Taper Madness you say?

Maybe it’s just me, but I have a confession to make. All the time I read posts about people experiencing ‘taper madness’, where the miles in  the training session start to dwindle and race day approaches. Now, I’m running Long Beach and that is roughly less than two weeks away. I’ve done my training round for Long Beach and put in my miles and believe me, I LOVE running, but when it gets to taper time, I’m just so tuckered out that this resting and the cutback of miles is a welcoming thing for me.

Seriously, I see so many people talking about how much they miss running and can’t wait to run again. I also think that I am built more for speed and not so much distance, so the shorter runs are much more enjoyable to me, than the long, high mileage weeks. When I do a higher mileage week, which I’ve never even done that many miles in a week, I’m SO tired by the end of the week all I can do is sleep. So about this taper, losing your mind, horrible feelings? Yea, I don’t get that. Maybe it’s just me but extra sleeping? Yes, please. Extra time for more activities, including my social life? Yes, please. Not being sore when you walk? Yes, please. Not having to wake up at 5:00 am to run 10 miles before work and being exhausted the rest of the day? Yes, please. Not being famished all the time and scavenging for food like a rodent? Yes, please. I mean, these are all win situations for myself. So maybe I am just made to taper.

On that wonderful note, I got up early today, a once a month thing, and went for a five miler. It’s still pretty humid out, but thankfully the sun wasn’t out just yet, since it’s dark and I just ran the regular beach path.

photo-4

This is what it looked like when I left for my run. Yup, I told you it’s still dark out. It’s weird running in the dark, but then if you get it at just the right time, you can catch it when the sky starts to glow and almost turn pink before the sun comes up. That’s my favorite part of the mornings, if mornings can ever be a good thing.

photo-3

By the time I was finishing up though, it was getting light out. As you can tell, this is called the “marine layer”. It’s the clouds that cover the beach areas every morning. It’s funny because at DJ and I’s house, it’s ALWAYS mostly cloudy, except in July and August, because of the marine layer. I can drive literally like 3 miles inland, and it’s bright and sunny out. It always makes me laugh on my way to work, because I am like where are you sun, at my house?! But I guess that’s what you get when you live a couple hundred feet from the beach.

Tomorrow is a rest day but I’m considering going to the gym. I am really trying to get back into the habit of doing a little core work because I know it will strengthen my back muscles as well. Last night I did 50 sit ups and 15  push ups. It doesn’t seem like a lot but I’m going to try to do 50 in the morning and 50 in the evening and then 15 push ups in the morning and evening as well. I just can’t bust out a lot though, because knowing me, I’ll do a billion one night, get sore, and then never do them again. Soon I’ll be back up to doing them more regularly though, which I  think will then allow me to do more. If I get crazy I’ll even maybe do some planks!

Okay, I’m off to go relax and enjoy my taper, well I mean go to work, but at least I’m not exhausted already at 7:30 am! :) I LOVE TAPER!

32 Responses to Taper Madness you say?

I LOVE TAPER TOO!!!!! Taper= the best part about marathon training if you ask me! I agree with you! I’m uber uber jealous of your amazing beach path thats a few feet from your house… oh how i would love to run on that! :) Have a great day and enjoy your TAPER! :) :) :)

2. LOL! I love Taper too (when I’m running, which now, I’m not… so sad).

3. ShutupandRun says:

Totally see what you mean about liking the taper – sometimes it just feels good to lay low and focus on something other than running. Enjoy it!

4. Morgan says:

I feel as if this is targeted at me for putting up my Tunnel Vision post yesterday! LOL! J/K My taper madness is more about the getting to Chicago details more than running. I am excited to get a break from all the miles and rest up… it will be wonderful to not walk around always having some form of twinge that just marginally is painful 24/7. I can’t believe our marathons are almost here!!!!

5. Punk Rock Runner says:

I love the tamper simply because I don’t have a long run during the taper. For some reason, I love running up to 6 miles and could do it everyday. It’s those darn long runs that zap all my running mojo. Maybe someone should sell “long run” medals and portable finish lines to make the long run more fun.

6. Niki says:

I think tapering sounds fun too! It’s like a treat for putting all the long, hard miles in!! Have fun tapering:)

7. Jen says:

Is Long Beach on the 11th? That is the day I’m running Chicago (my first full!). I am so thankful and relieved for the taper because my IT band has been killing me lately. I completely feel you on the need for sleep when doing long runs.

8. Marlene says:

Like you, I was SOOOO ready for the taper. My mind still played tricks on me, but I enjoyed the extra rest and lower mileage.

Happy Taper!!

9. ohh if you get going on the core work I want workouts! i really need to find something I can stick to consistently

10. oz runner says:

enjoy the taper….this is the time of year for running in the dark and (soon to be) cold, for me…

11. Ms.V says:

LOVE the taper! :)

12. Tara says:

This is the 1st time I actually like taper. Normally, I am a mess! I think too much and during taper I don’t know what to do with myself…yes, I know I am a freak! haha

Great job on getting a morning run in :)

13. I am a mix on the whole taper thing. I do get really excited for the race day though I do enjoy taking it easy. So jealous of where you get to run – on the beach. I just got boring streets with hills.

14. Allison says:

Well this is going to sound ridic but your talk of the marine layer made me miss Cali! Except I experienced reverse marine layer because we would drive from campus to the beach to do our runs. It would be sunny when we left home and cloudy for the run. Perfecto!

15. Alisa says:

I like taper too! I’m not one of those crazy folks who goes all bat sh$t crazy, I relish my extra free time and sleep, hehe.

I’m excited to hear more about Long Beach. I really think maybe in 2010 I’ll be up for the half mary there. That beach path looks amazing. I heart the ocean (despite my recent post about the mountains and the forest).

Miss you!

16. B.o.B. says:

Glad you are getting your taper on. I have pretty much been in taper mode since my ankle injury. It’s been nice, but maddening to not be able to run at all.

I got to run on Sat and Sun and am super excited about it.

Love that you live so close to the beach. I wish I was closer and I’m in Florida! LOL!

17. Melanie says:

Girl, I’m with you! I am THRILLED to be tapering right now.

18. aron says:

haha i am glad you love taper, someone should :) i am hungrier during taper and it makes me crazy!!

19. Lacey says:

the mileage differences don’t bother me– i am more used to short mileages as well. i just get so nervous as a race approaches!!!!

20. cindy says:

i’m more than a little jealous that you live so close to the beach! i remember thinking taper was pretty nice.all the carbs, none of the crazy miles=good times.

21. Elle says:

Thank you so much for your sweet wishes! i can’t believe you run in the dark, I’m a scaredy cat and always afraid I’ll get accosted or ran over or something…

Enjoy your taper!

22. I soooo know what you mean! By the time taper hits, I’m ready for the rest, too. I think what DOES get me is trying to calm down my excitement.

P.S. thanks for introducing me to the new 50 song! Be a millionaire!

23. N.D. says:

haha, I hear you on the taper. I wish my training was a big taper.

24. Marci says:

I have no problem with the taper either. Is it a half or a full you are tapering for? Either way good luck Danica! :)

25. Stevi Honaker says:

Heck I wish I had a bigger taper for my half marathon. I really feel like I could use a break. I have been building mileage since May (with cutbacks of course), but jeez sometimes I wish I could just have a 15 mile week.
    Glad you are getting some rest for the race, enjoy!

26. Glenn Jones says:

I am right there with you and taper. I am so tired from all the miles, I find 30 miles this week pretty refreshing!

Less than two weeks!Woo hoo!

27. Marcia says:

OMG! I am so with you on the taper sentiments! I am loving the break in mileage!

28. Megmehell says:

Tapering makes me feel guilty. But then so do much needed rest days.

29. rioruns says:

For me taper madness = shopping madness. I tend to want to just buy things. Especially things I don’t need. :)

30. Roger says:

I think “taper madness” is an appropriate term – because I find this whole experience to be a bit crazy. This is my first marathon training year. I am at the end of week two of the taper. I am both tired and at the same time – ready to burst with energy. I do and don’t want to run. And the dreams I have been having – wow!

Good luck at Long Beach & Thanks for sharing and giving us tapering runners something to read :)

31. RoadBunner says:

I LOVE taper, too!!!

The week after peak weak for SFM I went to Niketown and saw a shirt that said, “Just Do It; Every Damn Day.”

And I felt like crying, and telling the shirt, “Yes I know! It’s EVERY damn day!!!”

32. test says:

You are so awesome! I do not suppose I have read anything like that before.
    So great to find someone with a few original thoughts on this subject.
    Really.. thank you for starting this up. This website is one thing that’s needed on the
    internet, someone with a bit of originality!

Look into my homepage test