Peanut butter and Jelly time!

So you probably all remember the fact that I get pretty sick when eating/taking GUs or any type of endurance ‘food’ along my run. I tried shot blox, GUs, hammer gels, crank fuel and everything I tried made me miserable. I know it’s important to eat when running such long distances, since your burning so many calories and you have to have fuel to keep you going as your mileage goes up. Thus began my search to find something that I could fuel with on my longer runs without making me sick. I started with some sport beans on smaller, close by my house runs. They worked well and weren’t the easiest thing to eat, but I could chew them up pretty quickly and swallow them without a problem.

Then I really had to become creative for the longer runs. I knew that eating would be difficult since anything that wasn’t in a goo like form would involve at least some pretty serious chewing, which led me to wonder if I could chew without choking and keep running at the same time. I knew peanut butter was full of ‘good nutritients’ that would help me keep going while running and I knew having anything in my stomach that didn’t upset it would be better than nothing and hitting the much dreaded ‘wall’. Thus the peanut butter and jelly square sandwiches were born.

Now, to make them work, I usually prepare them the night before my run so that the jelly has time to ‘sit’ and ‘soak’. Sounds disgusting, but it works like a charm. I also make sure to really smash them into the small snack size bag I put them in. Then I put them in the fridge overnight. I put on a lot more jelly to make it more squishy, and a normal amount of peanut butter.

img_3734

I use creamy peanut butter and make the whole sandwich.

img_3735

I also make sure to get the jelly ALL over the bread including almost the crusts. The crusts most of the time I either just throw away or don’t eat. During Long Beach though I ate the whole thing.

img_3736

Smash them together and wha-la. Then you cut it into four small squares. Then put in the bag and smash a little. It won’t be the prettiest thing in the morning, but it works when you need substance.

img_3738

When I was training, I would walk and eat one square every 6-8 miles. During the marathon I ate one at mile 6 and mile 12 but never stopped to walk to eat them. I kept the sandwiches in the side pocked of my pouch that was attached to my iFitness belt. Then I lived off sport beans for the rest of the race, though I did have more sandwiches if I wanted to eat them. They actually aren’t as hard as you would think to eat. I would sometimes, when training, dip them in water like Kobiyashi does with hot dog buns and then they are easier to swallow. During the marathon though I just kind of choked it down and drank water after to make sure that it was all down safely. As I said before, I usually don’t eat the crust and just throw it to some birds nearby.

Here’s the Hot Dog Eating Contest from this year.

Um, just listening to the commentary is amazing.

This video made me want to make a video for you guys showing you how to eat peanut butter and jellies while I’m running, but then my better judgement kicked in. Lucky you.

I’ve been really into the gym lately, which is weird. I think it’s because I can’t run when I’m sick so I just go to spin and get my butt kicked. Like, I have never sweat so much in my entire life. Seriously. Anyways, I’m feeling much better and hopefully can run again sometime soon! We’ll maybe give it a try tomorrow am, or after work.

39 Responses to Peanut butter and Jelly time!

1. alex says:

i’ve been waiting for this post- my stomach has decided to get all picky on me, even though it was like iron for the first 23 years of my life- what gives? I was a milkshake chugging, taco bell inhaling, cheeseburger with bacon munching queen, I tell you.
    once you go healthy, you can never go back, i guess. :-(

2. I tell you, I love some pb&j anyway I can get it! Seriously, that sounds delicious. If I ever work up to some higher mileage, I’m so doing that. Yum :) Good post!

3. Lavonne says:

I tried the pb thing over the weekend. I don’t want to even think how I looked trying to chew the darn thing.

4. I’ve been curious since you first started talking about the PB&J as running fuel. I have a really difficult time with sports fuels too. Thanks for the outline on how you do this… I’ll have to try it!

5. I am going to try this on my next long run! I hit a major wall on my 8 miler and felt completely sick to my stomach. It’s so hard for me to eat a lot before my runs though so I normally just have a couple bites of banana or some toast. Looks like I’ll be trying the PB&J route!

6. I may have to look into the PB&J. I did sport beans this time and chewing was problematic. xoxo

7. j says:

Thank you for the tutorial! I can’t do Gu or the like because the texture makes me queasy. Sports beans work for me though, thank goodness!

8. jenn says:

You make me laugh.
    Also, it’s strange – i have no probs with the Gus but the one time i had a Sharkie, I had to run to a bathroom like there was a shark chasing me.

9. The gels/sport beans/shot blocks/etc are good for fuel, but they also help with electrolyte replacement. If you’re fueling solely on PB&J (good stuff … I had some PB&J during long beach and it’s my favorite during ultras), just make sure you take some salt tabs or something.

10. Tara says:

man that video is intense! I love how they are talking pace and the off season! lol I am for sure going to try the pb&js for NYC and hopefully they sit well because I can’t afford to hang out in the port-o-potties at that race! ha ha

11. Rachael says:

That video made me wanna vom. Although a video of you cramming PB&J in your piehole while running would be funny, I don’t want YOU to make me vom too …
    I used to eat pbutter toast before a run, but it started hurting my stomach actually as well.

12. Alisa says:

Spin = major sweatfest for me and I LOVE it.

I tried luna moons for the first time at Nike Women’s since they were handing them out on the course and I really like the orange ones. Gu doesn’t bother me, the vanilla or expresso love, but sometimes during the long training runs or during the mary I couldn’t choke down enough of them. I like the idea of PB&J but I would probably have to walk to eat them =).

Can’t wait to continue to follow your PB&J saga =).

13. Kelly says:

PB&J makes me happy.

Hot Dogs make me happy.

This post made me hungry.

14. ShutupandRun says:

Those Smuckers pre made PB&Js are good in a pinch too. My favorite breakfast/running food by far.

15. Morgan says:

Peanut Butter, Jelly, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Peanut Butter Jelly and a baseball bat!!!!! D@mn you for getting this song stuck in my head!!!

16. Ugh man, I really wanted to see a video of you running and eating your PB&J…if it’s anything like your ice bath video, i know I’d get a good ab workout just watching it!

You’ve been to the gym…and NOT running? Wow, you must really be feeling sick!

Feel better Chic Lady, okay?!

17. Zoë says:

Mmmm, PB&J is the most perfect food ever. Period. I’ll have to try this. :)

18. Jess says:

Now I have the Peanut Butter Jelly Time song stuck in my head! lol!

19. Lacey says:

i can’t even imagine!! lol. but i love that you use these on your long runs. i can’t believe it doesn’t bother your stomach! :) much much cheaper than gels etc.

20. saschasdad says:

PB&Js have long been my pre-race breakfast of choice. Good carbs, good protein, easy to eat, easy to digest, easy to transport while traveling to races, and they’re just tasty! Plus, if you make it the night before, you can eat it while still laying in bed at 5 a.m. (or 4). And I definitely take one or two on super-long adventure runs, too.

21. KatieA. says:

Love the post! What about a plate under that sammy while you make it! Hahaha! That’s the neat freak in me coming out! :) Glad you found something that works, doesn’t that feel great!
    Feel better little lady!

Thanks for sharing your PB&J secrets! I’ll have to try this on my next long run!! :)

23. kristen says:

Brilliant idea. I might have to try these come marathon training…

24. Wow, that’s a really good solution! I can see how letting the jelly soak in and smashing them together would make them easier to eat!! Good solution!

25. What a creative thing to create for your runs. I wish I could try it though have multiple food allergies (wheat.gluten.peanuts). Glad that it works for you! :)

26. EDGE TO EDGE Jelly, girl, that’s how to do it!! :D

27. I specifically bought some PB&J at Safeway yesterday just so I could copy your idea. But I came home with CHUNKY! Now how would that be easy to eat? I’m such a dummy. Thanks for sharing this with us!

28. Diana-D10 says:

Nice job eating the PB&J during the marathon. I could eat PB&J snadwiches everyday….oh wait I do! Great job finding what works for you.

29. Denise says:

Just a suggestion…but I found I can’t handle the gus/beans, etc either. But, if I eat one blok every few miles, instead of 3 bloks mid run, my stomach can handle it. It’s just that huge amount of sugar at once that I can’t handle. But little bits work fine.

30. Felice says:

That’s great that the pb&j worked so well for you. It’s one of those foods that I wouldn’t think would work for me, but maybe I’ll give it a shot sometime.

31. Es says:

I ended up having to eat those beans during my last marathon since I couldn’t take the Gus or gels they were giving out. The beans sort of worked but I definitely needed more energy. PB & J is a good idea, I’ll have to try that.

Where’s your next race going to be? Did you sign up for it after San Diego?

32. Glenn Jones says:

Hmm. The last thing that I can do after 15 or 16 miles is eat anything solid. On my training runs I can eat up until about mile 16, but after that my appetite just shuts off. Luckily I can handle the gus, so I can still take in some calories.

I am finding that so much about the longtraining runs is ablout finding what works – clothing, fuel, drink, etc. – nt as much about the miles. After all, what’s the difference between 16, 18 and 20 miles right? (Uh oh. I may have caught the marathon bug….) At least when you are done, you don’t have to feel guilty about a wrapper. And the birds probably thank you too.

33. Keri says:

Okay, so question. I LOVE this idea because the GUs never bother me during training runs but on race day I end up getting sick! I am curious though, do you also drink gatorade with the PB&Js because I read somewhere that the combination of the GU and gatorade is what made me so sick…just wondering. I’m going to try it for my long run this weekend…

34. Pingback: Q&A Running Answers | Chic Runner

35. I’m glad you linked back to this post today because I’m going through my finding the right food phase now. Gus and gels all make me feel so sick it’s hard to keep running. My coach suggested PB crackers but they sounded SO dry. I think this might be it!

36. Pingback: running on vegan fuel « Queer Vegan Runner

37. Pingback: Q&A! | Chic Runner

38. Pingback: Miguel Runner » Peanut Butter and Jelly YES!