I already regret this. :)

So yesterday, I asked the twitter world and the blog world if I should post a video that is rather embarrassing of me taking an ice bath. I took the video in the first place because a. I’m an idiot and b. I wanted to show you guys a new idea I had (that many of you maybe have already had but I thought it was brilliant, and, I, at times, can be slow) to make an ice bath not suck so much. Today is Friday and I usually try to post something entertaining or funny, and I guess today I wanted to take it to the next level.

So when I did the walk with DJ, I knew after day one (walking 26.2 miles) we would HAVE to ice bath to be functioning at all the next day (where we had to walk 13.1 more miles). Taking an ice bath really helps get the yuckiness out of your muscles and makes you much less sore. Believe me, ice baths are REALLY CRAPPY, but they also REALLY work. Also, if DJ can take one, you can too. She freaking rocked the ice bath, so get in there and stop complaining. Normally most of the time, unfortunately, I’m cussing while in the ice bath, but luckily this video I kept myself in check. Anyways, if we hadn’t taken them, I doubt we would have been mobile the next day. Seriously. Give it a shot, and you’ll really feel the difference.

That being said, let me tell you a few little somethings about me. I HATE WATER. I am like a cat. Even when I take a shower, I take relatively very short showers, (6-10 minutes max) and also I really don’t like the ocean, or swimming, or anything at all that is water related, besides drinking water of course! This could be because my hair takes forever to do once I wash it, but who knows. I’ve never been very keen on water. Oddly enough my brother loves to surf, is a lifeguard, loves swimming and has webbed feet. HAHA, sorry T-money had to throw that in there! I guess he got the all the love for the water in the family, while I got none. Secondly, I HATE being cold, nay, LOATHE it. I always am bringing a jacket wherever I’m going, and yes, I HATE the snow. I get cold pretty easily since my arms and legs are skeletor status. Mid section, doesn’t get cold so easily, score. So therefore, an ice bath is like my arch-nemesis. Two things I do not like at all.

So, I had the brilliant idea from somehow thinking of putting a frog in boiling water. If you put him in when it’s boiling, he hops out, but if you put a frog in cold water and then boil it, he stays in. I then thought of myself as a frog and this translates to ice baths! See, sometimes my train of thought is a little weird. So when it comes to ice baths, I have an incredibly hard problem when the tub is filled and the ice is in it with sitting down. I get my feet in and stand there whining for a while. Then I can’t get myself to sit down. I know that once I sit down, and give it a minute I’ll be frozen so it doesn’t matter but it’s the fact of sitting my butt down. I thought, what if I filled the tub up with the usual cold water, and then had DJ pour in the ice for me after I was already in? Would it be better? Well let me tell you, this works WAY better for me! It still stinks to sit down in such cold water, but I can do it pretty quickly,  and it’s definitely not as bad as sitting down in ICE COLD water. I can do it only with a few moments of whimpering and breathing noises. Then pouring in the ice, there is some breathing that makes me sound like I’m going to have a baby, but then it’s over and I’m in and already sitting down. Then I just let it freeze for a minute and I’m good to go for the required 10-15 minutes.

So first off, I’m wearing a swimsuit, I’ll let you guys know that in the first minutes of the video. Just make fun of my breathing and especially the whimpering puppy noises when I pour in the 2nd bag. It’s freezing people. I used to have to get in the whirlpool in high school and I hated that too. I was also way smaller in high school so I would sit there and FREEZE and my teeth would chatter, the physical therapists always felt bad for me. So now a days, I put on a sweatshirt and get my iPhone all ready and just let it burn.

Anyways, here’s the video. This solidifies that I’m a freak, and even more so because I just posted it for the world to see. Also, I preface this video with the fact that I hate my voice. Ha ha ha. Enjoy!

On that note!

This weekend I have a 12 MILER. ONLY 12!!! YAY! I am excited to be back on track (figuratively, not literally) and ready to run Long Beach! This Debbie Downer has turned her frown upside down and is ready to rock! My inner cheerleader is back. Okay maybe it’s because I had a pumpkin spice latte and since I never drink caffeine, I could be twitching a little, but hey! It’s the WEEKEND PEOPLE!

62 Responses to I already regret this. :)

1. triblogcarol says:

OMG, that’s amazing. I never thought to sit in the water first, the put the ice in. That seems slightly more tolerable! @snowygrl gave me the idea to use neoprene booties. That way, my feet don’t get so cold. they still get plenty cold, tho!!!!

2. Cary says:

I have never taken an ice bath before. You sounded like you were going to cry!! I can see how it would help you recovery from a long walk or run but I know I’m not that brave.

3. Jamie says:

HAHA! That is hilarious.

My girlfriend always makes fun of the stupid noises that I make when I jump in to the ice-filled tub. I’m glad that I’m not the only one. You just made me feel a little bit better about myself.

I may have make my own similar video too. It could be fun, as long as I don’t drop the camera in the tub…

4. Sarah B says:

Genius…seems like common sense but I never thought of that. Wait to put the ice in once you are already in…great idea. (P.S. I hate my own voice too…so you go with your confidence!)

5. Morgan says:

LMAO! Ok I can’t believe you’ve been getting in AFTER you put the ice in!!!!! Glad you wised up woman! So dying laughing right now! Thanks for posting! ;)

6. Alisa says:

Man you are a wuss! JK I don’t like the cold either but I actually really enjoy ice baths, it’s my time to get rid of the swelling and drink some yummy hot tea!

I can’t do what you did though, the ice and water have to already be in the tub, I can’t throw the ice in after—NO WAY!

7. Erin F. says:

OMG you’re hilarious. I applaud you on 1. sucking it up when it comes to ice baths and 2. posting that video for the world to see. Ha, you should hear me… I sound like some one is torturing me. It’s quite embarrassing :) I’d rather be unable to walk for two days than take an ice bath. But go you!

8. naomi says:

i have never been brave enough to do an ice bath. now i’m inspired to try it. and a big applause for you for posting this! awesome.

9. L.A. Daze says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA I had to put my stifle my laughter…that is so funny ahahahaha but yeah…tu du du…

Thanks for showing! Can’t wait to try one of these.

10. Marlene says:

You are THE BEST and you totally just made my day. :) Thanks for sharing!

11. Marcus says:

The panting reminded me of the scene in that Harrison Ford movie where he drowns Michelle whatshername in the tub. SOOO glad it worked out better for you!

As for me, I’ve given up ice baths in favor of my Zensah compression sleeves… most of the benefit…. zero the pain. :)

M

12. Billy Burger says:

Wow, you are too much Danica. Too much. Hysterical as always ;)

13. Jessica says:

lol. The puppy noises are awesome!

When I’ve done an ice bath I sit in the tub first then start putting in the cold water. I found it helped me adjust a little bit better but it’s till FREEZING! :)

14. I LOVE IT! I am not looking forward to ice baths… But I have to tell you I laughed so hard and you do sound like a puppy! :) Happy Friday, friend!

15. Lisa says:

Too funny! If that were me you wouldn’t hear me breathing funny you’d hear me dropping f-bombs all over the place. Whenever I work up the courage to do an ice bath I’ll definitely try your method since I hate to be cold too.

16. Susan says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who makes those noises during ice baths…I always hope that no one can hear me! I think that it helps to keep my toes out of the water and to sit in the tub while the cold water is running. Helps adjust, just like slowlyyyyy getting into a pool that you think is chilly!

You are one brave soul.

17. Ahahahahha – so at one point I couldn’t tell if the whimpering was due to nearly cracking up or being on the verge of an ugly cry!

LOL Hilarious!

18. Kristen says:

OMG! That was hilarious! I loved the shaking of the camera right before you put the extra bag in…hilarious!
    I have never taken an ice bath…not sure if I even want to now. :-D
    Thanks for sharing!

19. Lacey says:

hehehe!!! i always get in the ice bath after it is full. it’s just SHOCKING but… it works for me.

you and aron were the two girls to get me to finally get in and do it. thank you!!!!!!!

happy weekend!

*oh and i can’t believe you don’t like water! i feel SO much better after a great shower… i could stay in there forever :) and i loooooooooove the ocean !!!! you have an accurate description “like a cat” hehe

20. Amanda says:

I never thought to try an ice bath with this method. I’m like you, I HATE being cold. I was able to get thru a couple ice baths this summer but I cannot imagine what it will be like trying to take one when it’s cold outside. Ouch and Brrrr!!

21. Angielou Harris says:

HAHAHAHAA!!! Thanks for sharing — I cracked up watching this!
    I’m too much of a wuss to brave the ice bath, myself :-)

22. aron says:

lol you are hilarious… when i did my “ice queen” post a while back i said that is the KEY to ice baths! getting in before the ice is in :) definitely much easier!!

23. Tara says:

most epic post ever!!!! Seriously we all sound like we’re giving childbirth in ice baths…nice job on not cursing…I am normally dropping f-bombs left and right! Have a great run this weekend!!!!

24. Cory says:

This is the way I have been doing it. It gives my wife some enjoyment to be able to pour the ice on me.

25. Markemmanuel says:

hiLARIOUS! You sound like you’re enjoying torture. Oh wait… you’re a long distance runner.

–mark–

26. Glenn Jones says:

So what was that catchy tune? “Da da daah”?

And remember – even though the frog doesn’t jump out, he still becomes stew (try it sometime).

This video goes in my all time favs! Still wiping tears from my eyes….

27. Dave says:

Hahahaha!!! I remember sitting in ice baths after football practice. I used to make the same “take my breath away” panting noises too. Ahhh…..memories.

28. Melanie says:

Hahaha, I LOVE it. That’s exactly how I take my baths as well… usually with more squealing!

29. N.D. says:

oh my gosh. You are hilarious

30. Vanilla says:

Psshhhh. Ice baths are for suckers. I hot tub after runs. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I would have been cussing and dropping the fbomb like it was goin outta style! This is freaking funny girl- i’m teary eyed from laughing so hard! I’m curious to the sounds i would make when entering the tub LOL!!!!!!

good luck on 12 mileage twinnie!

32. rioruns says:

You did verrrry well! I do the…put ice in tub of water…sit in the tub slowly with death grip on tub edge…continue with squeals between fast breaths for my 10 minutes. I’ll try your method next time. :)

33. Zach says:

I don’t have a tub, so therefore can’t do an ice bath… lucky me! :-) Thanks for sharing and starting my weekend off with a laugh!

34. Niki says:

Love it!! Very funny:) I make the same weird noises too! Haha.

35. OMG that video is friggin hilarious!!

36. Ms.V says:

That was hilarious.

37. Marci says:

Hubs and I just watched your video together and had a good giggle… LOL. Thanks!

38. J says:

OH my! I wish I had taken a video of myself getting into the cold tub at school with my three other girl teammates. We would be making those same sounds cause it is cold!!

39. Denise says:

That’s how I take my ice baths!! Andy actually enjoys dumping the ice in for me…sicko.

40. Amy Reinink says:

Brilliant. That’s all I have to say: Just. Brilliant.

41. Omigosh! I’ve watched the video three times and have to watch it some more! You are hilarious! I love how you “must” sit down…and the heavy breathing is pretty funny too! LOL! Love it!

42. Natalia says:

haha I love it! I am glad to know that I am not the only one out there who makes whimpering noises and lets out some bad words during ice baths!

I totally agree that ice baths make a HUGE difference. My first marathon I decided not to take an ice bath afterwards and I could barely walk for 5 days straight. My second marathon I forced myself to take an ice bath and I was as good as new the very next day.

People, it WORKS!

43. omg that is freaking hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woman you are BRAVE. :)

44. Pingback: that’s right- i vlogged « happy go lucky

45. Page says:

Muahahahahahahah!

You kill me! Friggin’ hi-lar-i-ous!

46. kristen says:

Your a goof ball and I love it!! I prefer to just suffer for the first minute and get in ice cold. The way you do it sounds like a slow painfull death. Quick and easy – yeah, thats me :)

Thanks for the tips on a good race photo. I’ll do all those things on marathon day — that is if I can remember to smile at mile 20(ish). Yikes!

47. Kate Tate says:

i l♥ve it!!! i’m not the only freak!!! i braved mine for 15 min. today and was thinking about video-ing it with the ipod… maybe next time!