So finally, a long run recap.

So I’ve written this post four times now, fifth times a charm? Hopefully. There was an update that had to be done to my site this weekend and now I’ve been experiencing just the little itty bitty technical difficulty of the website DELETING MY POST. Yea, not too bueno. Anyways, so back this this long run over the weekend. I was meeting up with a new friend to run 18 miles, he was shooting for 20 if time allowed. When I woke up that morning, I just knew it wasn’t my day. It was the same, “ugh, do I really have to run right now, and run this far?” feeling I had before the San Diego Marathon. I have should have seen it coming I tell you! I have been experiencing such great running lately, with me being able to get up early and run, some excellent splits, everything seemed to be in my favor. Now, I feel like when you start to think running is so great and you love it so much, and maybe even being to think that running is so easy and everything is just clicking, it’s like the running gods smack you back down into reality. That was what happened to me on Saturday.

I made my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, even though I should have made them the night before so I could let the jelly sit, but I forgot, so it wasn’t the usual consistency. I took off to the designated meeting place, felt alright, but was really, really tired, which was weird since I went to be at 10:30 the night before. My legs weren’t really wanting to run so I knew that running 18 miles would be a little rough. I am super glad that I ran with my friend though, without him, it would have not happened. So the first 8 miles were fine, nothing special. Mile 8.5 was when things started to get a little sketchy, if you know what I mean. I was getting really hot, and really tired. I had eaten two sandwiches already and then it was one of those, ‘I need a bathroom, and NOW’, moments that we are all to familiar with. FAIL. I felt light headed and sick to my stomach and like I was going to throw up. Not exactly looking to the last 8 miles feeling that way. Luckily, I took a little walk around break and decided to man up and just keep going. If worse came to worse, I’d just throw up. Classy, I know.

We started off again and once I was going I made the executive decision that I wasn’t going to eat again on my run just in case. We had a few hills to conquer and the rest of the run was pretty uneventful. Luckily, we had some nice woman fill up the water bottle with water from a hose, which if you think about it is disgusting, but I’ve come to realize that water is my FAVORITE thing and nothing tastes as good at mile 15 as some water. We really started cruising the last 2 miles and I think it was because I just wanted to go home and I was more than done running. I’m glad I didn’t quit halfway through, but it was not one of my finest moments.

After I got home, I wasn’t too sore, but I knew I would benefit from an ice bath so I took my sweaty self over to the 7-11 and bought three bags of ice. I was a a little disappointed in the fact that my run wasn’t great, but you win some, you lose some. My toes seemed to hold up much better in my new shoes so that was a plus and to my surprise all of our splits were very consistent, which is something I struggle with on long runs. They never were slower than 10:00 and mostly were right around 9:05-9:35, which is pretty decent for me. So I had a bad long run, it seemed to have been in the works for a while, so I’ll take it and leave it in the past.

As for the rest of my weekend, there was some beer pong, some San Clemente time with the roommate and excessive sleeping. I ran without Claude as well for two runs, and it was nice to not have my paces with me. Some times I find it nice to run without him after having a bad run. So cheers to some more good running recaps in my not so distant future hopefully!

cheers

And please take note of those ridiculously cute small limes next to the Corona. I about died.

19 Responses to So finally, a long run recap.

1. Morgan says:

Finally! I have been holding my breathe all evening! :)

You kick @ss on some… and some you just crap out… at least you got it in.

2. rioruns says:

At first I thought it as an extra large bottle of Corona next to regular sized limes. :)

Way to stick it through the run, even though it was tough and you totally didnt want to! Its runs like yours on Saturday, that really make you hardcore! :)

Limes are FREAKING adorable! Are you like me? I buy things sometimes, just cuz they are cute… random lil things! BAD HABIT!!

Sounds like you had a great weekend! :) Enjoy the rest of the week!

4. Joy says:

And you STILL powered through 18 miles with all that going on!

NICE.

5. Rachael says:

oh those are key limes :)
    my sister and I once bought about 30 of those little suckers, rolled them out to make them juicy and then proceeded to juice all 30 of them only to end up with like 2 cups of lime juice. the kicker, the dog ate half the pie when our backs were turned after dinner. fail. haha!
    sorry you had a crappy run, your philosophy on running makes me think that I have a booger of a run to look forward to soon because all of my runs lately have been pretty good :( darn those running Gods and their persistant smacking.

6. Marlene says:

Bummer about the crappy run, but BIG KUDOS for sticking with it. Feeling like that half way through is NOT fun at all.

7. Kirbey says:

Really nothing better than a cold beer after a long run.. of course later that evening.. just saying:)

8. Alisa says:

Everyone has at least one bad run. It will pass.

San Clemente is beautiful! I’m jealous.

Yay for running sans Claude. Sometimes you just need to get out there and enjoy the scenery without worrying about all the numbers.

9. I’m starting to experience the bad run days right in the midst of a good running week or so. I hate it! Glad you didn’t let it get you down.

So, the limes ARE super cute but I definitely looked at the photo and thought, “Holy crap – that bottle of Corona is HUGE! Is that how big they are in California?”

10. Punk Rock Runner says:

Not stopping was a huge victory. Sorry that you were not feeling well but it sounds like even on a bad day you’re faster than me.

11. Tara says:

awwww. what cute lil limes :)

nice job on pushing through and getting that 18 miler done! i’ve been having issues with getting out there and mentally being in it for my long runs post SD, but I think it’s been beneficial and will make me MUB come race day!

12. Niki says:

AMAZING job on the 18 miles! I may never run that far. haha. nice job pushing through it

13. x-country2 says:

Way to knock those miles OUT! And maybe it’s a Nebraska thing, but we always drink from the hose. :o)

14. aron says:

GAH i hate those runs! but you have a good one coming soon :) keep it up girl!

15. Felice says:

Sorry about the tough run. But, you got it done and now it is in the bank.

16. I LOVE those little limes! Great job on your long run, I’m doing 18 miles on Saturday, and to tell you the truth, I’m a BIT scared. But like you, I guess throwing up is the worst possible outcome, right? I’ll make it, I hope!

17. Lacey says:

oh my goodness. did you ever get a bathroom on the run???? i wouldn’t have been able to keep going. way to truck it out. the worst is feeling tired/not with it from the get go. way to go! and i totally go to the store to get bags of ice as well :) the AFTER is SO worth the trouble of the ice bath:)

18. ilovesteaks says:

holy cow! you eat pb&j sandwiches on your long runs? I’ve only ever eaten those at trail races, but even then I usually stick to gels and shot bloks. Anyways getting through a tough run will make you mentally tough. All I know is that you better not let me pass you at Long Beach! :D

19. Stuart says:

Ah well we all have bad un’s, kudos for gutting it out, beer always works and where’s the salt and tequilla?