Fly High Turkeys!

So yesterday I spectated the Belmont Shore Turkey Trot 5k/10k. Let’s just say I’m glad I didn’t run this race after all because it seemed a little unorganized, it wasn’t chipped time, and you pretty much could kill yourself at the finish line with the route they had it go. No one was directing it at the end and you went through this crazy turn through pillars. It is a really good event on the upside because it does get a lot of people out on the streets and raises a ton of money for charity, so I guess I won’t bash too hard.

So my friend and I stayed up really late on Wednesday making pretty much legit posters and I had a brilliant idea to make a turkey to wear on my back while we rode our bikes around. Genius, I tell you.

IMG_3943

So while this guy was cruising on my back, I also made another sign that said, “Fly High Turkeys!” With my friend’s name and number on it. It was suppose to be a joke, since DUH! Turkeys don’t fly, but many people didn’t get that joke. Anyways, my super artistic friend made a sign and hand drew that turkey! Her sign said put more gobble in your wobble. People loved them! They kept gobbling at us, and that was a little weird.

IMG_3946

IMG_3949

After we met up with everyone after the race I put the turkey on the front and it was even funnier. Making that turkey was the best idea, coloring that poster board brown? Not fun.

IMG_3948

My cousin Olie Dos ran her first 10k!! I was so proud of her and she did so great even broke 60 minutes for the 10k! Only last year at the same turkey trot was her first 5k, I told her before she knows it she’ll be running a marathon!

IMG_3947

Here’s all of us with Jeff! He did great too and made us laugh each time we saw him. He was throwing out peace signs and doing funny things while running. He is hands down the funniest guy I know.

IMG_3951

Hooray for Turkey Trots and spectating! It was such a nice day out and after I was done spectating I thought, well this is a great time to get in a short run. I put on my tank and the moment I started I realized how hot it was outside. By the time I got to mile 3, I was drenched in sweat and so tired. SICK. I felt like I jumped in a pool. I haven’t run in heat like that in a long time! Then I saw the cutest dog, and I turned around to look at it again and totally fell off the curb and just kind of slow motion fell into the street and rolled around. I looked around and made sure that no one saw it and then I think I pretended to tie my shoe? I just got up and kept going and thought to myself, wait, did that just happen?! But yes, yes it did.

After family festivus and a little night out on the town with my friends I got up fairly early to run my dreaded 8 miles this morning. My legs are tiiiiiiiiired. I started off good and held about a 8:30 pace until mile 6 and then a bird decided to take a dump on my hair and I washed it out in the next fountain I saw and I just kind of let it go from there and finished around a 9:30 pace for the last two miles. I feel like I’m running through mud. It was already getting fairly warm when I was out there again.

8 more days till CIM. Let’s do this so I can get that freaking Marathon Maniacs singlet. That is my reason for living this week. That dang yellow jersey.

Check back on MONDAY for some SWEET deals I’ve scored for you guys!!!! :)

35 Responses to Fly High Turkeys!

1. Melissa says:

Turkey costume = brilliant idea. Good luck on CIM!!

2. Natalie says:

Love the turkey!

I can totally picture you doing a stealth ninja roll. I’m sure it was much more graceful than my falls where I just flail wildly.

3. Anders says:

Excellent costume. And the pretending to tie your shoe bit? Classic.

Keep up the great work!

Anders
    athletesmilk.com

4. Oblivion says:

Awesome signs and spectating. Good luck at CIM!

One nit-pick – turkeys fly quite well (up to about 35 miles per hour). They even roost up in trees at night. Well, wild turkeys do, anyway. Domesticated, overbred ones, not so much.

5. Alisa says:

Nice costumes, that’s a great idea!

CIM is almost here!!!!!!!!

6. You and your costumes!

Well, it won’t be hot in Sac-town, so you got that going for you…which is nice. (Not sure if you’re a Caddyshack fan, so you might not get that joke.)

7. Jill says:

LOL. I was following you on Twitter yesterday. Cute posters and Turkey! It’s awesome that you were there for support!

8. Bahahaha, doesn’t get much more awesome than a turkey costume :D Can’t wait to hear how you go with your next marathon!

9. LA Daze says:

Hahahaha oh my gosh a bird took a dump in your hair? Pretty darn good aim. And you took a tumble looking at a cute dog? You’re too funny!

10. Marlene says:

LOVE IT! Best costume ever.

11. Glenn Jones says:

We’ll have to see if we can get a Sea Gull to crap in your hair next weekend. Good luck at CIM! Wish I could say that I’d like to be there, but Sacto just doesn’t rate in my book of places I like going to….

12. Spike says:

awesome costume and signs…but where is the picture of you using your iPhone?

13. laurel says:

I LOVE the turkey outfit!!! L.O.V.E!

14. Jordan says:

Your super artistic friend is super attractive… that is all, haha

15. Jodi says:

So happy you were there to root me on (even though you were really there for Jeff, haha). Loved the signs! Thanks for cheering for me!

16. Stuart says:

More gobble in your wobble…so so wrong!

17. Billy Burger says:

you are too silly + funny…great job out there cheerleader. And good luck at CIM, my soon-to-be fellow Maniac!

18. Tara says:

that turkey KILLS me! haha love it! I can’t wait for CIM to be over so I can be a fellow maniac! ♥

19. Jeffy Weffy says:

Thanks for crisin out, and those signs were so awesome! The turkey was legit as well. I would make a sign for your marathon but I draw like a 2 year old, spell about as well as a box full of rubber door handles, and will not be going up north. Good luck, have fun, and and be sure to put the SAC back in sacramento:)

20. TriGirl says:

Bonjour! Five things: 1. Turkeys can fly (but I see Anders already mentioned that). I never knew they could, either, until I saw one fly up into a tree… I freaked!! That is one big bird to be flying so high! 2. I wore the ifitness belt I won from you again today for another half marathon (where I PRd – yay!) I love it! 3. A spectator at today’s race had a funny homemade sign that made me think of you. It read: “Run like you did when the police were chasing you.” Not that you’ve ever been chased by the police… it’s just that you are always making funny signs… 4. I have been dumped on by a bird not once, not twice, but THREE times! I’m told it means “Good Luck” and 5. Kick butt at your next marathon! I bet it’s your best yet! :)

21. TriGirl says:

Oooops! I meant “Oblivion” not “Anders”. My bad!!

22. Leah says:

Hey girl!

There is definitely a big difference between runs put together for charity and those that are legit races! I realized that last year at the Thanksgiving Day 5k where the finish was CHAOTIC and no chip timing, etc. This year they had chip timing but then had WAY more people than they expected and weren’t able to accomidate those registering late with the chip (I was one! URGH!!!) so I feel ya!

Your costume and signs are cute! Glad you enjoyed cheering on your friends.

Glad you got your 8 miler in and stayed safe even with your fall!

Run like the wind…
    Leah

23. Don’t you know that when a bird poops on your head an angel gets it’s wings? hahaha

Love the turkey!!! Too funny! :)

24. Es says:

I know your cousin isn’t related to you by blood, but in the photo with the three of you I had a hard time figuring out which one was you at first. You two look really similar! Any your turkey signs look great! nice work! :)

25. Dorothy says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE your turkey!

26. Joy says:

Loving the costume & posters! I’m sure the runners appreciated it :)

Not so good about falling THEN getting bird poop in your hair. Maybe it’s good to get all that goofy stuff out of the way then enjoy some fantastic running at CIM!

27. You are the queen of the giant cardboard THING. I died when I saw that. Love your recent forays into costuming. Wishing you the best on your grad school apps!

28. Tiffany says:

So cute! Love it!

29. betty says:

I love that turkey!! I ran a Turkey Trot too =)

30. KatieA. says:

You crack me up! I was reading the tweets all that day and laughing so hard! Glad your okay!
    And you and I are in the same boat! I don’t want to run on Sunday but damn it! I want that fugly yellow jersey!
    Can’t wait to meet up with you! :)

31. Sarah says:

love the costume, Danica! I ran a turkey trot too and would have loved to see a turkey cheering me on!

32. Melanie says:

Love love love the turkey outfit!

33. Natalie says:

I’m the crazy girl during the 8:30a 10k that screamed “Hi Danica!” and was a little star struck (hehe) like a crazy stalker. Love the look you gave me! Hahaha! xoxo

34. Risa says:

Your friend has the coolest ASU shirt on ever! ;-)

35. you are freakin’ HILARIOUS! I love this turkey sign/costume! You are the best spectator ever! Make sure to comb through the Missed Connections in case anyone is looking for the “Turkey Girl!”