:

Love those runs that remind you of how great life is… and Arcade Fire will definitely keep that good mood going :)

7. Lo says:

I needed to read this today! Thank you ma’am! :)

8. Anna says:

Great post! I hate those nights you just can’t fall sleep and nothing is going your way. This post helps me remember why I run. When you run no one can take anything away from you no one disturb you, make a sly comment, see the dance you are doing in your head to your favorite song. Thanks for always reminding me how empowering running is.

9. Oh girl! You did it to me again! You are so inspiring!! I have been in a real running rut. I’ve been training for what feels like forever for my half and I’m starting to get burnt out on the shorter runs. BUT you have just made me all happy and excited to go home and run tonight :)

10. I love your honesty and the fact that even you have mornings when you aren’t feeling it. I totally felt this way on Friday but then I got out there, the sun was shining, and I felt incredible. It’s so important to remember how amazing it feels and that you can’t get yesterday back.

11. Morgan says:

And just like that, all was right in the world again. :)

12. You always have the best outlook!

13. Lisa says:

Great post. I need to remember to look at the positives instead of the negatives. I’ll think of this post next time I don’t want to run.

14. Jamie says:

Running really is great therapy. I think its normal to wake up “on the wrong side of the bed” sometimes but its important to realize what you have and to be happy and thankful for that! Good post!

15. Shannon says:

Great job! I’m glad you got out of bed and everything turned around!

16. Abbie says:

I’ve been going through this for weeks! It’s amazing how something can turn it all around.

17. Abbie says:

What a good outlook. I agree, running helps me put my life in perspective sometimes.

18. Marlene says:

You brought a smile to my face with this post. It’s important to appreciate the little things sometimes.

19. What an inspirational post! Good luck this weekend!!

20. Jaime says:

I love that outlook – and how running can make so many things better. :)

21. Amy says:

Oh I love this. Sometimes my worst mornings are my best runs. Not always, but sometimes.

Have fun in Malibu this weekend! You girls are going to be sooo cute.

22. Good for you! “Tomorrow is another day,” is a phrase I tell myself ALL THE TIME.

PS: Gorgeous photo!

I love that the shoes helped get you out the door! :)

24. Katie says:

I needed that for motivation out the door I go for at least 3 miles. Won’t kill me will make me stronger ;) Even though I don’t want to.

25. Billy Burger says:

It’s just that simple Danica. Atta gal.

26. Milltini says:

I had a very similar thing happen to me yesterday. I had a pretty rough day, but went for a late night run when I got home from the office and it did me a world of good!

27. kristen says:

I’m glad it turned around for you. Isn’t running great!!

I just read your race report. Your awesome!! Doesn’t matter how small that race was — you were smokin fast!

p.s. I like the big picture format.

p.s.s. love the article. You better get that baby scanned pronto so we can all read it!

28. aron says:

looooove when a run can turn around my bad mood :) it always seems to work!

29. Es says:

I loved this post. Sometimes I feel this way as well, but you’re right, the small things in life (like running) bring so much joy to my life and then I realize that everything is okay and that my life is good. Whenever I feel like I am not at the point where I want to be in my life I just remember that I ran two marathons and that so much is possible if you just put your mind to it.

And I love getting new shoes and running in them for the first time =)

30. J says:

I had that same feeling this morning of not wanting to get out of bed and run. But once I got up and was outside I really enjoyed it! Except here its like 40 degrees outside lol! Great post!

31. Spike says:

oooh, Arcade Fire rocks. nobody around here knows them, and they are forever lame because of it.

I love early morning runs like that, they keep me going.

32. Cut La Rock says:

The key sentence in this entire post is “I CAN run a marathon”. That alone is reason enough to smile. There are so many people in this world that CAN’T run a marathon for a myriad of reasons. There’s no avoiding the blues now and again, but getting out and doing the things you’ve been blessed with is almost always the best way to get over it, IMO.

Awesome read!

33. LOVE the view! Wish I had something as pretty as that here in DC!

34. Alisa says:

I love this post! You can run another marathon and you guys are going to have so much fun I can’t wait to see the tutus.

Sometimes it is just getting out the door and then you realize how lucky you are. I ran this morning with my co-worker without music and just listened to the ducks whacking and the sound of my own feet hitting the ground…it was kinda awesome!

35. Shannon says:

Just thought I’d stop by and let you know that Nike has some Boy shorts on sale that look similar to your shorty shorts!

36. I just wanted to say that I love your positive attitude. You are always so cheerful and I think that’s pretty refreshing!

37. Tara says:

I feel ya on being grumpy! Ifelt like that on Monday, but morning runs always make me feel so grateful for everything :) I can’t wait to see you this weekend! MALIBOOOOZZZIIIIEEEEE ♥♥♥

38. Joy says:

Perfectly written, girl. You turned the day around BEAUTIFULLY!

39. Colleen says:

It’s funny because that’s exactly how I felt yesterday, and I knew going for a run or bike ride would help, but I didn’t do it. Today I did to it, and what a difference it made! We ARE truly blessed to be able to run!

This is just how I feel about running. You can’t help but feel better when you go out for a run.

Great read!