What the Laundromat?

So let me be completely honest with you all. I’ve never set foot in a laundromat before. I  had no idea what to expect, or how it even really worked. I didn’t know what a fluff was or the difference between all the washing machines. I just had the movie scene laundromat visions dancing through my head when I realized just this past weekend that it would be MUCH faster if i did the four, yes I said four, loads of laundry I had accumulated over the past three weeks at the laundromat instead of doing it at my apartment complex. I figured it would cost a little more, but also save much more time.

Let me tell you, I traveled to a, shall we say, interesting part of town with my hamper and laundry basket chock full of dirty, stinky clothes. The laundromat I chose, as pulled up, was across the street  from a sex shop and a diner called “Egg Heaven”. I have heard Egg Heaven is good, but I’ve never ventured there, but the sex shop and food counter across the street that were next to each other looked less than desirable. Along with the people coming and going around the area. I got there and realized as I took everything out of my car and set myself up that I totally forgot my detergent. I was not driving all the way back home and re-loading my car so I decided to buy some detergent out of this vending machine looking thing. I got four packs for 75 cents. I loaded up the washers and sat down to read my book.  I had brought along a David Sedaris book that I read on and off, and thought I could get in some quality reading time. He’s my all time favorite author and I would love to write more like him. I began reading but I had to stop, because there were so many CRAZY people there that I couldn’t stop watching! Let’s give a run down of the experience at the laundromat.

I had my little section all set up on the bench with my two baskets close by and my book and purse. There was the token cute guy doing laundry as well. There has to be a cute guy at the laundromat right? He was changing clothes from a washer to a dryer when I got there, and was cute until he then proceeded to go outside and wax his ’99 corolla in the parking lot. Um, what? Of course, I snuck a picture.

laundry3

He later was done waxing and started to read a huge science fiction book by me. That was entertaining.

As I was psuedo reading my book and stalking the other clothes washers, this little gem walked in.

laundry1

What? First, let’s mention the fact that the picture didn’t capture the fact that Indiana Jones here had two pipes for smoking. Smoking pot, which he did in the laundromat. WHAT. Then we have the fact that he was wearing the Indiana Jones hat, hence the nickname. He was also wearing a Pink Floyd t-shirt that could have doubled as a dress. He was wearing skinny jeans and oh yea, no shoes. That is something about me, I usually am always wearing shoes. He was wearing none and it looked like he hadn’t worn any shoes for the past week. Disgusting! He kept coming in and out of the laundromat checking on his HUGE load of clothes. I don’t really know where he was going in between checking his laundry. Sketchy. I think if you are not wearing shoes, you might have bigger priorities than washing your clothes? Maybe that’s just me.

Then we had the cute little family who I didn’t snap a picture of, and another older women who was explaining her life problems to a friend via cell phone at a decibel level of far too loud for the close quarters we were all sharing. It was really, really awkward. Like, you start asking yourself questions in your head and questioning what you’re doing. “Do I talk to these people?” “If I do, what do I say?” “Do I talk on my phone?” “Is my laughing at them, really noticeable?” In the words of DJ, “It’s like being on an elevator with people for an hour.” I couldn’t have said it better.

laundry2

It was finally time to dry my clothes and so I traveled over to the huge dryers. This is where time was saved for sure. And oddly enough, it’s almost mesmerizing to watch your clothes go around and around in the dryer. So it was obviously quite the journey, but an entertaining one none the less!

As soon as I got my clothes folded and dried, I bolted out of that place. Though there were some positives, especially the fact that I was done with my laundry super quickly, but let’s just say, I’ll make sure the next place I live has laundry inside. :)

Today is a rest day! Wahoo!

29 Responses to What the Laundromat?

1. Alex says:

I had to use a laundromat in college. One word. GHETTO My roommate and I went together for safety. It is like a freak magnet.

2. Brooke says:

Suddenly, I really wanna go do my laundry at a laundromat, just so I can see this freak show.

3. Hilarious! When I lived in Manhattan Beach, I went to the laundromat a couple time. It was interesting, but I bet not near as crazy as LB with it’s cast of characters.
    I think that’s my favorite thing about having a condo — the in-unit laundary. Next time you should come over here! Ha!

4. Tara says:

LOL oh how I love a good laundromat experience! I went a few times during college like you to save time since I had let the dirty clothes pile up and it was always quite the adventure. Indiana Jones scares me! haha Today is a rest day for me too :D

5. j says:

Haha, that is great. I just had to start using a laundromat for the first time and I refuse to go without my boyfriend! There are always so many weirdos there! It is such a timesaver but I still can’t wait until we finally get our own washer and dryer.

6. Ally says:

Ha! I had to go to a laundromat when my husband and I first got married because our washer and dryer in our apartment could not fit our bedding–and I was new to town, and didn’t know where to go…oh lordy, it was exhausting. Not as entertaining as your experience though!

7. Jamie says:

Have a great REST day! You deserve it!
    LOL Laundromats are “interesting” =)

8. Susan says:

The cute guy was simply multitasking by waxing his car while doing his laundry…no harm there!

9. I had to go to the laundry mat once to wash our down comforter because it was too big to fit in our washer. It took me like 4 cycles of going through the dryer to even get it close to dry…and get this. It was a little too big and kept hitting the door and opening itself and stopping…so I literally had to stand their for HOURS holding the door shut.

Never. again.

10. KatieA. says:

Oh man! I just laughed my butt off while reading this! I think every laundry mat has this same cast of characters! Why is it that the laundry mat brings out the weirdest of the weird?
    BTW, I can’t believe you were so behind on laundry that you actually did this? You are soooo funny! :)

11. L.A. Daze says:

I went to a laundromat for the first time a few weeks ago because the washer/dryer combo we have in the apartment just takes too freaking long (can you say 4 hours??) and the clothes come out all wrinkly since they are steam dried. I hate it. The one I went to wasn’t so bad, although there was no token cute guy, and I had to break a $20 to get quarters. Fail. Also, the dryers took forever and didn’t get all my clothes dry. And my clothes didn’t smell nice either!

12. B.o.B. says:

Ok, so having had to do laundry at a laundromat for about two years I fully knew what this post would be like.

I was lucky enough to find one close to me that had an attendant on duty at all times and had some tvs. It was awesome.

Not anywhere near as awesome as finally moving somewhere that required I never go to a laundromat again.

P.S. I ALWAYS wear shoes too. Barefeet gross me out.

13. Girl you are BRAVE! haha Laundromats freak me out.

14. icando262 says:

You were in people watching HEAVEN. What color! It’s the differences that makes life interesting. I must say though, I feel you were lucky to have come away from this experience unscathed! Be careful! In others words, DON’T GO BACK THERE!!! lol

15. x-country2 says:

Of course you took pics. It’s times like these I’m most thankful for your iPhone. :o)

16. sarah says:

My husband and I went to a laundry mat after our honeymoon because we had like 6 loads of laundry and it used to take forever in our condo. It was fantastic to have all those clothes clean so quickly but there were definitely some characters in there!

17. Love your laundry mat story. It made me crack up laughing. I have used two public laundry mats before though I did not have the experience you had. Just a few minor characters.

I love all your random adventures and crazy stories from them! You seriously crack me up!!!!! :) xoxo

19. Rachael says:

I’ve only hit up a laundrymat once. I think it’s safe to say that was 4 years ago, and I obviously have not gone back to one since.
    (you should see the loads I attempt to do in my house, 4 loads in NOTHING. Try 9.)

20. kristen says:

I’m speechless.

21. Marlene says:

Can I just say that your stories are THE BEST!

22. Es says:

Your experience at the laundromat is so funny. And that picture of Indiana Jones– icing on the cake. Talk about weird! I wonder if he was washing his shoes, let’s hope so. haha I’ve found ways to spot weirdos at a lot of places– the Starbucks downtown, and there’s always a few on public transportation (I take the subway to work every day)

23. I live for moments like spotting the Indy Jones types of the world. Classic.

That being said, one of my favorite bits about being a grown up is owning my own washer & dryer. I miss the people washing, but I’ll take the trade-off ;-)

24. Wow…those are some funny characters…almost as if they were right out of a comic book! Fun times for sure!

25. Abbie says:

This post made me laugh. I’ve taken my big quilts to the laundrymat and always end up with a bizarre run-in.

26. No lie, some freakin’ awesome people watching can be done at a laundromat. You can probably also catch a STD by sitting on the chairs, but chance you gotta take to spot the Indiana Jones’ of the world right?!

27. jgoreham says:

We used to have an awesome laundromat in my city called The Missing Sock. Upstairs was a popular restaurant called My Other Brother Darrell’s. You used to be able to put your laundry in, go upstairs and have a milkshake and read a book, and a light board up in the restaurant would tell you when your machine was done :) Laundromats can be fun, you just need to find one with a cafe nextdoor or one with a Ms. Pac-Man machine in it or something.