the 20 miler that…WAS!!!

So as I stated on Friday, I had a 20 miler this weekend. I was either expecting an epic win or an epic fail and it was a mix of both. Let’s have a little recap shall we? It started off great with my friend Ann and we did 10 miles on a new route that took us all over Long Beach. It’s been so humid in the mornings and I could tell my shirt was a poor choice in the clothing department.

There were SO many runners out, it was exciting to see so many other people out enduring the same pain we were in. We heard the beeping of the heart rate monitors, and saw all fuel belts and garmins were chirping about. It seemed like they were all chirping hello and good mornings to each other. It was nice to run on a nice morning with good company and it was one of those runs where I knew it wouldn’t suck besides just the agony I was going to put my body  through, but that was no surprise.

I was fine the first 12 miles of the run, it was warm but I ate my sandwich squares and wasn’t ‘bonked’ out yet. My feet felt fine and the only thing hurting was my butt. I think that was still sore from the walk last weekend, but gosh, it was SORE! Too funny. We trekked on and went through more of the new route and I felt fine besides my butt for the most part. Then it was just getting so hot. I did the craziest thing. Ran without my shirt. You know it’s hot when I decide to do that. Whatever. I was dying.

Around mile 16, I started to sputter a little bit,  but it gets to that point and you just realize, dude, I already came THIS far! It’s ONLY four more miles. I’m not stopping now! I kept track of where we were and we just kept chugging along. We looked at all the pretty houses and kept working forward. The faster we got done the faster it was over. Around mile 16 also my feet were starting to get sore as well, another little leftover trinket from the walk. I do think that the lingering soreness reared its head on this run since I hadn’t been on my feet since the walk for that long since then.

The last two miles, I started getting so excited to be done that I started picking up the pace. It was a pretty exciting to be SO CLOSE and have accomplished the rest of your run and know that you’re almost home. We ran up and down the little main street in my neighborhood and finally ended right by her car. It felt AMAZING to be done and great to get a good 20 miler finally in the bag. I felt like I kept putting it off and making lame excuses. 20 miles is a long way and it’s daunting if you don’t believe you can do it. I knew I could, but actually doing it is a whole different story. I am just glad I got another one under my belt that didn’t include bathroom stops, getting sick and feeling like I got run over. Then my heart got run over when USC lost later in the day but that’s another story.

I came home, ice bathed and then got ready for the day. My lower back has been hurting since the run, which I think just needs some stretching and my butt still hurts. I am using the  stick on it to try to release some of the pain so hopefully that helps. My shoulders really tensed up all day Sunday which was no fun, but overall, I’m glad that I got in a run that didn’t involve a huge bonk at the end, besides the usual pain of just running that far for that long. The rest of the weekend was spent in front of the TV watching football, which is amazing. I forgot how much I missed it.

There were so many of you racing this weekend, it got me really excited for Long Beach! It’s coming up so soon and I’m excited to run in my city. It should be a great race and I have a sentimental post that I am preparing to post before the race approaches. I also have the InVigirators sock review coming up and also, remember to take the quiz to sign up for the Zensah Giveaway! :)

39 Responses to the 20 miler that…WAS!!!

1. CharmCityKim says:

You are my hero!

I have a 20-mile training run on Halloween and while its over a month away, I’m so nervous!

2. I can’t imagine running 20 miles, when running TWO miles is such a BEARK right now! haha Ok, I think I misused the work Beark but you know what I mean! ;)

Good job!

3. x-country2 says:

I KNEW it would go great! Way to knock it out.

4. L.A. Daze says:

Good job! I can’t imagine running 20 miles just yet. Lol.

5. Amy says:

Good job, girl! Getting a solid 20 miler should be a huge confidence booster. Rest that booty up.

6. jennifercc says:

I really enjoyed this post. I just started running Sept 2 and competed in my first event Friday night, a 4-miler I finished in 44:25. I have lots of training ahead of me and know your blog will continue to encourage me to see it through. Thanks!

7. Glenn Jones says:

Great run Danica!

Are you doing the half or the full in Long Beach? And – are you supplying the peanut butter sandwiches on race day?

8. j says:

Congrats on a great run!

9. Lacey says:

your butt and your lower back pain are totally related!!! if your butt is tight it will lead to back pain. my best suggestion other than stretching and ice… massage!!! :)

10. J says:

Great job on the 20 miler! That is awesome you completed it and felt good!

11. Morgan says:

Yay for a great 20 miler!!! I so channeled the BEARK on Saturday… I actually kept giggling to myself along the way envisioning that pic!

12. Amber says:

You are kinda a big deal Danica!

What mile did you eat your delicious sandwich at?

13. Diana-D10 says:

Great job!! You are right, you need to have confidence in yourself. Keep stretching your back and hamstrings too.

14. Way to get back out there and just hammer out those 20 miles!

15. B.o.B. says:

Good job on the twenty girl. Sorry bout your team. Always next week. :)

16. Felice says:

Nice!
    Hope the stick works to clear up the butt/back pain.

17. Allison says:

Great run, girl!!!
    As a USC alum my heart was stomped as well. And by ‘stomped’ I mean I cried when I saw the score (they don’t show the games on the East Coast…which was for the best on Saturday). UGHHHHHH.

18. KatieA. says:

Yay! Glad you got your 20 miler in! You did awesome! I wasn’t so successful with mine! I only hit 16, I was in Tahoe though, and the altitude was killin’ me! I am a bit nervous ‘cuz I am running a full marathon there next Sunday! AAAAA!
    Oh, and sorry about USC, next week I am sure they will kick some butt! Happy Monday! ;)

19. Stacy says:

Good Job on the 20 miler! Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!

20. Jenny says:

Great run!! I have my 20 miler this weekend, hopefully I can channel some of your good vibes! I know what you mean about the shirt. It has to be REALLY hot for me to just run in my sports bra. And I’m sweating it up down here in Florida!

21. Marlene says:

You did it! Positive energy can go a long way. :) Congrats Danica!

22. Yay for you!! You did it! That has to be an amazing feeling to finish 20 miles! I would be so proud :) So happy for you!

23. You are so cute! I did 20 on Saturday too! I love it! It was hot here in L.A. too, luckily we started at 5am. I’m so glad you made it! If you have a sec, check out my blog, I wrote 2 posts on the run, one complete with an after photo of me passed out on the couch wearing panda slippers!

24. aron says:

AWESOME job on your 20!!

25. ilovesteaks says:

You’re going to rock Long Beach! Are you going to carry with you PB&J during the marathon?

26. Marci says:

Good job on your 20 miler!

27. Madison says:

The group that I run with, ICR, was doing their 20 mile run this past weekend as well up in Long Beach. That may have contributed to the crowd..hahaha. Three more weeks until the Long Beach Marathon! Way to finish your 20-miler…I also did my 20-miler this past weekend. If I see you at the LBM, I will say hi!

Yay mileage twinnie! You nailed it- sounds like you had fun too! LB and chi town are zooming close! We will have to keep in touch on race day!!!!!

29. kristen says:

Good job girl. You teased us by saying it was a mix of both. Sounds like a win to me. It’s great to have a good ending to a long run like that. Major props to you since you had that crazy walk just a few days before. Your a tough chick.

p.s. Go Angels!!

30. Kerrie says:

Someday, I’ll have a 20-mile run to report. :) Great job!

31. rioruns says:

Sounds like a terrific weekend: a good run and some time to kick back. Awesome!

32. Congrats on rocking that 20! No more excuses, get ‘er done! Love it!

33. Joy says:

Congrats on an awesome 20!!!

34. Rachel says:

Sounds like a great run! 20 IS daunting!

35. Tara says:

20 miles is so awesome girl!!!

36. Great run! I haven’t done 20 miles since my marathon in 2008! So I know your pain for wanting to get through a long run! It does come down to a mental challenge and belief in yourself. Good job! My training for my marathon starts in October… so I better start getting ready for those long runs!

37. You’re unreal…freaking fantastic :)

38. Tim Wilson says:

Great job on the 20 miler! I just had my very first 20 miler this past Sunday so I can feel your pain :)

39. Melanie says:

Yay! I’m so glad you had a good run! I have trouble with my shoulders getting tight/sore on long runs sometimes, too. I’m not sure why because I feel like I stay pretty relaxed… but I suppose it’s better than other pains I could potentially have.