hi-ho, hi-ho, back to the gym I go…

Last night I made a meek attempt at re-introducing myself to the gym. I haven’t worked out any type of muscle in over a week and I finally felt good enough to return. Traffic was horrific after work and it took me an hour and half to get to the gym, which normally would only have taken me thirty minutes. Obviously, when I finally got to the gym I was in somewhat of a sour mood. I did the rowing machine, some free weights and then the spin bike for thirty minutes. When I was on the spin bike I got a little coughy, and I got some stares from those surrounding me. I felt bad but I REALLY needed to work out.

I feel like I’ve become one of those people who becomes a very mean person if I can’t run or workout. Really? Is that what my life has become? I HAVE to run to be happy? Man, who would have thought it would reach that point? Working out and running does make me very happy though, and even though it wasn’t the greatest workout last night, I’m still glad I made it through it and surprisingly I’m not sore today, double bonus.

I felt like when I was sick and couldn’t work out I was grumpy and in a sour mood. I still feel a little remnants of that since I have yet to run. I considered it last night at the gym but I just didn’t want to be too coughy on the treadmill and I didn’t want to push myself too hard and become sick again. Soon, hopefully. I feel so boring without running in my life and like I have nothing to talk about. Am I really that boring?

I’m starting to freak out a little bit about Malibu though. It’s like, um, TWELVE days away. I have to run a marathon in 12 days and I haven’t ran in over a week. It’s just that the days just keep getting shorter and shorter and the countdown is seemingly slipping through my fingers. 12 days? I need to get my act together.

On a completely unrelated note, if you haven’t heard of Ke$ha “Tik-Tok” immediately add that to your playlist! I love it and may have listened to it on repeat for a good 10 minutes last night at the gym.

22 Responses to hi-ho, hi-ho, back to the gym I go…

1. Patience says:

If I don’t work out or get a run in every single day I am in a bad mood. I have been reading your blog for a long time and I am certain you will do great at the marathon.

2. Jess says:

I’m the same way with working out and my moods. Last Friday I was in such a bad mood when I got home from work that I had to run before the BF came over or else I’d be crabby around him too.

3. Alex says:

I am totally bitchy lately and I sum it all up to the fact that I can’t run. It makes me happy and right now I am miserable!

4. Marlene says:

YAY for getting back to the gym. (BOO for traffic, though). Must feel good to be working out again.

5. Morgan says:

Holy crap 12 days! Ahhhhhhh!!! I’m freaking for you!

6. Ms.V says:

I’m sure you’ll be fine at Malibu because you have a great base.

Yes, I’m cranky when I can’t run because it reminds me of all the times and years I didn’t do ANYTHING.

Cheers!

7. Alisa says:

You’ll do great! You guys are doing Malibu for run, right?

8. Amanda says:

I bet you’ll be fine for Malibu since you’ve got a nice base.

9. Bootchez says:

I’m glad that you’re feeling better. I’m *waiting* for that to happen to me, the “get grumpy if I don’t run” phenomenon, but it has yet to appear. Lucky you! I want to BE one of “Those People”!

10. Shannon says:

I’m the same way – I haven’t ran since my half marathon and I feel FAT and CRANKY!!

I love that song – It made my playlist about 3 weeks ago. :0)

11. J says:

I am sure you will do great in the marathon! just take it one step at a time!

12. aron says:

just think of those 12 days as tapering :)

ugg and yes i am not nice when i cant run!

13. jeri says:

ahhh that’s my new running jam too. it’s pretty good. :)

14. KatieA. says:

You will be fine! Just think, fresh leggs for you! I have a marathon in 4 days- I am freaking on that!
    And yes, I am a complete and utter Beotch when I can’t run. I need therapy actually when I can’t! Feel better girly! :)

15. Madeline says:

Don’t feel bad about feeling bad! You’re probably just used to having a certain level of endorphins (happy hormones) from working out regularly. I’m sure that even though you haven’t run in a week, you’re still capable of 26.2 miles! Good luck!

16. Melanie says:

I know what you mean… life just feels OFF when you’re not doing the things that kind of drive you.

And hey, don’t worry much about Malibu. Taking this time off to get better won’t hurt your running too much. And besides, the time off may be the kind of rest you need to have incredibly fresh legs that day!

17. Rachael says:

Oh you’ll do great at Malibu!
    So how has the spinning been working out for you? I’ve never tried it, I’m scared I’m going to look like a tard trying to use a bike …

Aww your still sick hun! I hope you feel better soon! THat sounds just awful! Way to work through it at the gym & still get a good workout in. I notice i get kind of crazy if i dont run either- sadly i am becoming that person too! lol! hope you can get some decent runs in this week! xoxo

19. carpeviam says:

I LOVE that song! Just added a few weeks back. So great to run to! Yay!

20. kristen says:

You say it like getting grumpy if you don’t get to work out is a bad thing?!

That song is weird….in a good way!

21. Tara says:

I get super cranky when I can’t run or workout especially if it’s because I’m sick :( glad you’re feeling better finally!