and then it sets in.

Let’s be real here, I’ve been running a lot, and I’m realizing that my body right now is saying, Whoaaaaaaa there, let’s slow down a little bit, I’m TIRED. I know that all this running just slowly wears down your body and then all of a sudden all you can do is sleep and even when you wake up your exhausted. Remember how a month ago I wondered why I was waking up in the middle of the night? Yea, that’s not happening anymore. Neither is getting up when I set my alarm to run in the morning, well at least that’s what happened this morning.

But, I also am a huge believer in listening to your body when you are working out. I know my sleep is important and that if I let myself get too run down or push myself too far, I’m going to end up sick, tired and overwhelemed, which also sadly means no running. So as I sit here eating my lucky charms, I’m sad that I didn’t get in my morning run, but at the same time, I’m also glad I got two extra hours of sleep. You win some, you lose some, and that was a secret win! :) So instead of running 5 miles this morning, I’m going to just push back my schedule and run 5 tomorrow, 3 Thursday and then 5 on Friday. If I skip a run, it happens. Sometimes you just have to allow yourself time to recover and maybe running three marathons in three months was taking a bigger bite than I can chew.

On another note, there is a contest for the worst race photo going on. Everyone ALWAYS comments how your pictures are horrendeous, so I thought I would share the link to enter your photo :) Just go to and click on the link for the Worst Race Photo contest. It’s in the middle of the page on the left hand side. The deadline for entries is November 30th and then you can vote for the Worst until December 5th!

Also, I’ve been meaning to post about this for a while, but I found this site to be interesting when looking for some reviews of a lot of technical products including treadmills. Check it out if you get the chance! Run Reviews.

On that note… Sometimes resting is the hardest thing to do. Countdown to the last marathon of the year… 12 days. UGH!

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

• Reply Spamboy

Is the race photo contest inspired by this article in Runner’s World?

November 24, 2009 at 9:50 am
  • Reply Vic

It takes guts to rest when you need to! You’ll be back to running in no time!

November 24, 2009 at 9:52 am
  • Reply Denise

you’re exactly right…you have to listen to your body! we all need rest days.

November 24, 2009 at 9:55 am
  • Reply aron

YES i am looking forward to 12 days when i dont have 4am wake ups for a week or two :) see you in LESS THAN 12 days!!!! <3

November 24, 2009 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Marlene

You are so right about needing to listen to our bodies. You’ve done a LOT this year… like, a LOT a lot. Once you get through this next marathon, you’ll definitely deserve a little break!

November 24, 2009 at 10:31 am
  • Reply Alisa

Resting is good!

I can’t believe you went from “never doing another mary” to like a bazillion! =)

November 24, 2009 at 10:36 am
  • Reply KatieA.

Oh man, I hear ya! You and I are in the same boat! I am burnt – and even thinking about CIM makes me tired. I don’t know what I should do. We are both poised to be Maniacs after CIM, but right now I am thinking that is a bit too much for me!
    Have a great day! :)

November 24, 2009 at 10:51 am
  • Reply Astro

I have been MIA for awhile and just catching up on my reading (soon to catch up on my own blogging) and wanted to say -‘good job’. Sometimes listening to your body is a hard thing to do.

And good luck on your last marathon. Take a well deserved break afterwards and then hit it hard for next year.

November 24, 2009 at 12:05 pm
  • Reply Ms.V

Yes, then you’ll rest, right? Listen to your body, girl.

November 24, 2009 at 1:49 pm
  • Reply ShutupandRun

Oh yeah I’m becoming a champ at listening to my body even if it means resting. And it usually does. Not resting has gotten me a stress fracture. I don’t want to go down that road again. Never again.

November 24, 2009 at 2:30 pm
  • Reply Nicole

Running a marathon + hanging out with you girls + being in cali= best-weekend EVER!!!

can’t WAIT!!!!!!

November 24, 2009 at 4:07 pm
  • Reply The Laminator

Just listen to your body, and you’ll be fine, Chicky Marathoner!

Rest up because CIM will be here before you know it!

November 24, 2009 at 7:00 pm
  • Reply cyberHag

Yup, I hit this moment today as well! I forced myself to go on and finish and now I regret it. I am so freakin tired…ugh.

November 24, 2009 at 7:46 pm
  • Reply JennyLikesToRun

I understand what you mean by how hard it is to rest sometimes… Rest days suck for me. I’m always so anxious to get up and moving, it’s so hard to chill!

3 marathons in one year? YOU ARE NOTHING SHORT OF WONDER WOMAN!! :D

November 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm
  • Reply 00kate

You soooo deserve this break – you have had such an impressive/amazing/inspiring year :D Great job listening to your body. It’s hard sometimes and I think that being able to do so is part of being an awesome runner – so congrats!

November 24, 2009 at 9:14 pm