and then it sets in.

Let’s be real here, I’ve been running a lot, and I’m realizing that my body right now is saying, Whoaaaaaaa there, let’s slow down a little bit, I’m TIRED. I know that all this running just slowly wears down your body and then all of a sudden all you can do is sleep and even when you wake up your exhausted. Remember how a month ago I wondered why I was waking up in the middle of the night? Yea, that’s not happening anymore. Neither is getting up when I set my alarm to run in the morning, well at least that’s what happened this morning.

But, I also am a huge believer in listening to your body when you are working out. I know my sleep is important and that if I let myself get too run down or push myself too far, I’m going to end up sick, tired and overwhelemed, which also sadly means no running. So as I sit here eating my lucky charms, I’m sad that I didn’t get in my morning run, but at the same time, I’m also glad I got two extra hours of sleep. You win some, you lose some, and that was a secret win! :) So instead of running 5 miles this morning, I’m going to just push back my schedule and run 5 tomorrow, 3 Thursday and then 5 on Friday. If I skip a run, it happens. Sometimes you just have to allow yourself time to recover and maybe running three marathons in three months was taking a bigger bite than I can chew.

On another note, there is a contest for the worst race photo going on. Everyone ALWAYS comments how your pictures are horrendeous, so I thought I would share the link to enter your photo :) Just go to Topricin.com and click on the link for the Worst Race Photo contest. It’s in the middle of the page on the left hand side. The deadline for entries is November 30th and then you can vote for the Worst until December 5th!

Also, I’ve been meaning to post about this for a while, but I found this site to be interesting when looking for some reviews of a lot of technical products including treadmills. Check it out if you get the chance! Run Reviews.

On that note… Sometimes resting is the hardest thing to do. Countdown to the last marathon of the year… 12 days. UGH!

15 Responses to and then it sets in.

1. Spamboy says:

Is the race photo contest inspired by this article in Runner’s World?

2. Vic says:

It takes guts to rest when you need to! You’ll be back to running in no time!

3. Denise says:

you’re exactly right…you have to listen to your body! we all need rest days.

4. aron says:

YES i am looking forward to 12 days when i dont have 4am wake ups for a week or two :) see you in LESS THAN 12 days!!!! <3

5. Marlene says:

You are so right about needing to listen to our bodies. You’ve done a LOT this year… like, a LOT a lot. Once you get through this next marathon, you’ll definitely deserve a little break!

6. Alisa says:

Resting is good!

I can’t believe you went from “never doing another mary” to like a bazillion! =)

7. KatieA. says:

Oh man, I hear ya! You and I are in the same boat! I am burnt – and even thinking about CIM makes me tired. I don’t know what I should do. We are both poised to be Maniacs after CIM, but right now I am thinking that is a bit too much for me!
    Have a great day! :)

8. Astro says:

I have been MIA for awhile and just catching up on my reading (soon to catch up on my own blogging) and wanted to say -’good job’. Sometimes listening to your body is a hard thing to do.

And good luck on your last marathon. Take a well deserved break afterwards and then hit it hard for next year.

9. Ms.V says:

Yes, then you’ll rest, right? Listen to your body, girl.

10. ShutupandRun says:

Oh yeah I’m becoming a champ at listening to my body even if it means resting. And it usually does. Not resting has gotten me a stress fracture. I don’t want to go down that road again. Never again.

Running a marathon + hanging out with you girls + being in cali= best-weekend EVER!!!

can’t WAIT!!!!!!

12. Just listen to your body, and you’ll be fine, Chicky Marathoner!

Rest up because CIM will be here before you know it!

13. cyberHag says:

Yup, I hit this moment today as well! I forced myself to go on and finish and now I regret it. I am so freakin tired…ugh.

14. I understand what you mean by how hard it is to rest sometimes… Rest days suck for me. I’m always so anxious to get up and moving, it’s so hard to chill!

3 marathons in one year? YOU ARE NOTHING SHORT OF WONDER WOMAN!! :D

15. 00kate says:

You soooo deserve this break – you have had such an impressive/amazing/inspiring year :D Great job listening to your body. It’s hard sometimes and I think that being able to do so is part of being an awesome runner – so congrats!