3:30 am + the next race!

So every night, for the past 6 months I’ve woken up at 3:30 am on the dot regularly. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, but I wake up and have trouble falling back asleep. Usually it takes me about 30 minutes to fall back asleep. I wake up like it’s time to go and start my day. It’s the strangest thing ever. I was wondering if other people have problems sleeping and how they have dealt with it. This could lead to a can of worms for comments! :)

I was really excited about running this weekend but have been feeling under the weather ever since Thursday. My whole body aches especially my lower back. Alas, I know my body needs rest, especially after the marathon, so a little break won’t hurt it too badly, or mess up my training. I know that when you are sick, if you try to run it will only make it ten times worse. At least that is what happens with me.

Another sad thing, I have my first black toenail. I haven’t ever had one before and it is hideous! I am sad that it turned black, but at the same time, it’s fall and time for dark nail polishes, so therefore hopefully I can cover it up.

I wanted to say Congrats to my good friend Maggie who ran her first 1/2 marathon this weekend, and to all those who ran the Nike Women’s 1/2 and full, and then everyone else who raced! It was fun seeing updates via Twitter over the weekend. Fall is so much fun for racing!

So I guess you’re all wondering when my next race will be? Well drum-roll please, I will be running the Malibu Marathon next month! As in like 26 days from now. CRAZY! I know, but I’m really excited about it and can’t wait to run it. I’m going to do it just for fun with some of my friends from northern California and it will be a great time! We are even going to run in costumes and it should be a blast. My training for that will basically be just some easy miles and one ‘long run’ and then back down to taper.

mimlogo

I’ve had some people ask me about sharing my training plan that I worked with for Long Beach and I will be posting that soon. I still can’t believe that Long Beach was so much fun and it makes driving around town so much more enjoyable too! I remember parts of the course that I drive on daily and it makes me so happy. I really love that course! Hope everyone else had a productive weekend, as mine was definitely not.

35 Responses to 3:30 am + the next race!

1. You’re incredible! I must say that I’m super excited to see Malibu costume pictures next month! Do you know what you all will dress up as?

2. Glad your weekend wasn’t productive. Productive weekends are a waste!

3. I have trouble sleeping too and started taking a new liquid probiotic that helps with sleeping, and boy does it!! The of the brand is Gobeyondorganic.com, the probiotic is called Rest Easy. I have noticed a huge difference in my sleep and I have only been taking it for a few days. Good luck!!

4. Amanda says:

Have you ever tried Melatonin? I have friends that swear by it. It doesnt make you fall asleep it helps you stay asleep.

5. miranda says:

I swear by Tylenol PM… I take 2 about 30 minutes before I go to bed and usually sleep through the night as I also used to wake up a few times during the night and had trouble falling back asleep. Too much worrying!

6. You are a crazy lady! Wish I could help you on the sleeping thing. One thing I heard is that if you can’t sleep, you should get up and DO something. Sometimes, even if I just picture the mountain of laundry I need to fold, that makes me tired enough to fall back asleep.

7. Bootchez says:

Get online at 3am — that’s what I do. I’m no stranger to being awake in the middle of the night, and the only things that work for me is Drugs (ew) and Get used to it (not so good). In other news, I look forward to seeing your training plan . . .

8. kristen says:

You’ve become an addict :)

9. Madison says:

You are an animal running another marathon so soon. Take care of your immune system these next couple of weeks because the last time I ran 2 back to back marathons, I got the worse cough in the history of my life. You are my idol now so hopefully one day I will run into you again at a race. I have to get out there and train, else I will never catch up…hahaha. Good luck on the training!

10. Marlene says:

Another one already?! You’re a marathon machine!! Sounds fun!

11. RunNes says:

HI

You are a true inspiration. I can’t wait to see your training plan. This weekend I run my first 1/2 marathon in Amsterdam. Good luck on the Malibu Marathon Sounds crazy but if you do it Go for it…:)

12. Jess says:

Oh man Malibu! I bet that will be a fun place to run! Have fun with your friends!

13. Jaime says:

I use melatonin. It’s natural and helps regulate your circadian rhythm. You can get it at Target or CVS/Walgreens.

14. I had a black toenail last fall when I ran a half marathon in the rain. Actually, it didn’t really turn black — it just died and fell off. It was interesting.

Just had my PR at a half marathon this weekend! Have a great time in Malibu!

15. Lara says:

Not sure what to say about the waking up at 3:30, other than it sounds like you’re stressed and are not relaxing into the full moment of sleep.

But a black toenail? I haven’t had that yet! I’m just waiting, as I KNOW I won’t dodge it forever. I got a nice bloodblister under a callus yesterday though, so that was fun. :-)

16. Tara says:

whhhhooooohhhhoooooooo MALIBU!!!!! can’t wait :) and you know I am a sleep FAILure! maybe we need to be in a sleep study…ha ha

17. jenn says:

Maybe you’re on EST? Come to Toronto and we can go running then ;)

18. Oh honey I’m sorry you aren’t sleeping well. My husband struggles with that and I can’t relate (thankfully I am an amazing sleeper) but I know it can be horrible. I am so excited about Malibu and wish I had a nice WARM nice coming up. Run, run, run!!

19. Felice says:

Wow! That’s so cool that you are getting right back to another marathon and running it in costume, no less! Fun!

Sorry about the sleep issues :-(

20. john says:

found your blog through a comment to a link to another blog, etc…

i get freaked out if i wake up at 3:15am because that’s when the family was killed in the movie, The Amityville Horror. always creeps me out.

wear your black toenail with pride! it’s a badge of honor after your race! nice work on the race!

21. Milltini says:

I have trouble sleeping sometimes, but it comes and goes. It was mostly a problem that I had in college because there was just too much going on at all hours and I had a hard time settling down. I love the SleepyTime tea–that always helps. These days I’m so exhausted because I never get enough sleep, so it doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore. I am so sorry though, I know it is super frustrating.

Hope you are feeling better!

22. Katie A. says:

Can’t help you with the sleep thing girly, I sleep like a rock. But I bet it has something to do with stress, that might be a good place to start.
    Ooo, Malibu marathon! So cool and I am excited for you! Running races for fun is the best! Can’t wait to see your training plan, its always neat to see what other peeps are doing. :)

23. Katie A. says:

One more thought…you SO have to do your hair in those cute buns for Malibu- I think that helped you cross the finish line with such a big smile! :)

24. J says:

I am afraid of getting a black toe nail! is it painful at all?? I don’t know the rules exactly but will the malibu marathon qualify you for marathon maniacs at all?? Sounds exciting to be running another marathon! Way to go!

25. Denise says:

Welcome to the black toenail club! You earned it!!

I sleep for sh*t every night. It sucks.

26. Joy says:

Congrats on the black toenail! Mark of a kick@$$ marathoner :)

Have a great time training for Malibu!

27. rioruns says:

Welcome to the black toenail society!
    Malibu sounds fun.. Hope you feel better soon!

28. Melanie says:

I’m afraid I’m no help on the sleep issue, but I am so excited about your next race! It sounds like fun to run one in a costume!

29. oz runner says:

sounds like you’re hooked on running marathons now…i have the same problem with waking up early…usually if i can’t get back to sleep within 30 minutes, i just get up and start my day/go running or whatever…it actually gives you more hours in the day to get stuff done…

30. Punk Rock Runner says:

Best of luck with the Malibu Marathon. You’re running continues to get better and better. I know you’re going to kick butt!

31. Alisa says:

FUN! I can’t wait to see the Malibu Barbies rock it.

32. Markemmanuel says:

You’re in good company… I think. I’m flying to Philadelphia November 20th to run the Philadelphia Marathon.

Good luck with Malibu!

Crazy… just crazy…

–mark–

33. Zoë says:

26 days? Wow dude! You’re going to have a blast though. :)

34. Sucks about the sleep issues :( Wow, great job on gearing up for another marathon already!

35. Amanda says:

Sweet, that’s awesome that you’ve already got another marathon planned. I hope your sleep issues are getting better, that’s frustrating!