Spectating is a sport too and sign ideas!

This morning I was hoping to get my groove back but it will have to wait until this evening. Last night I got a massage which is something I try to do every month when I start to feel really run down. My muscles and body starts to get tired and my legs start to feel really heavy on my longer distances. I usually get a sports massage and work a lot on my shoulders as well. I have a lot of scar tissue in my neck and shoulder blades and working that out hurts, but I know in the long run will make my shoulders feel much better. So I walked into my massage therapists office,

Therapist: “So I haven’t seen you in about a month, what are we working on today?”

Me: “Well, since I’ve last seen you, I’ve…um, run another marathon…”

Therapist: “Again? You would. Every time I see you you’re running another marathon. Do you do anything else?”

So that went swimmingly. When I left I said, “Welp, I have one more to go for the rest of the year, so I’ll see you after that one!” There may or may not have been an audible sigh. :) Some people just don’t understand!

I was planning on running this morning but had a lot of trouble sleeping last night so I put in my earplugs and don’t remember my alarm going off, turning it off, or anything. So tonight or tomorrow or Friday, I’m guessing my best bet is on Friday sometime, I hope to get in an 8 miler that battles Eminem. I really want to get some speed in before CIM and where my legs finally don’t feel like giant tree stumps stuck in the mud. I want to get in a decent longer run with good splits so thanksgiving turkey can you bring me that gift wrapped and dropped on my doorstep with a giant pink bow on it just for me? I would be very thankful! I want great splits throughout the run, perfect weather, easy breathing and then hopefully that will renew my hope that I can hopefully sub four again at CIM in 9 days. Yup, I said it, maybe a little goal slipped in to this post, but we’ll see as race day approaches. Bottom line is that I want to get to that finish line in one piece so that I can hopefully join the marathon maniac ranks!

Sadly, I’m not running any turkey trot this Thanksgiving but I’m actually going to be spectating at one right by my house that my cousins are running. Every day when I drive to work I see the big Turkey Trot sign and it makes me want to sign up for it so bad! It’s like the Turkey is taunting me that I can’t run! I just have the urge to run a 5k really fast lately. I think I could break my time, and all this talk of trotting with turkeys just sounds too fun. Also, one of my best friends will be running the 10k and is going to try to beat my pr time! I think he will, and it will be really fun to be spectating and cheering! I’m going to make a fun sign and I realized I need to get a cowbell for any other races I might spectate in the future.

I’m also going to ride my bike around to see how many spots I can cheer for him! I’m excited and it should be fun to be ‘on the other side’ of the course. I haven’t spectated a race in a while, probably since the end of the San Francisco Marathon, and that was hilarious and fun. I really like yelling at everyone, and everyone seems so happy when you cheer for them! It’s like well, I’m out here already I might as well just be crazy and yell for everyone!

So what sign should I make? Obviously, it has to be for a 10k. His name is Jeff, so any good ideas? They can be as funny or crass as you want! Ha, ha. I love inappropriate signs along the course. Here are the ones below that I’ve made before with Tara and Maritza for the SFM.

IMG_3452

On another note, I am so excited to eat mashed potatoes.

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

18 Comments

• Reply Seth

How ’bout:
    Run like you stole something!

November 25, 2009 at 9:06 am
  • Reply CharmCityKim

I saw a few funny ones in Philly:
    “Chuck Norris Never Ran a Marathon!”
    “That’s not sweat – its your fat cells crying”

And this one (the last sign with picture) made me laugh out loud: http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2009/11/all-signs-point-to-hilarity.html

November 25, 2009 at 9:14 am
  • Reply KatieA.

Like we said before, you and I are in the same boat girly! Legs are like lead and heart is heavy! But even if it kills me, you and I will be Maniacs after Dec. 6th! I’m running a 10K Turkey Trot tomorrow – god only knows how that’s gonna go.
    BTW, I am WICKED excited for some mashed potatoes!!!
    Have a good Turkey day girly! :)

November 25, 2009 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Alisa

I still standby my sign “toenails are for sissys”…or the “it’s rude to count the people you pass..OUT LOUD.”

And, you can always sneak in a mile or two for my virtual trot!

November 25, 2009 at 10:20 am
  • Reply Shannon

I like Alisa’s 2nd sign (above). And mmmm stuffing!!

November 25, 2009 at 10:26 am
  • Reply aron

i loooove spectating :) have fun girlie and happy thanksgiving!

November 25, 2009 at 10:39 am
  • Reply Cory

My two favorite from the link CharmCityKim posted.

there was also a woman holding a sign that said, “You can run 13.1 miles? You must have stamina! Call me!” and it had her phone number.

and

Who fartlek’d?

November 25, 2009 at 10:44 am
  • Reply Marlene

Some funny, funny sign ideas! hahahaha

Have fun spectating and Happy Thanksgiving!

November 25, 2009 at 11:24 am
  • Reply Anonymous

Can I spread some of that duck butter on my hot and toasty thanksgiving buns.

November 25, 2009 at 12:18 pm
  • Reply Tara

Oh how I love my tried and true ” Endurance on the track, endurance in the sack”!!! or perhaps to go with the Thanksgiving day theme “put more gobble, in your wobble” and have a pic of a turkey running…hahahaha

November 25, 2009 at 12:26 pm
  • Reply JennyLikesToRun

Bahaha! Those signs are LEGEND! :D I wish someone would hold signs like that for ME when I’m racing!
    I like them all :]

You are seriously amazing to run 4 marathons in one year lol. That’s more than half the worlds population could dream of running in their LIFE!

Damn… a sports massage… that’s something I wouldn’t mind trying.

November 25, 2009 at 12:44 pm
  • Reply Jessica

I love the “Free Kiss if you PR” sign…very cute!

November 25, 2009 at 1:57 pm
  • Reply Christina

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!! Enjoy your mashed pots!

November 25, 2009 at 2:14 pm
  • Reply Keri

My favorite one I saw in Philly said: “Hurry up, MY legs are starting to hurt!” I guess thats more appropriate for a marathon but still cute :)

November 25, 2009 at 2:49 pm
  • Reply Janice

My friends made me a sign once that said “Put your big girl panties on and deal with it” Loved it.

November 25, 2009 at 8:17 pm
  • Reply Rachael

Happy Turkey Day tomorrow!
    Did you ever see the moving “Juno”? If not, go.get.it.now. otherwise, “pork swords” anyone? I think this little diddle can be used on a sign, especially for a guy running …

November 25, 2009 at 11:10 pm
  • Reply Nicole

i’m talking to the turkey gods and making sure you get your run in! help me sub 4 d!!!! together with T we 3 will sub 4! helll yeah!!!

have fun at being a spectator today!! i wish i was running one too but we have breakfast at grams @ 9:30 so its hardly possible!!!

happy thanksgiving!!

p.s. i’m so excited for mashed potatoes too!!!

November 26, 2009 at 6:47 am
  • Reply Alyssa

“Nipple chafing turns me on.”
    hahahaha! You inspired me to go all out next time I spectate.

November 26, 2009 at 8:07 am