Getting lost.

So you see, this morning my run was suppose to be a good run, with a few hills along a new route that I had recently found. I live in an area where a bay travels throughout much of it, and sometimes if you get stuck on one side of the bay it’s quite a hassle to get back around to the other side. I got up extra early and took off after Claude found a satellite. I felt decent but my legs were a tad heavy. They usually are in the mornings. I’m chugging along, enjoying my new route, looking at all the pretty houses and just enjoying that everything is working okay once again. I get to mile 4 and think to myself, alright I have only three more miles. I run past lots of fun things, the duck park, Woodrow Wilson High School, (the high school that the movie, Freedom Writers was based on) The Long Beach Lawn Bowling Club, The Dog Park, The Long Beach Casting Club (weird, right?), Two golf courses, and everything is just going swimmingly. The clouds were like pink and blue cotton candy dotting the sky, and I felt like I could reach out and touch their fluffiness and it made me hungry. It wasn’t dark and I wasn’t scared like usual either.

I reach the little park that I am suppose to cut through and start jogging down knowing that I’ll be home soon and ready for work in no time and that I had tackled all the little hills already throughout the run. I start thinking hm, I hope this park has a bathroom. La da da, run, run, run through the nice little park, run, run, run, stop. Stop because the park dead ends. Dead ends into the bay. I looked like the biggest idiot and there was no bathroom. I was this close to being home and I couldn’t cross the bay and I had to run ALL the way around the bay and back up the street which tacks on an extra three miles to my house. I looked around and I was pretty defeated. I was tired and a sweaty mess, and normally I don’t sweat all that much. I thought to myself, well idiot head, you got yourself here now you have to go back around and get home before your late to work. I turned around, ran back through the not so nice little park anymore, and had to run up another large hill before I was on the home straight away. It wasn’t that bad of a run, and besides being a little bit tired, I was fine, but I just didn’t want to run that far since I have the walk this weekend.

Oh that’s right. The Walk. I kind of almost forgot about it, but it’s here. Hooray. I know I’ll be fine during it but I’m more nervous about getting bored. I’m really thankful that my roommate is doing it with me. Oh yea, another thing, I don’t walk. So that will be entertaining, along with the other participants in the event I’m sure. It will be really fun and I’m excited and nervous about it. I just hope it isn’t too hot, that’s my main concern.

Funny how so many of you sing in your car as well. That makes me feel better about my singing. And everyone gets scared! Just like me! It seems like we all think people who aren’t running are out to get us. Interesting. Oh and a little reminder. Don’t eat eggs before you run, or you’ll be ready to throw up after mile 2, and don’t eat some weird chicken patty from Trader Joes the night before either. Ugh.

sunset

20 Responses to Getting lost.

1. Marlene says:

Okay, now that’s out of the way…

I think I would have cried if I thought I was so close to home, only to discover that I’m sooo far away and nowhere near a bathroom. At least you managed to squeeze in some extra miles!

Hope you made it to work on time.

2. Morgan says:

Getting lost SUX!!!! Glad you made it back safe and sound and non the worse for wear. :)

3. Jess says:

I’ve had that happen too on a run except I never had to deal with being on the run side of a bay. Just chalk it up to some nice extra mileage lol!

4. Rachael says:

peanut butter and toast before a run! always! never eggs … yueck!

5. J says:

Good luck with the walk! i am sure it will be fun and not boring since you will be with people.

6. Shannon says:

Don’t mix diet coke and peanut butter either… Makes for a nice trip to heartburn city! :]

7. Jenny says:

I could totally see myself doing the same thing! I think I would have cried a little.

Good luck on the walk this weekend! And NO RUNNING, even if no one is looking! (Okay, maybe if no one is looking…)

8. You are brave to tackle new routes early in the AM…I don’t trust myself to think straight on morning runs…

Have fun with your walk this weekend!

9. Melanie says:

I definitely have had some runs like that! I’ve even had some where I counted so wrong that I ended up walking a mile or 2 back to my car because I ended up too far out and just couldn’t run any more.

10. KatieA. says:

You are tooo cute! I have so had a run like that – where I think I am almost home but really, I am miles away. I have the worst sense of direction and it costs me extra miles all the time!
    You are gonna rock the walk this weekend – so excited for you and can’t wait for a full report! ;)

11. L.A. Daze says:

Too bad you’re not training for a triathlon. You could have swam across the bay! Good luck on the walk this weekend!

GOOD Luck this weekend! I’m so thankful you are walking for such a great cause! I wish i was out there, id totally walk to support you girl! I’ll be thinking of you this weekend!!! :)

13. Rachel says:

this is too funny! Although if it was me I would have completely freaked out :)

14. Emily says:

Best of luck this weekend! You’re awesome.

15. Allison says:

You’ll do great this weekend! I once got lost running in the woods (not real woods, I think they were even part of the school campus, but enough to confuse me) and I was super late for class…I know that feeling! You could have forded the river, Oregon Trail style!
    xoxo!

16. Awe, sorry about the eggs and sandwich but I love that photo!

17. Glenn Jones says:

What a great photo Danica! At least you’re still running. I need to get off the stick here and get motivated. I’m still recovering after last weekend tho….

18. kristen says:

Girl you need to get that nutrition figured out ASAP. I just read your long run report, and I can’t say I feel bad for you since you ended up running sub 10 pace :) Ok, I kinda feel bad. You should try gels again. Maybe only take half of a gel in quicker increments….I don’t know. I used to have a problem with them and that’s what I did. Now I can take a whole one no problem.

19. Alisa says:

At least it was pretty!

I’ve gotten lost before and had to do extra miles, it’s not fun. Especially if you need: a) a bathroom or b) water.