Brick me up, Scotty!

So, this morning I went to the gym. Again. I know, who am I right? I hop out of bed at 5:30 like it’s my job and before I know it I’m working out my T-rexy arms with the meatballs of the world. Anyways, I’ve been doing a lot of spinning and working a lot to get my strength back because, ahem, I may have slacked just a little bit during training for Long Beach. As in, I did NO strength training. I really started to feel my back getting weak during my longer runs and realized that I had to make more than a once a month effort at the gym to perhaps get some decent results. Thus I’ve found myself kicking serious butt at the gym lately, and totally, gasp, LOVING IT! I know, I’m turning over a new leaf, wild. I still have been getting in some great runs lately, and last night knocked out a quick 5.5 miler.

When I got home after my run last night, I thought to myself how I just ran 5 miles. Seriously, I would have never guessed I would be doing that. Thus leads me to the cheerleader coming out and saying, “Rah! Rah! Everyone can run!” I am used to running 2 miles, 3 miles, maybe, on a good day, 4 miles, but just going out and dominating a 5 miler and feeling great? If you would have told me that a year ago I would have literally laughed at you. Change is good though, and I’m glad I am at where I am now.

So back to me being a complete BA at the gym. Call me dumb, but I’ve seen the word ‘brick’ thrown out like it’s candy at Halloween on twitter and some blogs, and I never truly knew what it meant. Obviously, I knew it had something to do with a workout or some type of training. Well for you folks, here is the official definition in case you didn’t know, like myself.

“What is a Brick Workout? A brick workout is when you do one workout immediately after another. For example, you could do a swim followed by a bike or a bike followed by a run. There is no special way you have to do a brick workout. However, the most effective brick workout is one that most resembles the race you will run. So more than likely you are better served doing a swim to bike or a bike to run brick workout for triathlon prep.”

Well I normally stick to one or the other, never mixing it up, because that would be too crazy for me, but this morning, after spinning for 35 minutes, and thus becoming a swamp monster, I felt like getting in a little run so I ran for 15 minutes and got in 2 miles. Wait! I did my first brick workout! I didn’t even know it! So it wasn’t THAT bad, I actually felt fine, and honestly, it’s not like I was in the spin class where afterwards I think I might throw up, I just did my own hill workout on the bike. But still, brick me up baby!

29413

This is random, but here are some new songs if you wanted to check them out, they have really been kicking butt when I work out lately. Drake – Forever, Ester Dean – Drop it Low, Kevin Rudolf – NYC, Jay-Z – Empire State of Mind, and last, my favorite, David Guetta – Memories. Be careful, the videos might be, how shall we say, inappropriate? :) Thanks also to my friend Tara for giving me some new sick jams!

So I did a brick, I’m becoming a gym mouse (not rat, that sounds gross) and oh, I’m running the Nike Human Race 5k tomorrow night, at midnight at USC. Why am I running a 5k? Because I can and it’s going to be super fun! On a completely unrelated note, my halloween costume is coming along and I finally figured out how I’m going to, as Tim Gunn would say, “Make It Work!” It’s going to be SO funny and I can’t wait to show it to you guys. Hopefully I will get it done this weekend.

I seriously need to stop going to the gym before posting… because these are getting way too peppy. :)

17 Responses to Brick me up, Scotty!

1. Ally says:

I’ve been slacking on my AM workouts–you’re inspiring me. I must get my ass out of bed and to the gym!

2. Tara says:

You lil gym mouse…squeak squeak!!! haha Great job on doing your 1st brick! and love all the sweet jams! I have another one for you courtesy of our friend Jay-Z…”On to the next one”

3. Amanda says:

Lol at your peppy post, it’s the endorphins talking:)

4. Cara says:

when I used to do triathlons, I was told that brick = Bike + Run + ICK. :D

5. Jennifer says:

I’ve never heard of a brick workout… I’m gonna have to look into that.

And I’m glad the costume is working out! Can’t wait to see how awesome it looks!

6. Marlene says:

I love your peppy post-gym posts! :) Gym-mouse…. cute.

Congrats on the brick!

7. Tara says:

yay for kicking butt at the gym and i cant WAIT to see your halloween costume!

8. Who knew I did brick workouts every time I go to the gym?? Thanks for the info :)

Your 5K sounds like so much fun!

9. Morgan says:

I’m just going to go for the obvious here…

“She’s a brick-house!”

LOL! I kill myself.

Anyway get your brick on girl, they’re fun and challenging… do I see a Tri in your future?

10. Madison says:

You go, girlie! Thanks for the inspiration today, I think I am going to go to the gym at lunch and do a mini brick workout on spin bike and treadmill.

11. Kristen says:

HEY! I am doing the Human Race too! We signed up for the 10k, but just might do the 5k…we are lazy bums :-/

And good job on the brick, they are actually REALLY good workouts!

12. why am I a running a 5K? because I can…I LOVE IT!!

13. Marcia says:

I love your pep! Thanks for the tune suggestions, mine are in dire need of freshening. Have fun at the Human Race!

14. I hope my running gets easier again for me. I used to run 5 or 6 miles like it was nothing. Lately, it has been of a struggle for me, not sure why. Thanks for the info about brick workouts, I had no idea. I will have to check out those songs!

15. Sara says:

I had no idea about ‘brick workouts!’ ….but apparently I’ve been doing them for a while… only not in prep for a tri… I usually do a lift class then Zumba or run then yoga class.. I always feel awesome after double workouts, now I have a name to go with’em! :)

16. Colleen says:

Welcome to the brick club! Now you just need to sign up for a tri! You know you want to! :)

17. Alisa says:

You are just too cute!

“birck me up scotty?!?!” I never knew you were a treky =) hahahahaha!

Way to go on getting in those AM workouts, maybe I’ll need to start receiving wake up texts from the wake up service of Chic Runner! It’s so dark, gray and raining here, the bed is wayyyy to inviting.

P.S. Me thinks you may have a tri in your future!

P.P.S. Thanks for the jams!